PDA

View Full Version : All Time Greatest Plays in Duke History?

drummerdevil
07-07-2018, 09:28 PM
I want to make a highlight reel of the best plays in Duke history. However, as I'm still young and haven't been watching Duke basketball since the stone age like some of y'all, I don't have a great idea of what those plays might be. Can people please recommend me some plays so I can create the ultimate Duke highlights?

sagegrouse
07-07-2018, 09:46 PM
I want to make a highlight reel of the best plays in Duke history. However, as I'm still young and haven't been watching Duke basketball since the stone age like some of y'all, I don't have a great idea of what those plays might be. Can people please recommend me some plays so I can create the ultimate Duke highlights?

Phil Henderson dunks on Alonzo Mourning in the regional finals in 1990.

Gene Banks dunks on Ralph Sampson at Cameron around 1980.

Grayson's diving save against Wisconsin in the national championship game in 2015.

Sean Dockery sinks a half-court shot to beat Va. Tech 77-75 in Cameron, December 4, 2005.

Bluedog
07-07-2018, 09:58 PM
See this thread for some others, including the huge Hurley 3 against UNLV, JWill miracle minute, GHill impossible dunk, and "the shot" (of course).

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?17215-Greatest-Moment-in-Duke-Basketball

moonpie23
07-07-2018, 10:56 PM
there's that Austin Rivers shot, then, that Austin Rivers shot...and don't forget that Austin Rivers shot.....

and if you've got room, that Austin Rivers shot....

subzero02
07-07-2018, 11:07 PM
there's that Austin Rivers shot, then, that Austin Rivers shot...and don't forget that Austin Rivers shot...

and if you've got room, that Austin Rivers shot...

great call...

Rich
07-07-2018, 11:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned, this is THE greatest play in Duke basketball history --

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/14738424/

camion
07-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Also

Battier’s block and backhand pass while going out of bounds.

Duhon’s full court rush to beat UNC 83-81.

OldPhiKap
07-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Dawkins’ reverse slam against Navy — “abandon ship!!!”

Dawkins’ block of Notre Dame’s Shot by David Rivers (IIRC) to seal the win.

A lot of good ones already mentioned.

subzero02
07-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Maggette's dunk over Temple to end the half in the 1999 regional final...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ZF_oaO1lA

OZZIE4DUKE
07-08-2018, 12:51 AM
Gene Banks from Kenny Dennard on senior night vs. carolina. LGD GTHc!

slower
07-08-2018, 07:21 AM
Scheyer's save against Texas in the NCAA tournament. Possibly the SMARTEST big play in Duke history.

killerleft
07-08-2018, 10:55 AM
As far as I'm concerned, this is THE greatest play in Duke basketball history --

Ha! My immediate thought as well. Followed by the hirings of Bubas and Foster.

jimsumner
07-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Robby West's late jumper to beat UNC in 1972, the day Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Good luck finding video on that.

As with any of several great Fred Lind stretch plays in '68 against the Heels.

David McClure's buzzer-beater against Clemson in 2007 was pretty neat.

As was Gerald Henderson against Belmont, 2008. Prolonged Duke's season for two days.

chrishoke
07-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Jeff Mullins half court hot against Villanova in the Eastern Regional semi-finals in Reynolds Coliseum. I saw it live but have never seen it on replay.

NSDukeFan
07-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Robby West's late jumper to beat UNC in 1972, the day Duke Indoor Stadium became Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Good luck finding video on that.

As with any of several great Fred Lind stretch plays in '68 against the Heels.

Link? 😀

drummerdevil
07-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the clips, guys. I'm finding all sorts of insane highlights that I never knew about. The video is more than halfway done. Please keep feeding me clips!

HereBeforeCoachK
07-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the clips, guys. I'm finding all sorts of insane highlights that I never knew about. The video is more than halfway done. Please keep feeding me clips!

Please tell me that you are going to include the greatest most famous play in college hoops history.

And yes, there are insane highlights if you can find them. The resolution of the Banks dunk over Ralph is bad, but that's as good a dunk as was ever done by a Duke player or anyone else. And Phil Henderson's jam over Alonzo Mourning was maybe the first high profile big time dunk Duke had. It sent a message.

And for ugly but effective, and timely, there's Battiers back hand tap in late against Zona in the title game.

drummerdevil
07-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Please tell me that you are going to include the greatest most famous play in college hoops history.

And yes, there are insane highlights if you can find them. The resolution of the Banks dunk over Ralph is bad, but that's as good a dunk as was ever done by a Duke player or anyone else. And Phil Henderson's jam over Alonzo Mourning was maybe the first high profile big time dunk Duke had. It sent a message.

And for ugly but effective, and timely, there's Battiers back hand tap in late against Zona in the title game.

Assuming that the first play you are talking about is the Laettner shot, yes, every clip you have listed is already in the video.

AGDukesky
07-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Dockery from halfcourt for the win against VT

NSDukeFan
07-08-2018, 03:16 PM
The Scheyer tip in against Butler was pretty great.

drummerdevil
07-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Thanks to everyone here who contributed ideas! I made the video, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_9pfo2fi_I
If enough people submit enough more plays, I'll make a part two... so feel free to keep them coming!

OldPhiKap
07-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Thanks to everyone here who contributed ideas! I made the video, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_9pfo2fi_I
If enough people submit enough more plays, I'll make a part two... so feel free to keep them coming!

Fantastic work!

I didn’t see Capel’s half-court shot at the buzzer to send the game to OT v. UNC. Although we lost in OT, we had no business getting it to OT in the first place. That might be worth peeping for the next version.

https://youtu.be/l7XxZ8EoRbU

Hurley’s over-the-shoulder dump to Laettner for the flush, at the beginning of the second half in the 1992 NC game, was great too. Not only a great play, but got Laettner going after a horrendous first half.

https://youtu.be/oNs8hl1sQAg

(Appreciate you including the two Dawkins clips!)

jimsumner
07-08-2018, 05:59 PM

If you're looking for a Battier highlight, don't overlook his chase-down block of a Joseph Forte lay-up against Carolina in '01.

And Dahntay Jones' block and subsequent push-ups against UVA in '03.

SavDukeGrad
07-08-2018, 06:15 PM

Great job! Others to consider:

Christian Laettner's "other" East Regional game winning shot, against UConn in 1990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DD2fEEVVMk

Kenny Dennard's reverse dunk in the 1978 East Regional (hopefully you can find better video quality than this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0

And Grayson's game winner against UVA in Cameron in 2016!

chrishoke
07-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Nate James tip in to beat Maryland in the 2001 ACC semis.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Hurley to Hill 3/4 court one handed alley oop from the rafters.....natty game v Kansas...

HereBeforeCoachK
07-08-2018, 09:07 PM
If you're looking for a Battier highlight, don't overlook his chase-down block of a Joseph Forte lay-up against Carolina in '01.

Those were great....Dahntay and his push ups!!!

Another big moment: Mark Alarie opens the scoring in the Dean's Myth Center.....nothing will ever change the fact that a Duke player scored the first ever hoop there.

OldPhiKap
07-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Those were great...Dahntay and his push ups!!!

Another big moment: Mark Alarie opens the scoring in the Dean's Myth Center...nothing will ever change the fact that a Duke player scored the first ever hoop there.

And Jim Valvano made the last bucket in Carmichael.

skysdad
07-08-2018, 09:55 PM
There's been so many so I have to say Rivers dagger in Chapel Hill The Dean Dome was in a frenzy and the crowd was loud when Duke took the ball down the court. He hit that shot and suddenly I knew what the sound of silence really meant.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-08-2018, 10:14 PM
And Jim Valvano made the last bucket in Carmichael.

LOL, I was thinking about that as I was posting...he took the ball from I think Billy Packer in the post game interview, drove down for a lay up...if memory serves (and memory does not always serve...)

AtlDuke72
07-08-2018, 11:56 PM

All great ! Thanks for doing this. Dawkins blocking David Rivers was as good as it gets. So many other great ones !

subzero02
07-09-2018, 12:18 AM

It wasn't a block but rather a "great googly moogly" dunk(Brad Daugherty call).

https://youtu.be/jDd7tK5c6S0

Dahntay also had a ridiculous alley-oop dunk in the 2001 blue white game...IIRC, he was running baseline and caught the ball outside of the lane and slammed it home with authority. I was in attendance but have never seen video of the dunk. If someone could find a clip, I would be very appreciative.

Ian
07-09-2018, 12:39 AM
Battier's tip in by flipping his fingers backwards against Arizona is also one of the all time greats. I think he was after as out of position as Bagley was in the game against Kansas on Grayson's shot. But somehow figured out a way to score the bucket.

Nevermind I see it's in your video already.

subzero02
07-09-2018, 01:10 AM
Battier's tip in by flipping his fingers backwards against Arizona is also one of the all time greats. I think he was after as out of position as Bagley was in the game against Kansas on Grayson's shot. But somehow figured out a way to score the bucket.

Nevermind I see it's in your video already.

This sequence, which includes a typical play that only Battier could make, is also from the 2001 Championship game. I think my favorite part is watching Reggie Love's reaction, and the reaction of the bench as a whole, after a white hot Dunleavy unleashed one of the most insensitive fakes I have ever seen(filthy). Amongst the 4 3s shown, he might have hit the rim once, after the ball was 3/4 through the hoop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2vk_YVn9sg

HereBeforeCoachK
07-09-2018, 07:01 AM
This sequence, which includes a typical play that only Battier could make, is also from the 2001 Championship game. I think my favorite part is watching Reggie Love's reaction, and the reaction of the bench as a whole, after a white hot Dunleavy unleashed one of the most insensitive fakes I have ever seen(filthy). Amongst the 4 3s shown, he might have hit the rim once, after the ball was 3/4 through the hoop.]

Thanks for posting that....that whole sequence was amazing...as yes, that was a "Battier only" play, and a nasty fake by Dunleavy.

Daddylawman
07-09-2018, 07:06 AM
1990 Laettner v. UCONN

jimsumner
07-09-2018, 09:50 AM
I think it was Robert Brickey who preserved a 1988 win at Chapel Hill with a last-second block of Jeff Lebo.

In the 1980 NCAAT Vince Taylor blocked Kyle Macy at the buzzer to lock up a win not over Kentucky but at Kentucky.

Of course, Macy has always maintained that he was fouled.

Billy King's defensive job against Mark Macon in the 1988 Elite Eight is justifiably the stuff of legends. Not sure it can be reduced to a single play, however.

Mike Gminkski's tip-in late to give Duke a one-point lead in the 1980 ACCT title game against Maryland and Kenny Dennard's subsequent wipe-out of Buck Williams, which somehow went uncalled.

Tate Armstrong had two buzzer-beaters in the 1976/77 season, Washington and Richmond. Both in Cameron.

Duke played South Carolina in the 1967 ACCT semifinals. SC had a point guard named Jack Thompson. Their was much talk about how Thompson had not had a turnover off his dribble all season. Down a point late, SC ball, Bob Verga picks Thompson's pocket and goes in for game-clinching lay-up.

Good luck finding video of lots of the pre-K stuff. But some ideas of what to look for.

cspan37421
07-09-2018, 11:15 AM

That's a great video - after the first few seconds, it was all new to me. I love how confident and articulate he was with the press right from the start of his Duke career. So poised!

Yet the early part of the video cuts off my favorite part. He spells out his last name for the reporters, and then quips something like, "... and if you think that's bad, you should have seen it before I changed it!"

Steven43
07-09-2018, 01:13 PM
In 2972 the basketball stadium was really called Duke Indoor Stadium before the name was changed to Cameron? I like that name (Duke Indoor) better. Wish they hadn’t changed it.

Indoor66
07-09-2018, 01:35 PM
In 2972 the basketball stadium was really called Duke Indoor Stadium before the name was changed to Cameron? I like that name (Duke Indoor) better. Wish they hadn’t changed it.

I doubt that you knew Eddie Cameron. Maybe you should look him up.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-09-2018, 01:46 PM

I disagree...it was proper to change it to honor Eddie Cameron, a real throw back. There's no way it would be as famous with a generic name like Duke Indoor Stadium...everything else remaining equal.

And it's genius of them to keep "indoor stadium" instead of renaming it a more modern "Cameron Arena" or "Cameron Coliseum" or something. When it was built, 9000 seats was a "stadium" - but by the 70s, it was tiny - and yet they kept the name Indoor Stadium. That's part of the charm and history of the place. That decision was brilliant. Or maybe just lucky. Either way...it has worked.

And ole Brent Musberger never could get the name right..."Cameron Indoor Arena..." which made no sense and had no panache.
Geez Brent, read the name right.

Indoor66
07-09-2018, 01:57 PM
I disagree...it was proper to change it to honor Eddie Cameron, a real throw back. There's no way it would be as famous with a generic name like Duke Indoor Stadium...everything else remaining equal.

And it's genius of them to keep "indoor stadium" instead of renaming it a more modern "Cameron Arena" or "Cameron Coliseum" or something. When it was built, 9000 seats was a "stadium" - but by the 70s, it was tiny - and yet they kept the name Indoor Stadium. That's part of the charm and history of the place. That decision was brilliant. Or maybe just lucky. Either way...it has worked.

And ole Brent Musberger never could get the name right..."Cameron Indoor Arena..." which made no sense and had no panache.

Brent often said "the Cameron" as well.

NSDukeFan
07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
I doubt that you knew Eddie Cameron. Maybe you should look him up.

But, by 2972 will it still be Cameron Indoor Stadium?

Spanarkel
07-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Hurley to Hill 3/4 court one handed alley oop from the rafters....natty game v Kansas...

Agree that this was a great play, but Hurley passed the ball from only about 35 feet from the goal.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-09-2018, 02:16 PM
Agree that this was a great play, but Hurley passed the ball from only about 35 feet from the goal.

...come on now....you gotta add one foot a year to the story......

HereBeforeCoachK
07-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Brent often said "the Cameron" as well.

Yes he did....and that never bothered me....but I would SMH every time he would say "the Cameron Indoor Arena"........it's like he knew it wasn't really a stadium, but didn't understand the historical quaintness of the concept of calling it an indoor stadium.

Of course, Duke had a Canadian player in the 70s named Cameron Hall.....a friend of mine said - in jest - that's what they should call the arena.

Of course, in those days, Duke was just becoming must see TV.....so I was happy anytime Brent was in the house....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Certainly better than "Coack K Court at the KFC YUM! Center."

jimsumner
07-09-2018, 08:57 PM
For some reason, it irks me no end when the national media refer to Duke's home courts as "Cameron Indoor." I've never heard it called that by anyone local. It's Cameron or Cameron Indoor Stadium or CIS. But not Cameron Indoor.

What is now known as Wallace Wade Stadium was originally Duke Football Stadium. So, when the basketball arena opened in 1940, it was called the Indoor Stadium to distinguish it from the football stadium.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-09-2018, 09:22 PM
What is now known as Wallace Wade Stadium was originally Duke Football Stadium. So, when the basketball arena opened in 1940, it was called the Indoor Stadium to distinguish it from the football stadium.

And as far as I can tell, it's the only facility called XYZ Indoor Stadium. Has anyone heard of another one?

Bluedog
07-09-2018, 10:24 PM
And as far as I can tell, it's the only facility called XYZ Indoor Stadium. Has anyone heard of another one?

This is the only other one I can find and I suspect it’s not very well known ;)
http://www.bathurstindoorsports.com.au/

Bathurst Indoor Sports Stadium in Australia that’s in a town not all that far from Sydney.

Ah here’s another much closer to home that just opened last year:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Richardson_Indoor_Stadium

I wonder where they got the idea!

OldPhiKap
07-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Singapore Indoor Stadium:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Indoor_Stadium

But I cheated did a Google search.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Ah here’s another much closer to home that just opened last year:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Richardson_Indoor_Stadium

I wonder where they got the idea!

Yeah, wonder where they got that indeed.

arnie
07-10-2018, 11:48 AM

I understand that Heels not happy with the Dean Dome and will rebuild or dramatically renovate. Now that Roy has greatly surpassed Dean in greatness (50% more titles) maybe they rename the place OleRoyarena.

devildeac
07-10-2018, 11:53 AM
I understand that Heels not happy with the Dean Dome and will rebuild or dramatically renovate. Now that Roy has greatly surpassed Dean in greatness (50% more titles) maybe they rename the place OleRoyarena.

Nope. At least for DBR and PackPride, it should forever be known as the dean's myth center.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Nope. At least for DBR and PackPride, it should forever be known as the dean's myth center.

The Nose Dome, or the Schnoz Center, for me.

ES, DS, ES.

(Yes, my dislike of Dean was much stronger than my dislike of Roy, bless his heart).

sagegrouse
07-10-2018, 01:26 PM
Yeah, wonder where they got that indeed.

Imitation is the sincerest form of strategy. Wofford, which is a beneficiary of the Duke Endowment, has long had a a bit of Duke envy, as is evident from this short article by the Wofford archivist:

The Wofford-Duke connection

What do two Methodist-related colleges, both founded in neighboring states in the years before the Civil War, have in common? In the 19th century, each faced lean years, found ways to survive and focused on teaching undergraduates. They both gained fraternities, student literary magazines and football within a year or two of each other. But in the 1890s, one began a turn toward becoming a university, while the other remained an undergraduate liberal arts college. Even after that, Wofford and the college then known as Trinity retained some connections.

Wofford provided leadership for its North Carolina sibling as it went through the college to university transition. In 1894, Wofford alumnus and professor John C. Kilgo left Spartanburg for Durham to serve as the growing college’s new president. He worked assiduously to cultivate the Duke family’s interest during his 16-year presidency. When he was elected a Methodist bishop in 1910, another Wofford alumnus, William Preston Few of the class of 1889, succeeded him as president. The relationship with the Duke family continued, and in December 1924, James B. Duke announced his plans to create the Duke Endowment and to build a research university around Trinity College. In honor of his father and family, the university was to bear the family’s name.

To help ease the pain that Wofford felt at being left out of the Duke Endowment, Benjamin N. Duke offered Wofford a $100,000 challenge gift, which President Henry Nelson Snyder used to leverage other gifts into a $250,000 increase in Wofford’s endowment.

The two institutions took different paths, but still shared some important ties. Many Wofford students since have pursued graduate work at Duke, and a number of Duke graduates later took faculty appointments at Wofford. The eighth president of Wofford, Paul Hardin III, was a Duke graduate and faculty member. Today, approximately 14 current and emeriti faculty at Wofford hold degrees from Duke.

The Wofford Duke connection will stretch in another direction on New Year’s Eve as the Terriers travel to Cameron Indoor Arena to play the Duke Blue Devils in basketball. Gold and black will likely be in short supply because tickets to Duke games are such a hot commodity, but a few Terriers will be there, and those who are there will know that Duke just wouldn’t be Duke without a little Wofford.

by Dr. Phillip Stone ’94, college archivist

My uncle, a Wofford grad, claimed that Wofford would have been the beneficiary of the James B. Duke, but it refused to change its name. You also here that much more about Princeton. Neither is true. Fact: the Dukes were from Durham. Washington Duke, who founded American Tobacco, paid to move Trinity College from rural Randolph County to the current site of East Campus. He also paid for a lot of other stuff, including East Duke and West Duke. I believe his son, James B. Duke, donated funds for the Trinity College library. Thus, it should be no surprise that the institution in Durham became the primary beneficiary of the J.B. Duke estate. William Prston Few, long-time Duke President, developed a close relationship with Mr, Duke and shared his vision of a national university.

devildeac
07-10-2018, 01:39 PM
The Nose Dome, or the Schnoz Center, for me.

ES, DS, ES.

(Yes, my dislike of Dean was much stronger than my dislike of Roy, bless his heart).

Equally loathsome to me. (Yes, "great" minds sometimes differ ;).)

royalblue
07-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Doesn’t TBeard get credit for the glorious shortened version of the Dean E Smith Student Activities Center better known as
Dean’s SAC I guess you could even go as far as
Dean’s Big 9F Ball SAC as it does hold 21,750

HereBeforeCoachK
07-10-2018, 02:47 PM

OR...

The Dadgum Pavilion
Aw Shucks Coliseum
The Library

....:cool:

IrishDevil
07-10-2018, 03:09 PM
OR...

The Dadgum Pavilion
Aw Shucks Coliseum
The Library

...:cool:

That might be one way to make a "u"NC basketball crowd even quieter - ensure zero student attendance at games.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-10-2018, 03:37 PM
Billy King's defensive job against Mark Macon in the 1988 Elite Eight is justifiably the stuff of legends. Not sure it can be reduced to a single play, however.

Incredibly important game in Duke history, that one....

King's was a remarkable performance, and Macon was never the same after that. The other significant aspect is that this was Coach K's first surprise Final Four team. It cemented the fact that his 86 senior laden team was not a one off fluke.....Duke got to the Sweet 16 in 87 with a star named of all things John Smith....and then 88 started the long stretch of 5 straight, 7 in nine years, and of course back to back titles.

WVDUKEFAN
07-10-2018, 03:38 PM
To me, without a doubt, it's THE SHOT that Laettner hit against Kentucky. I could watch it over and over and over and over again.

Rich
07-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Doesn’t TBeard get credit for the glorious shortened version of the Dean E Smith Student Activities Center better known as
Dean’s SAC I guess you could even go as far as
Dean’s Big 9F Ball SAC as it does hold 21,750

Pretty sure I posted about calling it Dean's SAC a few times on DBR, but I can't take credit for the name. When it was opened that's what a bunch of us Duke students called it before the Dean Dome became its most prominent name. I mean, it's not even that creative since it's exactly the abbreviation for the damn place. Whoever decided to call it the Dean E Smith Student Activities Center should've known better.