PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NFL, 2018 season

Acymetric
07-30-2018, 12:12 PM
So, it seems appropriate to go ahead and start this one, although we're starting it with some bad news both for Duke fans and Panthers fans...apparently Cockrell went down with a pretty severe leg injury (so bad that they actually canceled the rest of practice, apparently). I have not watched any of the videos, so do so at your own risk.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/panthers_lose_another_starter_as_cb_ross_cockrell_ carted_off_with_leg_injury/s1_12680_26926979

Best wishes for Ross, and look forward to some more positive updates on our guys in the coming weeks/months!

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2018, 01:12 PM
Wow, that sucks. I was really looking forward to watching a few Cockrell pick sixes. It's a long season, but injuries like that usually don't bode well for seeing him in action any time soon. :(

HereBeforeCoachK
07-30-2018, 01:53 PM
speaking of Devils and the Panthers, whatever happened to Jeremy Cash?

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2018, 02:02 PM

He was released after injuries. Is now signed with the Cardinals.

CDu
07-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Cash played sparingly on special teams as a rookie. Last year, he was waived midseason by the Panthers. He was signed and waived by three other teams throughout the season. He now is with the Cardinals.

Bob Green
07-30-2018, 03:08 PM
Here is the ESPN article on Cockrell:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24234877/ross-cockrell-carolina-panthers-injures-leg-practice

The Carolina Panthers suffered their second potentially serious injury in less than a week as cornerback Ross Cockrell went down screaming and holding his left leg on what would be the last play of practice on Monday.

Not good news...

HereBeforeCoachK
07-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Here is the ESPN article on Cockrell:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24234877/ross-cockrell-carolina-panthers-injures-leg-practice

Not good news...

The Duke curse? Tell Jamison to step carefully......

Bob Green
07-30-2018, 04:54 PM
Per the pantheon of knowledge (Twitter), Cockrell has two broken bones in his leg and requires surgery:

@josephperson

Surgery for Panthers’ Ross Cockrell. He broke two bones in his leg. He will eventually end up on injured reserve. Tough break for a good guy.

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2018, 05:02 PM
Per the pantheon of knowledge (Twitter), Cockrell has two broken bones in his leg and requires surgery:

Sigh. :(
Although...broken bones heal faster than ACL injuries, right? So we could still see him this season?

CDu
07-30-2018, 05:57 PM
Although...broken bones heal faster than ACL injuries, right? So we could still see him this season?

Highly unlikely. The tibia handles a lot of weight. Usually 3-6 months for the bones to mostly heal, then a bunch of rehab to rebuild leg strength and mobility lost from immobilization/lack of use.

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Highly unlikely. The tibia handles a lot of weight. Usually 3-6 months for the bones to mostly heal, then a bunch of rehab to rebuild leg strength and mobility lost from immobilization/lack of use.

No Cockrell this year. :(

Former Blue Devil Ross Cockrell to miss 2018 season after injury at Panthers camp
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/former-blue-devil-ross-cockrell-carted-off-from-panthers-practice-monday-with-injury-/17735617/

jimsumner
07-30-2018, 06:49 PM

I just hope we see him next season.

CDu
07-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Yeah, it is the type of injury from which there is no guarantee of full recovery, and at best it takes a LONG time to recover from. 12-18 months sounds like the “norm”. So there is a real chance he is out next year too.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-30-2018, 08:25 PM

WTF happened like that....on the last play of practice???

skysdad
07-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Really hate that for him. Was looking forward to a Duke player playing for the Panthers and see him play every week. Hope this is not career ending.

Acymetric
07-30-2018, 09:23 PM
WTF happened like that...on the last play of practice???

Well I have seen some reports that it was the last play, but others that were more specific and said that they canceled the remainder of practice (so it might have been towards the end, but was not meant to be the last play until the injury). Can't verify that fully, but the injury was reported pretty early in the day for it to be the end of practice, with the caveat that I don't actually know what their practice schedule is.

As for how it happened, truly a freak injury.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-31-2018, 08:41 AM
I am glad that Cockrell signed a new contract with a $2.4 million guaranteed signing bonus. I'm not an expert on the odd dynamics of NFL contracts so I'm not sure how much else of the 2 year, $6.6 million deal he signed is protected regardless of injury but if he has any trouble rehabbing, at least he has a nice nest egg. But hopefully he will be back playing next year or the year after!

tbyers11
07-31-2018, 09:15 AM

Yeah, it is the type of injury from which there is no guarantee of full recovery, and at best it takes a LONG time to recover from. 12-18 months sounds like the “norm”. So there is a real chance he is out next year too.

I have some personal experience with this type of injury. I suffered what sounds like a very similar injury during high school in 1994. It was my right leg and I was playing soccer. My right foot got pinned to the ground by another players foot as I was following through with my attempt to kick the ball. I had a fractured tibia/fibula combo. I had surgery that night to place a titanium rod inside my tibia that is still there 24 years later. I had a walking boot and crutches for a month, the boot for another few weeks and was cleared for running/contact about 2.5 months after. However, it probably took another 1-2 months before my leg muscles/achilles (from foot drop) were back to normal.

I wasn't an NFL player but I was in pretty good shape as a 17 year old high school athlete and I worked my butt off and it took 5 months to be back to "normal". I also didn't have a compound fracture and both bone breaks were high enough that my ankle wasn't messed up (no screws/plates needed). No ligament/tendon damage besides not being used.

While I don't know the exact details of Cockrell's injury, I'd estimate best case would be 5-6 months before he could be in NFL game shape. That definitely lands him on IR for the year. However, if he "only" broke the bones I think he would have a very good prognosis to be able to play in 2019.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-31-2018, 09:37 AM
Ice skating, using rented skates that only fit so so - I got caught up in a crowd and took a bad fall, breaking a bone in my ankle, exploding all the soft tissue, and breaking another bone higher up my leg. (I think tibia) Had to be carried off by ambulance, with my kids (young at the time) crying and freaking out. It was the worst pain I ever felt.....every little bump in the ambulance ride.

The tibia break was undiagnosed for several hours, and the ER techs wouldn't believe how much pain I was in. Felt like my leg was lit on fire....and I did briefly pass out from the pain. They kept ratcheting up my pain meds til something gave me some relief.

This is a painful combination of injuries, and it sounds like some other posters have enjoyed this combo in their lives as well.
Thoughts and prayers to Cockrell

moonpie23
07-31-2018, 01:23 PM
aw man....that's awful.....what a bummer.......hope he recovers....

Bob Green
08-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Here is a Shaun Wilson article discussing the impression he is making on the Tampa Bay Bucs coaching staff:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/08/03/shaun-wilson-keeps-hearing-hes-too-small-hes-making-a-big-impression-on-the-bucs/

"He's small in height, but he's got really good quickness,'' said Bucs coach Dirk Koetter. "Really good vision. He can burst and he's smart. There's been plenty of short in stature running backs have success in the NFL. I think he's somewhere between 185 and 190 weight wise. He's got some leverage when he tries to run with power and he can make guys miss."

jimsumner
08-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Here is a Shaun Wilson article discussing the impression he is making on the Tampa Bay Bucs coaching staff:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/08/03/shaun-wilson-keeps-hearing-hes-too-small-hes-making-a-big-impression-on-the-bucs/

Players in Wilson's position usually carve out a roster spot via special teams. At the very least, I think he could help an NFL team as a kick-off returner.

Assuming the NFL still has kickoffs.

rsvman
08-05-2018, 12:19 PM
As a Redskins fan, I'm looking forward to another awesome season of Jamison Crowder; I'd like to see him get back to the level of productivity he had in the 2016-2017 season. He's a very talented player.

Acymetric
08-05-2018, 05:45 PM
As a Redskins fan, I'm looking forward to another awesome season of Jamison Crowder; I'd like to see him get back to the level of productivity he had in the 2016-2017 season. He's a very talented player.

I think he fits really well with Alex Smith, I'm expecting at least somewhat of a bounce back.

Bob Green
08-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Shaun Wilson gets more ink leading up to tonight's preseason game:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/5-bucs-to-watch-against-miami

He’s a good between-the-tackles runner and when he gets space, he’s fast. He’s been an absolute work horse with the second and third teams in practice and has been a contributor on special teams as well. That’s where he’ll make his bread if he wants to make the roster.

:cool:

Let's go Shaun! All Duke fans are rooting hard for you.

EDIT: Yuck, this article says Wilson has missed the last two practices with an undisclosed injury: https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/08/09/bucs-vs-dolphins-tonight-ten-position-battles-to-watch/

Undrafted rookie Shaun Wilson is the wild card here, and he isn't likely playing, having missed the last two practices with an undisclosed injury. Wilson has turned heads on returns and with his quickness, and keeping him could be at the expense of either Rodgers or Sims.

Faison1
08-12-2018, 11:57 AM
Just heard a radio interview with Laken Tomlinson out here in SF. That guy is impressive. I haven't kept track of what's going on, because I'm pretty upset with the Niners these days, but it sounded like they just paid him a big bonus. Our radio guys spent about 20 minutes with him, and afterwards couldn't stop talking about how awesome of a guy he is.

From what they said, the Lions scheme just didn't fit for him, but the Niners seem to be working out really well.

He's definitely a great ambassador for Duke. Wants to build a hospital in Jamaica in memory of his Uncle when he's done playing.

swiseman
08-13-2018, 03:30 PM
More tough news for former Duke players in the NFL. Jeremy Cash tore up his knee on Saturday night. He'd recovered a fumble and returned for a touchdown earlier in the game for the Cardinals. Sounded like he had a good chance to make the team. Cutcliffe told me he's spoken to both Jeremy and Ross Cockrell about their injuries and rehabs. Here's a little something I wrote about it:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article216597310.html

Bob Green
08-25-2018, 05:55 AM
Shaun Wilson returned five kick-offs for 133 yards (26.6 avg) with a long of 39 yards for Tampa Bay last night. His best opportunity to make the roster is via special teams; however, the door has been opened for him due to an injury to Charles Sims:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/08/23/bucs-place-running-back-charles-sims-on-injured-reserve-with-leg-injury/

The loss of Sims opens the door for rookie Shaun Wilson, an undrafted free agent from Duke.

Wilson also caught a pass for 11 yards and rushed three times for 10 yards.

Avvocato
08-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Shaun Wilson returned five kick-offs for 133 yards (26.6 avg) with a long of 39 yards for Tampa Bay last night. His best opportunity to make the roster is via special teams; however, the door has been opened for him due to an injury to Charles Sims:

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/08/23/bucs-place-running-back-charles-sims-on-injured-reserve-with-leg-injury/

Wilson also caught a pass for 11 yards and rushed three times for 10 yards.

Sounds very promising that Shaun can make the team. Let’s hope. Good for him.

https://twitter.com/nflstroud/status/1033192432425426944?s=21

HereBeforeCoachK
08-28-2018, 09:41 PM
More tough news for former Duke players in the NFL. Jeremy Cash tore up his knee on Saturday night. He'd recovered a fumble and returned for a touchdown earlier in the game for the Cardinals. Sounded like he had a good chance to make the team. Cutcliffe told me he's spoken to both Jeremy and Ross Cockrell about their injuries and rehabs. Here's a little something I wrote about it:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article216597310.html

man, what a bummer.....Cash was simply one of the most dominant defensive players I've ever seen at Duke.....

CameronBornAndBred
08-28-2018, 09:50 PM
Ross Martin was waived today.

Bob Green
08-31-2018, 07:17 AM
Shaun Wilson rushed seven times for 44 yards (6.3 avg) and caught two passes for 24 yards in Tampa Bay's final preseason game. He was Tampa Bay's leading rusher. Did he do enough? It is wait and see time.

Acymetric
08-31-2018, 07:43 AM
At the very least he'll get stashed on the practice squad (assuming he clears waivers) of they don't keep him on the roster.

JasonEvans
08-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Shaun Wilson rushed seven times for 44 yards (6.3 avg) and caught two passes for 24 yards in Tampa Bay's final preseason game. He was Tampa Bay's leading rusher. Did he do enough? It is wait and see time.

It would be a better sign if he had not played at all in the game or if he had only played a couple series as that would be a sure sign they plan on keeping him. The final preseason game is largely for guys that you do not care about getting hurt.

Bob Green
08-31-2018, 10:58 AM
It would be a better sign if he had not played at all in the game or if he had only played a couple series as that would be a sure sign they plan on keeping him. The final preseason game is largely for guys that you do not care about getting hurt.

Shaun Wilson is fighting for the last running back slot on the roster so his future is certainly up in the air. I read a couple of articles on Tampa Bay sites this morning that indicate they believe Wilson will make the cut.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/30/bucs-jaguars-nfl-preseason-studs-duds-bobo-wilson-ronald-jones/

Wilson has consistently been on the other end of the spectrum. An undrafted free agent out of Duke, Wilson played his best game yet Thursday night, leading the team with 45 rushing yards on just eight carries, and adding 24 yards on a pair of receptions. With his versatile skill set, ability to contribute in the return game, and the injury and departure of Charles Sims, Wilson should have the last running back spot locked up after his performance.

Bucs 2nd Round draft choice Ronald Jones rushed 10 times for 4 yards so while I acknowledge your [bold] point I do not 100 percent agree with it. I'm sure TB cares about Jones' health although the article I linked above characterized Shaun Wilson a Stud and Ronald Jones a Dud.

Roster cuts have to be complete by 4 pm Saturday.

Bob Green
09-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Here is another indication Shaun Wilson will make Tampa Bay's 53 man roster:

Rick Stroud
@NFLSTROUD
Bucs have released RB Dare Ogunbowale. First reported by @gregauman. Good practice squad player candidate

The Bucs also released a couple of wide receiver/kick returners.

nmduke2001
09-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Shaun Wilson posts to Instagram that he’s made Tampa’s 53 man roster!

Acymetric
09-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Shaun Wilson posts to Instagram that he’s made Tampa’s 53 man roster!

Awesome! Great for Shaun, hope to hear about a few others sticking around (in addition to the ones who are already locked in)!

jimsumner
09-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Green Bay named Austin Davis to their practice squad.

sagegrouse
09-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Barring any new developments, Matt Skura (undrafted free agent in 2016) is slated to start for the Raven at center. Here's some material from the Ravens:

What Matt Skura Needs to Show to Start

There doesn’t appear to be much of a competition at center right now as Matt Skura is the only one getting first-team reps. However, Skura needs to keep getting better to fill the void left by Ryan Jensen’s departure in free agency.

Skura started 12 games at right guard last season after Marshal Yanda went down with his broken ankle. However, his natural position, and what he played throughout college at Duke, is center.

As he enters his third season, the former undrafted lineman is still learning what it takes to be a starting-caliber center.

“The biggest thing for me is being able to hold my own against the big nose tackles and also being able to manage an offense – being able to take Joe [Flacco’s] call in the huddle, decipher it, and then go out and read the defense and make sure everyone’s on the same page,” Skura said.

One of Skura’s strengths is his communication and his smarts. He’s good at reading defenses, and he’s only gained more experience doing that considering all the exotic blitzes he sees from the Ravens defense in practice.

Skura is more of a technician while Jensen was known for his size, brute strength and nastiness in the trenches. But Skura doesn’t count out seeing some of that from himself.

“I save those things for the game for sure,” Skura said with a smile. “Definitely, taking that physical and nasty attitude to the game is something I want to continue to do.”

JasonEvans
09-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Just wanted to alert everyone to what an important season this is for Jamison Crowder. His 4 year deal with the Redskins is up after this year. He will be an unrestricted free agent and, if he has a good season, he will be in line for a big payday. Heck, even making it to this season was a game-changer in terms of money for Crowder. His salary last season was just $615k. This year it will be $1.9 mil. Put another way, he will make more money this year ($1.9 mil) than in his 3 previous seasons combined ($1.575 mil total).

-Jason "Alex Smith is known to really feed his slot receivers (Smith is not a big arm, go for broke QB). I would expect Crowder to have a decent shot at 80+ receptions this year" Evans

rsvman
09-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Just wanted to alert everyone to what an important season this is for Jamison Crowder. His 4 year deal with the Redskins is up after this year. He will be an unrestricted free agent and, if he has a good season, he will be in line for a big payday. Heck, even making it to this season was a game-changer in terms of money for Crowder. His salary last season was just $615k. This year it will be $1.9 mil. Put another way, he will make more money this year ($1.9 mil) than in his 3 previous seasons combined ($1.575 mil total).

-Jason "Alex Smith is known to really feed his slot receivers (Smith is not a big arm, go for broke QB). I would expect Crowder to have a decent shot at 80+ receptions this year" Evans

As a Redskins fan, I really hope you are right.

Reilly
09-09-2018, 12:50 PM
Austin Davis with Packers practice squad: https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Packers-add-four-players-to-practice-squad-121347067/

Skura starting with Ravens.

Crowder starting with Redskins.

Wilson to return kicks: https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/09/06/bucs-rookie-shaun-wilson-to-return-kickoffs-against-saints/

What else?

Faison1
09-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Austin Davis with Packers practice squad: https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Packers-add-four-players-to-practice-squad-121347067/

Skura starting with Ravens.

Crowder starting with Redskins.

Wilson to return kicks: https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/09/06/bucs-rookie-shaun-wilson-to-return-kickoffs-against-saints/

What else?

I know Laken Tomlinson is starting for the Niners

Chillduck
09-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Lucas Patrick is a back-up offensive lineman for Green Bay.

jimsumner
09-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Vinnie Rey, Bengals.

arnie
09-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Are both Cash and Cockrell out for the entire year?

Bob Green
09-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Shaun Wilson with one kick-off return for 29 yards and one rush from scrimmage for six yards in his NFL debut.

jimsumner
09-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Are both Cash and Cockrell out for the entire year?

Yes.

arnie
09-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Yes.

Thomas Hennessy - long snapper on the Jets roster. I don’t remember him.

BD80
09-10-2018, 08:14 AM

Hennessy VS? Very Special teamer?

wilson
09-10-2018, 08:24 AM

Hennessy VS? Very Special teamer?OP? Old Punter?

budwom
09-10-2018, 08:38 AM

Ha, you don't remember him, Arnie, because he was really good at what he did...not sure I can remember a single bad snap from him at Duke...

elvis14
09-10-2018, 10:18 AM
As a Redskins fan, I really hope you are right.

As another Redskins fan I hope that Crowder has a big year and I hope that the Redskins can find the $$ to resign him.

JasonEvans
09-10-2018, 12:03 PM
As another Redskins fan I hope that Crowder has a big year and I hope that the Redskins can find the $$ to resign him.

Jamison with 3 receptions on 4 targets for 32 yards in game one. Alex Smith didn't throw to the WRs that much as the game place was run with AP and pass to RBs and TEs. That's what an Alex Smith team is all about.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-10-2018, 01:24 PM

If I recall correctly, Ross Martin recommended Hennessy to the Jets at the end of training camp a couple of years ago when Ross was trying to make the team. Ross was the last cut and the Jets kept TH.

Hard to believe that Ross Martin hasn't latched on to some team yet. Keep kicking, Ross, you'll get there! :cool:

Avvocato
09-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Shaun Wilson with one kick-off return for 29 yards and one rush from scrimmage for six yards in his NFL debut.

Additionally, just saw that for the opener, the Bucs activated Shaun over their second round pick, running back Ronald Jones out of USC (I didn't realize Jones was inactive). Jones had a horrible preseason, and Shaun was used as Tampa Bay's kick returner in the opener. However, many teams will give the benefit of the doubt to their high draft picks. Good to see that Shaun has worked his way not only on to the roster, but was active on game day. He earned his spot, but it doesn't always work out that way. Good for him, and good for Tampa Bay for recognizing it.

Reilly
09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Texans practice squad: https://sports.yahoo.com/m/91e549d7-ed6f-3ba6-b909-011333625c90/texans-sign-cb-breon-borders%2C.html

BD80
09-13-2018, 09:29 PM
Laken doing well with the 49rs.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/laken-tomlinsons-smarts-skills-fit-205417045.html

I guess being smart isn't an asset with the Lions :(

martydoesntfoul
09-16-2018, 05:00 PM
With 29 yards on 2 carries, Crowder led the Redskins in rushing today...

accfanfrom1970
09-16-2018, 05:03 PM
With all the kicking woes so far today I hope some team gives Ross Martin a chance.

Bob Green
09-16-2018, 05:13 PM
With all the kicking woes so far today I hope some team gives Ross Martin a chance.

The Browns cut Ross Martin for Zane Gonzalez:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24702033/zane-gonzalez-kicking-woes-cost-cleveland-browns-close-loss-new-orleans-saints

This 21-18 defeat came down to two missed extra points and two missed field goals by Zane Gonzalez. The last missed field goal was from 52 yards, snapped with 8 seconds left as the Browns frantically tried to send the game to overtime.

arnie
09-16-2018, 05:23 PM
With 29 yards on 2 carries, Crowder led the Redskins in rushing today...

Gave up on the skins a few years ago after many decades of fandom. Daniel Snyder has dramatically changed my Sunday afternoons. Glad to see Crowder had a 25-yard carry, but overall doesn’t bode well for the skins this year or next decade.

Reilly
09-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Had forgotten about Vinny: http://www.nfl.com/player/vincentrey/2507843/profile

Playing but not many tackles ... special teams? Backup? Injured?

HereBeforeCoachK
09-16-2018, 06:19 PM

That Brown's shanker wanker had one of the best ever college kicking careers. What a bad day.

martydoesntfoul
09-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Gave up on the skins a few years ago after many decades of fandom. Daniel Snyder has dramatically changed my Sunday afternoons. Glad to see Crowder had a 25-yard carry, but overall doesn’t bode well for the skins this year or next decade.I hear you. Snyder exhibits some pretty reprehensible behavior...

JasonEvans
09-17-2018, 08:08 AM
That Brown's shanker wanker had one of the best ever college kicking careers. What a bad day.

There's a reason Matt Bryant still has a career despite the fact that he is 59 years old (kidding, he's actually 43). We Falcon fans are thrilled to have him and will gladly keep paying him until Social Security kicks in.

--Jason "Bryant isn't even the oldest kicker in the league. Vinatieri has a couple years on him" Evans

jimsumner
09-17-2018, 12:04 PM
I hear you. Snyder exhibits some pretty reprehensible behavior...

I grew up as a Yankees fan and a Redskins fan. When Steinbrenner was running the Yankees, I figured I would just outlive him.

I did. I long outlived George Preston Marshall.

Snyder? He's 14 years younger than me.

Something to shoot for.

JasonEvans
09-17-2018, 12:26 PM

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24702033/zane-gonzalez-kicking-woes-cost-cleveland-browns-close-loss-new-orleans-saints

The Browns are cutting Zane Gonzalez (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1041673264546885634). It is not clear who will get the job, but you would have to think they would at least consider Martin. Supposedly, they are also looking at Blair Walsh and Cairo Santos. The Browns GM was in KC when Santos was the kicker there.

wilson
09-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Jamison Crowder caught a touchdown pass for Washington today.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-23-2018, 05:54 PM
Jamison Crowder caught a touchdown pass for Washington today.

Yes he did, and he seems to be running about one jet sweep a game....but his routes are getting shorter and he doesn't return punts anymore. Has he lost a step? He is one of my all time favorite Devils....

jimsumner
09-23-2018, 09:55 PM
Yes he did, and he seems to be running about one jet sweep a game...but his routes are getting shorter and he doesn't return punts anymore. Has he lost a step? He is one of my all time favorite Devils...

Crowder was a great punt returner at Duke. But he was never able to transfer that at the next level. He was reliable, made the routine plays but rarely popped a long one.

Special teams are a way for marginal players to make an NFL roster. But it's dangerous. Crowder is not a marginal player anymore and I suspect not returning punts will add some time to the end of his NFL career.

HereBeforeCoachK
09-24-2018, 05:49 PM
Crowder was a great punt returner at Duke. But he was never able to transfer that at the next level. He was reliable, made the routine plays but rarely popped a long one.

Special teams are a way for marginal players to make an NFL roster. But it's dangerous. Crowder is not a marginal player anymore and I suspect not returning punts will add some time to the end of his NFL career.

In 2016 he was considered one of the best in the league, and his average was high, and that's when he had his one 85 yarder for a TD, and another 52 yarder that flipped the field (amazing return, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLln1bGoXg)

His average was not great in 2015, and he never got going that well in 2017, due to being dinged up, receiving or returning...so maybe they're trying to keep him healthier by not returning punts. According to Aikman, on some commentary, Washington drafted him primarily as kick returner. I'm not sure that's accurate...but punt returning and slot receiving translate well together...

Fun fact: Overall about 1% of punts that are returned, go for TDs. Jamison has one in 84 attempts.

BD80
09-24-2018, 06:15 PM
… Fun fact: Overall about 1% of punts that are returned, go for TDs. Jamison has one in 84 attempts.

They should get him returning punts again! In just 17 more returns, he'll take one to the house!

BigWayne
09-24-2018, 06:33 PM

Article about that competition: http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20180813/zane-gonzalez-vs-ross-martin-browns-kickers-play-mind-games

Should have kept Martin it seems. Added bonus is that he is from the Cleveland area.

Bob Green
09-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Shaun Wilson had lots of kick off return opportunities last night but Pittsburgh kept him bottled up:

5 returns for 68 yards with a long of 17 yards.

Bob Green
11-04-2018, 07:46 AM
Shaun Wilson will be on the active roster today:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/buccaneers-panthers-final-injury-report-curry-and-mccoy-could-return

With [Ronald] Jones out due to a hamstring injury, fellow rookie Shaun Wilson will be active again after sitting out the last four contests.

Perhaps some Blue Devil magic will carry over from Saturday evening to Sunday afternoon.

BigWayne
12-30-2018, 04:47 AM
Max McCaffery will be joining his fellow alum Laken Tomlinson on the field for the 49ers Sunday. (https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-promote-wr-max-mccaffrey-dl-ryan-delaire-to-active-roster)

Bob Green
12-30-2018, 07:44 AM
Max McCaffery will be joining his fellow alum Laken Tomlinson on the field for the 49ers Sunday. (https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-promote-wr-max-mccaffrey-dl-ryan-delaire-to-active-roster)

That's good news. Hopefully Max will see game action and make a catch or two.

jimsumner
12-30-2018, 12:13 PM
That's good news. Hopefully Max will see game action and make a catch or two.

He's been flirting with playing in an actual game for several years.

Inasmuch as the Niners aren't exactly playing for playoff positioning, there's no reason not to give him a chance to show them what he can do.

Reilly
12-30-2018, 11:41 PM
Good highlights of #68 Matt Skura in the video ("best runs ...") embedded in this article: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-capture-first-afc-north-title-since-2012-with-thrilling-win

-jk
12-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Jamison Crowder (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/free-agent-jamison-crowder-has-high-interest-level-returning-redskins/?utm_term=.98a06b3d7725) as an unrestricted free agent...

-jk

arnie
12-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Jamison Crowder (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/12/31/free-agent-jamison-crowder-has-high-interest-level-returning-redskins/?utm_term=.98a06b3d7725) as an unrestricted free agent...

-jk

Interesting comments from Skins fans; not unanimous that they should pay him FA long term money. Of course with Snyder ownership, not sure I’d want to play for a perennial loser.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-31-2018, 05:43 PM
Interesting comments from Skins fans; not unanimous that they should pay him FA long term money. Of course with Snyder ownership, not sure I’d want to play for a perennial loser.

Isnt he another one of the Charlotte area Devils? His hometown team could surely use some WR help (though they need outside help more than slot).

Reilly
01-01-2019, 11:58 AM

-jk

Best of luck to Jamison.

One of the real mysteries to me is that Conner Vernon did not find similar NFL success. It's a thin line to make it in the league, it seems.

Jamison Crowder: b. 6/17/1993 ... played at Duke 2011-2014 (played as true frosh)
Conner Vernon: b. 8/18/1990 ... played at Duke 2009-2012 (played as true frosh)

Jamison Crowder: 2015 draft-- 105th overall pick
Conner Vernon: 2013 draft - unselected (254 selections)

Jamison Crowder: 283 receptions at Duke/3641 yards/23 touchdowns
Conner Vernon: 283 receptions at Duke/3749 yards/21 touchdowns

Jamison Crowder: 5-8, 185 pounds ... 4.56 40 ... 37 vertical ... 103 broad jump ... 7.17 3-cone ... 4.32 shuttle
Conner Vernon: 6-0, 196 pounds ... 4.68 40 ... 32.5 vertical ... 125 broad jump ... 6.93 3-cone ... 4.22 shuttle
(https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/nfl-combine-results.cgi)

Jamison Crowder: 2018 salary $1.9 million (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/salary.htm)
Conner Vernon: ??

sagegrouse
01-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Best of luck to Jamison.

One of the real mysteries to me is that Conner Vernon did not find similar NFL success. It's a thin line to make it in the league, it seems.

Jamison Crowder: b. 6/17/1993 ... played at Duke 2011-2014 (played as true frosh)

Jamison Crowder: 5-8, 185 pounds ... 4.56 40 ... 37 vertical ... 103 broad jump ... 7.17 3-cone ... 4.32 shuttle
Conner Vernon: 6-0, 196 pounds ... 4.68 40 ... 32.5 vertical ... 125 broad jump ... 6.93 3-cone ... 4.22 shuttle

Jamison Crowder: 2018 salary $1.9 million (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/salary.htm)

Some significant differences in athleticism in speed, jumping. Then there's Jamison's amazing horizontal catch for the winning score against UNC.

Meanwhile the big $$ question about Conner Vernon - he is with Morgan Stanley in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area, which is his home area. Probably doing OK -- spent some time doing social media for the family real estate business.

Reilly
01-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Some significant differences in athleticism in speed, jumping ...

CV had the advantage in 3 of the 5 measured; one where JC bested CV -- vertical by 4.5 inches -- perhaps offset by CV's 4-inch height advantage? I'm not sure which (if any) of the measurables best correlates to success in the tight quarters of life as a slot receiver in the NFL, but was surprised CV had better measurables in several categories. Most of all, they both seemed to excel in terms of competitiveness and toughness, and that's why I'm surprised one made it and one did not.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 01:19 PM
CV had the advantage in 3 of the 5 measured; one where JC bested CV -- vertical by 4.5 inches -- perhaps offset by CV's 4-inch height advantage? I'm not sure which (if any) of the measurables best correlates to success in the tight quarters of life as a slot receiver in the NFL, but was surprised CV had better measurables in several categories. Most of all, they both seemed to excel in terms of competitiveness and toughness, and that's why I'm surprised one made it and one did not.

Jamison was far more athletic on the field in games, regardless of what the measurable were. Opponents respected CV. Opponents feared and game planned for Jamison.

jv001
01-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Jamison was far more athletic on the field in games, regardless of what the measurable were. Opponents respected CV. Opponents feared and game planned for Jamison.

Both were tough as nails, but Jamison was fearless. Loved them both. GoDuke!

nmduke2001
01-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Best of luck to Jamison.

I took a look at the 2018 NFL Draft combine page. Of the wideouts that participated in the 40, 4.68 seconds was the second slowest. Connor was likely too slow to earn a roster spot.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 03:05 PM
I took a look at the 2018 NFL Draft combine page. Of the wideouts that participated in the 40, 4.68 seconds was the second slowest. Connor was likely too slow to earn a roster spot.

Conner also was not a punt return threat, unless I'm mis-remembering. I loved Vernon, but he was nowhere near as dynamic as Crowder was IMO.

Bob Green
03-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Reports are the NY Jets are signing Jamison Crowder to a 3 year 28.5 million deal with 17 million guaranteed. Congratulations to Jamison Crowder!

Bonus is Jets actually have a QB which is more than the Redskins can say. :cool:

DU82
03-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Reports are the NY Jets are signing Jamison Crowder to a 3 year 28.5 million deal with 17 million guaranteed. Congratulations to Jamison Crowder!

Bonus is Jets actually have a QB which is more than the Redskins can say. :cool:

Geez. He goes from the worst team in the NFC to the worst team in the AFC.

(So says this unbiased Giants fan.). :rolleyes:

Bob Green
03-11-2019, 05:30 PM
Geez. He goes from the worst team in the NFC to the worst team in the AFC.

(So says this unbiased Giants fan.). :rolleyes:

However, Jets have potential to ascend while Redskins are clearly descending.

elvis14
03-11-2019, 09:34 PM
However, Jets have potential to ascend while Redskins are clearly descending.

Sorry no. The Redskins have led the league in injured players the last two years. This gives the illusion that they are descending. They are not. It's kind of like saying that UNCheat is better than Duke because the beat us twice (once without Zion and once without Bolden and Zion).

-jk
03-11-2019, 10:38 PM
Sorry no. The Redskins have led the league in injured players the last two years. This gives the illusion that they are descending. They are not. It's kind of like saying that UNCheat is better than Duke because the beat us twice (once without Zion and once without Bolden and Zion).

The Redskins still have one Daniel Snyder...

(Trade him! Please?)

-jk

arnie
03-12-2019, 06:48 AM
The Redskins still have one Daniel Snyder...

(Trade him! Please?)

-jk

Or buy him out - maybe the Green Bay approach. Or imminent domain. Anything!

elvis14
03-12-2019, 10:52 AM

I'd pitch in! Every Redskins fan I know will pitch in!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-12-2019, 11:28 AM

non compos mentis?