PDA

View Full Version : UNC Found in Violation of Federal Law

devildeac
06-27-2018, 08:18 AM
Our neighbors are in the headlines again, this time running afoul of Title IX anti-discrimination law about their "policies and procedures governing sexual assault and harassment cases."

Some extremely serious stuff here:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article213838729.html

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Our neighbors are in the headlines again, this time running afoul of Title IX anti-discrimination law about their "policies and procedures governing sexual assault and harassment cases."

Yikes. This is real big time stuff. No schadenfreude on this one.

UrinalCake
06-27-2018, 09:10 AM
They’ve been mishandling sexual assault cases for years. Typically a female files a complaint that they were assaulted and the school ignores it or passes it off to some student committee where it will go nowhere. A couple years ago they even admitted to having underreported their number of assault cases on campus for fear of hurting their public image. It all gets swept under the rug. You might hear a blurb in the local papers (usually the Durham one) but that’s it. No way in hell would I let my daughters go to that school, for reasons having nothing to do with basketball.

uh_no
06-27-2018, 09:39 AM

title IX and assault cases are a land mine from both sides. I don't envy the admins who have to craft these policies.

CameronBornAndBred
06-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Without admitting to any violation, UNC entered into an agreement to review and possibly revise its procedures, to provide reports to the federal government and to submit to monitoring by federal officials.

Familiar game plan.

Newton_14
06-27-2018, 09:52 AM
Familiar game plan.

The “Carolina Way”

OldPhiKap
06-27-2018, 10:07 AM
Yikes. This is real big time stuff. No schadenfreude on this one.

title IX and assault cases are a land mine from both sides. I don't envy the admins who have to craft these policies.

Yup and yup.

This is more serious than a sports rivalry, although identifying it as another manifestation of "the Carolina Way" does resonate with me.

I hope all remedial measures have been taken to correct the problems going forward. While that does not remedy past harms, it at least tends to avoid future ones compounding the problem. As uh_no states, though, this is not an easy thing to administer or to implement in a way that preserves the rights of the accused, the accuser, and the integrity of the process.

PackMan97
06-27-2018, 10:47 AM
Unless the pain of staying the same is more than the pain of changing nothing will happen.

Right now Carolina has suffered almost nothing for their sins. To think they will have changed the culture over their is laughable. All the same people are in charge (Folt and Cunningham are not the ones running things). UNC might be on their best behavior for a year or two, but this type of rot is invasive and does not go away easily.

At some point I keep expecting the adults at UNC to stand up and say enough is enough and to take charge. Maybe I expect too much.

CDu
06-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Unless the pain of staying the same is more than the pain of changing nothing will happen.

Right now Carolina has suffered almost nothing for their sins. To think they will have changed the culture over their is laughable. All the same people are in charge (Folt and Cunningham are not the ones running things). UNC might be on their best behavior for a year or two, but this type of rot is invasive and does not go away easily.

At some point I keep expecting the adults at UNC to stand up and say enough is enough and to take charge. Maybe I expect too much.

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with Cunningham or the athletic dept. Unlike the athletics cheating scandal with AFAM, this one is a general university safety issue and unrelated to sports.

This one is unfortunately a theme across lots of universities. Rape and sexual harassment cases at universities have frequently not been handled very well. Hopefully that is changing. And soon.

devildeac
06-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Somehow, I recall there were several athletes ("student" intentionally omitted here) involved and this was discovered/mentioned during the academicfraud investigation. My vague recollection is that their cases were handled as mentioned above with some cursory work and then handed off to a student committee who found no wrongdoing. Happy the feds are involved now.

The c*rolina way, indeed.

elvis14
06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
These are very serious issues. The Carolina Way. In the end, they'll buy their way out of any punishment. They will also come out with a list of 89 things they changed in response to the issues....right before they release a statement saying the University did nothing wrong and there wasn't really an issue.

PackMan97
06-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with Cunningham or the athletic dept. Unlike the athletics cheating scandal with AFAM, this one is a general university safety issue and unrelated to sports.

This one is unfortunately a theme across lots of universities. Rape and sexual harassment cases at universities have frequently not been handled very well. Hopefully that is changing. And soon.

My point was not bring athletics into the discussion, only that those running things at Carolina are not the public figure heads.

I don't want to for a second imply that cheating at school is even in the same discussion as covering up sexual assault and fostering an environment in which it thrives.

BigWayne
06-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Sadly, this one is in many ways is the same as the AFAM cheating scandal. They will never truly admit they were wrong and will never really change until some entity really hits them with significant punishment. Even one of the activists pushing for changes is afflicted with the mindset that everybody else is guilty of the same or worse, but they are better than the rest of us:

Clark added: "UNC is certainly not the only school that has swept sexual violence and harassment under the rug; however, our students have learned from a great place of higher education, and because we have the knowledge, privilege, and power to do so, we have and continue to hold the university that we love accountable.

AustinDevil
06-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Just to be clear, the reporting thus far leaves open the possibility that this has nothing to do with Cunningham or the athletic dept, although similar scandals at, e.g., Baylor certainly have athletics crossover. Unlike the athletics cheating scandal with AFAM, this one is a general university safety issue and could be unrelated to sports.

FIFY

devildeac
06-27-2018, 01:20 PM
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/article147452669.html

"Three weeks ago, UNC’s Title IX office found that Artis did not violate any UNC policy as claimed by Delaney Robinson, who said she was assaulted Feb. 14, 2016. Robinson appealed."

Hmmm, that same Title IX office now found in violation of federal law. Just coincidentally, this case involves a "u"nc athlete.

“Ms. Robinson is deeply troubled by the University’s apparent disregard of the scientific, medical, and expert evidence that shows she was sexually assaulted on February 14, 2016,” Branch’s statement said."

Not the first complaint filed against "u"nc either:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/03/unc-rape-investigation/316960/

Not pronouncing guilty/not guilty here-only providing examples for discussion of a very difficult and sensitive topic.

CDu
06-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Just to be further clear: I'm not saying that there are no athletes that have committed rape or sexual assault at UNC. Far from it. Just that this particular problem really is a university-level issue, not specific to athletes. It's an issue specific primarily to young men on campus. Many athletes on campus fall under the umbrella of being young men on campus.

It's very different from the AFAM case in that regard, where that was VERY specific to the athletic dept. This is not an issue of a corrupt athletic department working in concert with a corrupt University administration or a corrupt academic department. It's a University administration not handling cases of assault/harassment/rape very well (to say the least), regardless of athlete or not.

If I'm a member of the university not affiliated with the athletic dept or AFAM program, the former doesn't concern me all that much. But the latter does. If I'm a fan of athletics, the former concerns me. The latter concerns me as a human being, and is largely unrelated to sports.

PackMan97
06-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Just to be further clear: I'm not saying that there are no athletes that have committed rape or sexual assault at UNC. Far from it. Just that this particular problem really is a university-level issue, not specific to athletes. It's an issue specific primarily to young men on campus. Many athletes on campus fall under the umbrella of being young men on campus.

It's very different from the AFAM case in that regard, where that was VERY specific to the athletic dept. This is not an issue of a corrupt athletic department working in concert with a corrupt University administration or a corrupt academic department. It's a University administration not handling cases of assault/harassment/rape very well (to say the least), regardless of athlete or not.

If I'm a member of the university, the former doesn't concern me all that much. But the latter does. If I'm a fan of athletics, the former concerns me. The latter concerns me as a human being, and is largely unrelated to sports.

To be honest, I worry more about the young women on campus. The Delaney/Artis case is very troubling, imo.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/nc-college-student-claims-rape;-football-player-suspended/1510389/

Robinson stated she was also asked by DPS investigators about the incident and said they "asked humiliating and accusatory questions."

"My humiliation turned to anger when I listened to the recorded interviews of my rapist by DPS," Robinson's statement continued. "Rather than accusing him of anything, the investigators spoke to him with a tone of comradery. They provided reassurances to him when he became upset. They even laughed with him when he told them how many girls' phone numbers he had managed to get on the same night he raped me. They told him, 'don't sweat it, just keep on living your life and playing football.'"

Keep in mind, why would she have reason to lie about the contents of a recorded interview?

moonpie23
06-27-2018, 02:26 PM
another slap on the wrist for them, then, back to business as usual...

UrinalCake
06-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Did anything ever come out regarding Jail-ek Felon and what he did to get dismissed from the school? There were all sorts of rumors flying around, and then he hired an attorney who was famous for handling sexual assault litigation defense. Claimed he was innocent and his name would be cleared, and was never heard from again.

yancem
06-27-2018, 04:07 PM

If I'm a member of the university not affiliated with the athletic dept or AFAM program, the former doesn't concern me all that much. But the latter does. If I'm a fan of athletics, the former concerns me. The latter concerns me as a human being, and is largely unrelated to sports.

Unless a significant percentage of the cases involve athletes, which would indicate a willingness of the university to look the other way when athletes are involved. I have no information about the demagraphics of the accused (or accusers for that matter) but there would seem to be more motivation to protect accused athletes than there would be to protect non athletes. If the accused are primarily average students, then I would think that in todays progressive/liberal collegiate environment that the norm would lean much more heavily in favor of the accuser (see #me too movement for example).

HereBeforeCoachK
06-27-2018, 04:11 PM
I have no information about the demagraphics of the accused (or accusers for that matter) but there would seem to be more motivation to protect accused athletes than there would be to protect non athletes. If the accused are primarily average students, then I would think that in todays progressive/liberal collegiate environment that the norm would lean much more heavily in favor of the accuser (see #me too movement for example).

Good point...

(and then there's other dirty little not so secret we all know to be true...lot of young women actively and aggressively chase the athletes.....now do with that what you will, but there's no denying it)

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-27-2018, 09:59 PM
These are very serious issues. The Carolina Way. In the end, they'll buy their way out of any punishment. They will also come out with a list of 89 things they changed in response to the issues...right before they release a statement saying the University did nothing wrong and there wasn't really an issue.
I believe the magic number of reforms is 70...

UrinalCake
06-27-2018, 10:08 PM
I believe the magic number of reforms is 70...

Those "reforms" that they cited back in 2014 or so included things like renaming the AFAM department, no longer employing certain people who had actually left of their own accord to take better jobs, creating a website, and making the list of reforms itself.

BluDvlsN1
06-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Somehow, I recall there were several athletes ("student" intentionally omitted here) The c*rolina way, indeed.

Can't spork your efforts here dd, but you gotta know I appreciate the morning coffee laugh!
When your right, your right!

Trinity_93
06-30-2018, 02:22 PM

Now the PTB at UNC will reflect on the results of the investigation, take a long look at their own past actions and ask themselves the hard question, "So how does this affect recruiting?"

MarkD83
06-30-2018, 06:34 PM
Now the PTB at UNC will reflect on the results of the investigation, take a long look at their own past actions and ask themselves the hard question, "So how does this affect recruiting?"

Actually they will just blame it on a typo.

Edouble
07-01-2018, 12:22 AM
Can't spork your efforts here dd, but you gotta know I appreciate the morning coffee laugh!
When your right, your right!

"You're," please.

I can't sit by idly looking at two in a row.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-01-2018, 06:57 AM
"You're," please.

I’m sure it was just a typo.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-01-2018, 07:46 AM

Its always a typo.

BluDvlsN1
07-01-2018, 11:26 AM
"You're," please.

Thanks Edouble for pointing out that mistake. :)

BD80
07-01-2018, 11:59 AM
"You're," please.

Its always a typo.

Your both write.