PDA

View Full Version : Best NCAA Champ?

fuse
07-26-2018, 06:46 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/2586159-all-time-champions-1996-kentucky-rick-pitino-antoine-walker-tony-delp#ixzz1tYPPabnX

I don’t recall seeing this when it was new.
I respect Mike DeCourcy, can’t say I think he got #1 correct.

fuse
07-26-2018, 04:21 PM
Wow. Clearly not the off season cannon fodder I thought it could be :rolleyes:

duke2x
07-26-2018, 06:22 PM
DeCourcy's Cincinnati roots are showing. He might even have lived in KY when he was writing for the Post or Enquirer and might still live in Florence Y'all or Covington for all I know. It's the equivalent of the Charlotte Observer putting 2005 or 2009 UNC at the top.

I will readily concede the 1996 Kentucky team is one of the best I've seen, however. I would have liked to see that group play the 1999 Duke squad.

subzero02
07-26-2018, 07:34 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/2586159-all-time-champions-1996-kentucky-rick-pitino-antoine-walker-tony-delp#ixzz1tYPPabnX

YmoBeThere
07-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Why does the byline say Steve Greenberg when I look at it?

CDu
07-26-2018, 09:52 PM
DeCourcy's Cincinnati roots are showing. He might even have lived in KY when he was writing for the Post or Enquirer and might still live in Florence Y'all or Covington for all I know. It's the equivalent of the Charlotte Observer putting 2005 or 2009 UNC at the top.

I will readily concede the 1996 Kentucky team is one of the best I've seen, however. I would have liked to see that group play the 1999 Duke squad.

Unfortunately, the 1999 Duke squad doesn’t qualify for the discussion.

Billy Dat
07-27-2018, 02:06 PM
While it's easy to quibble with any list, I think that the most egregious over-rating is 2008 Kansas being the 3rd best champ.

gotoguy
07-27-2018, 05:56 PM
2001 Duke beats all those teams with senior Shane. Well except maybe 92 and that would depend how much gas Laettner had left in the tank.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-27-2018, 06:27 PM
2001 Duke beats all those teams with senior Shane. Well except maybe 92 and that would depend how much gas Laettner had left in the tank.

92 is my pick....and you have to assume gas in the tank for all involved. And I think 2001 is a possibility as well.

As for those talking 99, well, the subject is best "champ' - and while 99 was certainly the best team over all that year, they were not champs.

Catlover
07-27-2018, 09:43 PM
My favorite duke national basketball championship team was the 2010 one with Kyle Singler, Nolan Richardson, Jon Shyer, Greg Zoubek, Lance Thomas, etc. They were not overly talented, but they gave a great effort!

jv001
07-27-2018, 11:44 PM
My favorite duke national basketball championship team was the 2010 one with Kyle Singler, Nolan Richardson, Jon Shyer, Greg Zoubek, Lance Thomas, etc. They were not overly talented, but they gave a great effort!

You mean Nolan Smith? Nolan Richardson coached the Arkansas Razorbacks. GoDuke!

CDu
07-28-2018, 08:45 AM

You mean Nolan Smith? Nolan Richardson coached the Arkansas Razorbacks. GoDuke!

Also, BRIAN Zoubek, and Jon Scheyer.

House P
07-28-2018, 10:54 AM

Sure, those guys were the starters, but don’t forget that there were several others who played important roles in the 2010 championship.

Who will ever forget the timely 3 pointers Johnny Dawkins hit to help Duke get past Baylor. And don’t underestimate the many contributions made by the Plumlee twins that year. Assistants coaches Tom Collins and Detective Wojciehowicz also played key roles during practice.

Without a doubt, the 2010 Duke team is certain to go down as one of best teams in the long career of Coach Kay Yow.

:):):)

HereBeforeCoachK
07-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Who will ever forget the timely 3 pointers Johnny Dawkins hit to help Duke get past Baylor.
:):):)

I'm not sure if you were having fun with the other poster....or whether you conflated Johnny and Andre.

But you're right, we get blown out by Baylor without Dawkins little run of 3s....

Wander
07-28-2018, 12:01 PM
While it's easy to quibble with any list, I think that the most egregious over-rating is 2008 Kansas being the 3rd best champ.

Yeah, I have never heard of anyone ranking that team was one of the all-time best champions in these sorts of lists. Maybe they put a lot of weight on kenpom, which ranks them highly, but having multiple tournament games go down to the buzzer should disqualify them from the top 5 even though they were very good. I think this year's Villanova team was better...

Edouble
07-29-2018, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure if you were having fun with the other poster...or whether you conflated Johnny and Andre.

But you're right, we get blown out by Baylor without Dawkins little run of 3s...

Read it again... the entire post is a spoof from start to finish.

Duke79UNLV77
07-30-2018, 12:34 PM
I don't like lists that make me click on a new page for each rung of the list, but I would go with the 92 Duke team in the expanded NCAA tournament era. If not for Hurley breaking his foot in the first half against uncHeat that year, they would have gone undefeated, to go with their back-to-back titles, and there would be little debate. They also won some big games, even without Hurley and without Grant that year.