PDA

View Full Version : Summer Lax News and Notes

burnspbesq
06-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Big weekend ahead for Duke. It’s likely that five Duke alums will suit up for Team USA against the MLL all-stars tonight, as Will Haus is under consideration to replace the injured Steve DiNapoli. If he makes it, he will join Matt Danowski, Ned Crotty, Jordan Wolf, and Myles Jones on the plane to the world championships next week. The game is on ESPNNews at 7 p.m. Eastern. Then on Saturday, five incoming Duke freshmen are scheduled to play in the Under Armour All-American game, at 8 p.m. Eastern on ESPNU.

Siena hired Albany offensive coordinator Liam Gleason as its new head coach. I believe that leaves Colgate as the only vacancy, with administrative uncertainty at Holy Cross and Air Force.

St. Bonaventure, one of the two new D1 men’s programs starting up in 2019, found a conference. The Bonnies will play in the MAAC, which looks like the best possible fit. No word yet on any conference affiliation for Utah.

Will post something about TV coverage of the world championships when I figure it out. Expect lots of early games, as Netanya, Israel is seven hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time. It’ll be easier in 2022, when the event returns to Coquitlam, B.C., just east of Vancouver. There are rumors that there will be some sort of qualifying process for 2022, and I think that makes sense. More than 32 teams makes for an unwieldy event.

DevilHorse
06-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Siena hired Albany offensive coordinator Liam Gleason as its new head coach. I believe that leaves Colgate as the only vacancy, with administrative uncertainty at Holy Cross and Air Force.

Siena, at least for many years, had been Albany's cross town rivals. If UNC had hired a Duke assistant to fill a vacancy for a coach you might have mixed feelings on that.
Good luck to the Coach, but... that's the best you can do?!

Larry
DevilHorse

burnspbesq
06-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Siena, at least for many years, had been Albany's cross town rivals. If UNC had hired a Duke assistant to fill a vacancy for a coach you might have mixed feelings on that.
Good luck to the Coach, but... that's the best you can do?!

Larry
DevilHorse

I’m sure that’s how Those People Across the River saw it when Ned Harkness signed on to start the hockey program at Union. But it’s a career move that doesn’t require uprooting the family. There’s something to be said for that.

Btw ... Josh Dionne is on line two for you.

burnspbesq
06-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Link to ESPN press release on its coverage of the world championships.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/05/espn-and-espn-to-present-2018-fil-world-lacrosse-championships/

DevilHorse
06-28-2018, 10:50 AM
I’m sure that’s how Those People Across the River saw it when Ned Harkness signed on to start the hockey program at Union. But it’s a career move that doesn’t require uprooting the family. There’s something to be said for that.

Btw ... Josh Dionne is on line two for you.

Wow, Burn.
Trisha Stafford-Odom did something similar.

Strangely, I was talking to someone about Ned Harkness the other day.

I need to get me a line two!

Larry
DevilHorse

brevity
06-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Siena hired Albany offensive coordinator Liam Gleason as its new head coach.

I can tell you that Siena doesn’t have money, but what it does have is a new coach with a very particular set of skills. Skills he acquired over a very long career. Skills that make Siena a nightmare for its opponents.

DevilHorse
06-28-2018, 11:14 AM
I can tell you that Siena doesn’t have money, but what it does have is a new coach with a very particular set of skills. Skills he acquired over a very long career. Skills that make Siena a nightmare for its opponents.

If Albany kidnaps and ransoms his goalie.

Larry
DevilHorse

BD80
06-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Big weekend ahead for Duke. It’s likely that five Duke alums will suit up for Team USA against the MLL all-stars tonight, as Will Haus is under consideration to replace the injured Steve DiNapoli. If he makes it, he will join Matt Danowski, Ned Crotty, Jordan Wolf, and Myles Jones on the plane to the world championships next week. The game is on ESPNNews at 7 p.m. Eastern. ...

Fun game to watch. MLL All Stars win in OT. Danowski is the US coach.

burnspbesq
07-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Will Haus will be on the plane later this week. Way to go, will.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/usa-insider/senior-men/will-haus-added-to-us-mens-team-roster-for-israel

burnspbesq
07-10-2018, 10:07 AM
The folks at collegecrosse.com submitted a FOIA request to FSU, and the yield was interesting, to say the least. Facilities and Title IX compliance are obstacles that will need to be overcome, but there appears to be strong interest, in the C-suite and among deep-pocketed alums, in the Noles adding both men’s and women’s lax.

One of the most interesting tidbits was the cost estimate for women’s lax: $6 million to get started and $1.35 million recurring.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-10-2018, 10:17 AM
Coach Danowski received a well-deserved extension through 2023.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211733955&DB_OEM_ID=4200

chrishoke
07-10-2018, 10:26 AM

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211733955&DB_OEM_ID=4200

This is excellent news. Love Coach Dano!

Native
07-10-2018, 03:30 PM
This is excellent news. Love Coach Dano!

The best in the business, and hands-down one of the kindest human beings you'll ever have the good fortune to meet. Hope he stays at Duke until he hangs it up.

WiJoe
07-10-2018, 05:36 PM

Met Coach in bookstore before he won titles here. He was willing to chat for awhile. Fantastic guy. He also autographed a stick for me when I dropped in on him while my son was at Coach K's camp. He's a very down-to-earth fellow. Fantastic coach. Better man.

Congrats, coach!

budwom
07-11-2018, 07:05 AM
Met Coach in bookstore before he won titles here. He was willing to chat for awhile. Fantastic guy. He also autographed a stick for me when I dropped in on him while my son was at Coach K's camp. He's a very down-to-earth fellow. Fantastic coach. Better man.

Congrats, coach!

I've had a few lengthy chats with him at Duke football games, and what stands out about the man is that there isn't one bit of coachspeak in what he has to say...if you ask him a question, he gives it some thought and gives it a very direct and interesting answer....thoughtful, smart, personable...and his teams have a tendency to improve every year as the season goes on. What's not to like?

burnspbesq
07-12-2018, 09:00 AM
After one game on Wednesday, pool play at the World Championship starts in earnest today in Netanya, Israel. The US faces the Iroquois today at 1:30 Eastern on ESPN2.

In addition to the five Duke alums on the US team, Josh Offitt ‘13 is playing for Israel and rising junior J.T. Giles-Harris will suit up for Puerto Rico.

chrishoke
07-12-2018, 04:45 PM
After one game on Wednesday, pool play at the World Championship starts in earnest today in Netanya, Israel. The US faces the Iroquois today at 1:30 Eastern on ESPN2.

In addition to the five Duke alums on the US team, Josh Offitt ‘13 is playing for Israel and rising junior J.T. Giles-Harris will suit up for Puerto Rico.

Who won?

USA 17-9
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735086&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_ga=2.142368242.1770181692.1531234111-1767095120.1524062245

DukieInKansas
07-12-2018, 04:54 PM
USA 17 - Iroquois 9

Danowski and Wolf each had 2 goals.

eta - I took too long typing this post or missed seeing the link above.

burnspbesq
07-13-2018, 12:22 PM
It took the US a half to get settled, but once they did they handled the Iroquois with relative ease; the second half was 12-2. Trevor Baptiste went 17-19 on faceoffs for the US. Rob Pannell had seven points.

Solid outings for all the Duke guys on Thursday. Poor Will Haus found himself guarding Lyle Thompson with a short stick for a good chunk of the night, but he did as well as you could hope, and added a goal in transition. Matt Danowski and Jordan Wolf had two goals each, and Josh Offitt put up two goals in Israel’s 11-3 win over Jamaica.

The US has today off, and resumes pool play against Australia at 7:30 a.m. Eastern on Saturday.

budwom
07-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Paul, question: are there different competitive tiers in this championship, i.e. it's hard to imagine Jamaica playing the US or Canada for example....are there lesser divisions?

yancem
07-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Paul, question: are there different competitive tiers in this championship, i.e. it's hard to imagine Jamaica playing the US or Canada for example...are there lesser divisions?

I've been trying to figure this out as well. The best I can tell (based on comments by the broadcasters during the game yesterday) is that there is a Blue division which has the upper tier teams and then a second tier with everyone else. Unfortunately most of the web sites I've looked up have provided very little information outside of scores. If lacrosse wants to grow as a sport, it really needs to get websites that provide more information.

burnspbesq
07-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Paul, question: are there different competitive tiers in this championship, i.e. it's hard to imagine Jamaica playing the US or Canada for example...are there lesser divisions?

Yes. The top tier is the Blue Group, which consists of USA, Canada, Iroquois, Australia, England, and Scotland. Link to group listing and standings below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_World_Lacrosse_Championship

CrazyNotCrazie
07-13-2018, 01:02 PM
The bracketing is extremely confusing but here is a fairly helpful breakdown that I found. Basically the top bracket of the top six teams (USA, Canada, Iroquois, Australia, England, and Scotland) gets preference for advancement to the final rounds, but teams outside of the top six also have way in which they could win the whole thing. Top two in the top group go to the semis, next two join the other 42 teams in trying to get the other two spots in the semis, and the bottom two teams in the top group can only finish as high as five or six. And there was some theoretical seeding of the brackets holding the other 42 teams, based on their past performance.

https://laxallstars.com/2018-fil-schedule-released/

It is fascinating to me that this ended up in Israel. Obvoiusly not a lacrosse hotbed, and geographically far removed from the traditional lacrosse hotbeds. With 48 teams, there are a lot of people involved in this tournament, so this is a big event for Israel to host.

yancem
07-13-2018, 01:40 PM
The bracketing is extremely confusing but here is a fairly helpful breakdown that I found. Basically the top bracket of the top six teams (USA, Canada, Iroquois, Australia, England, and Scotland) gets preference for advancement to the final rounds, but teams outside of the top six also have way in which they could win the whole thing. Top two in the top group go to the semis, next two join the other 42 teams in trying to get the other two spots in the semis, and the bottom two teams in the top group can only finish as high as five or six. And there was some theoretical seeding of the brackets holding the other 42 teams, based on their past performance.

It is fascinating to me that this ended up in Israel. Obvoiusly not a lacrosse hotbed, and geographically far removed from the traditional lacrosse hotbeds. With 48 teams, there are a lot of people involved in this tournament, so this is a big event for Israel to host.

Wow, thanks for the link but i have to say that I'm not sure I am any more clear as to how the elimination rounds will be determined!!!! That is seriously confusing and you could probably do a full day seminar on how the seeding will be done. Still, from what I did understand, it seems pretty fair and provides motivation to play hard in every game. It's cool to see that more countries are participating and I hope this will lead to becoming an Olympic sport.

budwom
07-13-2018, 02:35 PM

thanks to all for the links...but reading the above link, I almost got dizzy and fell down....Byzantine in its complexity...bottom line seems to be it's a good idea to finish in the top two of the Big Group, otherwise they throw you in a pit with 50 others teams and somehow two more teams emerge, bloodied and bandaged, for the semis as well. Maybe the tournament is in Israel because they have (barely) enough mathematicians to keep track of the standings?

lmb
07-13-2018, 02:48 PM

I'm hoping it's a concerted effort to grow the game world wide with the eventual goal of making it an Olympic sport. I would love to see lax in the Olympics!

burnspbesq
07-14-2018, 08:52 AM
The US is rolling against Australia, up 12-0 at the half. Baptiste against a high school senior at X is just unfair. The US is dialed in all over the field, including John Galloway in goal.

budwom
07-14-2018, 11:12 AM
The US is rolling against Australia, up 12-0 at the half. Baptiste against a high school senior at X is just unfair. The US is dialed in all over the field, including John Galloway in goal.

I guess that's the primary weird thing about this tournament, as good as it is to celebrate worldwide lacrosse...it would appear that only 2-3 teams max of the 50 or so involved have ANY chance of winning it all: US, Canada, and Iroquois...even within the top division, it's apparent Australia isn't competitive with the top 3, same I would assume for England and Scotland...I suppose we'll just have to make do with this imbalance, and see what teams/countries might be able to step up in the future...

Indoor66
07-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Lacrosse is an American Indian game. We don't do particularly well at Cricket.

BD80
07-14-2018, 02:04 PM
Lacrosse is an American Indian game. We don't do particularly well at Cricket.

Maybe if it were full contact ...

chrishoke
07-15-2018, 09:30 AM
We play the defending champs Canada at noon today on ESPN2.

fuse
07-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Fully acknowledging points for creativity- the “flag” on the side of the helmet is awful.

bigperm13
07-15-2018, 01:48 PM
I agree with the comment on the "flag" on the side of the US helmets. Odd shape to choose. The whole uniform is a fail to me.

BD80
07-15-2018, 02:06 PM
US up 9-8, 9 minutes to go, possession Canada. On ESPN2

BD80
07-15-2018, 02:11 PM
9-9. 8 to go.

BD80
07-15-2018, 02:16 PM
US down 10-9. 5 to go.

BD80
07-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Danowski ties it up at 10, smoking one up under the cross bar. US man up.

BD80
07-15-2018, 02:26 PM
US up 11-10. 1 to go.

chrishoke
07-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Winner

OZZIE4DUKE
07-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Was calling for the stick check in the last minute after we took the lead like checking for pine tar on George Brett’s bat? LGD GTHc!

burnspbesq
07-15-2018, 05:44 PM
Was calling for the stick check in the last minute after we took the lead like checking for pine tar on George Brett’s bat? LGD GTHc!

It is kinda bush-league, but it’s entirely within the rules, and it was a really bad brain-cramp by Gurenlian to go out there with a stick he wasn’t sure was legal. That’s a three-minute, non-releasable penalty. He owes Joe Fletcher big-time for making the big defensive play.

With England and Scotland likely to be blowouts, I’ll be interested to see whether the US gives the emergency goaltender some game action.

TKG
07-15-2018, 08:10 PM
Man, what a physical, at times chippy, game.

BD80
07-15-2018, 08:46 PM

It is fairly common. Something coaches keep in their pocket for just such times.

Many players keep their heads just a hair on the legal side, making it harder for an opponent to dislodge the ball.

Face-off guys put a lot of stress on the heads as they dig for the ball, it is easy to believe that after a couple of dozen face-offs, the head got warped and pinched down. But that head wasn't close to legal, the ref carried the stick back to the sideline upside down, and the ball didn't even budge!

chrishoke
07-16-2018, 10:17 AM
Not bush league at all in my opinion. We got caught using a stick that gave our face off guy significant advantage. That's why it's a 3 minute penalty.

burnspbesq
07-16-2018, 03:55 PM
I think I have the format figured out. Apologies if this turns out to be wrong.

The play-in activity culminates tomorrow with two games, Ireland-Israel and Puerto Rico - Japan.

The winners of those games play the fifth and sixth place teams in the Blue group in what are effectively round of 16 games. If either non-Blue team wins, they move into the Blue group for 2022 if the format stays the same.

The winners of those games play the third and fourth place teams in the Blue group in what are effectively quarterfinals.

The winners of those games play the first and second place teams in the Blue group in the semifinals.

The winners of those games play for the championship at 3:00 a.m. Eastern on Saturday.

yancem
07-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Not bush league at all in my opinion. We got caught using a stick that gave our face off guy significant advantage. That's why it's a 3 minute penalty.

Haven't watched the 4th quarter yet so don't know the details but was the check called for before or after the faceoff? If before than I agree, if after, not so much. I ran the box for my son's team this spring and one of our faceoff guys also played attack and used a different stick for each, so I was always holding his other stick. I was constantly bending his faceoff head back into shape to keep it legal. I would guess that most faceoff heads wouldn't pass a check immediately after the faceoff. They get bent all to hell.

On a side not the VA state championship was decided because the fogo for one team had the ball with a 1 goal lead and a minute to go. The goallie rushed to double him which he dodged leaving an open goal, so he shot. The opposing coach called for a stick check and it failed. Goal waved off, 3 minutes unreleasable, no fogo led to 2 lost faceoffs and 2 goals, game over. A lot of uproar up hear. Most people I've talked to thought it was pretty bush league.

BD80
07-16-2018, 06:50 PM
Haven't watched the 4th quarter yet so don't know the details but was the check called for before or after the faceoff? If before than I agree, if after, not so much. I ran the box for my son's team this spring and one of our faceoff guys also played attack and used a different stick for each, so I was always holding his other stick. I was constantly bending his faceoff head back into shape to keep it legal. I would guess that most faceoff heads wouldn't pass a check immediately after the faceoff. They get bent all to hell. ...

It was called right after the face-off. It was actually kinda funny how pinched the head was. The ref could shake the stick upside down without the ball coming out.

chrishoke
07-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Just fyi, in the women's game, they check the scorer's stick after every goal.

yancem
07-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Just watched the last quarter, the head was definitely pinched prior to the face off but it looked like the Canadian fogo’s stick may have been pinched as well. Would have been interesting if coach D had called for a stick check too. I do wonder how long the head had been pinched and if the Canadian coaches had been watching most of the game. As bad as it was pinched, I don’t blame them for calling for the check.

burnspbesq
07-17-2018, 06:35 PM
Israel and Puerto Rico won today’s “play-up” games over Ireland and Japan, and advance to the quarters. Israel faces Australia and Puerto Rico plays the Iroquois tomorrow. The US and Canada have byes into the semis.

yancem
07-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Israel and Puerto Rico won today’s “play-up” games over Ireland and Japan, and advance to the quarters. Israel faces Australia and Puerto Rico plays the Iroquois tomorrow. The US and Canada have byes into the semis.

Israel may have a chance against Australia. They haven't look all that strong this go around. Be pretty cool if they can finish top 6 and.make the blue group in 4 years.

chrishoke
07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
When does the U.S. play next?

CrazyNotCrazie
07-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Israel may have a chance against Australia. They haven't look all that strong this go around. Be pretty cool if they can finish top 6 and.make the blue group in 4 years.

I'm sure some of the other countries also have some "ringers" from the US, but the Israeli roster is quite loaded, including Tewaaraton winner Max Seibald and Duke's Josh Offit. There are a few homegrown players mixed in but it is largely imports.

http://lacrosse.co.il/israel-announces-roster-for-2018-fil-world-lacrosse-championships/

burnspbesq
07-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Israel and Puerto Rico bowed out in yesterday’s quarterfinals, but both games were decided by second-half runs. Australia rode a 5-1 third quarter and held on to beat Israel, 9-6. The Iroquois went down 3-0 to Puerto Rico, battled back to a halftime tie, and scored the game’s last six goals; the 14-7 final score is extremely misleading. Congrats to the upstarts on a great tournament, and best of luck as they try to build sustainable local programs.

Semifinal Thursday rounds up the usual suspects, US - AUS and CAN - IRQ, starting at 11:00 Eastern.

chrishoke
07-19-2018, 10:12 AM
The United States will face Australia in the semifinal tomorrow at 2 p.m. The U.S. beat the Aussies 19-1 in the pool play game. The game will be televised live by ESPNU.
Canada will face the Iroquois Nationals at 11 a.m. (ET) on ESPNU.

duke2x
07-21-2018, 08:17 AM
It is possible, according to the worldlacrosse2018.com site, that USA won the championship 9-8 over Canada. Perhaps even in a dramatic fashion?

http://worldlacrosse2018.com/schedule-app/#cmd=game-detail&gameid=170

Edit: Here's a better version for those of us living in the USA. We won with 1 second to go.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735720&DB_OEM_ID=4200

chrishoke
07-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Crotty and Dano with 2 points each. Wolf didn't scratch.
Congrats to Coach and all our guys on the World Championship!

JohnJ
07-21-2018, 11:46 AM
It is possible, according to the worldlacrosse2018.com site, that USA won the championship 9-8 over Canada. Perhaps even in a dramatic fashion?

http://worldlacrosse2018.com/schedule-app/#cmd=game-detail&gameid=170

Edit: Here's a better version for those of us living in the USA. We won with 1 second to go.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211735720&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Why would you post this prior to the it being shown on TV in the US today at Noon and not put a “spoiler alert” so I could avoid?

budwom
07-21-2018, 12:47 PM
spoiler alert (though the thread has been tainted already.........

that(the final seconds of the game) was one of the truly greatest clusterclucks I can recall in sports. I don't know if the time they showed on TV was synced with the game clock, but I'm pretty sure it was.
So with several seconds left in the tied game, the US inbounds the ball, guy is running with it in his stick, and the clock hasn't started....hasn't started....then it gets down to about 0.7 seconds and it actually starts running in reverse, i.e. it clicks on up to 2.7 seconds, then it winds down again, giving enough time for the final goal.

I know the refs and coaches didn't see that, but for a minute I was thinking perhaps John Danowski was going to win the all time good sportsman award for agreeing to disallow that goal...but he had no way of seeing what happened (i'm pretty sure) and I'm sure he'll be disappointed that the final result was tainted....again, due to no fault of his or his team's.

duke2x
07-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Why would you post this prior to the it being shown on TV in the US today at Noon and not put a “spoiler alert” so I could avoid?

My sincerest apologies. I had no idea it was being shown on tape delay. I only carry cable to watch Duke basketball games I can't attend.

burnspbesq
07-21-2018, 04:36 PM
Amazing game; I don’t think knowing the outcome will diminish your enjoyment.

The end of the game was unfortunate. Officiating and game administration in international play aren’t up to NCAA/MLL standards, but the only way they can catch up is to learn by doing, and sometimes that means learning from mistakes.

The Duke guys all excelled, but Will Haus really stood out for me. He was the most physical of the US SSDMs, and that really paid off against the Canadian and Iroquois midfields. The US d-mids in general had an extraordinary tournament, culminating in Michael Ehrhardt being named MVP.

Jordan Wolf is back at Duke, getting his MBA at Fuqua. One imagines he will have access to the facilities and be around the team on a semi-regular basis. What an opportunity for Joe Robertson and Joey Manown to learn from one of the best to ever play the position.

JohnJ
07-21-2018, 10:28 PM
My sincerest apologies. I had no idea it was being shown on tape delay. I only carry cable to watch Duke basketball games I can't attend.

Understood and forgiven.

chrishoke
07-22-2018, 12:46 PM
I have to say that I hate it for Team Canada. That is no way to lose a championship. The offsides call that allowed us to tie the game was worse than the clock screw up. :(

burnspbesq
07-22-2018, 07:29 PM
I have to say that I hate it for Team Canada. That is no way to lose a championship. The offsides call that allowed us to tie the game was worse than the clock screw up. :(

True, but the US should have been man-up for the last five seconds. Jordan nearly got decapitated. Bad calls have a tendency to even up over the long run.

One of the takeaways from that tournament is that Canada can now play defense. Hossack and Rees were brilliant in the final; Jordan got bageled and Pannell did nothing for 79:59. The young SSDMs Harris and Bell, who play college ball in Canada, would start for any team in D1. They’ll be even better in four years.

burnspbesq
08-04-2018, 11:15 AM
The NCAA lacrosse rules committee meets next week, and topic one is almost certain to be a shot clock.

There is a lot of support for it, among coaches and fans who don’t like the subjectivity and inconsistent administration of the current rule. I get that, but I also know that I find MLL games to be kinda one-dimensional.

One interesting viewpoint came in an open letter from Coach Danowski to the coaching community.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/coaches-voice-hesitancy-about-shot-clock-ahead-of-next-week-s-ncaa-rules-meeting/52878

chrishoke
08-04-2018, 11:45 AM
The NCAA lacrosse rules committee meets next week, and topic one is almost certain to be a shot clock.

There is a lot of support for it, among coaches and fans who don’t like the subjectivity and inconsistent administration of the current rule. I get that, but I also know that I find MLL games to be kinda one-dimensional.

One interesting viewpoint came in an open letter from Coach Danowski to the coaching community.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/coaches-voice-hesitancy-about-shot-clock-ahead-of-next-week-s-ncaa-rules-meeting/52878

Excellent thoughtful letter. Just what I would expect from our coach. Thanks for sharing that.

Indoor66
08-04-2018, 12:58 PM
It seems to me that most major rules changes in most sports do more harm than good. Video replays, for me, are a prime example. They rarely cause a change in the ruling and waste a great deal of time. Same for clock issues over tenths of a second. Much ado about nothing.

Seems to me that college lacrosse has it right as they play it now.

WiJoe
08-04-2018, 08:45 PM
It seems to me that most major rules changes in most sports do more harm than good. Video replays, for me, are a prime example. They rarely cause a change in the ruling and waste a great deal of time. Same for clock issues over tenths of a second. Much ado about nothing.

Seems to me that college lacrosse has it right as they play it now.

Couldn't agree more.

burnspbesq
08-05-2018, 04:18 PM
MLL semis are set, and plenty of Duke alums will be in action.

New York (Brendan Fowler, Thomas Zenker) at Dallas (Ned Crotty, Zack Greer, Mike Manley, Jordan Wolf)
Denver at Chesapeake (C.J. Costabile, Matt Danowski, Myles Jones)

burnspbesq
08-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Good summary of the rules committee’s decisions here.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2018/8/10/17675240/ncaa-college-lacrosse-60-second-shot-clock-substitution-box-new-rules-offense-transition

I think that except for shrinking the substitution box, they botched it.

Having separate shot clock and clearing clock isn’t inherently awful, but 20 seconds to clear gives teams that can ride a huge advantage, and as near as I can tell there is no provision for the clearing clock being visible. I would have been happier with the women’s 90-second clock.

The dive rule is going to prove impossible to administer. Is diving on a tangent to the crease from GLE a legal dive or a one-minute penalty? Hell if I know. And it’s still going to be nearly impossible to make the push vs. dive call on dodges along GLE.

burnspbesq
08-29-2018, 12:19 PM
A couple of final notes as we move from summer to fall.

D1 defensive coordinators breathed a sigh of relief earlier this week when it became known that Austin Staats (younger brother of former Cuse player Randy) declared for the NLL draft. The 20-year-old made the all-tournament team at the world championships, and has dominated at the juco field and Junior A box levels.

The first 2019 schedule reveal (Princeton) is set for today. The Tigers have a chance to be really good next year; their attack unit, featuring national assists-per-game leader Michael Sowers and Phil Robertson (brother of Joe), who shot 63 percent in 2018, is arguably the best in the country.

Happy fall, y’all.