PDA

View Full Version : Kevin White to chair Men’s Basketball Committee

UrinalCake
07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Can’t be a bad thing for Duke

Link (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/kevin-white-chair-di-men-s-basketball-committee-2019-20)

duke2x
07-13-2018, 04:43 PM
It's a thankless job but certainly an honor.

I expect Dr. White adheres pretty closely to the code of ethics the NCAA set up. If you are hoping for an easy bracket with favorable geographic placement, don't. Hartford is out for the first 2 rounds unless Duke is a 3/4 seed, and I'm not keen about any of the 2nd weekend sites (DC, Louisville, KC, Anaheim).

rsvman
07-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Great. Now he's going to have to pull a Bilas to avoid looking biased. We could probably go 27-3 with an ACC championship and get a 4 seed. ;-)

dukelifer
07-13-2018, 05:04 PM
Great. Now he's going to have to pull a Bilas to avoid looking biased. We could probably go 27-3 with an ACC championship and get a 4 seed. ;-)

Florida with a 1 seed?

HereBeforeCoachK
07-13-2018, 05:33 PM

BINGO....this has been so obvious with Bilas for a couple decades...and I do fear White doing the same.

Kansas is safe for the KC regional again (or whichever regional is closest to them), guaran-dayum-tee you.

sagegrouse
07-13-2018, 05:37 PM

I believe (and hope) that he will be able to take a major role in implementation of the findings of the (Condi Rice) Commission on Basketball.

Here are findings (as reported by USA Today, whose summary was more understandable than the turgid prose on the NCAA site). My comments in ALL CAPS

The Commission on College Basketball recommended to the NCAA sweeping changes to college basketball in response to a fraud and bribery scandal that has shaken the core of the sport.
A look at the recommendations:
— Work with the NBA to lift the league's so-called one-and-done rule that requires players be at least 19 years old and a year removed from high school to be draft eligible. GOOD, BUT A STEP INTO TERRA INCOGNITA
— Allow players to enter the draft out of high school or after any college season, and to return to their school if they go undrafted. GOOD AND OBVIOUS, BUT TIMING COULD PLAY HAVOC WITH RECRUITING
— Create degree completion programs, with the NCAA paying for players to finish their degree if they complete at least two years of college. FINE (AND PUT RESOURCES INTO RECRUITING FORMER STUDENTS INTO THE PROGRAM)
— Create a vice presidential level position in the NCAA to oversee a program for certifying agents. ABOUT TIME -- WOULD THIS APPLY ONLY TO HOOPS?
— Allow and encourage access to certified agents to high school and college players to help athletes and their families make more informed choices about professional opportunities. YES, YES! DEPENDING, OF COURSE, ON HOW STRONG THE CERTIFICATIONS ARE
— Create independent investigative and adjudicative body to address and resolve complex and serious cases involving NCAA violations. OK, BUT WE'LL SEE WHAT THAT MEANS. ALSO, NOT A BASKETBALL-ONLY RECOMMENDATION
— Impose stiffer penalties for serious rules violations to deter future rule-breakers, including: Increased competition penalties for Level I violations to allow a five-year post-season ban; increased financial penalties for Level I violations to allow loss of all revenue sharing in postseason play for the entire period of the ban; increased penalties for a show-cause order to allow lifetime bans; increased penalties for head coach restrictions to allow bans of more than one season; increased penalties for recruiting visit violations to allow full-year visit bans. FINE, BUT ALSO NOT JUST BASKETBALL. FOOTBALL WILL HAVE AN OPINION
— Schools that employ a coach and administrator under a show-cause order from a previous school would be at risk to receive the harshest penalties if NCAA violations occur under that coach or administrator. OK
— Through their contracts, require coaches and athletic directors to comply with NCAA investigations. OK, BUT I DON;T MOST CONTRACTS DO THAT?
— Require coaches, athletic directors and university presidents to certify annually they have conducted due diligence and their athletic programs comply with NCAA rules. DUH! THAT'S THE ESSENCE OF REGULATION -- INSIST ON SELF-REGULATION AND THEN AUDIT THAT PROCESS
— Adopt and enforce rigorous criteria for so-called non-scholastic basketball, such as summer recruiting events and AAU leagues. Event owners, sponsors and coaches must agree to financial transparency. YES! BUT IMPLEMENTATION IS THE KEY
— Ban college coaches from non-certified non-scholastic basketball events. OK, PARIS WITH THE ONE ABOVE
— Work with USA basketball and the NBA to create NCAA-run recruiting events in the summer. HMMM.. I'D LIKE TO SEE THE PLANS, BUT IT COULD HELP CLEAN UP A SEWER
— Work with USA Basketball and the NBA to evaluate pre-college players. NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS
— Adopt recommended rule changes made by the National Association of Basketball Coaches that increase interaction between college coaches and recruits. OK, SURE
— Add five public members with full voting privileges to the NCAA Board of Governors, currently comprised of 16 university presidents. YEP, BUT NOT COLLEGE BASKETBALL'S CALL

UrinalCake
07-13-2018, 06:00 PM
White has been a member of the selection committee for several years now. My understanding is that the rule for him and all members is that they must recuse themselves from the room whenever the committee is discussing a school with which they are affiliated. I would assume that would still be the case when he is the Chair. Of course, that doesn't change public perception and if Duke gets a seed that is higher than the media expects, fans will assume foul play by White.

rsvman
07-13-2018, 11:14 PM
White has been a member of the selection committee for several years now. My understanding is that the rule for him and all members is that they must recuse themselves from the room whenever the committee is discussing a school with which they are affiliated. I would assume that would still be the case when he is the Chair. Of course, that doesn't change public perception and if Duke gets a seed that is higher than the media expects, fans will assume foul play by White.

Precisely. The hate machine will go into overdrive.

Best way to prevent that would be to extremely clearly earn the seed. In other words, kick butt all season long, so nobody could argue with it. I'd be OK with that.

devildeac
07-14-2018, 01:10 AM
It's a thankless job but certainly an honor.

I expect Dr. White adheres pretty closely to the code of ethics the NCAA set up. If you are hoping for an easy bracket with favorable geographic placement, don't. Hartford is out for the first 2 rounds unless Duke is a 3/4 seed, and I'm not keen about any of the 2nd weekend sites (DC, Louisville, KC, Anaheim).

Very brave using those words in the same sentence. :rolleyes:

tteettimes
07-14-2018, 08:50 AM
OTOH.......has they selected Swafford...........😈😈😈😈😈😈😈

tteettimes
07-14-2018, 08:51 AM
^^^^^”had”.........spellcheck strikes again 😎😎

Indoor66
07-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Past tense would be perfect for that one.