PDA

View Full Version : Podcast #120 up - NBA Draft Wrapup

-jk
06-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Linky (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-120-nba-draft-wrap)

0:00 Thanks to Byrd Campbell

0:30 Jason welcomes Donald to this NBA Draft pod. The theme is “Free Fallin’”

1:40 We are joined by a special guest, one of the DBR posters when it comes to the NBA, CDu (Mickey Wilson).

2:45 How the NBA shunning Trevon Duval messed up our podcast plans.

3:40 Marvin Bagley goes #2. We are not surprised and wonder what this might say about Harry Giles’ future in Sacto.

5:55 Jason wants to talk about interviews and outfits.

7:55 Mickey celebrates his Chicago Bulls getting Wendell Carter and talks about how well Carter fits on the Bulls.

10:05 Jason continues talking about really important stuff as he focuses on Carter’s clothes and other silliness.

11:30 Jason gives us some amazing stats about how well K has done producing high draft picks.

13:05 Grayson gets to play for Quin. Donald likes the way Donovan Mitchell embraced Grayson.

18:20 Final thoughts on round #1 – Mickey says Carter may be the steal of the draft.

19:30 Round #1 thoughts – Jason talks about Jerome Robinson and Josh Okogie, two ACC guys who had a much better than expected night… and also reflects on the dramatic fall of Michael Porter.

22:10 Round #1 thoughs – Donald is impressed with the pick of Kevin Huerter.

23:25 We move on to round 2 and Gary Trent landing in Sacto… I mean Portland. Mickey says this is a really good fit for Gary.

26:40 Donald talks about how being a 2nd rounder is going to motivate Trent.

29:30 Duval goes undrafted… it is both stunning and also makes a lot of sense.

35:30 Jason lays out the myriad of Duke connections to NBA front-offices, which means Duval had to know his stock was not great.

40:40 Donald says the two most important words for Trevon Duval are, “Summer League!”

41:20 Jason talks about all the guys who entered the NBA early and then didn’t get drafted… it is quite a list.

43:20 Goodbye and Duke band

JasonEvans
06-23-2018, 10:39 AM
Huge thanks to CDu for being a voice of reason on this pod!

gep
06-23-2018, 06:01 PM
It was nice to hear a "real voice" (audio, I mean) from CDu after all these years... :cool:

cbarry
06-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Nice to know who the man behind the "CDu" mask is... And here I was thinking it was Duhon... ;)

Nice analysis of the draft. Thanks for that, y'all.

CDu
06-24-2018, 06:20 PM
Huge thanks to CDu for being a voice of reason on this pod!

It was nice to hear a "real voice" (audio, I mean) from CDu after all these years... :cool:

Nice to know who the man behind the "CDu" mask is... And here I was thinking it was Duhon... ;)

Nice analysis of the draft. Thanks for that, y'all.

Thanks for having me on, Jason. It was fun - I just hope I wasn’t too rambly!

I am a little hesitant to listen - gonna be weird to hear my own voice.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Ill listen to the podcast on Monday as I drive to Charlotte! LGD GTHc!

MartyClark
06-24-2018, 06:47 PM
Thanks for having me on, Jason. It was fun - I just hope I wasn’t too rambly!

I haven't listened yet, will tomorrow. I'm sure you were great.

I think we should have a poll on the DBR members we most want to get a guest shot on the podcast. My 3 votes go for weezie, Sage Grouse, and throaty beard.

BD80
06-24-2018, 08:31 PM

As my "friends" always comment after an audio broadcast appearances:

"You have a face for radio"

UrinalCake
06-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Great podcast, nice to hear from the crew after a long break and excellent job by your guest host. I’ve been asking myself a similar question regarding Trent and Duval - did they get bad information, or would they have chosen to go anyways had they known where they would end up being drafted? It’s a tough situation for the players who are on the fence because the first decision they have to make is whether or not to hire an agent, but they have to make that decision without having any help lest they forfeit their ineligibility. Hopefully some of the proposed changes will allow them to get some professional representation to help them through the process while still leaving the door open to return to school. Maybe some of them still go anyways but the guys Jason pointed out - Newman, Trier, Gabriel, etc. all could conceivably benefit by returning to school for a year.

One last note, it kind of cracks me up that Jason kept mispronouncing Duval’s name, and at this point it doesn’t even matter. Kind of an unfortunate statement on how little we get to know these OAD’s when we don’t even need to learn their names before they’re gone.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-25-2018, 11:13 PM
Ill listen to the podcast on Monday as I drive to Charlotte! LGD GTHc!
Solid effort guys. Thanks CDu for joining in. LGD GTHc!

gep
06-26-2018, 12:49 AM
Jason... you discussed your "interest" on player interviews after they got drafted. But, except for the comments by you and the others about Donovan Mitchell, I'm not sure I heard you discussing Grayson's interview. I saw a few post-draft interviews, and I thought he was good. Comments?