PDA

View Full Version : Duke mbb stats webpage-> fan engagement website

Vinit
07-24-2018, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, I am a student at Duke University. Currently, Duke Basketball is trying to convert their media stats website to a fan engagement website. However we need to know what you want before we develop this product. WE want to know what are some of your burning questions about Duke Basketball? What type of coverage and analysis do you want to see? We created a survey (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MrX7edjb_T_VSTWG-z6ud9M_05c_MyqkikwqQuVYdCk/edit) that will take only 60 seconds to compleete. Your input will give our team a better understanding of what you may want. There is an option in the survey where you can provide your email to help Duke Basektball redesign the website. Your information and feedback will be held private.
Also, check out the stat website (http://dukehana.lsiconsulting.com:8000/Duke_University/duke_mbb_stats/WebContent/index_new.html). It is really cool. It has options where you can compare any Duke basketball player or year against each other to see who was the better player or which was the overall better year during season, postseason, etc.

Please take the survey and comment about what you like and dont like about the website. Let us know what are some cool features that you want on here. THANKS ;)

SCMatt33
07-24-2018, 03:37 PM
I know you're looking at it from more of a development/features standpoint, but while you're at it, I think there's an opportunity to clean up historical data. I remember looking at old chronicles from the trinity days a few years ago on a whim and sometimes found things in there that either didn't exist or even contradicted what's in the stats database. Obviously records from 100 years ago can be very spotty, but I'm sure Duke has some kind of newspaper archive subscription that could be utilized to verify those results.

Vinit
07-28-2018, 02:21 PM
I know you're looking at it from more of a development/features standpoint, but while you're at it, I think there's an opportunity to clean up historical data. I remember looking at old chronicles from the trinity days a few years ago on a whim and sometimes found things in there that either didn't exist or even contradicted what's in the stats database. Obviously records from 100 years ago can be very spotty, but I'm sure Duke has some kind of newspaper archive subscription that could be utilized to verify those results.

You bring up an excellet point. Is there way possibly to display historical information or individual stats or player comparisons in a way that utilizes the database of stats of all the other players?

Vinit
07-28-2018, 02:25 PM
I really like looking at Duke players stats and historical stats. As much as basketball is a visual feel game, I feel we can learn a lot and be entertained from statistics and the way it is displayed to show us trends and insights. Do you guys know of any websites that show cool stats that give insight into players and seasons? Like KenPom is cool but its so dry looking. IS there one for Duke you know of? Also, why do you like or not like looking at Duke bball stats? I am super interested in your guys perspective and opinion.

WELL GO DUKE!

Bob Green
07-28-2018, 06:22 PM
Like KenPom is cool but its so dry looking.

The stats are important not the visual effects.

Indoor66
07-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Additionally stats are dry, as well.

Vinit
07-28-2018, 08:29 PM
I really like looking at Duke players stats and historical stats. As much as basketball is a visual feel game, I feel we can learn a lot and be entertained from statistics and the way it is displayed to show us trends and insights. Do you guys know of any websites that show cool stats that give insight into players and seasons? Like KenPom provides interesting information but its so dry looking as a fan. I like five thiry eight, but wish it was more focused on colllege basketball. IS there an interactive stats website for Duke that you know of? Also, why do you like or not like looking at Duke bball stats? What kind of trends would you like to see or what type of Duke basketball insights would you like to engage with with stats. I am super interested in your guys perspective and opinion.

WELL GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
07-28-2018, 09:50 PM
I like my statistics like I like my martinis — dry, dirty, and with a twist.

NSDukeFan
07-28-2018, 10:18 PM
I would like a searchable way to see rankings of players all-time for points, rebounds etc.

Indoor66
07-29-2018, 07:46 AM
I like my statistics like I like my martinis — dry, dirty, and with a twist.

Shaken, not Stirred?

dukelifer
07-29-2018, 08:06 AM
You could have team pictures from all the years and then click on a face and it would pull up the stats of that player.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Shaken, not Stirred?

I get confused for James Bond a lot. Unfortunately for me, it’s because I favor George Lazenby as opposed to the other portrayers.

-jk
07-29-2018, 10:47 AM
I really like looking at Duke players stats and historical stats. As much as basketball is a visual feel game, I feel we can learn a lot and be entertained from statistics and the way it is displayed to show us trends and insights. Do you guys know of any websites that show cool stats that give insight into players and seasons? Like KenPom provides interesting information but its so dry looking as a fan. I like five thiry eight, but wish it was more focused on colllege basketball. IS there an interactive stats website for Duke that you know of? Also, why do you like or not like looking at Duke bball stats? What kind of trends would you like to see or what type of Duke basketball insights would you like to engage with with stats. I am super interested in your guys perspective and opinion.

WELL GO DUKE!

Being able to export stats into csv would be nice...

-jk

Saratoga2
07-29-2018, 06:40 PM

-jk

Someone posted a very interesting clip about how recruits coming into the program and really all players go through extensive testing, equivalent and essentially identical to what happens at the NBA Chicago pre-draft camp. All the drills and measurement are taken and the players made aware of what they may face if they get invited. They are also measured extensively and in a high tech way with high technology involved. I found all that fascinating as to the level of detail that is gone into. It did sort of beg the question as to why with so much measurement sophistication, the published heights and weights of the players on the roster have been shown to be inaccurate in some cases. Is it gamesmanship that is involved. I can't believe it is carelessness.

I realize this is not the type of stat that is being talked about in this thread, but it is an important part of the statistical data provided on these players.

Neals384
07-31-2018, 11:56 PM
Vinit,

Great to hear about your project, and glad you have included us in the conversation.

My personal preference would be to add advanced stats for the current season. Advanced stats like offensive efficiency, defensive efficiency, turnover percentage and usage for each player, plus tempo and fast break stats for the team as a whole. Some of these are currently available at places like Kenpom.com (behind paywall) and cleaning the glass.com (NBA only).

You can see threads on this site like http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40595-MBB-Dork-Polls-Stats-2017-18-Edition/page2&highlight=Advanced (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40595-MBB-Dork-Polls-Stats-2017-18-Edition/page2&highlight=Advanced).

It may be that this is out of scope for your project, but for me, reshuffling the standard stats won’t add much.

Good luck!

subzero02
08-01-2018, 02:02 AM
Someone posted a very interesting clip about how recruits coming into the program and really all players go through extensive testing, equivalent and essentially identical to what happens at the NBA Chicago pre-draft camp. All the drills and measurement are taken and the players made aware of what they may face if they get invited. They are also measured extensively and in a high tech way with high technology involved. I found all that fascinating as to the level of detail that is gone into. It did sort of beg the question as to why with so much measurement sophistication, the published heights and weights of the players on the roster have been shown to be inaccurate in some cases. Is it gamesmanship that is involved. I can't believe it is carelessness.

I realize this is not the type of stat that is being talked about in this thread, but it is an important part of the statistical data provided on these players.

I'd have to say that it is a bit of gamesmanship. The same reason we don't provide a lot of details regarding player injuries.

House P
08-01-2018, 08:36 AM

-jk

I would like to second this request. Exporting data into a CSV file would be extremely helpful and would probably be pretty easy to implement.

Goduke.statsgeek.com is a treasure of statistical information, but it can be a pain to download the information for customized analysis in Excel. Over the years, I have done a lot of "cutting and pasting" from the site, but I almost always end up spending considerable time reformatting the data once I paste it into Excel. Things like trimming trailing blank spaces or splitting columns for stats separated by dashes can be time consuming. My biggest annoyance is when a stat line such as "3-4" gets converted to "March 4" when I paste into excel.

Someday I will get around to learning a programming language such as Python which can make this easier. Until then it would be great if data can be exported as a CSV file.

Another suggestion would be to implement a search feature which will find the stats of players who meet user-specified criteria. Perhaps something like the following search page from basketball-reference.com could be implemented.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-01-2018, 12:12 PM

-jk

I am excited to think about what members of this board could do with downloadable stats.

OldPhiKap
08-01-2018, 01:30 PM
I am excited to think about what members of this board could do with downloadable stats.

I could make a hat. Or a broach. Or a pterodactyl.

I will leave the stat work to those great posters that know what to do with it, however..

uh_no
08-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Just Kidding.

devildeac
08-01-2018, 02:00 PM

I will leave the stat work to those great posters that know what to do with it, however..

I'm going to work on that 3-D IPA you suggested on another thread.

Well, maybe not. I think I'll settle for drinking an IPA or DIPA tonight.

Ideally, I'd like to find one from 3F (which is 1/3 of 9F), that way I'd at least be close to 3-D.

:o:rolleyes:

rasputin
08-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Where did you get that dress?

JohnGalt
08-01-2018, 05:56 PM

I disagree, Bob. Visualization / presentation not only make it easier to engage a wider audience, but can also provide different types of insights than raw numbers generate.

Tableau, Domo, et al have taken off for a reason, right? :)

JetpackJesus
08-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Where did you get that dress?

To say nothing of the shoes and coat.