PDA

View Full Version : Thanks To a Duke Fan

peloton
07-02-2018, 11:43 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and publicly express my sincere thanks to a Duke fan who many years ago cultivated my passion for Duke football and basketball. He attended Duke as both an undergrad and later grad student in the divinity school. This very busy Methodist minister still found time to take me to some Duke football and basketball games however. This man imparted many things to me, some very important and meaningful, and some not truly important (in the grand scheme of things). While my love for Duke football and basketball may fall into the latter category, I'll always be truly grateful to him for passing along his passion which in turn has given me so much joy over the years.

I didn't get the chance to tell this Duke fan, my dad Ralph L. Fleming, Jr., how much those times spent together really meant to me before he passed away recently on May 20th at 91. Although I know for certain that he knew what they meant to me, I still wanted to (maybe 'needed to' is more appropriate) post this. A few of you at one of the TBCC tailgates had the chance to meet this big Duke fan who "never met a stranger". Although he was not able to regularly attend Duke games the last few years, he never lost his passion for Duke football and basketball I'm proud to say.

Neals384
07-02-2018, 11:59 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and publicly express my sincere thanks to a Duke fan who many years ago cultivated my passion for Duke football and basketball. He attended Duke as both an undergrad and later grad student in the divinity school. This very busy Methodist minister still found time to take me to some Duke football and basketball games however. This man imparted many things to me, some very important and meaningful, and some not truly important (in the grand scheme of things). While my love for Duke football and basketball may fall into the latter category, I'll always be truly grateful to him for passing along his passion which in turn has given me so much joy over the years.

I didn't get the chance to tell this Duke fan, my dad Ralph L. Fleming, Jr., how much those times spent together really meant to me before he passed away recently on May 20th at 91. Although I know for certain that he knew what they meant to me, I still wanted to (maybe 'needed to' is more appropriate) post this. A few of you at one of the TBCC tailgates had the chance to meet this big Duke fan who "never met a stranger". Although he was not able to regularly attend Duke games the last few years, he never lost his passion for Duke football and basketball I'm proud to say.

Nice tribute, peloton! Sorry for your loss, but glad you had such a great dad!

DukieInKansas
07-03-2018, 10:51 AM
Thank you for sharing, peleton. I'm sorry for your loss. May you enjoy wonderful memories of your Dad through many Duke victories (and very few losses).

53n206
07-03-2018, 12:06 PM
How lucky you both were. So sorry for your loss, so happy for you for your memories.

devildeac
07-03-2018, 12:23 PM

Sorry to read this. We'll raise a toast to him at our first tailgate of the season. You're always welcome to join us again.