PDA

View Full Version : K's not going anywhere soon.....

plimnko
06-25-2018, 08:11 PM
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/06/25/coach-k-i-have-no-plans-to-retire/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Well now, here's a fun off season thread!

Great news.

weezie
06-25-2018, 09:15 PM
Oh yay! And, he looks mahhhvelous!

budwom
06-26-2018, 07:25 AM
nice to hear of course, but coaches absolutely HAVE to say this lest recruiting takes a hit...somewhat easier these days though in that most of our recruits only care about K's presence for one year.

PackMan97
06-26-2018, 08:00 AM
6 surgeries in the last two years. At some point his body will make the decision for him, just like with everyone. Great assistants can help push that off and as has been said, your recruiting doesn't depend on him being there more than a year or two.

flyingdutchdevil
06-26-2018, 09:20 AM
1) His body. This is a no brainer. Applicable to any coach/professional where moving around - even minimal movement - is necessary.

2) OAD era ends at the NCAA and Coach K is left with a bunch of okay role players and raw freshman who can't contribute right away.

My two cents...

ChillinDuke
06-26-2018, 09:32 AM
1) His body. This is a no brainer. Applicable to any coach/professional where moving around - even minimal movement - is necessary.

2) OAD era ends at the NCAA and Coach K is left with a bunch of okay role players and raw freshman who can't contribute right away.

My two cents...

Agreed.

But to head off the Doomsdayers if/when the OAD era is put to death, I think K is guarding against #2 starting nowish.

- Chillin

luvdahops
06-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Agreed.

But to head off the Doomsdayers if/when the OAD era is put to death, I think K is guarding against #2 starting nowish.

- Chillin

I would also think that his competitive nature is such that he would not want to end his career without successfully managing through that transition.

sagegrouse
06-26-2018, 10:16 AM
Good for Coach K, but we should be grateful for every year. As in the Old English saying, "Time and tide wait for no man."

thedukelamere
06-26-2018, 12:37 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FantasticSophisticatedAmurratsnake-small.gif

duke79
06-26-2018, 12:44 PM
I would also think that his competitive nature is such that he would not want to end his career without successfully managing through that transition.

I think you're right here......I'm guessing that K has not really liked the OAD era (for a variety of reasons but mostly because it diminishes his coaching abilities?); I'm also guessing he might relish going back to the "old days" when you could develop players over a number of years. Barring major health issues, I'm thinking he's staying around for a while. It may explain why Jeff Capal left to go to Pitt.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Well now, here's a fun off season thread!

Great news.

...does this mean the Carters won't be coming back to visit anytime soon?

korshmar
06-27-2018, 09:04 AM
Good for Coach K, but we should be grateful for every year. As in the Old English saying, "Time and tide wait for no man."

I'm not so sure. I think Coach K is staying too long. I was impressed with Coach Capel. I actually liked his game time coaching better, he played players. He seems to be of high character. I think the best thing would have been him taking over the program. Now, that's not going to happen. So, my absolute best scenario would have been for Duke to have won it last year, Mickie telling Coach K that's it, go out a winner, and Capel taking over.

NSDukeFan
06-27-2018, 09:54 AM
My absolute best scenario would be for coach K to keep coaching as long as he has the passion to keep doing so.

Sir Stealth
06-27-2018, 11:09 AM
I'm not so sure. I think Coach K is staying too long. I was impressed with Coach Capel. I actually liked his game time coaching better, he played players. He seems to be of high character. I think the best thing would have been him taking over the program. Now, that's not going to happen. So, my absolute best scenario would have been for Duke to have won it last year, Mickie telling Coach K that's it, go out a winner, and Capel taking over.

In the context of a Duke board this is about as hot a take as can be put out there. I suspect most will disagree strongly. I don't think the opinion needs to be treated as an unacceptable position, as many legendary coaches have in fact stayed on too long, but I still think that it is badly mistaken. We are very, very lucky for every single year that K hangs on, and I do not think there is evidence that he has lost a beat at all. We will miss him badly when he is gone, and I am sure we would miss him badly even if he was replaced by Coach Capel at the ideal time. People will be surprised how hard it is to maintain the level that Duke has in the latter days of Coach K.

Also, while I love Coach Capel, he has also been the subject of plenty of hype that's not really backed up by any evidence. His in-game coaching style wasn't really as drastically different as it's been made out to be - it's not like Coach K didn't sometimes experiment with playing more/different players throughout the past few seasons game to game. And so much of the recruiting legend attributed to Capel is sort of just subjective - the truth is Duke recruited at a very high level before Capel was on the staff, and that many of our recruiting successes during Capel's tenure were led by other capable assistants. The real driver of our recruiting success continues to be, more than any other factor, the personality and reputation of Coach K. I think Coach Capel has demonstrated that he can be a good head coach and hope that he continues a fine career at Pitt, but Coach Capel's grass is not and would never be greener than Coach K's grass even if Coach K coaches to 100 years old.

OldPhiKap
06-27-2018, 11:51 AM

I love Coach Capel, and believe that he has an incredibly bright future.

Hard to argue, though, that a man who has won five national championships; who still consistently wins top recruiting battles; and who still has us perennially in the top ten should move on "because it's time" for the next guy. His last NC was just three years ago -- it's not like the game has passed him by.

Edit to add: I would argue that last year was one of the best coaching jobs K has done in his entire career. And in looking at the job he did in 2015 with the dismissal of Sheed and winning with just eight players, in 2017 with the injuries, and last year adopting a zone, I would respectfully suggest that K is at the top of his game right now.

sagegrouse
06-27-2018, 12:11 PM

A fair opinion. I fear there will be a downturn after Coach K's retirement; therefore, I prefer to stay with Krzyzewski, even if his abilities as a coach decline a bit. (His recruiting, however, has been spectacular -- and that's well over one-half of the job.)

budwom
06-27-2018, 01:57 PM
two thoughts:
1) coaches have to say they're sticking around just to keep recruiting going.
2) as long as K is recruiting as well as he has been, it'll be tough for him to walk away unless Mickie drags him by the nose hairs.

rsvman
06-27-2018, 02:08 PM

Stephen A., is that you?

Edouble
06-29-2018, 09:07 PM

Had Coach K won it all last year, that would have been two National Championships in four years, three NCs in nine years. How could that be a coach that is overstaying his welcome?

JasonEvans
06-30-2018, 10:51 AM
K ponders the class of 2040.

http://m.blog.hu/un/unanswered/image/590e3fd2ecc02a27de9aca92cd296499.jpg

OldPhiKap
06-30-2018, 12:22 PM
K ponders the class of 2040.

http://m.blog.hu/un/unanswered/image/590e3fd2ecc02a27de9aca92cd296499.jpg

“I hope we land Grayson Allen, Jr.”