PDA

View Full Version : Who would you trade straight up for Tatum?

UrinalCake
06-18-2018, 11:07 AM
All the recent Lebron and Kawhi talk has got me thinking - if you’re the Celtics, how many players out there would you be willing to trade straight up for Tatum right now? Keep in mind all of the real world factors - player age and health and injury history, contract status, fit with the team, trading to a conference rival, etc. Assume the salary cap is not an issue, i.e. your owner is willing to pay whatever luxury tax comes with this trade. I think there’s maybe 10-15 guys out there. Obviously LeBron, assuming you signed him to a max deal. Kawhi would actually give me some pause just because we don’t know the extent of his injury and he only has a year left. Durant seems like a no-brainer, but again he only has a year left (I think). Guys like Anthony Davis, Paul George, Greek Freak, Russell Westbrook would be in play. Anybody else?

Neals384
06-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Maybe a bit of Duke bias here, but I’m NT trading Tatum.

Acymetric
06-18-2018, 11:22 AM
If you were going to trade Tatum, this is the time to do it. On the other hand, I am not sure I would be comfortable trading one of the best up and coming young talents in the NBA right now for a player with any risk, especially if they are older (so two strikes against Kawhi).

NSDukeFan
06-18-2018, 11:47 AM
As Mock GM of the Phoenix Suns, you can have anyone on our roster, but I think I will keep the #1 pick.
This basically means we would trade Devin Booker or Josh Jackson for Tatum.

ncexnyc
06-18-2018, 12:18 PM
Since this is from a Celtic POV you have to ask what does the team need. They seem to be lacking at C and PF so I guess we could say Durrant, Davis, Porzingis, Embiid, and maybe KAT.

drummerdevil
06-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Giannis, Porzingis (if he can be proven healthy) and maybe Anthony Davis are the only players... I'm completely confident Tatum is going to be amazing.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Anthony Davis. That’s the only player I’m trading JT0 for.

Wahoo2000
06-18-2018, 12:30 PM
People are going to become wary of trading with the Celtics. Stevens is such a genius and great player development guy you just don't know if your organization is going to be able to replicate the success of a specific player. The Isaiah Thomas trade was a debacle for the Cavs, and I honestly don't think that's purely because of the injury. I think you'll see players over the next 5-10 years depart the Celtics, then be significantly worse elsewhere.

Stevens - he can take his and beat yours, or take yours and beat his. He's that kind of coach.

Edited to add: This is **NOT** a slam or slight on Tatum in any way. I think he's fantastic, and probably would be anywhere. Stevens might be getting him to a high level a little faster than other organizations would, though.

kAzE
06-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Anthony Davis. That’s the only player I’m trading JT0 for.

I came here to post this.

Probably Durant, even with the huge payroll increase. I think Durant will end up as a top 10 player of all time, and he's only 29, so you basically give up what you have to to get him. There's no way that trade would ever work out financially though.

But definitely not KAT, Simmons, Embiid, or Kawhi. Tatum will be the better than all of those guys in 3 years.

jimsumner
06-18-2018, 12:47 PM
I came here to post this.

Probably Durant, even with the huge payroll increase. I think Durant will end up as a top 10 player of all time, and he's only 29, so you basically give up what you have to to get him. There's no way that trade would ever work out financially though.

But definitely not KAT, Simmons, Embiid, or Kawhi. Tatum will be the better than all of those guys in 3 years.

Certainly, the Greek Freak. He might be the best player in the NBA in two years. Maybe sooner.

And trading for Lonzo Ball would give you a bonus dad.

Admit it, wouldn't part of you just love to see LaVar try his shtick on Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens?

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 12:53 PM
Certainly, the Greek Freak. He might be the best player in the NBA in two years. Maybe sooner.

Admit it, wouldn't part of you just love to see LaVar try his shtick on Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens?

I'd seize to be a Celtics fan if a Ball became part of the organization.

The Greek Freak is a great player, but he's somewhat superfluous with Tatum, Brown, and Hayward on board. If you can give up Brown or Tatum, Rozier, and the Sac pick next year for Davis, you still retain wing talent and you severely upgrade yourself at the 5.

UrinalCake
06-18-2018, 12:57 PM
If the Lakers offered me Lonzo Ball FOR FREE, I don’t think I would take him.

UrinalCake
06-18-2018, 12:59 PM
As Mock GM of the Phoenix Suns, you can have anyone on our roster, but I think I will keep the #1 pick.

I would rather have Tatum than the #1 pick. Your best realistic hope with the #1 pick is that he becomes as good as you know Tatum already is. Or put another way, imagine if Tatum was in this year’s draft and you knew everything you currently do. Wouldn’t he be the #1 pick?

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 12:59 PM

That's because everyone knows LiAngelo is the best Ball(er) ;)

luvdahops
06-18-2018, 01:04 PM

The Greek Freak is a great player, but he's somewhat superfluous with Tatum, Brown, and Hayward on board. If you can give up Brown or Tatum, Rozier, and the Sac pick next year for Davis, you still retain wing talent and you severely upgrade yourself at the 5.

Davis is a no-brainer, but Giannis has far more playmaking ability than any of those three, and is an even more versatile defender to boot. But you would definitely be sacrificing 3-point shooting.

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
I LOVE Tatum. But if I’m the Celtics I would give up Tatum to get Kawhi. That would turn the Celtics into an instant title contender. I would much rather give up Hayward obviously.

Billy Dat
06-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Obviously, we have to throw out the rules governing trades because you literally couldn't trade Tatum for all of these great players because the money doesn't match up. But, let's throw that out the window but assume you have to pay attention to the cap and their salary commitments going forward.

Since the Celtics seem to be all about championships, and because it's very hard to forecast all the other players and contracts beyond one year, I think you have to consider only players that make them immediate favorites to win next year.

There are some who think the Celtics are among the top 2-3 favorites...so the smartest thing may be to not trade Tatum.

If you were looking at just winning next year, I think the list of guys who in a straight up trade would make them prohibitive favorites to win includes Durant, Lebron, AD and Harden. Part of this math, especially with KD and Harden, is how much you are weakening another title contender. Does Giannis automatically make that one year list? Does anyone else?

Acymetric
06-18-2018, 01:15 PM
I LOVE Tatum. But if I’m the Celtics I would give up Tatum to get Kawhi. That would turn the Celtics into an instant title contender. I would much rather give up Hayward obviously.

There is definitely a case to be made for this, and I can't say it is wrong, but I feel like the Celtics are set up to build a team in a similar way to the Warriors with their young talent and loads of draft picks. They are already title contenders, and I'm not sure adding Kawhi for a couple years to improve now is a better strategy than holding pat and improving "organically" over the next 2-6 years with a young core (and the latter part of that window should coincide with the decline of the Warriors).

OZ
06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Can't imagine why anyone would consider trading Tatum for Kawhi. Tatum is just getting started.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Can't imagine why anyone would consider trading Tatum for Kawhi. Tatum is just getting started.

Because Kawhi is a top 5 player right now. Tatum is top 50. Next year, he could arguably be top 25.

MartyClark
06-18-2018, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I admit it. It doesn't make me a good person but it would be very entertaining.

NSDukeFan
06-18-2018, 01:47 PM

What if you also got his dad?

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Some of y’all are forgetting that Kawhi is only 26. I agree that the sky is the limit for Tatum but Kawhi is there now. We also don’t know that Tatum will ever turn into the defender that Kawhi. Any time you feel like you are in contention to win a championship you do what you can to win one NOW. Holding onto pieces to win one down the road is a gamble.

NSDukeFan
06-18-2018, 01:49 PM
I would rather have Tatum than the #1 pick. Your best realistic hope with the #1 pick is that he becomes as good as you know Tatum already is. Or put another way, imagine if Tatum was in this year’s draft and you knew everything you currently do. Wouldn’t he be the #1 pick?

It’s the guarantee vs. the potential for a homerun. I like having the #1 pick in this year’s draft as there’s a lot of talent at the top. Will Ayton, Bagley and/or Doncic be better than Tatum? I think it’s possible.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Some of y’all are forgetting that Kawhi is only 26. I agree that the sky is the limit for Tatum but Kawhi is there now. We also don’t know that Tatum will ever turn into the defender that Kawhi. Any time you feel like you are in contention to win a championship you do what you can to win one NOW. Holding onto pieces to win one down the road is a gamble.

I'm calling it now. Tatum will never be the defender Kawhi is. But Tatum's offense has the opportunity to make him a top 10 player.

devildeac
06-18-2018, 02:37 PM

Interesting/cool choice of words.

;)

devildeac
06-18-2018, 02:38 PM

Why not? That's even better than BOGO.

:rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Interesting/cool choice of words.

;)

Christ. Damn you, English language!

kAzE
06-18-2018, 02:58 PM

I dunno, I'm not as sold on Giannis yet. Without a serviceable jump shot, he'll never be the best player in the NBA. Kevin Durant is basically a less athletic version of Giannis who also happens to be a better ball handler and an elite shooter. But if Giannis ever does figure out his jumper (even if only a mid range jumper), then all bets are off. His defense and athleticism are on a level that KD can't reach.

But not having a jump shot does hurt. It forces your team to play a certain way, whereas Tatum right now can fit into any lineup in any role and thrive.

I'm not denying that Giannis is a better player right now, but it's not as simple of a no-brainer as trading Tatum for Anthony Davis would be.

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 03:02 PM
I dunno, I'm not as sold on Giannis yet. Without a serviceable jump shot, he'll never be the best player in the NBA. If he does figure out his jumper (even if only a mid range jumper), then all bets are off.

But not having a jump shot does hurt. It forces your team to play a certain way, whereas Tatum right now can fit into any lineup in any role and thrive.

I'm not denying that Giannis is a better player right now, but it's not as simple of a no-brainer as trading Tatum for Anthony Davis would be.

I think you mean three point shot. The Freak has a decent mid range game. And I think you trade Tatum for the Freak 100 times out of 100 if you can. And Onve again I love Tatum

kAzE
06-18-2018, 03:04 PM
I think you mean three point shot. The Freak has a decent mid range game. And I think you trade Tatum for the Freak 100 times out of 100 if you can. And Onve again I love Tatum

Again . . . I just don't think the gap is as large as you guys make it out to be. I don't know what this decent mid range game is, because it's not shooting mid range jumpers. His best mid range play is jumping from mid range and dunking it.

Jayson Tatum's age 19 season was WAY better than Giannis' age 19 season. It was also way better than Giannis' age 20 season. Yes, Giannis has some physical attributes that Jayson will never possess, but Jayson is on a rookie contract and I highly doubt Giannis will ever be as good of an offensive threat as Jayson.

Barring injury, Tatum will be a top 10 NBA player. I personally would not give him up for Giannis, but I can also understand the argument for doing that trade.

dukelifer
06-18-2018, 03:07 PM
All the recent Lebron and Kawhi talk has got me thinking - if you’re the Celtics, how many players out there would you be willing to trade straight up for Tatum right now? Keep in mind all of the real world factors - player age and health and injury history, contract status, fit with the team, trading to a conference rival, etc. Assume the salary cap is not an issue, i.e. your owner is willing to pay whatever luxury tax comes with this trade. I think there’s maybe 10-15 guys out there. Obviously LeBron, assuming you signed him to a max deal. Kawhi would actually give me some pause just because we don’t know the extent of his injury and he only has a year left. Durant seems like a no-brainer, but again he only has a year left (I think). Guys like Anthony Davis, Paul George, Greek Freak, Russell Westbrook would be in play. Anybody else?
I think you have to consider the cap as that is what makes Tatum so valuable. He is cheap, productive and most importantly plays his best in big moments. The ability to perform in the clutch is why he is highly coveted. If I had to pick- it would be Davis. He is a true freak of basketball nature and is still in his prime.

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Again . . . I just don't think the gap is as large as you guys make it out to be.

Jayson Tatum's age 19 season was WAY better than Giannis' age 19 season. It was also way better than Giannis' age 20 season. Yes, Giannis has some physical attributes that Jayson will never possess, but Jayson is on a rookie contract and I highly doubt Giannis will ever be as good of an offensive threat as Jayson.

Barring injury, Tatum will be a top 10 NBA player. I personally would not give him up for Giannis, but I can also understand the argument for doing that trade.

Giannis won’t be as good of an offensive threat??? He averaged 26.9 pts per game last year. And he’s only 23 years old.

kAzE
06-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Giannis won’t be as good of an offensive threat??? He averaged 26.9 pts per game last year. And he’s only 23 years old.

But he's about a 32% shooter outside of 10 feet. He's a threat, but not a multifaceted threat like Tatum.

You're judging Tatum based on his age 19 season. When Giannis was 19, he was averaging 6.8 points.

Jayson is going to get much stronger and be able to put up some ridiculous numbers by the time he's 23.

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 03:15 PM
But he's about a 32% shooter outside of 10 feet. He's a threat, but not a multifaceted threat like Tatum.

Imagine how good he’ll be once he adds that, and I think he will. Shooting is one of the easiest things to learn in basketball. I learned how to shoot, I just can’t be taught to be a 6 11 freak athlete.

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 03:17 PM

You're judging Tatum based on his age 19 season. When Giannis was 19, he was averaging 6.8 points.

Jayson is going to get much stronger and be able to put up some ridiculous numbers by the time he's 23.

Lol. You’ve made some good points. But I don’t see how the average PPG of a player 3-4 years ago holds any weight today.

kAzE
06-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Lol. You’ve made some good points. But I don’t see how the average PPG of a player 3-4 years ago holds any weight today.

Like I said, I can see your side of the argument. There are clear advantages to having Giannis Antetokoumnpo on your squad. But it's no guarantee he'll ever become a good shooter. It's not like he hasn't been working on it. He's just not a natural shooter.

Furthermore, Tatum isn't on Giannis' level as an athlete, but he still qualifies as a ridiculous athlete. Some of the dunks he had this year were outrageous. The only thing Giannis does that is probably unattainable by Jayson is the defense.

But the #1 most valuable thing in the NBA is a guy who can go get a bucket by himself in the last 5 minutes of a playoff game. Tatum can do that. Giannis maybe not.

jimsumner
06-18-2018, 04:05 PM

I don't think it's unfair to suggest that Tatum had access to better coaching, training and competition than Giannis over those first 18 years.

Put it another way. How good is Giannis at 19 if he grows up in the Greater St. Louis area, plays high-level high school and AAU ball and gets a season under Mike Krzyzewski?

Antetokounmpo was still learning things at age 19 that Tatum had learned years earlier.

UrinalCake
06-18-2018, 04:11 PM

But by then he will be at the end of his rookie contract and likely in line for a max deal. Greek Freak could put your team over the top NOW by giving you enough to beat the Warriors next season. Which is what makes this such a fun exercise 8-)

Again, the intent was not to debate which players were better at the same point in their careers, or who has the most potential down the road. It’s a question of what you would do today.

OZ
06-18-2018, 04:19 PM
I'm calling it now. Tatum will never be the defender Kawhi is. But Tatum's offense has the opportunity to make him a top 10 player.

Wow! I just love these "never will be" posts. Only wish I were so forward thinking. Such absolute knowledge certainly takes the mysteries out of life.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Wow! I just love these "never will be" posts. Only wish I were so forward thinking. Such absolute knowledge certainly takes the mysteries out of life.

I assume you still think Jahlil Okafor will be an All-Star/make an All-NBA team?

I'm stating the obvious. Kawhi won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award in '15 and '16. He's a top 3 defender in the league. Tatum is a solid defender. He may even be really good. Possibly elite. But to be Kawhi, you have to be whatever better than elite is.

Indoor66
06-18-2018, 04:38 PM

You must not read a lot of posts here. The only thing missing are some stats that "support" never.

superdave
06-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Bill Simmons used to rank the top 50 guys based on age, contract, salary, etc. The goal was to settle whether you'd rather have Lebron at 33 for $36 million for 1 year or Tatum at 19 and $7 million for 4 more years on a rookie contract. It was always a fun article....not sure if he does that anymore.

I think a good argument would be Ben Simmons vs Jayson Tatum. Similar production and similar contracts. Who would you rather have?

One is maybe the next in the line of Magic/Lebron and the other is a Duran/Pierce type player. Tough choice.

kshepinthehouse
06-18-2018, 06:01 PM
I don't think it's unfair to suggest that Tatum had access to better coaching, training and competition than Giannis over those first 18 years.

Put it another way. How good is Giannis at 19 if he grows up in the Greater St. Louis area, plays high-level high school and AAU ball and gets a season under Mike Krzyzewski?

Antetokounmpo was still learning things at age 19 that Tatum had learned years earlier.

Depends on what you’re goal is. I think the Celtics want to win right now. I think their goal is to do whatever they can to make their team better in the present. If the question is, who will help them win a title this coming year, I think the Freak will win that argument. If they question is who is more valuable over the course of the rest of their career, then it becomes more complicated. There are countless times when teams have stockpiled talent and are said to be the next big thing. And it doesn’t turn out like everyone has envisioned. There are a few teams who were supposed to take the reigns from the Cavs in the eastern conference and that hasn’t happened either.

I think most of us can agree that Tatum is nearly untouchable. But I wouldn’t say he’s 100 % untouchable yet.

left_hook_lacey
06-18-2018, 06:06 PM
Yeah, I love tatum and glad he had a good year. But no GM in their right mind would even offer the players to OP mentioned for a straight up trade for Tatum. Fun to think about, but the idea needs to be on the shelf a few more years to find out for sure what kind of okayer Tatum will be. Too early.

ncexnyc
06-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Interesting to see so many people willing to take Kawhi over Tatum.
I don't have much faith in a man who sits out the majority of a season with a questionable injury, basically bailing on his team and a grown man who can't speak-up for himself. Not the type of player who has Team Leader written all over him. And please don't bother to mention that he won an Finals MVP Award. If you look at his stats for that round you'll see that Scottie Pippen with his 6 rings had better stats than Kawhi did on several occasions, but didn't win that award.

Wahoo2000
06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
I don't have much faith in a man who sits out the majority of a season with a questionable injury, basically bailing on his team and a grown man who can't speak-up for himself. Not the type of player who has Team Leader written all over him. And please don't bother to mention that he won an Finals MVP Award. If you look at his stats for that round you'll see that Scottie Pippen with his 6 rings had better stats than Kawhi did on several occasions, but didn't win that award.

I wouldn't question the heart or work ethic of a multi-time DPOY award winner. Guys that play defense on that level don't get there by being lazy or heartless. There could be tons of reasons a guy is slow to get back from injury, none of which have to do with him "bailing on his team".

Addendum: pre-injury, Leonard was a consensus top 3-5 NBA player, and I think MOST had him ahead of Durant as the "runner up" to Lebron. Hands down the best defensive player in the NBA, and a 25ppg scorer. Those don't grow on trees......

OZ
06-18-2018, 07:23 PM
You must not read a lot of posts here. The only thing missing are some stats that "support" never.

Oh, I read the posts; and I am personally familiar with the "will never" posts. When AOC had a good scrimmage at the Blue/White, I posted I thought he would get "meaningful minutes" during the year. I was soundly put in my place with... "he will not get meaningful minutes"... "he will not get meaningful minutes in important games"..."he will not play after January"... "he will not play in ACC games." One person even offered up a player from years past proclaiming that AOC would "never" play as many minutes as this player did his freshmen year...In the end, AOC exceeded him.That's why I don't care for these "absolute" predictions. To me, they dismiss the human equation... heart...development...coaching...etc. They diss the possibilities of the unexpected.

NSDukeFan
06-18-2018, 07:57 PM
If KenPom doesn’t give it much likelihood, is it really statistically possible? 😀

CoachJ10
06-18-2018, 08:15 PM

As a Cheesehead by birth, I still follow the Bucks...and I would make an observation about the direction that Giannis is trending. While he has physical tools that are elite of the elite and have been developing, his basketball IQ has been severly hampered by having terrible coaches help grow it. I worry that some damage has been done to the growth of a physical specimen who could have been the kind of star that makes players around him better, but who might now just be a great stat stuffer.

cato
06-18-2018, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't question the heart or work ethic of a multi-time DPOY award winner. Guys that play defense on that level don't get there by being lazy or heartless. There could be tons of reasons a guy is slow to get back from injury, none of which have to do with him "bailing on his team".

Addendum: pre-injury, Leonard was a consensus top 3-5 NBA player, and I think MOST had him ahead of Durant as the "runner up" to Lebron. Hands down the best defensive player in the NBA, and a 25ppg scorer. Those don't grow on trees...

Well said. If there is a breakdown between the Spurs and Leonard, I’m not going to assign blame. My sympathies are usually with a player, though.

Tatum shows great two way potential, but Leonard has demonstrated great two way play.

Lots of attention has shifted to the Warriors, deservedly so. But people forgot that having someone who can defend LeBron is still a key to any Championship hopes.

Wahoo2000
06-18-2018, 09:03 PM
If KenPom doesn’t give it much likelihood, is it really statistically possible? 😀

Ask UMBC...... :mad::mad::mad:

jimsumner
06-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Depends on what you’re goal is. I think the Celtics want to win right now. I think their goal is to do whatever they can to make their team better in the present. If the question is, who will help them win a title this coming year, I think the Freak will win that argument. If they question is who is more valuable over the course of the rest of their career, then it becomes more complicated. There are countless times when teams have stockpiled talent and are said to be the next big thing. And it doesn’t turn out like everyone has envisioned. There are a few teams who were supposed to take the reigns from the Cavs in the eastern conference and that hasn’t happened either.

I think most of us can agree that Tatum is nearly untouchable. But I wouldn’t say he’s 100 % untouchable yet.

I did not make my point adequately. It's neither fair nor accurate, IMO, to compare Tatum at 19 with Antetokounmpo at 19 for the reasons stated.

MCFinARL
06-18-2018, 11:54 PM

Addendum: pre-injury, Leonard was a consensus top 3-5 NBA player, and I think MOST had him ahead of Durant as the "runner up" to Lebron. Hands down the best defensive player in the NBA, and a 25ppg scorer. Those don't grow on trees...

Even if one gives Leonard the benefit of the doubt, though, the length of his injury absence has to raise a question about whether he will be as good in the future as in the past, and if a team is thinking long term rather than win now (obviously a strategic difference that affects choices here), the age difference is pretty significant.

Interestingly, an SI article today (https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/18/nba-draft-2018-trade-ideas-kawhi-leonard-kyrie-irving-spurs-celtics) proposes a mega-trade in which the Celtics give up Kyrie, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris, Aron Baynes and a first round pick next year for Leonard, Derrick White, and Pau Gasol (with Gasol included, from the Spurs' perspective, primarily for cost reasons). I'm not sure that is a trade I would do on those terms if I am the Celtics, but the resulting lineup with Leonard, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford is intriguing (again, assuming Hayward can come back from his injury).

JNort
06-19-2018, 01:24 AM

For sure:
LeBron
Durant
Kawhi
Davis
Giannis
Steph
Harden
Simmons
PG13
Embid
Porzingis

On the fence about:
Lillard
Wall
Ingram

JNort
06-19-2018, 01:34 AM
Bill Simmons used to rank the top 50 guys based on age, contract, salary, etc. The goal was to settle whether you'd rather have Lebron at 33 for $36 million for 1 year or Tatum at 19 and $7 million for 4 more years on a rookie contract. It was always a fun article...not sure if he does that anymore.

I think a good argument would be Ben Simmons vs Jayson Tatum. Similar production and similar contracts. Who would you rather have?

One is maybe the next in the line of Magic/Lebron and the other is a Duran/Pierce type player. Tough choice.
Gah! I love Tatum but I don't think twice about it and take Simmons.

dukelifer
06-19-2018, 06:56 AM
Gah! I love Tatum but I don't think twice about it and take Simmons.

Until Simmons learns to shoot- I stick with Tatum. But if Simmons does not become a better shooter next year then he does not have the work ethic to be great. We shall see.

OldPhiKap
06-19-2018, 07:53 AM
Ditka.

luvdahops
06-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Ditka.

Yup. If they played 1 on 1, I'd project Ditka 437, Tatum 2.

flyingdutchdevil
06-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Yup. If they played 1 on 1, I'd project Ditka 437, Tatum 2.

What if it was a mini-Ditka?

DukieInBrasil
06-19-2018, 10:30 AM

what if it was a team of mini-Ditkas vs Tatum, Durant, Kawhi, Steph Curry, Kyrie and LeBron (7 players, y'know, gotta have a bench)?
Can mini-Ditka dunk?

luvdahops
06-19-2018, 11:18 AM
what if it was a team of mini-Ditkas vs Tatum, Durant, Kawhi, Steph Curry, Kyrie and LeBron (7 players, y'know, gotta have a bench)?
Can mini-Ditka dunk?

A little closer - team of mini-Ditkas 411, NBA All-Stars 7

And mini-Ditka can absolutely dunk. In fact, they need to have specially reinforced backboards whenever he plays. Otherwise, it's shatter city, even with detatchable rims.

moonpie23
06-19-2018, 01:41 PM

this post may be the greatest post in the history of posts......

brevity
06-19-2018, 03:44 PM
Who would you trade straight up for Tatum?

"Gosh, who wouldn't I trade Tatum for? Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds... heck, Jonah Hill, maybe a bag of chips..."
-- Jenna Dewan

I would only be interested in seeing Mini-Ditka play against Li'l Penny (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/magic/2018/05/15/lil-penny-hardaway-doll-orlando-magic-nba-draft-lottery/611611002/).

HK Dukie
06-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Tatum is on a rookie contract. He is an all-star caliber player (based on playoff performance) already getting paid 1/4th what other all-stars are getting. He has a chance to be all-nba. And you get to spend that savings on another good/great player and you have rights on him when his contract ends as well thus extending your options and value.

There are only 5 players in the world I trade Tatum for...

LeBron
Durant
Curry
Harden
Antetokounmpo

These are the 5 unique players in the NBA that are franchise altering. There are more players that are more even trades but these are the only 5 I don't feel terrible about trading Tatum for. One day I think Tatum is in or close to this list. It helps he is being trained by skills coach Drew Hanlen, who you should pray your favorite player is being trained by.

mr. synellinden
06-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Tatum is on a rookie contract. He is an all-star caliber player (based on playoff performance) already getting paid 1/4th what other all-stars are getting. He has a chance to be all-nba. And you get to spend that savings on another good/great player and you have rights on him when his contract ends as well thus extending your options and value.

There are only 5 players in the world I trade Tatum for...

LeBron
Durant
Curry
Harden
Antetokounmpo

These are the 5 unique players in the NBA that are franchise altering. There are more players that are more even trades but these are the only 5 I don't feel terrible about trading Tatum for. One day I think Tatum is in or close to this list. It helps he is being trained by skills coach Drew Hanlen, who you should pray your favorite player is being trained by.

I really think you have to add Anthony Davis to that list. And maybe Embiid. And maybe Kawhi - subject to a physical.

subzero02
06-20-2018, 12:59 AM
I really think you have to add Anthony Davis to that list. And maybe Embiid. And maybe Kawhi - subject to a physical.

I was going to post a reply that included Anthony Davis. I think cousins, embiid, KAT and kawhi have to be included too but to a lesser extent.
Since we are looking at this hypothetical situation from Boston's perspective, I think Stevens would salivate over the prospect of having a player like Davis guarding the rim. They can replace Tatum with Hayward and as great as tatum was last year, Hayward could easily end up being an upgrade, at least in the short term.

elvis14
06-20-2018, 05:07 PM
For sure:
LeBron
Durant
Kawhi
Davis
Giannis
Steph
Harden
Simmons
PG13
Embiid
Porzingis

On the fence about:
Lillard
Wall
Ingram

Thank You! This is the first sensible post I've seen yet. Love JT and think he's going to be great but here are lots of guys who ARE great and young enough. Add Draymond Green to the top list and, KAT, Gobert, Klay Thompson, Donnovan Mitchell to the bottom list.

53n206
06-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Thank You! This is the first sensible post I've seen yet. Love JT and think he's going to be great but here are lots of guys who ARE great and young enough. Add Draymond Green to the top list and, KAT, Gobert, Klay Thompson, Donnovan Mitchell to the bottom list.

No Westbrook?

JNort
06-20-2018, 06:50 PM

I wouldn't add Draymond to either only because I don't think he's a top 2 option on a championship team... at least not unless they have a super talented 3-6. Gobert I just wouldn't consider at all. You're correct with KAT, Klay and Donnovan but I didn't put them only because I value JTs position and versatility enough not to wanna trade for those outright, but I would consider it.

JNort
06-20-2018, 06:51 PM
No Westbrook?

Westbrook is just tough to build around but yes he should be on my second part.

elvis14
06-20-2018, 09:13 PM
Westbrook is just tough to build around but yes he should be on my second part.

I meant to check my list for him and just forgot. I'd put him on my first list though (at the bottom and really only because of age).

UrinalCake
06-21-2018, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't add Draymond to either only because I don't think he's a top 2 option on a championship team.... You're correct with KAT, Klay and Donnovan but I didn't put them only because I value JTs position and versatility enough not to wanna trade for those outright, but I would consider it.

Trading for Draymond or Klay would give you the benefit of weakening the Warriors, which is like a double win. And while Tatum would help them to some extent (especially in terms of getting younger and less expensive, allowing them to possibly give Durant a full max deal), I think it would be worth it to break up their core. I’d definitely trade for Klay for that reason. His contract would be an issue, he has hinted that he’s willing to take a discount to stay with the Warriors, but for any other team he’s a max player. Green I guess you could argue that they could find another guy to fill his role so maybe not.

elvis14
06-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Trading for Draymond or Klay would give you the benefit of weakening the Warriors, which is like a double win. And while Tatum would help them to some extent (especially in terms of getting younger and less expensive, allowing them to possibly give Durant a full max deal), I think it would be worth it to break up their core. I’d definitely trade for Klay for that reason. His contract would be an issue, he has hinted that he’s willing to take a discount to stay with the Warriors, but for any other team he’s a max player. Green I guess you could argue that they could find another guy to fill his role so maybe not.

So sad to see the hate towards the GSW. They sucked for decades, decades. Outside of the Steph Curry era, I can't even remember the last time they were good (Run DMC?). So, I'm OK with them having their time in the sun because they play such a great style and have Kerr at the helm. As for Green, you could argue that they could find another guy to fill his role but it would be a losing argument. Green's antics hide to some degree how good he is at basketball (on both ends of the court).

Tatum is fantastic and very young and has such a bright future in the league. It's going to be fun to watch him grow....especially after he played so well in the playoffs. I hope the Celtics get healthy and keep their core team together because I want to see that playoff team with Kyrie and Gordon.

JNort
06-21-2018, 03:26 PM
So sad to see the hate towards the GSW. They sucked for decades, decades. Outside of the Steph Curry era, I can't even remember the last time they were good (Run DMC?). So, I'm OK with them having their time in the sun because they play such a great style and have Kerr at the helm. As for Green, you could argue that they could find another guy to fill his role but it would be a losing argument. Green's antics hide to some degree how good he is at basketball (on both ends of the court).

Tatum is fantastic and very young and has such a bright future in the league. It's going to be fun to watch him grow...especially after he played so well in the playoffs. I hope the Celtics get healthy and keep their core team together because I want to see that playoff team with Kyrie and Gordon.

They were the darlings of the NBA and people would still love them if it wasn't for Durant. Many NBA fans are just upset at the imbalance of the NBA now where it's 1 team that can win as opposed to 4 or 5 like it would be if Durant stayed with OKC.

ice-9
06-22-2018, 12:11 AM

Tatum is fantastic and very young and has such a bright future in the league. It's going to be fun to watch him grow...especially after he played so well in the playoffs. I hope the Celtics get healthy and keep their core team together because I want to see that playoff team with Kyrie and Gordon.

I was in grad school at Stanford that year the Warriors beat the Mavs as an 8 seed in the playoffs. That was awesome. Arena rocked.

luvdahops
06-22-2018, 11:00 AM
They were the darlings of the NBA and people would still love them if it wasn't for Durant. Many NBA fans are just upset at the imbalance of the NBA now where it's 1 team that can win as opposed to 4 or 5 like it would be if Durant stayed with OKC.

I agree with this. Durant signing with them changed things dramatically in terms of how the broader NBA fan base views both GSW and KD (I still respect him, but think it was a complete wuss move on his part). Draymond's antics and Steph growing a bit more outwardly cocky have added a bit of fuel to the dislike, as did Zaza's hatchet job on Kawhi last year. But the KD signing was the real watershed.

elvis14
06-22-2018, 11:15 AM
I agree with this. Durant signing with them changed things dramatically in terms of how the broader NBA fan base views both GSW and KD (I still respect him, but think it was a complete wuss move on his part). Draymond's antics and Steph growing a bit more outwardly cocky have added a bit of fuel to the dislike, as did Zaza's hatchet job on Kawhi last year. But the KD signing was the real watershed.

I can agree with the KD backlash. It's real. Didn't effect me but I get it.