PDA

View Full Version : Hail to the Chief! - An update on Cherokee Parks

JBDuke
06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
A nice article (poorly edited, though) on Cherokee's life after basketball and his own personal journey of discovery:

https://www.slamonline.com/nba/cherokee-parks-story/

willywoody
06-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Great read. Thanks for the link.

SoCalDukeFan
06-14-2018, 01:36 AM
that the NBA has this program.

Thanks

SoCal

freshmanjs
06-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Interesting article, thanks for posting! I hope he's ok. The article makes his current period sound a lot like a manic phase of bipolar 2. It refers to prior self diagnosis and self medication. Hopefully that's changed and he's getting treatment for whatever depression he deals with. Definitely rooting for him!

CrazyNotCrazie
06-14-2018, 10:02 AM
Interesting update on the Chief. I'm glad that he seems to have found happiness, at least for now. I really enjoyed watching him play at Duke - there was a great fluidity to his inside-outside game.

Perhaps I am old fashioned (though I am only a few years younger than Cherokee), but this story leaves me wondering about the three (or more kids) who are mentioned. While Cherokee has wandered the globe looking for meaning and purpose, I'm not sure how much of a father they have had. It is really none of my business but I hope they are OK.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Billy Dat
06-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Interesting article, thanks for posting! I hope he's ok. The article makes his current period sound a lot like a manic phase of bipolar 2

I got the same impression. Only time will tell.

Perhaps I am old fashioned (though I am only a few years younger than Cherokee), but this story leaves me wondering about the three (or more kids) who are mentioned. While Cherokee has wandered the globe looking for meaning and purpose, I'm not sure how much of a father they have had. It is really none of my business but I hope they are OK.

There is clearly a lot alluded to but unsaid in this article. "Partying" typically includes drugs and maybe his kids' mother didn't want him around in that case. Who knows.

When I took my sons to Duke Basketball Camp 2 years ago, Chief was one of the counselors and it looks like he's been attending K Academy. Despite all the attacks from the outside, this seems to be some proof that "The Brotherhood" is real. Reach out and the program (K) will reach back.

Owen Meany
06-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Cherokee has spent a good deal of time back at Duke, with the K Academy and helping out with the kid's basketball camps. He has also had his kids with him and even his nephew. I think Cherokee is a good guy and had a very under appreciated career because he unfortunately graduated during Coach K's hiatus year. I am glad to see him doing well.

ehdg
06-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Very nice article on Cherokee. Happy to hear he's doing well and enjoying what he's doing finally. He just had a lot of bad luck/timing with his Pro Career.

duke4ever19
06-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Interesting article, thanks for posting! I hope he's ok. The article makes his current period sound a lot like a manic phase of bipolar 2. It refers to prior self diagnosis and self medication. Hopefully that's changed and he's getting treatment for whatever depression he deals with. Definitely rooting for him!

As someone diagnosed with Bipolar 2, I would agree. Self-medication has been my biggest issue as well. The issue is that when you are in a manic phase (with feelings of euphoria) it’s hard not to see anything other than that as a good way to live. Energy is sky-high and creativity is at its most potent. That’s why so many of us chase that feeling.

Natty_B
06-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Great Cherokee moment in this clip - extending the lead late in the 1994 Semi vs Florida (it's around 40 seconds left in the game). Parks played really well that weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaNmsDXwFpY

mailman2927
06-14-2018, 01:32 PM
i had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with cherokee at this years k. academy. all i can say is that he is an awesome guy.

DukePA
06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
As someone diagnosed with Bipolar 2, I would agree. Self-medication has been my biggest issue as well. The issue is that when you are in a manic phase (with feelings of euphoria) it’s hard not to see anything other than that as a good way to live. Energy is sky-high and creativity is at its most potent. That’s why so many of us chase that feeling.

If we could bottle and control hypomania . . .

HereBeforeCoachK
06-14-2018, 03:48 PM
Great Cherokee moment in this clip - extending the lead late in the 1994 Semi vs Florida (it's around 40 seconds left in the game). Parks played really well that weekend.

It is WAAAAAY too soon to bring up that Final Four....Scottie Thurman, Tony Lang almost getting a finger on it....SWISH.

That game cost me millions, literally. I had tee shirts and mugs ready to go saying

NCAA CHAMPIONS:
1991 DUKE
1992 DUKE
1993 FLUKE
1994 DUKE

I'd still be selling those today...even my cousin, a yuuge fan of the cheats, admitted those would've been hot.

Billy Dat
06-14-2018, 04:53 PM
1991 duke
1992 duke
1993 fluke
1994 puke

devilirium
06-15-2018, 12:31 PM

You underscored one of the plays that I've thought about for several years. Cherokee had a rough senior season, but that run through the tourney in his junior year was fantastic. I remember seeing Parks getting that carom at a bar in Atlanta, and thinking finally we secured an offensive rebound, and then the layup which gave me a little more comfort. That moment gets lost but it was extremely pivotal, and one of those plays that gets lost bc it wasn't flashy or highlight reel.

About 2 minutes earlier, Capel also hit a huge 3 to put us up. I believe that Florida double-teamed Grant and he hit Capel on the wing and he just launched it. Great memory. A Florida fan next to me just sighed "Capel"--as if to say, we had everyone else covered, and that young guy came through, but how did we lose him?