PDA

View Full Version : DBR Security Fundraiser

-jk
07-31-2018, 10:49 PM
DBR has been using the same software for a while now and it’s time for a for a security upgrade – both adding encryption ("https" in your browser) and upgrading the board software itself (but not the look and feel). It’s not something the volunteer admins and mods can do; it requires some changes from the host. It's also not something we want to ask SBN for; we've been granted special status to operate these boards outside of the regular SBN comment system and we want to keep it that way.

It is going to cost a bit of money, though, so we’re asking for your help.

If everyone who visits the DBR boards in a single day (now, in the doldrums of the off season – and not everyone comes here daily) pitched in $5, we’d probably cover it. We won’t delude ourselves that everyone will chip in. So, we’re asking, what’s DBR worth to you? A latte? A month of Netflix? A month of streaming TV service? An amount equivalent to a dollar a week for, say, a year? (Sorry, no DBR tote bags...)

We’ll do this in a quick and low-cost manner, using PayPal. Send a private message (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=128) to -jk for the details (it’s an added layer of security for us!). Not a registered member of the community or can’t remember your login to PM? Use the Contact Us (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/sendmessage.php) link and it'll email -jk.

Thanks for your support in keeping this the best sports board - and community - out there!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-03-2018, 11:26 AM
For the price of a cup of coffee once a decade, you can put a smile on Duke fans worldwide!

OldPhiKap
08-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Plus for every $10 you donate, DBR will send you a cinder block autographed by a mod.

Collect them all!

(I guess I have to say that I'm joking before we get an Uncle Milty moment. So, um, don't sit by the mailbox waiting for your cinder block. Plus, Jason Evans' autograph cost at least $25).

PackMan97
08-03-2018, 11:37 AM
For every poster that does not donate, Carolina will hang a banner in the Dean Dome!

Don't let Carolina win!

-jk
08-05-2018, 06:04 PM
It looks like the boards are now updated and secure. If anyone has any trouble, please let us know.

Thanks again to everyone who's helped us out with it!

-jk

Troublemaker
08-05-2018, 08:28 PM
If anyone has any trouble, please let us know.I'm not seeing an option to create links without knowing the BBCode. Unsure if I'm the only one. As always, thanks for the hard work!

-jk
08-05-2018, 08:48 PM
What sort of links?

-jk

Troublemaker
08-05-2018, 10:59 PM
What sort of links?-jkJust a regular link to an article, for example. Actually, I just noticed that's not the only thing missing. There used to be a menu of options to, for example, bold text, italicize text, insert a link, insert an image, etc. That menu is now missing, at least for me.

gep
08-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Just a regular link to an article, for example. Actually, I just noticed that's not the only thing missing. There used to be a menu of options to, for example, bold text, italicize text, insert a link, insert an image, etc. That menu is now missing, at least for me.

Menu of options missing for me too. Also, the emojis on the right side don't insert into the text for me... so I have to use this ;-)

devildeac
08-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Just a regular link to an article, for example. Actually, I just noticed that's not the only thing missing. There used to be a menu of options to, for example, bold text, italicize text, insert a link, insert an image, etc. That menu is now missing, at least for me.

My menu is also missing as are the emoji transfers to "real" pictures. Hence:

:-(

-jk
08-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Can you check which editing mode you're in?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

Message Editor Interface:
-Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
-Basic Editor - A simple text box
-Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls

When posting messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

-jk

devildeac
08-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Can you check which editing mode you're in?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions

-jk

I'm not sure I ever selected that before.

I'll select Enhanced Interface for $100, please, -jk.

Troublemaker
08-06-2018, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure I ever selected that before.I'll select Enhanced Interface for $100, please, -jk.Ditto. I'm using the Enhanced Interface.

devildeac
08-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Ditto. I'm using the Enhanced Interface.

Changeover from Standard Editor to Enhanced Interface made no difference to me as I'm still unable to use the bold/color/size/image/video features and my emojis still don't work.

Double :-(

devil84
08-06-2018, 11:43 AM
Try the editor now. I fixed a few things and I'm seeing the buttons in the editor again.

And emojis. ;):D:p

devildeac
08-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Try the editor now. I fixed a few things and I'm seeing the buttons in the editor again.

Fixed! Thanks!!!!

You da best!! (-jk is not chopped liver, either :o)

PSurprise
08-06-2018, 01:41 PM

When I try to upload a jpg, the image keeps rotating 90 degrees. I've tried rotating the image and then saving it, but it still comes up sideways. :\

-jk
08-06-2018, 01:47 PM
When I try to upload a jpg, the image keeps rotating 90 degrees. I've tried rotating the image and then saving it, but it still comes up sideways. :\

I don't think DBR has ever followed pic metadata that tells the orientation. What does the pic do when opened in other software? Can you rotate it and save it, then upload it?

-jk

OldPhiKap
08-06-2018, 01:56 PM
My VCR keeps blinking 12:00 (—:—) 12:00 (—:—) 12:00.

All help appreciated, thanks in advance.

Troublemaker
08-06-2018, 02:00 PM

It's back to normal for me. Thanks devil84 and -jk- and others for your hard work!

devildeac
08-06-2018, 02:01 PM

I *think* OPK started the sideways or upside down pictures on DBR:rolleyes:. I always attributed that to smoke inhalation from his BGE and/or an extra dram of some 18 year old Scotch. ;)

PSurprise
08-06-2018, 02:17 PM
I don't think DBR has ever followed pic metadata that tells the orientation. What does the pic do when opened in other software? Can you rotate it and save it, then upload it?

-jk

Yeah, I tried that. It keeps rotating it 90 degrees of the original photo, no matter what orientation I save it as. Very strange. It is a mobile photo, so that might be an/the issue.

Indoor66
08-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Heck, I'm too dumb to know any difference. :confused::o:cool:

fuse
08-06-2018, 05:06 PM
It looks like the boards are now updated and secure. If anyone has any trouble, please let us know.

-jk

Thank you. No more insecure login notification.

I definitely appreciate how the collective of mods and admins take care of the DBR community.

Again, thank you!

TruBlu
08-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Is your VCR Beta or VHS. I can maybe help you if it’s a Beta. I have never messed with those new-fangled VHS models.

OldPhiKap
08-06-2018, 05:27 PM
I *think* OPK started the sideways or upside down pictures on DBR:rolleyes:. I always attributed that to smoke inhalation from his BGE and/or an extra dram of some 18 year old Scotch. ;)

Yeah . . . Let’s go with those excuses — er, explanations.

Is your VCR Beta or VHS. I can maybe help you if it’s a Beta. I have never messed with those new-fangled VHS models.

VHS, baby. I’m high cotton.

(I don’t understand all of this discussion, but glad DBR is here for us and happy to support efforts to keep this user-driven format alive. Y’all rock. And appreciate y’all putting up with my foolishness).

Rich
08-06-2018, 07:02 PM
No more insecure login notification.

I see what you wrote, but I think of this: "Sorry, but you will not be allowed to login to our network because you seem to lack confidence and we sense your anxiety."

ChillinDuke
08-06-2018, 07:42 PM

-jk

Well that was fast.

- Chillin

MChambers
08-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I tried that. It keeps rotating it 90 degrees of the original photo, no matter what orientation I save it as. Very strange. It is a mobile photo, so that might be an/the issue.

Don’t do it while lying on your couch!

NSDukeFan
08-07-2018, 05:50 AM

I turn it off and on again. If that doesn’t help, I’ve got nothing.

Indoor66
08-07-2018, 09:02 AM
A 9mm?

Highlander
08-07-2018, 09:06 AM

What's a VCR?

/sarcasm

94duke
08-07-2018, 10:31 AM

I can help with this.
All you need is some black electrical tape and scissors.
:cool:

devil84
08-07-2018, 10:40 AM

I turn it off and on again. If that doesn’t help, I’ve got nothing.

Method 1: You'll need a strip, maybe two, of electrical tape. Place the strips over the blinking time. Problem solved.

If this doesn't meet your needs, try Method 2.

Method 2:
1. Unplug the unit from the TV and the wall.
2. Remove the unit and place in your car.
3. Drive to the electronics recycling center and leave the unit there.
4. Call your adult children, grandchildren, or other technology-savvy person and have them help you select technology from this century. No blinking times on these newfangled little boxes (and much easier to carry, to boot!).

Hope this helps! :D

[ETA: Looks like 94duke beat me to it!]

UrinalCake
08-07-2018, 12:17 PM

You’ll have to edit the EXIF metadata in the jpg itself (or use a tool to do it for you).

https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

jacone21
08-10-2018, 09:06 AM
Not sure if it has been reported, but Chrome is blocking a few scripts when I access the forum. The scripts are either hosted on non-secure sites or have mixed content warnings. Here are the ones that are blocked when I view this thread.

http://yui.yahooapis.com/combo?2.8.0r4/build/yahoo-dom-event/yahoo-dom-event.js&2.8.0r4/build/connection/connection-min.js
https://secure.quantserve.com/quant.js
http://ox-d.sbnation.com/w/1.0/jstag

BigWayne
08-10-2018, 05:56 PM

What are you using to rotate it?

For all my image needs for many years, I have used Irfanview, (https://www.irfanview.com/) which is unsurprisingly offered by a guy named Irfan.
It's simple, fast, clean, and free.
Whenever I rotate an image with Irfanview, it seems to work when I upload it.

YmoBeThere
08-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Plus for every $10 you donate, DBR will send you a cinder block autographed by a mod.

Collect them all!

(I guess I have to say that I'm joking before we get an Uncle Milty moment. So, um, don't sit by the mailbox waiting for your cinder block. Plus, Jason Evans' autograph cost at least $25).

I send funds on August 7th but haven't gotten my cinder block yet. Who should I contact?

OldPhiKap
08-18-2018, 03:24 PM
I send funds on August 7th but haven't gotten my cinder block yet. Who should I contact?

Ummm . . . They’re probably held up in customs. Damn tariffs and all.

devildeac
08-18-2018, 04:47 PM

Call Tre. I heard he has all the stones.