PDA

View Full Version : Ant Man & Wasp - Spoilers

Udaman
07-09-2018, 04:47 PM
Saw it over the weekend. It was fun. I laughed a few times. It was enjoyable. I would put it in the top half of all Superhero movies made over the last 20 years...better than most DC movies.

And yet....after it ended, I found myself struck by one simple question - what was the point of this movie? I mean it basically is entirely pointless. And the plot? Let's see. Apparently in the first AntMan when Paul Rudd's character did something that you're supposed to come back from (but he did), and he became subatomic, somehow the mom of The Wasp (and husband of M. Douglass) realized that he was there, even though it's infinitely large in there and he was nowhere near where she disappeared, and somehow left a mark on him so that....flash forward 2 years later, M. Douglass and The Wasp are building some kind of quantum field device and they turn it on, but still need just one part, and when it's on M. Pfeiffer again contacts Paul Rudd (how? I have no idea), and so now they know she's alive and then spend the rest of the movie trying to go back in and find her...and the way they know where she is, is because they turn on the quantum device again and she somehow inhabits Paul Rudd's body (how? I have no idea) and tells them exactly where she is, and that they have just 2 hours to find her or everything will change and it will be 100 years before they can find her again (why? I have no idea), and so M. Douglass goes in and finds her.

And in the meantime...there are some bad guys. Who? Well, one of them is the person selling them the parts to the Quantum device. How does he get those parts? No idea. Suddenly, when they are buying the last part, he reveals that he found out they aren't who they said they are, but are actually The Wasp and M. Douglass, and no he wants....I'm not sure what he wants. But they say no, and so he's after them the rest of them movie. And then a person shows up. A woman. We find out that when she was a kid her dad was doing something with quantum stuff and it blew up and killed him and his wife, but didn't kill her (why? I have no idea), and now she moves in and out of a permanent state (why? I have no idea), and she can't be picked up. And she can't hold a teddy bear. Except sometimes she can, and she can clearly put on clothes, and they stay on her even when she's phasing in and out, and now she wears a white suit which helps her somehow (how? I have no idea), and her protector is a guy who used to work with M. Douglass, but doesn't anymore because they...well, got into a fight. And he's protecting this person, and now, suddenly she only has a few weeks to live (why? I have no idea) and she needs to get the energy from M. Pfeiffer, who they know is alive (how? I have no idea) and it might kill M. Pfeiffer, but they don't care. And in the end M. Pfeiffer comes out and touches her, and she's much better, but not entirely cured (how? I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!!)

And the characters from the first AntMan (his fellow thieves)? They are in the movie for no other reason that to be funny. They have no part to the movie at all, other than that. Same with the new husband of AntMan's ex wife. Same with the FBI detective, who is convinced that AntMan is about to break his 2 year house arrest, which he got for going to fight against IronMan, which was the only part of this movie that made sense.

And...oh by the way, they can shrink cars to small sizes, and everything in it (which is inherently stupid because if at any time any of the bigger cars had run over them, they would have been killed instantly). And can shrink a building, with everything in it....which is a cool idea and effect, but entirely implausible (on just about every level) and inherently dangerous, and apparently when you are in the small building, the rules of outside nature mean nothing to you because there a scene where the small building is tossed and snatched from moving cars and nothing inside the building is affected at all. Oh, and M. Douglass built a new AntMan suit, but it's a work in progress, which makes no sense other than to have several scenes where it's not functioning properly.

I mean...this movie made no sense. At all. And had no point, no real plot, no real bad guy, and nothing in the storyline that passed any real logic test. It's testament to the writing and acting and humor of it, that this wasn't just completely terrible. Instead it was 2 hours of fluff that wasn't all that bad.

And the post credit scene was 100% easy to call. I still wish Deadpool had done it first (and mocked it), but the moment it showed them all, I said "the three outside are going to disappear with the Thanos snap." Couldn't believe there were people in the audience who seemed surprised by this. And of course the natural question is "how will Antman get out?" Super easy. They have a safeguard that pulls him out if the switch isn't thrown. He will come out, and team up with Hawkeye and the remaining Avengers, and Captain Marvel, to defeat Thanos and set a new timeline where everyone is still alive. That movie....won't be pointless.

Wander
07-09-2018, 04:58 PM
I liked the movie, but it was a classic case of "if the good guys and 'bad guy' just sit down and talk, there would be no movie." I mean, everyone had the same goal of needing the mom to come back from the small world.

That said, I do appreciate that the recent MCU villains of Vulture, Ghost, Zemo, and even Thanos are not just maniacally evil who enjoy killing for fun. It's impressive that between that and finally getting decent female characters, the MCU is actually improving despite already being light years ahead of DC.

I would have bet JE 100 pies that the Wasp was going to get snapped away at the end of the movie... but having it happen while Ant-man was in small world was a nice twist to it. I think that's going to be important somehow in time travel shenanigans, and it won't be the case that he simply gets pulled out and saved after a few minutes.

JasonEvans
07-10-2018, 08:35 AM
When I saw this film 2 weeks ago, I told my son, "that was the least essential/important Marvel movie I have ever seen. It was cute and fun but nothing in it really matters."

Udaman's plot description made me laugh because I was trying to describe the plot to someone a few days ago and realized the same thing -- nothing in the story makes a lick of sense. But, the actors go with it and they are so likable, we go with it too.

I sorta wonder if Ant Man being stuck in the quantum realm is a way of keeping him out of the goings on in Avengers 4. You have to sideline him in some way or he is going to be in on the struggle. I won't be at all surprised if virtually every hero still alive post-snap ends up dying in an effort to reverse the snap. This way they get to spare Ant Man from that fate. Either that or they will somehow figure out that the Quantum Realm is important to reversing the snap and will communicate with Ant Man to get something done there.

-Jason "I could be 100% wrong about Avengers 4" Evans

Matches
07-10-2018, 09:44 AM
I liked it. It's clearly fluff but fun fluff.

We've all gotten so invested in the meta-story of the MCU that it's weird to see a film that doesn't tie into any overarching story (other than the post-credit scene) but I'm glad there's still room for that kind of story.

PackMan97
07-11-2018, 10:44 AM
I was talking with a coworker this morning about Marvel...we were just speculating when we will see the first Marvel Romantic Comedy.

thedukelamere
07-11-2018, 11:28 AM
I was talking with a coworker this morning about Marvel...we were just speculating when we will see the first Marvel Romantic Comedy.

Deadpool is currently on Netflix. ;)