PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball Camp

Duke79UNLV77
06-11-2018, 06:52 PM
I went as a kid for Coach K’s first summer and the summer before that. It was awesome! I’ve got a relative going soon whom I’ve fully indoctrinated.

Is it still great? Lots of K and former players? I have to think everyone’s schedules are busier, so it may be more difficult?

Thanks!

devilish
06-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Two summers ago, my son and a tar heel friend went to both Duke basketball camp and UNC camp. They both said UNC camp was better in that they had a lot more fun outside of basketball. Said that at Duke camp, there was not as much free-time as they were constantly having to listen to people give talks about various subjects. As a parent, it sounds like you would feel comfortable sending your kid to Duke as they are closely watched. I got the impression the folks in Chapel Hill would just have assumed the kids go party on Franklin Street.

summerwind03
06-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Yes, they keep the kids busy, busy at Duke basketball camp! There was a guest speaker every night, usually a former player. Coach K did speak to the campers a couple of times, and took photos with all the teams. But in general, there were not a ton of former players around. (Though last year, the first award given out to a player who took a charge went to Zeke Battier -- imagine that!)

Acymetric
06-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Yes, they keep the kids busy, busy at Duke basketball camp! There was a guest speaker every night, usually a former player. Coach K did speak to the campers a couple of times, and took photos with all the teams. But in general, there were not a ton of former players around. (Though last year, the first award given out to a player who took a charge went to Zeke Battier -- imagine that!)

Interesting, that is a large departure from the (admittedly distant) past. I met a ton of players at the Duke camps. This was late 90s and early 2000s, Coach K was there several days (if not every day). I think some current players may even have been involved. Nate James, Matt Christiensen, Wojo, Chris Carrawell, Grant Hill, for sure. I think Ricky Price, and some others that I'm forgetting.

Matt Christiensen hit something like 15 or 20 free throws straight. Blindfolded.

Duke79UNLV77
06-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Two summers ago, my son and a tar heel friend went to both Duke basketball camp and UNC camp. They both said UNC camp was better in that they had a lot more fun outside of basketball. Said that at Duke camp, there was not as much free-time as they were constantly having to listen to people give talks about various subjects. As a parent, it sounds like you would feel comfortable sending your kid to Duke as they are closely watched. I got the impression the folks in Chapel Hill would just have assumed the kids go party on Franklin Street.

So, at Duke, it was like they had to go to class, whereas at unc they could do whatever they wanted when not playing basketball? Seems appropriate.

BLPOG
06-14-2018, 10:03 AM
Interesting, that is a large departure from the (admittedly distant) past. I met a ton of players at the Duke camps. This was late 90s and early 2000s, Coach K was there several days (if not every day). I think some current players may even have been involved. Nate James, Matt Christiensen, Wojo, Chris Carrawell, Grant Hill, for sure. I think Ricky Price, and some others that I'm forgetting.

Matt Christiensen hit something like 15 or 20 free throws straight. Blindfolded.

I didn't go to the camp, but I was in Durham while my older brother went (around '99, can't remember the precise year). I got to see some of the campers' activities and there was definitely heavy involvement among former players and Coach K. I don't remember if any active players were involved, but I do remember seeing those guys around campus.

Duke79UNLV77
06-27-2018, 12:22 PM
As a update, camp was a great experience! Coach K’s talks were excellent. Reddish, Jones, Goldwire, and O’Connell all participated. All were nice, and O’Connell in particular earned his way to be my favorite on this year’s team!

Duke79UNLV77
06-25-2019, 12:09 PM
My nephew is finishing his second year of Coach K camp today, and it again is a hit! O'Connell and Goldwire deserve recognition for working the camp for a second straight year and being great interacting with the kids. K and all of the assistants played big roles again, Tre Jones was there, and Grayson Allen gave a speech. My nephew played games against 2 of K's grandsons and Danny Ferry's son!

DukeandMdFan
06-29-2019, 07:01 AM
I went to the camp in 1983 and my sons went in 2012 and 2013. They talked with Rodney Hood a little bit and now enjoy watching him in the NBA.

In 1983, nobody was lining up for Coach K's autograph or picture. When Coach K addressed the camp on the last day, he told the campers to be sure to thank your parents, grandparents and whoever sacrificed to enabled you to go to camp. That message has stuck with me and I used it when I was coaching youth sports.

My only complaint about the camp is that they use the outdoor courts near Cameron for some of the games and stations.