PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie--Here We Go Again with the Flat Earth

Willy2351
06-10-2018, 10:40 PM
Incredible player and generally an excellent representative of Duke, but his persistence with the flat earth stuff is hard to understand. This is the lead article in the boston.com sports section. Does anyone get it?

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/06/09/kyrie-irving-doesnt-know-if-the-earth-is-round-or-flat-he-does-want-to-discuss-it

UrinalCake
06-11-2018, 05:48 AM
He has previously explained his flat earth comments as a “social experiment” to understand the reaction that people have towards the opinions of celebrities. Basically he is just trolling everyone. These recent comments look like more of the same to me. He never gives a direct answer to whether he actually believes the earth is flat, he just responds with more questions. Rather convenient way to get his name in the news when he has a movie coming out in a couple weeks.

ice-9
06-11-2018, 06:15 AM
His point is not to blindly accept conventional wisdom.

I’ve read other quotes from him hinting he doesn’t really believe the earth is flat.

I do think he’s trying too hard to be intellectually provocative.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 06:44 AM

I’ve read other quotes from him hinting he doesn’t really believe the earth is flat.

I do think he’s trying too hard to be intellectually provocative.

This ^^^ - on the one hand, it's nice to see a more well rounded side of these athletes....on the other, this is trying too hard.

Duke76
06-11-2018, 08:14 AM
Incredible player and generally an excellent representative of Duke, but his persistence with the flat earth stuff is hard to understand. This is the lead article in the boston.com sports section. Does anyone get it?

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/06/09/kyrie-irving-doesnt-know-if-the-earth-is-round-or-flat-he-does-want-to-discuss-it

No and i just wasted 5 minutes of my life I can't get back and by now you have too. what drivel

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 08:19 AM

There are many many other ways to do this more effectively. This just makes him sound ignorant. Fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Our society it anti-science enough as it is.

flyingdutchdevil
06-11-2018, 08:21 AM
There are many many other ways to do this more effectively. This just makes him sound ignorant. Fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Our society it anti-science enough as it is.

Bingo. I love Kyrie and kinda love that he's weird in a benign kinda way. But this is just idiotic.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Bingo. I love Kyrie and kinda love that he's weird in a benign kinda way. But this is just idiotic.

There are other, better ways to encourage critical thinking.

In otger news, isn't his movie about to come out? What a coincidence he brought this back up. Right?

sagegrouse
06-11-2018, 08:30 AM

A smart guy with an interesting schtick about the "earth is flat." He wants people to think for themselves. Let me repeat: "Kyrie is trying to get people to look at the evidence of a flat vs. round earth and make up their own minds." Anyone else thinking he is also preparing the way for the film that follows Uncle Drew? Uncle Drew gets shot off in a rocket to see the world is round. I believe there is room in this project for Richard Branson and Elon Musk. Ya' think maybe MJ would be on board to demonstrate the "ceiling is the roof?"

Let it loose, guys.

moonpie23
06-11-2018, 08:59 AM
he could just ask the Red-Bull guy (the NON PAID CONSPIRATOR FROM NASA)..

.the maddening thing about this entire subject is, the actual "conspiracy" reasons for NOT revealing that the earth is flat just, well, fall flat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-w2_nTnunc

Wander
06-11-2018, 10:26 AM
A smart guy with an interesting schtick about the "earth is flat."

At this point, I'm pretty sure we can just stop prefacing all our comments about Kyrie with "he's smart, but..."

Indoor66
06-11-2018, 10:57 AM
At this point, I'm pretty sure we can just stop prefacing all our comments about Kyrie with "he's smart, but..."

Why? Maybe he is a world class troll.😂

Jeffrey
06-11-2018, 10:58 AM
A smart guy with an interesting schtick about the "earth is flat." He wants people to think for themselves.

Ya' think maybe MJ would be on board to demonstrate the "ceiling is the roof?"

In the Dean Dome, isn't the ceiling the roof?

IMO, if Kyrie and MJ want "people to think for themselves", then MJ wins by creating a discussion worthy of debate.

Reddevil
06-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Imagine being wealthy and pretty well known. You could put things out there just to watch people twist in the wind and smile to yourself. He is messing with people because he can. I choose to laugh with him. Keep stirring the pot Uncle Drew!

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 11:20 AM
Imagine being wealthy and pretty well known. You could put things out there just to watch people twist in the wind and smile to yourself. He is messing with people because he can. I choose to laugh with him. Keep stirring the pot Uncle Drew!

I think that's possible. I don't think that's what is going on. And I know it's not a given.

sagegrouse
06-11-2018, 11:29 AM

I will double down on my previous position. There is a movie under consideration with the working title, Uncle Drew and the Flat Earth. Kyrie is supposed to have both written and directed the Uncle Drew commercials for Pepsi. Apparently he is the writer and director of the Uncle Drew movie. How could this "flat earth thing" be anything but advanced warning of the next Uncle Drew movie, where he and his buds go to space?

JNort
06-11-2018, 11:32 AM
I think that's possible. I don't think that's what is going on. And I know it's not a given.

I don't think it's possible at all and I'm very upset about this. Some may think it's just funny or a joke but he is influencing younger kids with his words. Their are quite a number of people now who believe the earth is flat, NASA is a big hoax machine and that gravity doesn't exist. It is undermining to the foundations of science literacy in a time when it is of up most importance.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 11:46 AM
I don't think it's possible at all and I'm very upset about this. Some may think it's just funny or a joke but he is influencing younger kids with his words. Their are quite a number of people now who believe the earth is flat, NASA is a big hoax machine and that gravity doesn't exist. It is undermining to the foundations of science literacy in a time when it is of up most importance.

I tend to agree with you, but I was trying to be polite. I think at a minimum, the fact that on a forum where I would assume the posters are above average in intelligence and overwhelmingly pre-disposed to give a Duke or ex Duke player the benefit of the doubt - that it was a prank gone awry.

Troublemaker
06-11-2018, 11:53 AM

As others have mentioned, a bit of maintaining his "woke" persona, a bit of attention-seeking, and a bit of trolling / amusing himself when people overreact to him, especially if earnestly.

I will double down on my previous position. There is a movie under consideration with the working title, Uncle Drew and the Flat Earth. Kyrie is supposed to have both written and directed the Uncle Drew commercials for Pepsi. Apparently he is the writer and director of the Uncle Drew movie. How could this "flat earth thing" be anything but advanced warning of the next Uncle Drew movie, where he and his buds go to space?

In Space Jam, the Monstars came to Earth to play, right? Maybe Uncle Drew's Crew will play a road game this time.

DukeTrinity11
06-11-2018, 12:13 PM
If kids are listening to what athletes and celebrities are saying about science rather than their own teachers, then we're in more trouble than we can possibly imagine.

Wander
06-11-2018, 12:27 PM

The interview very bluntly addresses this point with Kyrie. His answer is painful to read. People here are twisting themselves into knots trying to interpret his comments in the best possible light because the guy played a few games for Duke. Which there's no reason for: we've got plenty of basketball alums who aren't idiots to be proud of.

PackMan97
06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
If kids are listening to what athletes and celebrities are saying about science rather than their own teachers, then we're in more trouble than we can possibly imagine.

To be honest, I think what is more important now than ever before is that kids (and people) THINK. That's what Kyrie is asking folks to do.

Think about human anatomy and medical science, what if Kyrie has said, "There is an organ doctors have not yet found in the human body, and it is the biggest organ we have". Would you call him crazy? Most folks would think all of our organs have found, but there are some folks that are challenging that.

https://www.popsci.com/interstitium-new-human-organ-anatomy

But in a report out last week in the journal Scientific Reports, doctors identified what they think could be a previously unrecognized organ. The structure is a network of tissues which is found throughout the body, wrapping around the entire digestive tract,the lungs, and every artery and vein. The medical researchers dubbed the network the interstitium, and they argue should be deemed its own organ. Whether it will make the cut as a stand alone organ will depend on future research that further studies its composition and functionality. (Adding a new organ to the books takes far more research than one study.)

By challenging the widely accepted beliefs about human anatomy, some doctors are pushing knowledge forward.

How about Elon Musk and SpaceX trying to reuse rockets? 15 years ago if you said we'll regularly be landing rockets tail first, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean and reusing them, people would have called you insane. 10 years ago they'd say you should burn your cash instead, at least then you'd stay warm. 5 years ago they'd tell you it would never work. 2 years ago they made the first landing on a drone ship in the ocean and have 13 more since then.

I'm not sure Kyrie is picking the best example, but he's absolutely right that you should challenge accepted knowledge. That you should challenge the way we are doing things, why we are doing them and how we are doing them. That's what moves the world forward. We need more disruptive thinkers, not less.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 12:33 PM
The interview very bluntly addresses this point with Kyrie. His answer is painful to read. People here are twisting themselves into knots trying to interpret his comments in the best possible light because the guy played a few games for Duke. Which there's no reason for: we've got plenty of basketball alums who aren't idiots to be proud of.

Heckuva ballplayer. Could have benefitted from a few more semesters at Duke.

It sounds like he fancies himself a philosopher.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Think about human anatomy and medical science, what if Kyrie has said, "There is an organ doctors have not yet found in the human body, and it is the biggest organ we have". Would you call him crazy? Most folks would think all of our organs have found, but there are some folks that are challenging that.

I appreciate the effort, but I think it is more analogous to Kyrie stating about anatomy "I am not sure that humans need oxygen to survive. I am not saying we don't. Discover for yourself!"

I like people learning on their own and challenging hegemonic thinking, but come on man, the world isn't flat.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 12:36 PM
If and when Kyrie finally graduates from Duke, his last exam should be just one multiple choice question.

Is the Earth a sphere?
x. Yes
x. No

Wrong answer, no degree, try again next year.

PackMan97
06-11-2018, 12:43 PM
I appreciate the effort, but I think it is more analogous to Kyrie stating about anatomy "I am not sure that humans need oxygen to survive. I am not saying we don't. Discover for yourself!"

I like people learning on their own and challenging hegemonic thinking, but come on man, the world isn't flat.

Ok, I snorted on the oxygen comment, but sadly need to spread comments around :/

Have you ever been to Kansas? the world is most definitely flat and uninteresting.

Channing
06-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Agree with this entirely. This isn't a maybe, or a possibly, it is black and white. This all strikes me as the philosophic equivalent of wearing a $60,000 shorts-suit. It just screams "Look at me ... Talk about me ... Me Me Me ..."

gus
06-11-2018, 12:59 PM
To be honest, I think what is more important now than ever before is that kids (and people) THINK. That's what Kyrie is asking folks to do.

By challenging the widely accepted beliefs about human anatomy, some doctors are pushing knowledge forward.

How about Elon Musk and SpaceX trying to reuse rockets? 15 years ago if you said we'll regularly be landing rockets tail first, on a boat, in the middle of the ocean and reusing them, people would have called you insane. 10 years ago they'd say you should burn your cash instead, at least then you'd stay warm. 5 years ago they'd tell you it would never work. 2 years ago they made the first landing on a drone ship in the ocean and have 13 more since then.

I'm not sure Kyrie is picking the best example, but he's absolutely right that you should challenge accepted knowledge. That you should challenge the way we are doing things, why we are doing them and how we are doing them. That's what moves the world forward. We need more disruptive thinkers, not less.

To be clear, it was well known that these interstitial spaces exist, but scientists are getting a better understanding of how it functions. That's a far cry from arguing that the world is flat, which is just moronic.

Matches
06-11-2018, 01:02 PM
Agree with this entirely. This isn't a maybe, or a possibly, it is black and white. This all strikes me as the philosophic equivalent of wearing a $60,000 shorts-suit. It just screams "Look at me ... Talk about me ... Me Me Me ..."

I'd wager that if Kyrie had worn a different shade of blue in college, he'd have *maybe* one defender on this board. Maybe not that many.

He thinks he's saying something profound that less intelligent or woke people just don't get. He is wrong.

DukieInKansas
06-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Ok, I snorted on the oxygen comment, but sadly need to spread comments around :/

Have you ever been to Kansas? the world is most definitely flat and uninteresting.

I'm going to guess that you have never ridden across it on a bicycle. Although scientists say it is flatter than a pancake, you may not think so if you are on a bicycle. Hwy 160 between Medicine Lodge and Coldwater through the Gyp Hills and the Flint Hills after a wet spring are two of my favorites. http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kansas/kansas-photography/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=kansas&utm_campaign=newsletter

BLPOG
06-11-2018, 01:15 PM

How did you arrive at the conclusion that he has influenced kids to believe the Earth is flat and gravity doesn't exist? I think that statement could use some data to support it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 01:17 PM
I'm going to guess that you have never ridden across it on a bicycle. Although scientists say it is flatter than a pancake, you may not think so if you are on a bicycle. Hwy 160 between Medicine Lodge and Coldwater through the Gyp Hills and the Flint Hills after a wet spring are two of my favorites. http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kansas/kansas-photography/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=kansas&utm_campaign=newsletter

Username checks out...

Matches
06-11-2018, 01:21 PM
How did you arrive at the conclusion that he has influenced kids to believe the Earth is flat and gravity doesn't exist? I think that statement could use some data to support it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kyrie-irvings-flat-earth-talk-causing-headaches-for-science-teachers/

BLPOG
06-11-2018, 01:28 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kyrie-irvings-flat-earth-talk-causing-headaches-for-science-teachers/

That's an interesting anecdote, but it doesn't substantiate JNort's claim. If people think this topic is serious then it deserves actual close examination, which requires more than an anecdote here or there collected by sports media that are covering it as entertainment.

Besides, what that story suggests to me is that some students like to make trouble for teachers and some teachers aren't very good at handling it. It doesn't suggest that the students believe it.

Matches
06-11-2018, 01:35 PM
That's an interesting anecdote, but it doesn't substantiate JNort's claim. If people think this topic is serious then it deserves actual close examination, which requires more than an anecdote here or there collected by sports media that are covering it as entertainment.

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. No one has done a study to see what percentage of teenagers believe the Earth is flat specifically because Kyrie Irving suggested it might be. There have been multiple articles on this, and not just from sports media. They're readily available via a simple google search. Anecdotal, sure, but you put enough anecdotes together....

Jeffrey
06-11-2018, 01:54 PM
I think it's fair to say kids pay some attention to what athletes and celebrities say. IMO, some attention is usually too much.

Jeffrey
06-11-2018, 02:01 PM
I'm going to guess that you have never ridden across it on a bicycle.

Pay him no mind, his head is full of cheese. Kansas will always be interesting as long as you are there.

Truth&Justise
06-11-2018, 02:13 PM
If and when Kyrie finally graduates from Duke, his last exam should be just one multiple choice question.

Is the Earth a sphere?
x. Yes
x. No

Wrong answer, no degree, try again next year.

The correct answer, of course, is No.

(It's more of an oblate spheroid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_the_Earth#Ellipsoid_of_revolution), flattened at the poles and bulging at the equator.)

PackMan97
06-11-2018, 02:14 PM

My pancakes usually have blueberries, or bananas or strawberries in them and aren't particularly flat....and since everything I know about Kansas I learned in 7th grade US Geography...I have no idea what you are talking about. But I am willing to concede that despite any personal evidence of KS not being flat that in fact Kansas may not be as flat as I think it is, in particular if you are riding a bicycle it could be flatter than if you drive or fly over it in an airplane.

Something affects me on a far more personal basis is the myth that in the time of Christopher Columbus folks thought the world was flat and Columbus was a genius who proved them wrong. NO! NO! NO! A million times NO! I can't tell you have many books I've thrown away because of this. Folks have known to an amazing degree of accuracy since the time of Eratosthenes. Almost 2,000 years later it was an established scientific fact that it would have been around a 12,000 mile journey to Japan by heading west across the Atlantic. Columbus argued the Earth was far smaller and then he could make the journey in 2,300 miles. Columbus actually cooked the books on his journey keeping a fake log for his crew to show them they had not traveled very far (so they wouldn't get scared that 2,300 miles had come and gone with no land in sight) and another hidden log that was accurate. Turns out 4,000 miles after leaving his made landfall in the Caribbean. Only blind luck saved him and his crew from the death they should have had and one of the worlds greatest con artists. So, I don't know what the point of the rant is...other than I hate the modern American myth that Columbus was so smart and convinced all the idiots the earth was round. No, Columbus was the idiot and is very fortunate to have survived his stupidity. However, since he did, he gets all the glory and what not.

Ah...I feel better now. Thanks for reading.

PackMan97
06-11-2018, 02:17 PM
BTW - These kids arguing with their science teacher about a flat earth...I will bet 100 pies that they know the earth is round, but that by arguing the earth is flat because a basketball player says so gets the teacher in a rage, and off topic, and ranting and basically gives them a free pass for the day/week/whatever where they don't have to do much learning.

Oh the things I remember kids doing and saying in class and every single one of them knew EXACTLY why they were doing it...because it got under the skin of the teacher. They argue anything, say anything and do anything to achieve their desired goal (no class for the day because the teacher is too busy ranting or off on a tangent).

gus
06-11-2018, 02:30 PM
My pancakes usually have blueberries, or bananas or strawberries in them and aren't particularly flat...and since everything I know about Kansas I learned in 7th grade US Geography...I have no idea what you are talking about. But I am willing to concede that despite any personal evidence of KS not being flat that in fact Kansas may not be as flat as I think it is, in particular if you are riding a bicycle it could be flatter than if you drive or fly over it in an airplane.

Something affects me on a far more personal basis is the myth that in the time of Christopher Columbus folks thought the world was flat and Columbus was a genius who proved them wrong. NO! NO! NO! A million times NO! I can't tell you have many books I've thrown away because of this. Folks have known to an amazing degree of accuracy since the time of Eratosthenes. Almost 2,000 years later it was an established scientific fact that it would have been around a 12,000 mile journey to Japan by heading west across the Atlantic. Columbus argued the Earth was far smaller and then he could make the journey in 2,300 miles. Columbus actually cooked the books on his journey keeping a fake log for his crew to show them they had not traveled very far (so they wouldn't get scared that 2,300 miles had come and gone with no land in sight) and another hidden log that was accurate. Turns out 4,000 miles after leaving his made landfall in the Caribbean. Only blind luck saved him and his crew from the death they should have had and one of the worlds greatest con artists. So, I don't know what the point of the rant is...other than I hate the modern American myth that Columbus was so smart and convinced all the idiots the earth was round. No, Columbus was the idiot and is very fortunate to have survived his stupidity. However, since he did, he gets all the glory and what not.

Ah...I feel better now. Thanks for reading.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/columbus.png

Acymetric
06-11-2018, 02:32 PM
BTW - These kids arguing with their science teacher about a flat earth...I will bet 100 pies that they know the earth is round, but that by arguing the earth is flat because a basketball player says so gets the teacher in a rage, and off topic, and ranting and basically gives them a free pass for the day/week/whatever where they don't have to do much learning.

Oh the things I remember kids doing and saying in class and every single one of them knew EXACTLY why they were doing it...because it got under the skin of the teacher. They argue anything, say anything and do anything to achieve their desired goal (no class for the day because the teacher is too busy ranting or off on a tangent).

We probably derailed two classes per week for the entire period with my freshman English teacher this way (although he never got upset, we just got locked in long, in-depth discussions about things wholly unrelated to English). Although I now wonder if he hadn't subtly tricked us into learning how to debate well.

dukelifer
06-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Most people believe in things for which they have no direct evidence (like angels or aliens) or can not explain why they believe in them. While some kids may buy it- some kids may actually try to resolve the flat earth vs round earth question by looking at the evidence for each argument. That is probably a good thing and perhaps why Kyrie is doing it- who knows. The flat earth argument is compelling because it is consistent with the available day to day evidence of the observer which is why it was believed by almost all people to be flat before 2000 years ago. Some people will never believe more than they can see or feel themselves. At some point we have to trust what we have been told about most things- because we cannot run all the experiments ourselves or even double check the ones that have been run.

NSDukeFan
06-11-2018, 02:43 PM
This discussion seems to keep going around and around.

camion
06-11-2018, 02:52 PM
How can the earth be flat if spacetime is curved?

Then there is my physicist friend who, after several beers, explains that T. Rex was about the size of a pit bull, but since the universe is expanding the fossilized bones have been growing for millions of years to the size we see now. If you don't like that scenario have a few more beers and it will begin to make sense. :)

BLPOG
06-11-2018, 03:02 PM
I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. No one has done a study to see what percentage of teenagers believe the Earth is flat specifically because Kyrie Irving suggested it might be. There have been multiple articles on this, and not just from sports media. They're readily available via a simple google search. Anecdotal, sure, but you put enough anecdotes together...

My point is that some people seem deeply bothered by the whole thing, but I don't understand why, because the idea that a handful of celebs saying the Earth is flat is going to influence people en mass seems ludicrous on its face. Without real evidence of that influence, why get worked up about it?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 03:50 PM
My point is that some people seem deeply bothered by the whole thing, but I don't understand why, because the idea that a handful of celebs saying the Earth is flat is going to influence people en mass seems ludicrous on its face. Without real evidence of that influence, why get worked up about it?

See: Anti-Vaxxers

Duke79UNLV77
06-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Kyrie is Iverson (but with better skills, as Durant says) meets Andy Kaufman (with lesser skills). He’s enjoying seeing the reaction, part of which, as he said last year, is the absurdity of people getting so worked up about a basketball player’s comments. He’s different, but he’s not dumb.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Then there is my physicist friend who, after several beers, explains that T. Rex was about the size of a pit bull, but since the universe is expanding the fossilized bones have been growing for millions of years to the size we see now. If you don't like that scenario have a few more beers and it will begin to make sense. :)

I'm still getting over the concept that time and space are the same thing....

Indoor66
06-11-2018, 04:15 PM
I'm still getting over the concept that time and space are the same thing...

Since when?

Reddevil
06-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Kyrie is Iverson (but with better skills, as Durant says) meets Andy Kaufman (with lesser skills). He’s enjoying seeing the reaction, part of which, as he said last year, is the absurdity of people getting so worked up about a basketball player’s comments. He’s different, but he’s not dumb.

Andy Kaufman is exactly right. Most people are ignorant and gullible. No sense getting upset about it. That is how it has always been and always will be. Life is a weeding out process. Nothing a celebrity says is going to make any difference. Ignorant and gullible people will go down that path anyway. Thinkers will not. We are lucky enough to be thinkers. Just make sure you pass that on to your kids and the rest will take care of itself. Pan out. Laugh at humanity. As long as you are enlightened, that is the extent to which you have control. BTW, that dress was gold and white! (don't bite)

Troublemaker
06-11-2018, 04:28 PM

I tend to agree, but even if these kids really did believe in a flat Earth, I would have no problem with it. I mean, belief in Santa Claus is unscientific (some may remember from the early days of the internet this viral MIT "proof" of the impossibility of Santa (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/killjoy-scientists-prove-santa-has-impossible-job-1390548.html)). Children believe certain things when they're young, then they grow older and no longer believe them.

But most likely, yes, a lot of kids are trolling their teachers.

I think people are using it as a stand-in for other debates. Vaccination comes to mind. Or maybe they consider a political opponent to be anti-science, and this is just another avenue to vent (as if there aren't enough avenues to vent about politics already.)

But, I agree with you. Whereas it really does matter whether vaccines are helpful or harmful, I don't see how it matters that a small percentage of people believe in a flat Earth. It's more amusing to me than vexing, and like you, I don't envision celebrities like Kyrie changing the consensus on this subject. Plus, outliers are unavoidable; there are 7.5 billion people on Earth, and you're never going to get every single one of them to believe in a round Earth. In a way, you could say it's actually anti-math-and-science to get worked up when outliers exist.

Kyrie deserves criticism for his attention-seeking and his affected "woke" persona that, to me, is quite cringe-worthy. But to suggest that he's actually harming science or harming children (or their teachers) seems overwrought.

freshmanjs
06-11-2018, 04:32 PM
The thing that drives me crazy about Kyrie (and I'm a fan) is that he speaks in long winded semi-English. It may be intended to sound intelligent, but it's gibberish. This was the case in his many interviews about leaving Cleveland and in this one.

dukelifer
06-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Since when?

Since 1905

Philadukie
06-11-2018, 07:41 PM
The thing that drives me crazy about Kyrie (and I'm a fan) is that he speaks in long winded semi-English. It may be intended to sound intelligent, but it's gibberish. This was the case in his many interviews about leaving Cleveland and in this one.

I agree. I love Kyrie, but I really dislike this flat earth stuff. And while he tries sound smart about it, he actually sounds like the half-baked profundity of a poorly translated fortune cookie.

MarkD83
06-11-2018, 08:05 PM
There is a way to test Kyrie's seriousness about this issue. The next time a reporter talks to him turn his words against him.

“Can you openly admit that you know that Cleveland and Kyrie Irving won an NBA championship, Like, you know that for sure? Like, I don’t know.”

I was not in the arenas where the games were played and I did not see the games on TV. Besides which even if some one sent me a tape of his "supposed" winning 3-ptr, that could have been any NBA game or just staged. And the ring that he has...well I could go to a jeweler and have them make a ring like that so that does not constitute proof....

So I don't believe he did win an NBA title.

jv001
06-11-2018, 08:51 PM
There is a way to test Kyrie's seriousness about this issue. The next time a reporter talks to him turn his words against him.

“Can you openly admit that you know that Cleveland and Kyrie Irving won an NBA championship, Like, you know that for sure? Like, I don’t know.”

I was not in the arenas where the games were played and I did not see the games on TV. Besides which even if some one sent me a tape of his "supposed" winning 3-ptr, that could have been any NBA game or just staged. And the ring that he has...well I could go to a jeweler and have them make a ring like that so that does not constitute proof...

So I don't believe he did win an NBA title.

In today's world where wrong is right and right is wrong, I'm not going to get upset over Kyrie's flat earth theory. Too many more important real life problems to worry about. That's all I'll comment on this subject. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
06-11-2018, 11:21 PM
We're not just being "trolled" by Kyrie -- we're being "gaslighted."

subzero02
06-11-2018, 11:47 PM
We're not just being "trolled" by Kyrie -- we're being "gaslighted."

UNCLE DREW, in theaters June 29th.

He didn't get to promote himself and his movie during a run to the finals so he had to do something to stoke the flames.

weezie
06-12-2018, 08:05 AM
UNCLE DREW, in theaters June 29th.

He didn't get to promote himself and his movie during a run to the finals so he had to do something to stoke the flames.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Although the "flames" seems a bit much. Maybe the "ego"?

superdave
06-12-2018, 09:11 AM
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Although the "flames" seems a bit much. Maybe the "ego"?

This is like the third thread on the subject on this board. I think he accomplished his goal.

JNort
06-12-2018, 09:13 AM
This thread is becoming very depressing.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-12-2018, 09:20 AM
This is like the third thread on the subject on this board. I think he accomplished his goal.

Only if that goal was to get some more attention, this time for being odd, illogical, etc. Not a worthy goal for someone who gets so much attention, and deservedly so, for his basketball skills, and for his allegiance to Duke and the brotherhood...

So yeah, he got the attention. I do not count it as a plus....nor do I buy the notion that he was making a much bigger point.

JNort
06-12-2018, 09:29 AM

If you think they haven't influenced a bunch of people with this then you haven't been paying enough attention. I have people I work with who are starting to believe in a flat earth as well as people I have talked with in day to day conversations. Netflix has a documentary arguing a flat earth, YouTube is riddled with the nonsense and message boards have cropped up all over.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't question or keep an open mind to new or even old ideas but some things are 100% irrefutable fact (like the earth isn't flat). The problem is it's degrading science literacy and sowing discord between the sciences and public opinion. Scientists don't usually make great communicators to the public which is why there is a job specifically for it with guys like NDT, Nye, Krauss among a few others and those guys get a ton of hate. We used to have great science journalists but those have been shoved aside for celebrity, sports and political news.

CDu
06-12-2018, 10:57 AM
I think my biggest issue is that Irving says things like "you shouldn't take things as fact without doing the research yourself," but then says that the "research" he does is on Instagram (per his podcast with Redick).

Well, that and that he's suggesting that we challenge stuff that has already been proven scientifically. Want to do the research on scientific stuff? Study science articles and science books, actually learn the science. Don't read Facebook and Instagram. There is a reason why nobody is publishing the flat earth case in scientific journals.

I agree with those that have said Irving is trying too hard to come off as intellectual (or as he likes to say so often, "woke"), and in this case just comes off looking dumb.

And I agree with those who don't like it when wannabe-intellectuals with a public voice start spouting off anti-science nonsense. In a vacuum, I'm more amused by Irving's attempted public intellectualism. But when it veers into territory of questioning the proven work of accomplished scientists based on Instagram posts from uneducated conspiracy theorists, that gets into territory that makes me a little uncomfortable for the future.

BLPOG
06-12-2018, 11:53 AM
If you think they haven't influenced a bunch of people with this then you haven't been paying enough attention. I have people I work with who are starting to believe in a flat earth as well as people I have talked with in day to day conversations. Netflix has a documentary arguing a flat earth, YouTube is riddled with the nonsense and message boards have cropped up all over.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't question or keep an open mind to new or even old ideas but some things are 100% irrefutable fact (like the earth isn't flat). The problem is it's degrading science literacy and sowing discord between the sciences and public opinion. Scientists don't usually make great communicators to the public which is why there is a job specifically for it with guys like NDT, Nye, Krauss among a few others and those guys get a ton of hate. We used to have great science journalists but those have been shoved aside for celebrity, sports and political news.

People say a lot of things. That does not mean they believe those things. Sometimes there are ways to measure whether a person actually believes a thing, typically by including a financial stake, even a very small one, although depending on the situation there could be competing and obfuscating factors (e.g. publicity). If you can find a person who will put a financial stake into something contingent on the veracity of a "flat Earth", you would have a compelling evidence of the person's belief. The closest example I can think of is a flat-Earther who was recently egged on to build a rocket and launch himself high enough to "prove" the Earth is flat; he went through with it and nearly died, but it's clear the guy has some mental health issues. I think your work colleagues are having a laugh.

I do share other folks' opinion that the affected intellectual persona is somewhat annoying.

kAzE
06-12-2018, 12:25 PM
I can't defend him on this issue anymore. I thought he was possibly just trolling everyone, or maybe doing some sort of weird social experiment, but these comments definitely shoot down that theory. I hope he comes around on this at some point. This is stupid, Kyrie. Just stop it.

gus
06-13-2018, 03:25 PM
I don't know about the earth, but basketballs are definitely flat (https://www.boredpanda.com/flat-earth-basketball-logic-uselesspickles/).

JStuart
07-27-2018, 10:01 AM
I can't defend him on this issue anymore. I thought he was possibly just trolling everyone, or maybe doing some sort of weird social experiment, but these comments definitely shoot down that theory. I hope he comes around on this at some point. This is stupid, Kyrie. Just stop it.

All Kyrie has to do today is go online and watch the eclipse:
How can a flatlander explain the curved shadow of the Earth crossing the Moon?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/video/why-the-july-27-lunar-eclipse-will-be-the-longest-one-this-century-1285314115712

JStuart

sagegrouse
07-27-2018, 10:04 AM

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/video/why-the-july-27-lunar-eclipse-will-be-the-longest-one-this-century-1285314115712

JStuart

Great idea! We'll put a lunar eclipse into his next movie, "Uncle Drew in Space."

PackMan97
07-27-2018, 10:22 AM

JStuart

Kyrie isn't saying that the earth isn't a circle, he's saying it's not a sphere. Duh! Come on...just because the earth is flat doesn't mean it's shape is in doubt. Everyone knows the earth isn't a square or triangle.

;)

edit: Actually, I have no idea what Kyrie is saying, other than "look at me".

weezie
07-27-2018, 10:48 AM
I thought "The world is a vampire"???

OldPhiKap
07-27-2018, 10:52 AM

I thought the world was our oyster.

Which, of course, leaves a really oddly-shaped shadow.

devildeac
07-27-2018, 10:54 AM

Simply Smashing, weezie. ;)

rsvman
07-27-2018, 11:03 AM
If the earth were flat, cats would've pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

JStuart
07-27-2018, 11:10 AM
If the earth were flat, cats would've pushed everything off the edge a long time ago.

It was thought to be common knowledge back in college that there was no gravity, the Earth simply sucked....

OldPhiKap
07-27-2018, 11:14 AM
It was thought to be common knowledge back in college that there was no gravity, the Earth simply sucked...

Gravity is not just a good idea — it’s the law.

arnie
07-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Kyrie isn't saying that the earth isn't a circle, he's saying it's not a sphere. Duh! Come on...just because the earth is flat doesn't mean it's shape is in doubt. Everyone knows the earth isn't a square or triangle.

;)

edit: Actually, I have no idea what Kyrie is saying, other than "look at me".

Read Revelation 7:1. Earth is definitely a square, parallelogram or rectangle.

rasputin
07-27-2018, 12:30 PM

Somebody spork rsvman for me.

OldPhiKap
07-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Read Revelation 7:1. Earth is definitely a square, parallelogram or rectangle.

Squares and rectangles are parallelograms. Did you mean a rhombus?

PackMan97
07-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Squares and rectangles are parallelograms. Did you mean a rhombus?

If something is a square, by definition it is also a rectangle and a parallelogram.

Indoor66
07-27-2018, 02:25 PM
If something is a square, by definition it is also a rectangle and a parallelogram.

You know them tractor jockies know squares. 😂🤡🤗😎

PackMan97
07-27-2018, 02:39 PM
You know them tractor jockies know squares. 😂🤡🤗😎

You joke, but the kids in my 'hood customize the family riding mower and race them around the block. Ah, the joys of living out in the county.

Indoor66
07-27-2018, 04:13 PM
You joke, but the kids in my 'hood customize the family riding mower and race them around the block. Ah, the joys of living out in the county.

Well I used to practice rodeo after work with my neighbors. Loved those wide open spaces with horses, cattle and antelope. We even saw an occasional Jacalope.

JNort
07-27-2018, 04:57 PM
I wonder what else Kyrie thinks is being made up or lied about on a massive scale? I've found that most flerfers tend to be conspiracy theorists in more than just 1 way.

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Didn't Kyrie play in China? The country on literally the other side of the globe? Or did the pilot announce on his flight "If everyone will look out their right windows, you will see the edge of the Earth."?

HereBeforeCoachK
07-27-2018, 06:25 PM
KYRIE.....
Make.
It.
Stop.

4Gen
07-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Kyrie is incredibly stupid or incredibly ignorant, but either way, he's an incredible dribbler. Isn't that the sad point?

CameronBornAndBred
07-27-2018, 08:06 PM
... he's an incredible dribbler.

Only if the ball isn't flat.

4Gen
07-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Only if the ball isn't flat.

The ball is flat. That's why Kyrie is an incredible dribbler.

curtis325
07-27-2018, 11:20 PM
I thought the world was our oyster.

Which, of course, leaves a really oddly-shaped shadow.

It's turtles all the way down!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Didn't Kyrie play in China? The country on literally the other side of the globe? Or did the pilot announce on his flight "If everyone will look out their right windows, you will see the edge of the Earth."?

Didn't his father play in Australia? AKA, the land down under?

sagegrouse
07-28-2018, 04:39 PM
Didn't his father play in Australia? AKA, the land down under?

I believe Kyrie was born in Australia.

CameronBornAndBred
07-28-2018, 04:52 PM
What do flat earthers think is on the other side? I mean it's flat, so it's got two sides, right? Wish they'd send someone over for a status report, and maybe send back a few pics. We managed to get to the dark side of the moon; surely we can figure out a way to see what's on the other side of our home planet!

devildeac
07-28-2018, 05:03 PM
What do flat earthers think is on the other side? I mean it's flat, so it's got two sides, right? Wish they'd send someone over for a status report, and maybe send back a few pics. We managed to get to the dark side of the moon; surely we can figure out a way to see what's on the other side of our home planet!

It's not a planet, but:

"And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too..."

gray
07-28-2018, 06:35 PM
I’d love to hear Kyrie’s opinion on time zones.

JNort
07-28-2018, 08:19 PM

The typically don't think we've ever been to the moon.

I’d love to hear Kyrie’s opinion on time zones.
They usually agree that it works like this:

https://tenor.com/view/flatearth-gif-8521428

^Its just a gif showing how they think the sun and moon work

OldPhiKap
07-28-2018, 09:54 PM

dukelifer
07-29-2018, 07:24 AM

I want to see pics of the great ice wall that holds all the oceans in. Now that would be cool- but sadly no one has ever gone to the wall and returned to tell about it.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-29-2018, 08:10 AM
The typically don't think we've ever been to the moon.

They usually agree that it works like this:

https://tenor.com/view/flatearth-gif-8521428

^Its just a gif showing how they think the sun and moon work
Neil Degrasse Tyson has something to say about all this...

https://tenor.com/view/earth-gravity-micdrop-gif-5002992 (https://tenor.com/view/earth-gravity-micdrop-gif-5002992)

JNort
07-29-2018, 01:33 PM

https://tenor.com/view/earth-gravity-micdrop-gif-5002992 (https://tenor.com/view/earth-gravity-micdrop-gif-5002992)

They don't believe in gravity and think Tyson is a NASA shill

rsvman
07-29-2018, 05:34 PM
I want to see pics of the great ice wall that holds all the oceans in. Now that would be cool- but sadly no one has ever gone to the wall and returned to tell about it.

Water would actually be attracted to the center of the disk, because gravity pulls toward the "center of gravity" of an object. So there would be no need to hold the seas in; they would already be pushing themselves toward the center of the disc.

Trees also grow in the opposite direction of gravity's pull, so trees closer to the edge would grow outward and increasing angles; near the edge they would grow almost straight out toward the edge. This is not to mention the effect it would have on your drive at the golf course, lol.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Water would actually be attracted to the center of the disk, because gravity pulls toward the "center of gravity" of an object.

Spin-Art says you are wrong. Spin-Art should be equated into a law of physics. Probably is, somewhere, and looks pretty.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Water would actually be attracted to the center of the disk, because gravity pulls toward the "center of gravity" of an object. So there would be no need to hold the seas in; they would already be pushing themselves toward the center of the disc.

Trees also grow in the opposite direction of gravity's pull, so trees closer to the edge would grow outward and increasing angles; near the edge they would grow almost straight out toward the edge. This is not to mention the effect it would have on your drive at the golf course, lol.

Spin-Art says you are wrong. Spin-Art should be equated into a law of physics. Probably is, somewhere, and looks pretty.

Right. On a plane, would centrifugal force outwards exceed any gravitational force inwards?

And how would the Coriolis Effect (or the corollary Eötvös effect) factor in, if it does at all? Doesn’t that require separate hemispheres to explain the difference between, say, Australia and America? Or can you model the same effect on a rotating disc?

Discuss, and have your reports ready for me by noon please. I’m going to get a beer.

And drink it counter-clockwise.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Right. On a plane, would centrifugal force outwards exceed any gravitational force inwards?

And how would the Coriolis Effect (or the corollary Eötvös effect) factor in, if it does at all? Doesn’t that require separate hemispheres to explain the difference between, say, Australia and America? Or can you model the same effect on a rotating disc?

Discuss, and have your reports ready for me by noon please. I’m going to get a beer.

And drink it counter-clockwise.

Reporting back...way more on time than I did in art school.

JNort
07-29-2018, 10:59 PM

They don't believe gravity exists, they believe in the "theory" of down.

camion
07-29-2018, 11:28 PM
They don't believe gravity exists, they believe in the "theory" of down.

So we have two theories to choose from, eider down or gravity? :p

I should probably duck.

JNort
07-30-2018, 01:19 AM
So we have two theories to choose from, eider down or gravity? :p

I should probably duck.

Basically to be a flerfer you have to deny reality and think we are all in some big simulation (which still doesn't make sense to me but I digress). The only others I have heard believe it's flat due to the bible.

CameronBornAndBred
07-30-2018, 01:29 AM
The only others I have heard believe it's flat due to the bible.

Frisbeethians 12:27

Acymetric
07-30-2018, 04:05 AM

I'm more or less over Kyrie (as an astronomer, the basketball part continues to interest me), but I definitely need to know if Tyson actually dropped the f-bomb during a show!

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-30-2018, 05:21 AM
I'm more or less over Kyrie (as an astronomer, the basketball part continues to interest me), but I definitely need to know if Tyson actually dropped the f-bomb during a show!
Absolutely did... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBZkek8OSU

HereBeforeCoachK
07-30-2018, 07:04 AM
Basically to be a flerfer you have to deny reality and think we are all in some big simulation (which still doesn't make sense to me but I digress). The only others I have heard believe it's flat due to the bible.

Those two beliefs are not contradictory.....but I digress - anyone who uses the Bible as a reason to think the earth is flat is more ignorant of the Bible than they are of science. And Quantam Physicists are some who talk about the matrix/simulation theory.

Troublemaker
07-30-2018, 07:15 AM
A lot of bandwidth wasted discussing the beliefs of Kyrie, who, if hooked up to a polygraph, almost certainly doesn't believe the Earth is flat...

moonpie23
07-30-2018, 09:31 AM
pocket money for him to find out, (https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/virgin-galactic-space-test-flight/index.html) and report back !!

my dad used to call this "s#$T or get off the pot" time....

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-30-2018, 09:39 AM
A lot of bandwidth wasted discussing the beliefs of Kyrie, who, if hooked up to a polygraph, almost certainly doesn't believe the Earth is flat...
Is “get off my bandwidth” the new “get off my lawn?”:cool:

AustinDevil
07-30-2018, 10:02 AM

I don't care, at all, what he actually believes. I do care some that his pseudo-intellectualism reflects poorly on Duke, and I care a lot that, as others have noted, he is doing a major disservice to science in general and rational inquiry in particular.

JNort
07-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Those two beliefs are not contradictory...but I digress - anyone who uses the Bible as a reason to think the earth is flat is more ignorant of the Bible than they are of science. And Quantam Physicists are some who talk about the matrix/simulation theory.

I wasn't inferring that sim theory doesn't make sense (I don't ascribe to that model as of yet though) but how they view it. I have heard it argued that the earth only appears round in the sim but outside it it isn't actually round. That to me doesn't make sense because if it's round inside the sim then that's all that would matter to us because we live inside of it and it is therefore our reality.

Those who use the bible tend to believe in a literal translation of it. So when it references the 4 corners of the earth or something of that nature it reinforces their flerfer ideas.

Troublemaker
07-30-2018, 01:24 PM
I don't care, at all, what he actually believes. I do care some that his pseudo-intellectualism reflects poorly on Duke, and I care a lot that, as others have noted, he is doing a major disservice to science in general and rational inquiry in particular.

None of that is actually true, though. For example, every year we find out that a few athletes (or other celebrities) don't believe in dinosaurs. Last year, one example was Greensboro native and former Clemson football player DJ Reader (https://people.com/sports/jj-watt-calls-teammate-out-on-twitter-for-believing-that-dinosaurs-didnt-exist/). Do you think that when college football fans found out that Reader denies dinosaurs, that they actually lowered their opinion of Clemson University? Or did they think something along the lines of, "Jocks are silly"? Very likely the latter, right? I think Duke University's reputation doesn't take a hit at all no matter what Kyrie says about the Earth. Likewise, the idea that "science" and "rational inquiry" are damaged by Kyrie is humorous to me.

You may also consider that, under the "Kyrie's trolling" theory, you are playing into his hands by being bothered.

JNort
07-30-2018, 01:48 PM
None of that is actually true, though. For example, every year we find out that a few athletes (or other celebrities) don't believe in dinosaurs. Last year, one example was Greensboro native and former Clemson football player DJ Reader (https://people.com/sports/jj-watt-calls-teammate-out-on-twitter-for-believing-that-dinosaurs-didnt-exist/). Do you think that when college football fans found out that Reader denies dinosaurs, that they actually lowered their opinion of Clemson University? Or did they think something along the lines of, "Jocks are silly"? Very likely the latter, right? I think Duke University's reputation doesn't take a hit at all no matter what Kyrie says about the Earth. Likewise, the idea that "science" and "rational inquiry" are damaged by Kyrie is humorous to me.

You may also consider that, under the "Kyrie's trolling" theory, you are playing into his hands by being bothered.

It may not reflect poorly on Duke but "science" and "rational inquiry" are most definitely taking a hit. Flerfers are on the rise and whenever prominent celebrities bring it up is does tend to see a boost.

Wander
07-30-2018, 01:52 PM
Likewise, the idea that "science" and "rational inquiry" are damaged by Kyrie is humorous to me.

It may very well be humorous, but it's also a completely fair statement. People here have shared articles of kids who look up to Kyrie and believe what he's saying. I think it's pretty plausible to say that because of Kyrie, there are at least a few more people out there who are less likely to believe in science. If those kids keep those beliefs into their adulthood, perhaps that will be reflected in their votes on vaccines and climate change, or perhaps they will pass along their ignorance to their children. So, yes, science is (extremely incrementally, of course) hurt by Kyrie's actions.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-30-2018, 02:04 PM
One could argue that the rationality of facts and science has been under attack for awhile now. Kyrie's statements in this particular societal climate are what I find disappointing.

Kfanarmy
07-30-2018, 02:31 PM
It may very well be humorous, but it's also a completely fair statement. People here have shared articles of kids who look up to Kyrie and believe what he's saying. I think it's pretty plausible to say that because of Kyrie, there are at least a few more people out there who are less likely to believe in science. If those kids keep those beliefs into their adulthood, perhaps that will be reflected in their votes on vaccines and climate change, or perhaps they will pass along their ignorance to their children. So, yes, science is (extremely incrementally, of course) hurt by Kyrie's actions.

Interesting.
1) I doubt the views of one basketball player will impact many people's views on astronomy.
2) You can pass along knowledge, perception, misperception, misinformation, feelings, etc. to your children. They are born with all the ignorance they'll ever have.

OldPhiKap
07-30-2018, 02:43 PM
As a Duke alum, I'm embarrassed that a former Duke student is arguing publicly that the earth is flat.

Maybe that says more about me than it does about him. I accept that. But it still bugs me.

FWIW.

ice-9
07-30-2018, 02:57 PM
I think we can all agree we would rather Kyrie not make these kinds of statements. Ergo, it’s certainly more negative than positive.

But I also wouldn’t want children’s futures and society’s opinion of science to weigh on my every word either. Unless you’re in public office or a teacher no one should have that burden, even if they do by virtue of celebrity.

Neals384
07-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Not sure about mini-TRexs, but those velociraptors were much smaller than in the movies, about the size of a turkey. And those claws would have been too weak to rip open your gut; instead, it's thought they used the claw to pierce your jugular.

Neals384
07-30-2018, 06:16 PM
I wasn't inferring that sim theory doesn't make sense (I don't ascribe to that model as of yet though) but how they view it. I have heard it argued that the earth only appears round in the sim but outside it it isn't actually round. That to me doesn't make sense because if it's round inside the sim then that's all that would matter to us because we live inside of it and it is therefore our reality.

Those who use the bible tend to believe in a literal translation of it. So when it references the 4 corners of the earth or something of that nature it reinforces their flerfer ideas.

Well, I use the Bible daily, and don't worry a bit whether it is literally word for word true. It's Truth I'm after - life lessons that are there for me.

But maybe you were only referring to flerfers who use the Bible - I don't know about them.

pfrduke
07-30-2018, 06:59 PM
I think we've pretty much pounded this one flat. Nothing more productive can come of it.