PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #121 with Boston Celtics owner (and Duke dad) Steve Pagliuca

JasonEvans
07-27-2018, 05:36 PM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-121-with-steve-pagliuca

0:00 Thanks Byrd Campbell for supporting the pod
0:25 Sam welcomes us to the podcast. Donald is in Utah and that isn’t even the craziest place we are broadcasting from this week.
1:40 Sam is in Durham, NC… his new home!
4:40 We have a special guest, Steve Pagliuca – owner of the Boston Celtics, a former Duke player, and the dad of two former Duke players!
6:55 Jason says hi to Steve and congratulates him on getting a NBA team full of Dukies.
8:00 Donald asks about Steve’s relationship with the basketball program as a player and as a parent.
10:20 Steve talks about his memories of the 2004 Final Four game where his son lost to UConn and reflects on how close Coach K is to the players, even the walk-ons.
12:20 Fast forward to 2015 and Steve discusses Nick and the guys winning the national title.
13:35 Donald wants to know which of the Pag brothers are better at basketball.
14:35 Steve talks about being on the Duke Board of Trustees and reflects on how much the school has changed since he attended in the mid-1970s.
17:00 Steve tells us about how he won the campus-wide 1-on-1 championship, which included a championship match at halftime of a game in Cameron.
18:40 Jason talks to Steve about how he happened to buy a NBA team.
22:00 Jason wants to know if Danny Ainge is an unfair advantage over the rest of the league which leads Steve to tell the story of how they hired him to run the team.
24:55 Steve talks about how the Celtics got Jayson Tatum.
26:50 Steve admits even he was shocked at how good Tatum was as a rookie.
28:20 Jason asks about how the league has changed over the years, especially the one and done rule.
30:53 Steve answers the “Best Coach K story” question with a tale of how K reacts to a poor practice session.
33:30 Jason has to ask, would Steve mind if Brad Stevens left the Celtics for Duke. Steve says “I bleed green and I bleed blue…”
35:20 We react to the interview with Steve Pagliuca.
37:02 We divert into a talk about playing sports with your children and Jason lays down the law!
39:50 Why doesn’t Duke still have a one-on-one campus wide tournament?!?!
41:30 We love that Pagliuca considers Semi to be part of the Celtics.
42:55 Again, we thank Byrd Campbell, our faithful sponsors.
43:15 The non-conference schedule is out. Jason says it is really tough and talks about how good Indiana’s Romeo Langford is going to be.
47:00 Donald has audio problems and, no, we are not editing it out.
48:10 Donald is back and he tells us about how excited he is for us to be playing Eastern Michigan.
52:35 Sam leads us on a look at Dukies in the NBA making news. We begin with Grayson Allen’s summer.
55:25 Jason talks about the Dukies on the Kings, Bagley and Giles.
58:25 Donald fills us in on Trevon Duval getting a 2-way deal with the Bucks.
1:00:55 Sam asks Jason about the Dukies on the Bulls and Jason raves about Carter’s play this summer.
1:05:40 Parting Shots – Donald on whether Lebron James has a chance to be a winner in LA.
1:12:50 Parting Shots – Jason on Duke’s recent NBA success and how it affects the Duke Hatred Tsunami.
1:16:45 Parting Shots – Sam talks about Jay Williams doing a great interview with Bill Simmons.
1:18:25 Goodbye and don’t miss our next episode when we interview another former Blue Devil superstar!!

juise
07-27-2018, 10:50 PM
I haven’t listened yet, but I am glad to hear mention of the JWill interview with Simmons. The Coach K locker room story he told would have fit in perfectly with the stories that you all have gotten from former players. It was a pretty classic one.

Atldukie79
07-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Terrific interview with Steve Pagliuca!

The fact that father and 2 sons played for Duke is great trivia.

It begs the question....which family claims the most Duke basketball seasons with one of their family members on a team?
The Plumlees or the Pagliucas?

Also,If I am not mistaken, Steve Pagliuca would have been a teammate of Alex O'Connell's father, Dave.

Oh what a tangled web...

JasonEvans
07-28-2018, 01:51 PM
It begs the question...which family claims the most Duke basketball seasons with one of their family members on a team?
The Plumlees or the Pagliucas?

Well, Steve never made the Duke varsity. I believe he only played on the freshman team and he never earned a varsity letter (at least that is what his official Duke Trustee bio (https://trustees.duke.edu/trustees/stephen-g-pagliuca-t77)shows). So, the Pagliuca family technically only has 8 seasons: 2004, 05, 06, 07 and 2014, 15, 16, and 17.

The Plumlees would have 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16, also 8 seasons.

It would be pretty hard to break the 8 season record. That would require three brothers really spaced apart or a father-son-son trio, which I am not aware of in Duke history. This question feels like it need Jim Sumner or someone like that to give a definitive answer.

-Jason "Alex and Dave O'Connell would seem to have a good shot at matching the record" Evans

JasonEvans
07-28-2018, 05:11 PM
It would be pretty hard to break the 8 season record. That would require three brothers really spaced apart or a father-son-son trio, which I am not aware of in Duke history. This question feels like it need Jim Sumner or someone like that to give a definitive answer.

I checked the GoDuke Statsgeek database for people with the same last name and then checked to see if they were brothers or father/sons.

Clay & Jay Buckley have 7 total seasons. Jay was not eligible as a freshman which is the only reason they don't get to the magical 8 number.

Ryan and Justin Caldbeck each show only 3 seasons lettering, so they get to 6 total season.

Dick Crowder had a brother, John, who played for Duke several years before Dick arrived. But, the two of them combined for just 4 letters.

Jordan Davidson had 4 letters... but Patrick only had 2, despite being an absolute legend! (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8690-Patrick-Davidson-is-an-Urban-legend)

Andre and Johnny Dawkins are in no way related. Same with David, Phil, and Gerald Henderson ;)

If Sean Kelly, Ryan's younger brother, had stuck with it they had a chance to reach the 8 season club, but Sean only lettered one year and then moved on to focus more on his studies.

-Jason "I got through the Ms (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/all.php)and need to do something else. I'll keep looking later" Evans

devilsince1977
07-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Doesn't Matt Christensen beat them all by himself.

I checked the GoDuke Statsgeek database for people with the same last name and then checked to see if they were brothers or father/sons.

Clay & Jay Buckley have 7 total seasons. Jay was not eligible as a freshman which is the only reason they don't get to the magical 8 number.

Ryan and Justin Caldbeck each show only 3 seasons lettering, so they get to 6 total season.

Dick Crowder had a brother, John, who played for Duke several years before Dick arrived. But, the two of them combined for just 4 letters.

Jordan Davidson had 4 letters... but Patrick only had 2, despite being an absolute legend! (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8690-Patrick-Davidson-is-an-Urban-legend)

Andre and Johnny Dawkins are in no way related. Same with David, Phil, and Gerald Henderson ;)

If Sean Kelly, Ryan's younger brother, had stuck with it they had a chance to reach the 8 season club, but Sean only lettered one year and then moved on to focus more on his studies.

-Jason "I got through the Ms (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/all.php)and need to do something else. I'll keep looking later" Evans

JasonEvans
07-28-2018, 11:13 PM

Found another 7. Gary and Lee Melchioni. Again, freshman eligibility keeps Gary from getting 4 letters which keeps them from reaching the 8 of the Plumlees and Pagliucas. I foolishly stated earlier that the O'Connells had a shot at reaching 8, but I now realized they too will only be able to get to 7 unless Alex has a redshirt year.

Has anyone heard of Fred and Paul Schmidt? They are both from the Philadelphia area and played for 3 years each in the late 50s and early 60s. I'm betting they are brothers. If so, they are another 6 year pair.

Ok, that is it. Here are the most years with a family member on a team:

8 - Plumlee, Pagliuca
7- Melchioni, Buckley (potentially O'Connell)
6- Caldbeck, Davidson, and maybe Schmidt

-Jason "well, that was fun..." Evans

Atldukie79
07-29-2018, 07:23 AM
Ask and ye shall receive!
Nice work, Jason.

UrinalCake
07-29-2018, 03:53 PM
Shouldn’t we be counting the total number of player-years earned by a family? If two members are on the team at the same time, that should count as two. By that metric, I don’t think anybody will top the Plumlees’ 12. And it would be 13 if you could Marshall’s redshirt year.

Family National Titles would be another interesting exercise. Again I think the Plumlees win with 3 (Miles and Mason in 2010, Marshall in 2015).

sagegrouse
07-29-2018, 04:29 PM
Shouldn’t we be counting the total number of player-years earned by a family? If two members are on the team at the same time, that should count as two. By that metric, I don’t think anybody will top the Plumlees’ 12. And it would be 13 if you could Marshall’s redshirt year.

Family National Titles would be another interesting exercise. Again I think the Plumlees win with 3 (Miles and Mason in 2010, Marshall in 2015).

Buckley pere et fils have six Final Fours, including Duke's first two, and one National Championship.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'And if you add in Tar Heel Bruce, Jay's frere, who played from 1973-1977, there are seven family FF's. Perhaps Bruce's should count as "minus one" in this contest'

devildeac
07-29-2018, 05:02 PM
Buckley pere et fils have six Final Fours, including Duke's first two, and one National Championship.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'And if you add in Tar Heel Bruce, Jay's frere, who played from 1973-1977, there are seven family FF's. Perhaps Bruce's should count as "minus one" in this contest'

Depends. Was dean already cheating by then? Likely, we'll never know.

Furniture
07-30-2018, 09:50 PM
Great podcast again guys. Well done to Sam for being back at Duke. This should make the pod even better!!
My only complaint was that I couldn’t hear the Steve Pagliuca part very well while I was cutting my grass. I had the skip through and listen later but it was worth it.
Thanks