PDA

View Full Version : Bagley signs an endorsement deal with Puma

DangerDevil
06-15-2018, 12:20 AM
Puma is jumping back into the basketball sneaker war and plans to prominently feature Marvin in their campaign.

“As part of a plan to aggressively relaunch its basketball footwear business, Bagley was expected to be a featured athlete in several upcoming category and brand global initiatives.”

The move is surprising based on Bagley’s previous association with Nike.

“For Bagley, the deal comes as a bit of a surprise in industry circles because of his close association with Nike throughout his high school and collegiate career. Nike funded his father's AAU summer basketball team throughout the younger Bagley's prep career. The team was originally dubbed the "PHX Phamily," and later renamed to simply "NIKE Phamily."

Bagley was a fixture playing against proven pros at the Nike-sponsored Drew League last summer in Los Angeles, before going on to star at Nike-sponsored Duke during his lone college season, where he averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds.

As part of his new endorsement deal with Puma, the brand will also commit to a grassroots infrastructure with the Bagley family that will focus on skill development for a future generation of AAU players.”

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23795930/marvin-bagley-iii-signs-endorsement-deal-footwear-apparel-endorsement-deal-puma

subzero02
06-15-2018, 01:40 AM
Regardless of his draft position, Bagley's primary source of income for his first several years in the NBA will be from his Puma endorsement.

According to The Athletic, Bagley's five-year contract will be the richest rookie shoe deal since the one that Kevin Durant signed with Nike back in 2007. That went for seven years and $60 million (Durant was offered $70 million from Adidas, but turned it down), so we can expect the numbers on Bagley's deal to be similar.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-draft-prospect-marvin-bagley-will-reportedly-sign-massive-shoe-deal-with-puma/amp/

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

HereBeforeCoachK
06-15-2018, 04:37 AM
The money in shoes has always flabbergasted me....I just can't fathom that there is this kind of money available for endorsements. And yet, there clearly and obviously is.

So what do those top of the line shoes go for now? 150? 200? (not counting Big Baller's 499 dollar debacle). How much of that 150 is pro rata endorsement money I wonder.

But anyway, good for Marvin cashing in on it. Obviously Puma wants to build their brand on him.

flyingdutchdevil
06-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Puma is a great soccer company. They have fabulous streetwear. With adidas in the toilet image-wise, I'm happy Puma is making a hard push for basketball.

UrinalCake
06-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Interesting business move, and notable that Puma chose Bagley to throw all that money at in an attempt to jump start their brand. I’m sure he’ll take some criticism for ditching Nike, but he doesn’t owe them anything. I agree with HereBefore that the insane amounts of money given to athletes by shoe companies has to come from somewhere, which is why I don’t buy Nike or Adidas shoes. I figure why pay $120 for a pair of shoes so $60 can go to some millionaire athlete (which is a number I just totally made up in my head).

flyingdutchdevil
06-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Interesting business move, and notable that Puma chose Bagley to throw all that money at in an attempt to jump start their brand. I’m sure he’ll take some criticism for ditching Nike, but he doesn’t owe them anything. I agree with HereBefore that the insane amounts of money given to athletes by shoe companies has to come from somewhere, which is why I don’t buy Nike or Adidas shoes. I figure why pay $120 for a pair of shoes so $60 can go to some millionaire athlete (which is a number I just totally made up in my head).

So you'd rather give money to Steph Curry or Stephon Marbury? ;)

budwom
06-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Marvin disrespects Nike! (I'm kidding and truly don't care).

camion
06-15-2018, 08:29 AM
Just out of curiosity, do any NBA players have a New Balance deal? I'm a proud wearer of their double-wide shoes. :)

ncexnyc
06-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Well considering where the majority of shoes are manufactured and the insanely low cost it takes to manufacture them it's easy to see why players can get these sick endorsement deals. I wonder if these supposedly socially conscience players care about the people who manufacture these shoes.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Hopefully whatever shoe they custom make for Marvin will allow him to avoid the Duke foot/ankle injury curse.

The shoe industry is dramatically different from what it was like 25 years ago, but this reminds me a bit of when Fila hired Grant Hill to try to increase its presence in basketball. But hopefully this will go better.

Duke79UNLV77
06-15-2018, 09:18 AM
I am guessing that if Bagley had not been forced to go to college for a year, he could have signed a shoe contract a year earlier, but his first contract, before ever playing an NBA game, would have been for significantly less money. That is not to say whether the one-and-done rule should stay, go, or be modified, but we're still talking about first world problems, even for the very small subset of players who would be ready to excel in the NBA immediately out of high school.

Indoor66
06-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, do any NBA players have a New Balance deal? I'm a proud wearer of their double-wide shoes. :)

I'm with you. I only buy New Balance.

Channing
06-15-2018, 09:40 AM
I am guessing that if Bagley had not been forced to go to college for a year, he could have signed a shoe contract a year earlier, but his first contract, before ever playing an NBA game, would have been for significantly less money. That is not to say whether the one-and-done rule should stay, go, or be modified, but we're still talking about first world problems, even for the very small subset of players who would be ready to excel in the NBA immediately out of high school.

I would imagine having his face plastered all over ESPN for 6 months and being a dominant force from day 1 didn't hurt his visibility and is one reason he is getting the endorsement deal. I could be totally off, but I doubt Doncic gets the same offer.

Reilly
06-15-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm going to rotate wearing my Bagley Pumas with my Grant Hill Filas (https://solecollector.com/sd/00371/fila/fila-grant-hill).

How much did Shane get from the Chinese company -- wasn't that for shoes?

mattman91
06-15-2018, 10:38 AM
I'm with you. I only buy New Balance.

I'm an Adidas guy. Still waiting on an endorsement offer.

fuse
06-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Puma is a great soccer company. They have fabulous streetwear. With adidas in the toilet image-wise, I'm happy Puma is making a hard push for basketball.

No love for adidas?

One of many shoe brands I like- New Balance and Brooks among them.

Bought a fresh pair of Pumas about 6 years ago.
Great memories of wearing them as a kid, unfortunately the thick soles were really hard and uncomfortable.

Haven’t looked back since my first pair of Adidas boost. They are incredibly comfortable.

CameronBornAndBred
06-15-2018, 10:57 AM
No love for adidas?

Bought a fresh pair of Pumas about 6 years ago.
Great memories of wearing them as a kid, unfortunately the thick soles were really hard and uncomfortable.

Haven’t looked back since my first pair of Adidas boost. They are incredibly comfortable.

Nobody ever scored a hit with the song "My Pumas".

devildeac
06-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Nobody ever scored a hit with the song "My Pumas".

Yea, but nobody ever made a shoe with this name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1T71PGd-J0

;)

Reddevil
06-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Today's money astounds me. Can PUMA even sell $70 million in shoes? Can anyone? These numbers are like looking at the night sky to me. Anyway, as a proud wearer of the blue suede Puma's of the early 80's, I think it is a pretty cool brand.
These days, like many of us I wear NB and I find that Asics is the new Puma for me. More power to ya Marvin. Go get it!

duke79
06-15-2018, 11:17 AM
The money in shoes has always flabbergasted me...I just can't fathom that there is this kind of money available for endorsements. And yet, there clearly and obviously is.

So what do those top of the line shoes go for now? 150? 200? (not counting Big Baller's 499 dollar debacle). How much of that 150 is pro rata endorsement money I wonder.

But anyway, good for Marvin cashing in on it. Obviously Puma wants to build their brand on him.

Yea, these endorsement deals for certain athletes with Nike, Addidas, etc always amaze me. I believe Roger Federer is being paid $20 million per year by Nike (although there are recent news reports that he is switching to a Japanese company, Uniglow, with a new endorsement deal that is paying him $30 million per year - for 10 years!). I'm sure Nike made a ton of money off of the AirJordan sneakers (even after paying Michael HUGE amounts of money) but do the endorsement deals with the other, "lesser" athletes really result in enough increased sales and profits to pay for the endorsement deals?

I try NOT to buy any Nike or Addidas products too and I also like NB. They actually manufacture some of their shoes and other products in the USA!

Well considering where the majority of shoes are manufactured and the insanely low cost it takes to manufacture them it's easy to see why players can get these sick endorsement deals. I wonder if these supposedly socially conscience players care about the people who manufacture these shoes.

I assume you're joking here? But it certainly bothers me to buy all the cheap clothes and shoes made in countries with terrible labor standards. But it's getting harder and harder to find any clothes or shoes made in the US and those that are made here tend to be VERY expensive.

NSDukeFan
06-15-2018, 12:19 PM
With all the tariffs being put up, won’t you soon have to buy made in the USA shoes? And everything else?

nmduke2001
06-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Hopefully whatever shoe they custom make for Marvin will allow him to avoid the Duke foot/ankle injury curse.

The shoe industry is dramatically different from what it was like 25 years ago, but this reminds me a bit of when Fila hired Grant Hill to try to increase its presence in basketball. But hopefully this will go better.

I believe that those Filas caused all of Grant’s injury issues.

Acymetric
06-15-2018, 01:17 PM
I believe that those Filas caused all of Grant’s injury issues.

I believe it was Orlando's inept medical staff, but who knows?

Matches
06-15-2018, 03:03 PM

I'm a Brooks guy all the way; won't wear anything but.

The Nikes, Adidas, etc big brands are being marketed more and more towards collectors. They're inferior shoes but they gain collector value from celebrity endorsements. My nephew was big into collecting them for awhile - he'd get a new pair for $200 or whatever for Christmas, wear them long enough to show them off, then change into something else to play basketball.

MarkD83
06-15-2018, 03:24 PM
I wonder how much money Chuck Taylor made?

BD80
06-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Just bought a few Puma hats to wear on outdoor courts. It will be interesting to see if Puma can break back into the top of the industry.

UrinalCake
06-15-2018, 08:47 PM
No love for adidas?

When FDD referred to Adidas’s image being in the toilet, I assume he was referring to the FBI scandals alleging their dirty activity of playing players and, to a lesser extent, paying coaches. But even before all that came out, word on the street around the AAU circuit was that Under Armour has surpassed them as the #2 brand behind Nike, at least in terms of popularity among kids.

Reilly
06-15-2018, 10:49 PM
I wonder how much money Chuck Taylor made?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_(salesman) (used that expense account ...)

sagegrouse
06-15-2018, 11:00 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_(salesman) (used that expense account ...)

As Reilly notes:

Taylor received a salary from Converse, but received no commission for any of the 600 million pairs of Chuck Taylor shoes that have been sold. For years, he drove a white Volkswagen bug across the United States with a trunk full of shoes, living in motels, and with only a locker in the company's Chicago warehouse as a permanent residence.[4] Author Abraham Aamidor, however, points out that Taylor was not sparing in use of the Converse expense account.

subzero02
06-15-2018, 11:33 PM
I believe it was Orlando's inept medical staff, but who knows?

Don't leave out the Detroit medical staff.

I came across this article and it makes sense. I'm glad that Grant didn't develop an addiction to opioids because he could've easily.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gq.com/story/grant-hill-pain-management-interview/amp

CameronBornAndBred
06-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Deandre Ayton has also signed with Puma.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-18-2018, 01:42 PM

Wow. Puma going for the home run.

SavDukeGrad
06-18-2018, 01:58 PM

And it was announced yesterday that Zhaire Smith signed with Puma as well.

Billy Dat
06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Just saw a tweet declaring that HOVA is the President of Basketball Ops
https://www.complex.com/sneakers/2018/06/puma-relaunches-basketball-division-announce-signings-jay-z-president-of-basketball-operations?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

freshmanjs
06-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Jeff Goodman throwing some shade...

Jeff Goodman‏
Verified account
@GoodmanHoops

Ayton has the personality, talent and game to sell shoes. I don’t think that’ll be the case for Bagley.

flyingdutchdevil
06-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Jeff Goodman throwing some shade...

Is Bagley missing the personality, the talent, or the game?

Billy Dat
06-18-2018, 05:28 PM
I am psyched that they inked Walt Frazier to a lifetime contract
https://sneakernews.com/2018/06/18/puma-basketball-walt-clyde-frazier-lifetime-contract/

MartyClark
06-18-2018, 05:32 PM

He's not missing any of these, in my opinion. I can't compare his personality to Ayton, Marvin may not have a colorful personality but he sure seems likeable. He may also become more outgoing with time, he's only 19 years old.

Go Marvin - makes some money, have some fun, develop your game.

DangerDevil
06-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Nationality, Puma locking up the Bahamian/Caribbean sneaker market adding Ayton to Usain Bolt and Rihanna as Puma Ambassadors.

Unfortunately for Puma there are only 400,000 or so Bahamian citizens.

If they corner the Caribbean there are roughly 40 million people but I’m not sure how popular basketball is there.

https://www.diehards.com/arizona/deandre-ayton-signs-puma-deal-nba

CrazyNotCrazie
06-18-2018, 06:27 PM
And now it all makes sense - Jay-Z was named President of Puma basketball. I'm sure he will be devoting a vast majority of his waking hours to running a shoe company, much as he owned a huge percentage of the Brooklyn Nets.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23835510/jay-z-named-president-puma-basketball

OZZIE4DUKE
06-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Loved my Puma sneakers as a kid, much preferred over Adidas. Now, most all the shoes I wear, sneakers, work shoes and most recently my golf shoes, are Sketchers. Tremendously comfortable!

Good for Clyde Frazier, one of my all time favorite basketball players. Loved watching him as a kid, growing up in the NY area and rooting for the Knicks! I can still hear Marv Albert on the radio saying "yessssss!" Oh, wait, that was last week on TV... :cool:

UrinalCake
06-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Nice long interview with Bagley (and his dad) on CBS. He makes some similar points as what Carter said previously regarding him feeling like he can show and do more, but does so in a much more diplomatic way that doesn’t come off as being critical of Duke. Worth a read/listen.

Link (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/nba-draft-q-a-marvin-bagley-iii-on-his-huge-puma-deal-and-challenge-to-those-who-doubt-him-at-no-1/)

ncexnyc
06-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Loved my Puma sneakers as a kid, much preferred over Adidas. Now, most all the shoes I wear, sneakers, work shoes and most recently my golf shoes, are Sketchers. Tremendously comfortable!

Good for Clyde Frazier, one of my all time favorite basketball players. Loved watching him as a kid, growing up in the NY area and rooting for the Knicks! I can still hear Marv Albert on the radio saying "yessssss!" Oh, wait, that was last week on TV... :cool:

Wait a minute, as a kid rooting for Clyde and the Knicks you had Pumas? I thought the only thing we had back then were Pro-Keds and Converse.:D

Watching Marv during the Finals reminded just how old he is. As a teenager I remember he did both the Knicks games as well as the Ranger games with Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick. Since you're from the NY area, do you listen to Cousin Brucie on Sirius XM? He's another blast from the past and that once golden radio voice isn't so golden anymore, but the memories help sooth that issue.

4Gen
06-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Bagley was paid millions by Nike to play for Duke and then later to sign with Nike. Then, to avoid the heat, he signed with Puma. I know this is true because a thread on Inside Carolina explains it in great detail.

Indoor66
06-20-2018, 01:41 PM
I know this is true because a thread on Inside Carolina explains it in great detail.

Thank the Lord that I now know the real deal.😉

elvis14
06-20-2018, 05:08 PM
Bagley was paid millions by Nike to play for Duke and then later to sign with Nike. Then, to avoid the heat, he signed with Puma. I know this is true because a thread on Inside Carolina explains it in great detail.

LOL, you had me going for a minute there! Well played, next Biff will chime in and claim it's true.

4Gen
06-20-2018, 06:59 PM
It turns out that Bagley signing with Nike or not signing with Nike proves Nike paid him to play for Duke, a most unfortunate conundrum.

westwall
06-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Just bought a few Puma hats to wear on outdoor courts. It will be interesting to see if Puma can break back into the top of the industry.

Well, Nike has taken notice, and won't make it easy for Puma. On May 3, Nike sued Puma in Massachusetts federal court alleging that Puma infringes Nike patents on Nike’s Flyknit®, Air®, and cleat assembly in several of Puma’s footwear products.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Wait a minute, as a kid rooting for Clyde and the Knicks you had Pumas? I thought the only thing we had back then were Pro-Keds and Converse.:D

Watching Marv during the Finals reminded just how old he is. As a teenager I remember he did both the Knicks games as well as the Ranger games with Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick. Since you're from the NY area, do you listen to Cousin Brucie on Sirius XM? He's another blast from the past and that once golden radio voice isn't so golden anymore, but the memories help sooth that issue.
I met Cousin Brucie in 1966 as a 12 year old at Camp Swago, where he had gone as a kid and came back to visit yearly to promote himself. I called in to his XM show several years ago and asked him if he remembered me? He got a good laugh over that!

I still remember the first two lines of those Ranger teams: Jean Ratelle centering Vic Hatfield and Rod Gilbert, and Walt Tkaczuk centering Dave Balon and Billy Fairburn. Pete Stemkowski was the third line center and Brad Park our star defenseman. Eddie Giacomen was the goalie! Pardon the spelling errors.

ncexnyc
06-25-2018, 11:05 AM
I met Cousin Brucie in 1966 as a 12 year old at Camp Swago, where he had gone as a kid and came back to visit yearly to promote himself. I called in to his XM show several years ago and asked him if he remembered me? He got a good laugh over that!

I still remember the first two lines of those Ranger teams: Jean Ratelle centering Vic Hatfield and Rod Gilbert, and Walt Tkaczuk centering Dave Balon and Billy Fairburn. Pete Stemkowski was the third line center and Brad Park our star defenseman. Eddie Giacomen was the goalie! Pardon the spelling errors.

Those were some very good Ranger teams and they remind me of the Knick teams during the Pat Riley and Jeff Van Gundy era. Close, but no cigar. For the Knicks it seemed like it was always the Bulls and for the Rangers it was always the Bruins.

Blue in the Face
06-25-2018, 11:10 AM
Eddie Giacomen was the goalie!
Him wiping away tears as the Garden fans chanted his name when he returned with Detroit is one of my all-time favorite sports clips.

AZLA
06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Wow. Puma going for the home run.

They really pounced on that opportunity