PDA

View Full Version : Yay for the Lions!

JasonEvans
07-05-2018, 04:10 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/05/world/south-africa-poachers-killed-trnd/index.html

Suspected poachers sneaked onto a South African game reserve to hunt rhinos, but a pride of lions found them instead.

The remains were strewn over an area covered with thick brush and Fox said it was impossible to know how many people were killed.

Investigators did find three pairs of boots and three pairs of gloves.

They also found a high-powered rifle with a silencer, wire cutters and an ax that Fox said would have been used to remove a slain rhino's horns.

-Jason "this is how we should treat all poachers... just disarm them and set them loose near a pride of lions" Evans

brevity
07-05-2018, 04:46 PM
In before the wave of disappointed replies from Detroit sports fans.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
As an aside, a new White Rhino was born at the NC Zoo this week.....good week for rhinos, not so much for poachers...

jimsumner
07-05-2018, 06:39 PM
Plus, they're removed from the gene pool.

DukieInKansas
07-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Favorite quote from the article: "It was a bit of luck for us and not so much luck for them," he said.

Troublemaker
07-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Even as a fan of poetic justice and a non-fan of poachers, it still strikes me as a bit unseemly to celebrate these poachers' deaths (even though they are unidentified). Putting aside for a second rudimentary anti-death-penalty arguments -- e.g. maybe if one of the poachers had a "close call" with a lion instead experiencing death by lion, he might've seen the light, chosen a different way to make a living and gone on to become a productive member of society, a second chance that, alas, was denied to him by death -- from a practical standpoint, I don't want to see DBR members celebrating people's deaths (again, even unidentified bad people). It's not a good precedence to set and could impact other discussions down the line.

But maybe I'm just being overly stuffy and/or a jerk here. Wouldn't be the first time :-)

YmoBeThere
07-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Even as a fan of poetic justice and a non-fan of poachers, it still strikes me as a bit unseemly to celebrate these poachers' deaths (even though they are unidentified). Putting aside for a second rudimentary anti-death-penalty arguments -- e.g. maybe if one of the poachers had a "close call" with a lion instead experiencing death by lion, he might've seen the light, chosen a different way to make a living and gone on to become a productive member of society, a second chance that, alas, was denied to him by death -- from a practical standpoint, I don't want to see DBR members celebrating people's deaths (again, even unidentified bad people). It's not a good precedence to set and could impact other discussions down the line.

But maybe I'm just being overly stuffy and/or a jerk here. Wouldn't be the first time :-)

So, I shouldn't have wished for a tactical nuke to hit the Dean Dome during a UNC-Maryland men's basketball matchup?

curtis325
07-05-2018, 10:04 PM

Maybe. I don't celebrate this but I certainly do NOT mourn the death of poachers. Sometimes you get the rhino and sometimes the lions get you. They knew the risks.

brevity
07-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Darken up, Francis.

weezie
07-06-2018, 09:00 AM
In before the wave of disappointed replies from Detroit sports fans.

That would mostly be me.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Maybe a tad stuffy......but not at all a jerk.....and you have a point....:cool:

JasonEvans
07-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Tangentially connected this thread, for some reason this conversation made me think of this cartoon, which is a longtime favorite of mine.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/74/f4/b2/74f4b28d16b990e33f7e848fe99f4543.jpg

Devilwin
07-08-2018, 11:43 PM
What is going to happen next is, those same rangers are going to have to find the lions responsible and take them down. Lions and leopards will continue to kill humans once they have taken human flesh, although they will still take wild game as well. In this respect they differ from the tiger, which will seem to kill and devour only humans once they have developed the habit. The tiger has always been the busiest man eaters of all the big cats, and only the decimation of the species has caused numbers to drop. Even as late as the 1940's, over 1000 people a year were killed by tigers. The tigress of Champawat killed 436 people before being hunted down and killed by noted hunter and conservationist Jim Corbett.

dudog84
07-09-2018, 01:14 PM
What is going to happen next is, those same rangers are going to have to find the lions responsible and take them down. Lions and leopards will continue to kill humans once they have taken human flesh, although they will still take wild game as well. In this respect they differ from the tiger, which will seem to kill and devour only humans once they have developed the habit. The tiger has always been the busiest man eaters of all the big cats, and only the decimation of the species has caused numbers to drop. Even as late as the 1940's, over 1000 people a year were killed by tigers. The tigress of Champawat killed 436 people before being hunted down and killed by noted hunter and conservationist Jim Corbett.

I'm not sure the conservationist movement means the conservation of humans.

Devilwin
07-09-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure the conservationist movement means the conservation of humans.

That's not what I meant. Corbett, after he retired from hunting, became a champion for protecting India's wildlife. A park is named for him there, and a tiger subspecies as well, the Indo Chinese tiger. (Panthera Tigris Corbetti)

dudog84
07-09-2018, 07:11 PM
That's not what I meant. Corbett, after he retired from hunting, became a champion for protecting India's wildlife. A park is named for him there, and a tiger subspecies as well, the Indo Chinese tiger. (Panthera Tigris Corbetti)

Just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of you.

Devilwin
07-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Just to be clear, I wasn't being critical of you.

All good, my friend.