PDA

View Full Version : College basketball scandal expands - UMd subpoenaed

-jk
07-06-2018, 11:30 AM
And now the twerps are in the spotlight (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-basketball-subpoenaed-in-college-basketball-corruption-probe/2018/07/06/82520ecc-812b-11e8-b658-4f4d2a1aeef1_story.html).

They're an Under Armor team.

-jk

sagegrouse
07-06-2018, 12:41 PM
And now the twerps are in the spotlight (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/maryland-basketball-subpoenaed-in-college-basketball-corruption-probe/2018/07/06/82520ecc-812b-11e8-b658-4f4d2a1aeef1_story.html).

They're an Under Armor team.

-jk

Ah, yes, getting nailed for payments to a recruit that ultimately went somewhere else. Money quote (literally):

[Silvio] De Sousa [who played 20 games for KU last season] has already been linked to the federal investigation, as an indictment unsealed in April alleged a player whose recruitment timeline matched De Sousa’s only committed to Kansas after the player’s guardian told Adidas officials he needed money to pay back a shoe company that sponsored a rival school. Maryland is sponsored by Under Armour, one of Adidas’s chief rivals in the basketball market, along with Nike.

moonpie23
07-06-2018, 12:55 PM
they should hire some light blue attorneys.....

DarkstarWahoo
07-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

UrinalCake
07-06-2018, 01:16 PM
So UA paid DeSousa, then Kansas wanted him so Adidas gave him the money to repay UA and then also paid a bigger amount to secure his commitment? And this guy is still eligible?

NashvilleDevil
07-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Ah, yes, getting nailed for payments to a recruit that ultimately went somewhere else. Money quote (literally):

De Sousa’s physical play was a factor in Kansas beating Duke in the Elite 8. How was he eligible to play?

UrinalCake
07-06-2018, 01:41 PM
De Sousa’s physical play was a factor in Kansas beating Duke in the Elite 8. How was he eligible to play?

The same way that Louisville was eligible to beat us in 2013. (Shakes fist).

HereBeforeCoachK
07-06-2018, 03:45 PM

NCAA was headquartered in Kansas for a long time....always treat the Jayhawks with kid gloves.

sagegrouse
07-06-2018, 03:56 PM
they should hire some light blue attorneys....

No doubt they will. The UNC private attorneys were based in Overland Park, KS, if I recall correctly.

PackMan97
07-06-2018, 03:57 PM
So UA paid DeSousa, then Kansas wanted him so Adidas gave him the money to repay UA and then also paid a bigger amount to secure his commitment? And this guy is still eligible?

The NCAA is a joke. That's how he's still eligible. It's not about following the rules or fair play. It's about protecting the biggest names in the business and protecting those with the power. Kansas and the Cheats have the names and the power.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-06-2018, 05:05 PM
The NCAA is a joke. That's how he's still eligible. It's not about following the rules or fair play. It's about protecting the biggest names in the business and protecting those with the power. Kansas and the Cheats have the names and the power.

Well, as I see it, it’s about understanding the rules and using the cracks in the rules to a programs advantage.

Duke recently signed a player that was essentially a professional,(Bagley), but since the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr., that didn’t matter to the NCAA, nor did three different high schools with questionable grading systems that allowed him to reclassify matter...they investigated and found there was no technical rule violation anywhere to apply so he was eligible to play, and Duke was in the clear with Bagley.

The spirit of some “amateur status” rules may have been basically violated, but there was no technical violation.

UNC did shamefully skirt the rules with the weak classes, but there was no technical NCAA violation found to apply to UNC. And that’s why UNC was not punished by the NCAA, just SACs, (as was appropriate).

There was not some power school protection conspiracy theory anywhere.

State, Az, UL etc..and now apparently Md allowed, knew, or were directly involved paying cash to players. A clear violation that the NCAA does prosecute when they have evidence. They are the schools cheating. UNC/Duke are not cheating, just playing the whole ugly game smarter.

And yes, the NCAA is a joke.

My two cents...

camion
07-06-2018, 05:17 PM

UNC did shamefully skirt the rules with the weak classes, but there was no technical NCAA violation found to apply to UNC. And that’s why UNC was not punished by the NCAA, just SACs, (as was appropriate).

My two cents...

My, you do know how to bait a hook.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-06-2018, 05:25 PM
My, you do know how to bait a hook.

Ok, I’m out of this conversation. I guess I can’t have an opinion on this board without a troll reference.

Mods go ahead and delete that post please before this thread goes downhill. Thx.

Bob Green
07-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Ok, I’m out of this conversation. I guess I can’t have an opinion on this board without a troll reference.

Mods go ahead and delete that post please before this thread goes downhill. Thx.

You are entitled to your opinion same as everyone else. The Mods will not allow the thread to go downhill so stick around.

moonpie23
07-06-2018, 05:51 PM
No doubt they will. The UNC private attorneys were based in Overland Park, KS, if I recall correctly.

they are the "dubs legals"...........elite

Pghdukie
07-06-2018, 06:24 PM
On top of these allegations, former Twerb BB center has been indicted for rape of an intoxicated female. And the hits just keep coming.

Jeffrey
07-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Well, as I see it, it’s about understanding the rules and using the cracks in the rules to a programs advantage.

My game (finance) plays the same, but I don't. It's only a matter of time until most of those who dance on the edge fall. The rest will have to live with themselves.

BLPOG
07-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Well, uh... (https://i.giphy.com/media/l4Jz82RaH2LFk3OqA/giphy.webp)

I think that's all I'm allowed to say and that doesn't seem quite right.

Owen Meany
07-06-2018, 08:13 PM

Duke recently signed a player that was essentially a professional,(Bagley), but since the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr., that didn’t matter to the NCAA, nor did three different high schools with questionable grading systems that allowed him to reclassify matter...they investigated and found there was no technical rule violation anywhere to apply so he was eligible to play, and Duke was in the clear with Bagley.

The spirit of some “amateur status” rules may have been basically violated, but there was no technical violation.

There was not some power school protection conspiracy theory anywhere.

State, Az, UL etc..and now apparently Md allowed, knew, or were directly involved paying cash to players. A clear violation that the NCAA does prosecute when they have evidence. They are the schools cheating. UNC/Duke are not cheating, just playing the whole ugly game smarter.

And yes, the NCAA is a joke.

My two cents...

FWIW, this is an out and out lie. There were absolutely no questions whatsoever about any school that Bagley attended other than his very brief stay at Hillcrest Prep. Bagley did enroll at Hillcrest, a new school that hoped to join the ranks of basketball factories that have sent kids to UNC and Duke in the past. When the NCAA informed the school that their academic status was in question, Bagley promptly exited the school after only a a few weeks and immediately enrolled in an on-line program that the NCAA recommended and kept current with his studies and classes. He transferred to the very highly regarded Sierra Canyon - despite having to sit out a year of basketball due to his transfer. Although some people may have been surprised that Bagley reclassified, it was an open enough secret that it was even in the newspaper that he was rumored to do so a year before it ever happened. For Bagley, an excellent student, it was not that difficult to get the credits needed in order to do so. Contrary to the ramblings of know-nothings on the internet, Bagley's status was never in doubt - determining whether a student has completed the coursework necessary to reclassify is pretty straightforward.

Yes, Bagley's dad did have a team sponsored by Nike. It was well-known, including by UNC when they were recruiting him. He ran ads for the youth programs and events he was hosting. That is hardly the same as a school doing anything to influence Bagley. You better believe that if Roy whined and b'ed so much that Nike had to pull the "order Restored" shirts after the 2010 championship, you better believe that he wouldn't let Nike influence Bagley to attend Duke. Nike just wants their fingerprints over every top AAU team in America. It's pretty obvious it wasn't a pay off since Bagley signed with Puma.

UNC and its fans can equivocate and dissemble all they want. They cheated. They fired multiple people and others, (from the very top) like Baddour and Thorpe - resigned before they were fired. They had a star player on their championship team admit that he did not attend a single class his final semester as they were working their way to the championship - but he made the Dean's List! It was not just easy classes - there were 100's of fake classes that, according to UNC's own academic counselors "We put them in classes that met degree requirements in which:

• They didn’t go to class

• They didn’t take notes, have to stay awake

• They didn’t have to meet with professors
• They didn’t have to pay attention or necessarily engage with the material

They didn't say this in dismay that the classes were offered - it was that they would no longer be offered.

It was also the powers that be at UNC that claimed (read - lied) that they didn't mean to admit the classes were fraudulent - it was a misspelling. UNC didn't take merely skirt the edges of propriety. That shamelessly stomped all over them as they denied 100's or thousands of kids a chance at a real education.

UNC skated. The NCAA was unable to prosecute them because the system depended on the schools being policed having a tiny shred of integrity and dignity. Please don't compare this to a third party hiring Bagley's dad. UNC and its fans get to keep its ill-gotten gains. Heck, they even gave out rings for the "ACC Cahmpionship" they weren't allowed to have by the NCAA. But they did expose "The Carolina Way" as the joke it has always been. And surely they lost the right to lecture anyone else anywhere else (particularly on their own message board) about anything their program has done. UNC is the poster boy for academic fraud and corruption - embrace it.

OldPhiKap
07-06-2018, 08:23 PM
UNC skated. The NCAA was unable to prosecute them because the system depended on the schools being policed having a tiny shred of integrity and dignity. Please don't compare this to a third party hiring Bagley's dad. UNC and its fans get to keep its ill-gotten gains. Heck, they even gave out rings for the "ACC Cahmpionship" they weren't allowed to have by the NCAA. But they did expose "The Carolina Way" as the joke it has always been. And surely they lost the right to lecture anyone else anywhere else (particularly on their own message board) about anything their program has done. UNC is the poster boy for academic fraud and corruption - embrace it.

This whole post is spot on. The conclusion deserves reposting. Sporkz sent.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-06-2018, 09:13 PM
I am not going to be a party to yet another thread distraction that turns nasty and on me and not the discussion. I’ve offered my opinion, and that’s all it was...

OldPhiKap
07-06-2018, 09:21 PM
I am not going to be a party to yet another thread distraction that turns nasty and on me and not the discussion. I’ve offered my opinion, and that’s all it was...

No, you stated this as a fact not an opinion:

Duke recently signed a player that was essentially a professional,(Bagley), but since the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr., that didn’t matter to the NCAA, nor did three different high schools with questionable grading systems that allowed him to reclassify matter.

I call BS.

My opinion, of course.

Tripping William
07-06-2018, 09:21 PM

I, for one, am genuinely interested in your response to Owen Meany’s post, including any dispute on your part of the facts he laid out about MB III.

NashvilleDevil
07-06-2018, 09:48 PM

In other words, I’m going to write a incendiary post about Duke and then leave when I get called out for my BS.

UrinalCake
07-06-2018, 11:54 PM
Getting this thread back on track (sort of)... is there any chance this information possessed by the FBI ever sees the light of day? They apparently are sitting on a gold mine of information regarding college players and assistant coaches taking money, we've seen a few glimpses of the magnitude of what goes on behind the curtain of high school recruiting, yet the NCAA isn't going to do anything until tangible information is made available. The feds have no real incentive to publicize their information, so we're left waiting for more unnamed sources to leak information at some indefinite point in time.

moonpie23
07-07-2018, 08:40 AM
the NCAA isn't going to do anything

fify

tteettimes
07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
I apologize Mods for crossing the line.......will be much more self-corrective in the future
Now.....having said that I must have my morning-after constitutional

TruBlu
07-07-2018, 10:22 AM
I apologize Mods for crossing the line...will be much more self-corrective in the future
Now...having said that I must have my morning-after constitutional

I hope the Mods can't read minds. If they can, I'm in big trouble.

75Crazie
07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
And surely they lost the right to lecture anyone else anywhere else (particularly on their own message board) about anything their program has done.
This cannot be emphasized enough. The N&O had the money quote a few years back, in the midst of the investigation furor: "Carolina has lost the right to condescend". And yet, as Wheat continues to show us ... they still try. Such attempts have to be called out each and every time.

lotusland
07-07-2018, 11:05 AM
I didn’t notice that Wheat was the poster on his original post or I would have skipped it entirely because the back and forth with Wheat bores me. However, I agree wholeheartedly that Bagley’s recruitement made a mockery of both “amateurism “ and “student athletes” in NCAA revenue sports. UNC was actually haughty enough to smash even the mighty facade to spare their clueless ego. Still Duke participated in assisting Bags with skipping a year of HS so they could pick up a stud for 6 mos and he could get to the NBA a year earlier. All within the rules and easily rationalized but still, Duke moved into a neighborhood of glass houses. My advice would be to not start a rock fight with the neighbors.

devildeac
07-07-2018, 11:22 AM
I hope the Mods can't read minds. If they can, I'm in big trouble.

I've had it confirmed that you cannot be infracted/holiday-ed/T'ed-up for what you're thinking.

:o:rolleyes:

devildeac
07-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I didn’t notice that Wheat was the poster on his original post or I would have skipped it entirely because the back and forth with Wheat bores me. However, I agree wholeheartedly that Bagley’s recruitement made a mockery of both “amateurism “ and “student athletes” in NCAA revenue sports. UNC was actually haughty enough to smash even the mighty facade to spare their clueless ego. Still Duke participated in assisting Bags with skipping a year of HS so they could pick up a stud for 6 mos and he could get to the NBA a year earlier. All within the rules and easily rationalized but still, Duke moved into a neighborhood of glass houses. My advice would be to not start a rock fight with the neighbors.

weezie
07-07-2018, 12:34 PM
What's this?

Are you gentlemen examining your own "opinions" again?

It's a beautiful day. Go outside.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-07-2018, 03:27 PM
While I welcome the need to remain open to posts from fans of other schools (even that "school"), and I appreciate many of their viewpoints, I don't understand why we have to allow slanderous/libelous comments.

Marvin Bagley III made the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Men’s Basketball team. And this (redacted) is going to come on here and sleight his intelligence? Well, I guess we know they have chutzpah. Not the good kind.

I’m going to jump back in only to apologize if it was construed that I was challenging Bagley’s intelligence, I was not. I like him as a player and never saw him do anything to make me think he’s not a good kid.

I had read about the online classes being investigated, and some questions regarding multiple transfers...it was all investigated and no issues were found.

My point about Bagley was he was “essentially” a professional player, but there are cracks in the NCAA rules that he, his advisors and family were able to navigate successfully.

As somebody pointed out, UNC and lots of others recruited him as well, and certainly would have taken him too.

It’s such an ugly game in the recruiting, big time college revenue sports world that technicalities count.

75Crazie
07-07-2018, 04:02 PM
... there are cracks in the NCAA rules that he, his advisors and family were able to navigate successfully.
"Irony" is not a strong enough word to describe this phrase coming from a UNC supporter. A more descriptive term would get wankerized.

OldPhiKap
07-07-2018, 04:05 PM
but there are cracks in the NCAA rules that he, his advisors and family were able to navigate successfully.

"Irony" is not a strong enough word to describe this phrase coming from a UNC supporter. A more descriptive term would get wankerized.

I think the expression you used, Wheat, was that “the money for him was laundered . . . and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr.” Tsk tsk. Surely, you understand the inflamatory nature of that verbiage.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-07-2018, 04:19 PM
I think the expression you used, Wheat, was that “the money for him was laundered through his personal AAU team and paid to Dad by Nike instead of directly to Jr.” Tsk tsk. Surely, you understand the inflamatory nature of that verbiage.

And that’s inaccurate how?

Make your case that Dad was qualified to receive all that money if his son was not a future NBA player and potential Nike client.

My argument was he was essentially a pro and the money was laundered through an AAU team to Dad....but he beat the system on technicalities.

I’m not claiming Duke had anything to do with it, or did anything wrong.

OldPhiKap
07-07-2018, 04:29 PM
And that’s inaccurate how?

Make your case that Dad was qualified to receive all that money if his son was not a future NBA player and potential Nike client.

My argument was he was essentially a pro and the money was laundered through an AAU team to Dad...but he beat the system on technicalities.

I’m not claiming Duke had anything to do with it, or did anything wrong.

“Money laundering is the act of concealing the transformation of profits from illegal activities and corruption into ostensibly "legitimate" assets. The dilemma of illicit activities is accounting for the origin of the proceeds of such activities without raising the suspicion of law enforcement agencies. Accordingly, considerable time and effort is put into devising strategies which enable the safe use of those proceeds without raising unwanted suspicion. Implementing such strategies is generally called money laundering. After money has been suitably laundered or "cleaned", it can be used in the mainstream economy for accumulation of wealth, such as acquisitions of properties, or otherwise spent.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering

You implied that the Bagleys were involved in concealing illegal or corrupt funds.

You earlier implied that MBIII was only able to graduate and reclassify through bogus grading.

From the messages I have received, I assure you that my read of your post is far from an outlier.

But whatever. Given that none of this has to do with the Maryland situation, not sure why you injected this issue into the thread in the first place.

Jeffrey
07-07-2018, 04:45 PM
You earlier implied that MBIII was only able to graduate and reclassify through bogus grading.

In Wheat's defense, UNC fans are substantially more knowledgeable about "bogus grading" than Duke fans!

Green Wave Dukie
07-07-2018, 04:48 PM
I’m going to jump back in only to apologize if it was construed that I was challenging Bagley’s intelligence, I was not. I like him as a player and never saw him do anything to make me think he’s not a good kid.

Not to further derail this thread, but you can apologize for what you said, or you can not apologize for what you said. But what you did is apologize if I (or someone else) construed what you said in a certain way. That is on me (or, us), not you. We are the ones 'construing' your comment, not you.

So feel free to apologize for saying something wrong. But apologizing for how we construed your comment is not an apology, nor is it taking responsibility for what you said. It feels like a somewhat passive way to tell me I misconstrued what you said. Which, if you feel that way, say that and leave the (fake) apology out of it.

(I would have posted this on the OT thread, "Words I Really Dislike", but it just seems to have proper context here)

Wheat/"/"/"
07-07-2018, 05:03 PM
“Money laundering is the act of concealing the transformation of profits from illegal activities and corruption into ostensibly "legitimate" assets. The dilemma of illicit activities is accounting for the origin of the proceeds of such activities without raising the suspicion of law enforcement agencies. Accordingly, considerable time and effort is put into devising strategies which enable the safe use of those proceeds without raising unwanted suspicion. Implementing such strategies is generally called money laundering. After money has been suitably laundered or "cleaned", it can be used in the mainstream economy for accumulation of wealth, such as acquisitions of properties, or otherwise spent.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_laundering

You implied that the Bagleys were involved in concealing illegal or corrupt funds.

From the messages I have received, I assure you that my read of your post is far from an outlier.

But whatever. Given that none of this has to do with the Maryland situation, not sure why you injected this issue into the thread in the first place.

The term “laundered” was used to describe a payment method to Jr. to beat NCAA rules. I never implied there was anything criminal or illegal.

dudog84
07-07-2018, 05:12 PM
The term “laundered” was used to describe a payment method to Jr. to beat NCAA rules. I never implied there was anything criminal or illegal.

Breaking the rules, while not necessarily jail-criminal, is illegal. And isn't this (money) why the FBI is involved in the first place? And the original point of this thread, which you have conflated with Bagley.

Quit trying to parse your post. You'd be wise at this point to follow Green Wave Dukie's advice, you might save some face.

Tripping William
07-07-2018, 09:37 PM

I’ll call BS this time. “Laundered” is a loaded word, and I strongly suspect you’re intelligent enough to know that. So is the phrase “questionable grading system,” which you have not yet addressed following Owen Meany’s response.

This seems to be just another round of whataboutism coming from the putrid end of 15-501. It has become The Carolina Way 2.0.

camion
07-07-2018, 11:36 PM

One apology deserves another i think.

I want to apologize if Wheat construed that with my, “bait a hook” comment I was calling him a troll. I was not.

I was simply referring to his fishing prowess along with my expectation that his post contained elements that would probably generate a good number of posts with opposing viewpoints and derail the original discussion. It appears my expectation was on firm ground.

Now didn’t this thread have something to do with Maryland.

53n206
07-08-2018, 01:24 AM

Thought so too. So many threads wander around.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-08-2018, 09:58 AM

I want to apologize if Wheat construed that with my, “bait a hook” comment I was calling him a troll. I was not.

I was simply referring to his fishing prowess along with my expectation that his post contained elements that would probably generate a good number of posts with opposing viewpoints and derail the original discussion. It appears my expectation was on firm ground.

I keep getting sucked back in...

Look, I have contributed to the discussion. I’m still waiting to see you contribute to the thread beyond keeping after me.

Maybe you can explain how wrong my point was about Mr. Bagley and explain how he was qualified to coach a newly created, fully funded AAU team and receive some big money if not for the talents of his son and as a way to skirt NCAA rules.

(And I really don’t care, all the NCAA rules like that are bull$&@*, none of these kids are really amateurs any more).

I’m fine responding to counter points, but I’m trying to avoid responding to “he’s a troll” posts every time a point of mine becomes tough to defend for someone, gets ignored, and the thread goes sideways on me.

Mr. Bagley and team played the whole ugly game very well. And so did Duke. No violations, they beat the system.

Md, State, UL, Az...not so much it seems.

That’s all I’ve been saying in this thread.

Rich
07-08-2018, 10:21 AM
I keep getting sucked back in...

Look, I have contributed to the discussion. I’m still waiting to see you contribute to the thread beyond keeping after me.

Maybe you can explain how wrong my point was about Mr. Bagley and explain how he was qualified to coach a newly created, fully funded AAU team and receive some big money if not for the talents of his son and as a way to skirt NCAA rules.

(And I really don’t care, all the NCAA rules like that are bull$&@*, none of these kids are really amateurs any more).

I’m fine responding to counter points, but I’m trying to avoid responding to “he’s a troll” posts every time a point of mine becomes tough to defend for someone, gets ignored, and the thread goes sideways on me.

Mr. Bagley and team played the whole ugly game very well. And so did Duke. No violations, they beat the system.

Md, State, UL, Az...not so much it seems.

That’s all I’ve been saying in this thread.

For me, personally, and I don't know the specifics on the Bagley situation, but for you to create an equivalence between whatever Bagley did and 25 years of academic fraud that uNC perpetrated is absurd and insulting. But that's typical of the uNC argument - everyone's doing something wrong but we were just better at it. If that let's you sleep at night, fine with me, but don't you dare come on this Board and equate uNC's 25 years of turning their institution into an academic fabrication just so they could compete athletically with whatever Bagley and his father did. And then you have the gall to turn around and say, "what did I say that was so wrong?"

My last post in which I suggested you be banned for your comment (so Olympic Fan will feel as though he can return) was deleted. Maybe this one will be too, and maybe I'll get an infraction. Whatever, I've generally appreciated most of your comments over the years, but now you're just showing your true colors. If you really can't see the false equivalence you're creating then nothing you ever write on DBR can be taken seriously.

Wheat/"/"/"
07-08-2018, 10:40 AM
For me, personally, and I don't know the specifics on the Bagley situation, but for you to create an equivalence between whatever Bagley did and 25 years of academic fraud that uNC perpetrated is absurd and insulting.

You are looking way deep into the weeds for something that my post had no intention of implying.

UNC’s rules skirting was deplorable and in no way equivalent to the Bagley point I was making on NCAA rules skirting.

Can I be more clear?

JasonEvans
07-08-2018, 03:49 PM
I want everyone to know that the moderation team is in the midst of a very serious discussion about what to do about this thread and certain participants in it. Perhaps we should have closed the thread down while we were having that discussion, but we chose not to do that and maybe that was a mistake. I want everyone to know that we are aware of what is being posted and there will be consequences, perhaps very serious ones, for some of the activities that have taken place. We are not at the point we are able to announce those consequences yet. Please be patient, and rest assured that we are going to handle the situation.

For the time being, my suggestion would be to ignore things that you find offensive or angering in this thread. If you cannot ignore them, hit the report post button and let the moderation team know about your complaints. This is the kind of thing where the ods, as a team, need to come to a consensus which is why it is taking a little bit longer than usual.

-Jason “ I would strongly encourage everyone not to speculate about what actions are going to be taken and do not ask us in a public place to make comments about ongoing deliberations “ Evans

Bay Area Duke Fan
07-09-2018, 07:01 AM
It often seems to me that the prevailing attitude here is that if Duke and Coach K are involved in arguably questionable recruiting practices that it’s merely creative use of the rules, while if another school and coach do it first it’s sleazy or unethical behavior.

camion
07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
It often seems to me that the prevailing attitude here is that if Duke and Coach K are involved in arguably questionable recruiting practices that it’s merely creative use of the rules, while if another school and coach do it first it’s sleazy or unethical behavior.

I wouldn't paint it as starkly as you do, but I would say that posters on this Duke fan site have a strong tendency to favor Duke.

I do not find this surprising.

OldPhiKap
07-09-2018, 09:20 AM
On topic, a good write-up and overview by SI:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/college-basketball/2018/07/07/maryland-subpoenaed-fbi-investigation-college-basketball

PackMan97
07-09-2018, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't paint it as starkly as you do, but I would say that posters on this Duke fan site have a strong tendency to favor Duke.

I do not find this surprising.

There is also evidence that when Duke finds proof of shadiness or severe rule bending, punishments happen. Duke will suspend a student for poor academics or academic malfeasance. Duke will punish a student who breaks the team, school or NCAA rules. The threat of missing games or getting kicked off the team are real threats and while infrequently happen, they do happen. This lends credibility to the idea that Duke does things the right way. They are both monitoring their student-athletes and is willing to punish them when caught. I don't think it's just Duke fans thinking good of Duke.

You can compare and contrast Duke's record in this respect to other nearby schools and look at how often kids miss games because of academics, or how often they'll miss a game or two because of a minor school/NCAA rules violations.

JasonEvans
07-09-2018, 11:38 AM
I want to start by saying that it is unusual for the mod team to talk about an infraction or other punishment. However, in this case we feel it is necessary because so many of you have voiced concerns or opinions. I would ask that you be respectful both of our decision and of the feelings of the individual impacted by this.

Wheat has been given a 7-day time out from the DBR for his actions in this thread. He derailed a conversation about other issues with a controversial post about Marvin Bagley and Duke. He used words like "laundering" and questioned Bagley's academic credentials in ways that had to be answered by Duke fans. It should not surprise him that his post provoked emotions and an angry response from Duke fans. That is the very definition of trolling.

A decision has been made that Wheat's participation in the DBR will be limited going forward. He has been instructed to confine his posts to things that happen on the court. He can talk about players, team performance, coaching decisions, and the such. But, he is no longer allowed to talk about off-the-court issues like the NCAA, college basketball scandals, or recruiting tactics (he may talk about what a recruit may decide and how a recruit might help/hurt a team's prospects). In short, if it happens on the court it is in bounds. Once he start talking about off-court stuff, he is breaking the rules.

I am telling the community about this in the hope the rest of you will not bait Wheat or call him out in conversations in which he is not allowed to participate. The mods have imposed strict rules upon him. We wold ask the rest of you to respect those rules and not try to get him in trouble by baiting him. Rest assured that if you do, the trouble will also fall upon your shoulders.

We thank the community for understanding as we worked through the decision.

-Jason "now, let's get back to talking about stuff that matters... " Evans

luvdahops
07-09-2018, 01:03 PM
I want to start by saying that it is unusual for the mod team to talk about an infraction or other punishment. However, in this case we feel it is necessary because so many of you have voiced concerns or opinions. I would ask that you be respectful both of our decision and of the feelings of the individual impacted by this.

Wheat has been given a 7-day time out from the DBR for his actions in this thread. He derailed a conversation about other issues with a controversial post about Marvin Bagley and Duke. He used words like "laundering" and questioned Bagley's academic credentials in ways that had to be answered by Duke fans. It should not surprise him that his post provoked emotions and an angry response from Duke fans. That is the very definition of trolling.

A decision has been made that Wheat's participation in the DBR will be limited going forward. He has been instructed to confine his posts to things that happen on the court. He can talk about players, team performance, coaching decisions, and the such. But, he is no longer allowed to talk about off-the-court issues like the NCAA, college basketball scandals, or recruiting tactics (he may talk about what a recruit may decide and how a recruit might help/hurt a team's prospects). In short, if it happens on the court it is in bounds. Once he start talking about off-court stuff, he is breaking the rules.

I am telling the community about this in the hope the rest of you will not bait Wheat or call him out in conversations in which he is not allowed to participate. The mods have imposed strict rules upon him. We wold ask the rest of you to respect those rules and not try to get him in trouble by baiting him. Rest assured that if you do, the trouble will also fall upon your shoulders.

I think this is a fair decision. I have defended Wheat in the past, but his behavior in this thread was clearly in the trolling category. Confining his commentary going forward to what happens on the court allows him to continue contributing in that fashion, which is what presumably drew him to DBR in the first place.

jv001
07-09-2018, 08:04 PM

Well done. If I had not sporked you on post #49, I would do so on this post. Good work mods and above all, GoDuke!

SlapTheFloor
07-09-2018, 08:21 PM

Thank you. I'm all for a spirited discussion but this is the *only* place on the internet where I can discuss Duke basketball without defending against a series of baseless accusations about Coach K and his program. As the poet T. Swift said, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate", but we don't have to let them do it here.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-10-2018, 06:55 AM
Thank you. I'm all for a spirited discussion but this is the *only* place on the internet where I can discuss Duke basketball without defending against a series of baseless accusations about Coach K and his program. As the poet T. Swift said, "Haters gonna hate, hate, hate", but we don't have to let them do it here.
Mods, I’m pretty sure quoting poet T Swift is an automatic major infraction, right? ;)

tteettimes
07-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Sure did get quieter around here 👿👿

moonpie23
07-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Wheat has been given a 7-day time out from the DBR for his actions .[/URL]

i think this is fair. Wheat loves BB, and often has very good observations and comments... BUT...he can NOT come in here with any comments regarding "cheating" or ANY NCAA "rules, investigations, or punishment" topics...EVER...

anytime he does, he will be trounced upon, and the thread will be derailed...so, if he can refrain, good on him...if not, he's got to go...

OldPhiKap
07-10-2018, 11:54 AM
My true hope is that he stays within the bounds; that folks don't try to draw him over the line; and that this is the end of the sideshow.

It's tiring to read. It's more tiring to respond. It must be beyond tiring to moderate.

The ball is in his court, and everyone else (myself included) needs to let him play in it fairly. If he can do that, good on him and we have a quality discussion of basketball. If he cannot stay within the lines, I suspect that we will repeat some variation of this same exercise for the umpteenth time.

Here's hoping for the former, expectations notwithstanding.

JasonEvans
07-10-2018, 12:02 PM
If he cannot stay within the lines, I suspect that we will repeat some variation of this same exercise for the umpteenth time.

No we won't... the line has been drawn. If it is crossed, the mod team is very clear about what will happen.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2018, 12:23 PM
No we won't... the line has been drawn. If it is crossed, the mod team is very clear about what will happen.

On behalf of all, thanks.

thedukelamere
07-10-2018, 02:33 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FamousShallowCricket-small.gif

Pghdukie
07-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Now that Kansas has been thrown into the whirlpool of allegations - I hope we do not go thru the same thing this board went thru with the twerbs.