PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Texas Tech super regional

Pages : [1] 2

jimsumner
06-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Time to put Athens in the rear-view mirror and move on to the weekend.

The schedule for the weekend.

Saturday, June 9
Duke vs. Texas Tech, 3 p.m., ESPNU

Sunday, June 10
Texas Tech vs. Duke, 6 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, June 11
Duke vs. Texas Tech, 4 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Duke had a media availability just off the bus this afternoon.

Some highlights.

Pollard likes Saturday/Sunday/Monday over Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Duke played five games in four days, used lots of relievers and getting from Durham to Lubbock is not easy. An extra day's rest hits the spot.

Pollard says it's too late in the season to miss with the pitching rotation. Acknowledged that Duke needs better starting pitching. Cannot keep overcoming early deficits against quality teams.

He also said that he thinks Stallings is better after short rest than long rest. So, look for Stallings and Day in whichever order. A prospective game three would be all hands on deck, with Laskey, one would presume, getting the ball and hopefully getting back to form.

Pollard doesn't like having the MLB draft during the post-season. Really doesn't like it. Really, really doesn't like it. A big distraction.

Note that Duke has never had to deal with this before. The season has always been over before the draft.

Hopefully, we can make this a regular thing.

Chris Crabtree grew up a Carolina fan. They did not recruit him. He says his brothers are still Carolina fans but his parents have come around.

Later.

OldPhiKap
06-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Time to put Athens in the rear-view mirror and move on to the weekend.

The schedule for the weekend.

Saturday, June 9
Duke vs. Texas Tech, 3 p.m., ESPNU

Sunday, June 10
Texas Tech vs. Duke, 6 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, June 11
Duke vs. Texas Tech, 4 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Duke had a media availability just off the bus this afternoon.

Some highlights.

Pollard likes Saturday/Sunday/Monday over Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Duke played five games in four days, used lots of relievers and getting from Durham to Lubbock is not easy. An extra day's rest hits the spot.

Pollard says it's too late in the season to miss with the pitching rotation. Acknowledged that Duke needs better starting pitching. Cannot keep overcoming early deficits against quality teams.

He also said that he thinks Stallings is better after short rest than long rest. So, look for Stallings and Day in whichever order. A prospective game three would be all hands on deck, with Laskey, one would presume, getting the ball and hopefully getting back to form.

Pollard doesn't like having the MLB draft during the post-season. Really doesn't like it. Really, really doesn't like it. A big distraction.

Note that Duke has never had to deal with this before. The season has always been over before the draft.

Hopefully, we can make this a regular thing.

Chris Crabtree grew up a Carolina fan. They did not recruit him. He says his brothers are still Carolina fans but his parents have come around.

Later.

Bonus reports from Jim!!!! Many thanks!

Bob Green
06-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Thanks Jim!

Perhaps Day and Laskey will be inspired by Stallings' brilliance yesterday. Improved starting pitching in Lubbock is a must.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 08:58 PM

Later.

That part about Pollard being so much in angst about the draft worries me a bit....and really, why is MLB having the draft now instead of waiting two weeks. That's crap.

Cool about Crabtree. Man, did he have a regional , or what?

Reilly
06-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Southwest flies to Lubbock, which is only 6 hours by car to Juarez.

jimsumner
06-05-2018, 09:51 PM
That part about Pollard being so much in angst about the draft worries me a bit...and really, why is MLB having the draft now instead of waiting two weeks. That's crap.

Cool about Crabtree. Man, did he have a regional , or what?

Why would it worry you?

Pollard compared it to the NBA having its draft during March Madness or Baker Mayfield finding out where he had been drafted during a bowl game.

MLB would respond that they want to get these guys started in rookie ball as soon as possible and to be fair, no other sport expects their draft picks to go from college competition to pro competition almost overnight.

But, yes, I wish they would change it. But I'm not sure they have any incentive and the NCAA sure doesn't have much influence.

Crabtree told us that he was told he was replacing Rothenberg in the Campbell game when it was time for someone to go into the on-deck circle. Not much time to worry.

OldPhiKap
06-05-2018, 09:57 PM

Watch the tattoos in Juarez. I learned this, the hard way, during our appearance in the Sun Bowl a few years ago.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Why would it worry you?

Pollard compared it to the NBA having its draft during March Madness or Baker Mayfield finding out where he had been drafted during a bowl game.

I think the NBA draft during March Madness would be a catastrophe...I don't even like the POY awards and such being announced before the Final Four. Players take such things personally, and the draft, or the awards, become part of the dynamic - when I think the dynamic should be simply the tournament.

devildeac
06-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Hope OPK does not read this.

:rolleyes:

Avvocato
06-05-2018, 10:36 PM
A prospective game three would be all hands on deck, with Laskey, one would presume, getting the ball and hopefully getting back to form.

I think each game should be all hands on deck. Just go for it. Fun times. So happy for the program.

AGDukesky
06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Nice article on Crabtree and his shocking coming out party in Athens:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-06-06/college-baseball-how-did-freshman-chris-crabtree-lead-duke-its

JasonEvans
06-06-2018, 11:44 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-06-06/college-baseball-how-did-freshman-chris-crabtree-lead-duke-its

Great story... my favorite part:

"Coach," junior left field Jimmy Herron said, "if I'd have told you coming into this regional that Chris Crabtree was going to be intentionally walked at some point during the course of the regional, would you take those odds?"

Pollard offered an honest answer.

"Jimmy," Pollard said, "I'd have put my house on those odds."

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Pollard said yesterday that Duke will have to find ways to get Crabtree and Loperfido on the field at the same time next year. Loperfido played some middle infield in high school. Duke will need a new second baseman, a new third baseman and perhaps a new shortstop next season, so opportunities will be abundant.

Pollard was very complimentary of Crabtree's ability to stay focused and keep working, even when he wasn't playing. Most freshman reserves have been the best player on their team since they started playing and have never experienced sitting on the bench. They check out when they have to sit. Crabtree didn't check out. He stayed with the process.

I had never talked with him until yesterday. But he seemed awfully grounded for a teenager who had just been thrust into the spotlight. I was impressed. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him.

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Speaking of Loperfido.

From Duke press release.

"Duke first baseman Joey Loperfido was named to the Collegiate Baseball Freshman All-America team, the organization announced Wednesday.

This is the first All-America honor for the Haddonfield, N.J., native. Loperfido is the 11th Blue Devil in history to tally Freshman All-American honors and the first since teammate Jimmy Herron collected the honor from Louisville Slugger in 2016. Loperfido is also the first Blue Devil to earn the honor from Collegiate Baseball since JD Alleva in 1998.

The ACC All-Freshman Team honoree was predominantly a shortstop, third baseman and outfielder in high school, but transitioned to first base after arriving in Durham and has started all 60 games at that position. Loperfido tops the Blue Devil squad with a .308 average to go along with 64 hits, 42 runs scored, 40 RBI, 10 doubles, six homers and a pair of triples."

chrishoke
06-06-2018, 01:31 PM

"Crabtree logged just 15 regular-season at bats in a frustrating freshman season."

WOW!

budwom
06-06-2018, 01:34 PM
Watch the tattoos in Juarez. I learned this, the hard way, during our appearance in the Sun Bowl a few years ago.

Many of the best travel packages to Juarez include airline tickets, hotel, ground transportation and penicillin.

Billy Dat
06-06-2018, 01:42 PM
This is the first All-America honor for the Haddonfield, N.J., native.

I heard the secret to his success was a steady diet of Zoubek Dream Puffz just as he started puberty in 2012.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-06-2018, 01:55 PM
"Crabtree logged just 15 regular-season at bats in a frustrating freshman season."

WOW!

Yep, Loperfido beat him out barely at the beginning of the year...Pollard assumed there would be a Loperfido slump and Crabtree would get some starts. Loperfido never slumped. Crabtree now the hottest hitter in the nation.

redick4pres
06-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Pollard said yesterday that Duke will have to find ways to get Crabtree and Loperfido on the field at the same time next year. Loperfido played some middle infield in high school. Duke will need a new second baseman, a new third baseman and perhaps a new shortstop next season, so opportunities will be abundant.

Pollard was very complimentary of Crabtree's ability to stay focused and keep working, even when he wasn't playing. Most freshman reserves have been the best player on their team since they started playing and have never experienced sitting on the bench. They check out when they have to sit. Crabtree didn't check out. He stayed with the process.

I had never talked with him until yesterday. But he seemed awfully grounded for a teenager who had just been thrust into the spotlight. I was impressed. I suspect we'll see a lot more of him.

This reaction is especially refreshing coming from a baseball guy. Baseball players and their parents are some of the most, if not THE most high maintenance as a group of all of the sports that I've been around. I don't know if it comes from the socio-economic status of families who tend to get into baseball, etc. or if it's because every mom and dad think they know as much about the game as anyone. But either way, I'm happy to hear this about one of our players! He truly turned our weekend around in Athens.

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 02:07 PM
We could probably swap some interesting stories. :)

I ended up deleting the post but you responded to a deleted post.

Amazing what can be done with modern analytics. :)

Anyway.

I do not want to seem too negative. Most parents range from good to great. It was only a small portion who spoiled it for the rest. And I suspect we would find comparable examples in every youth sport.

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Draft update.

Both Zack Kone (Pirates) and Chris Proctor (Tigers) selected in 13th round.

That's a definite maybe for both. High enough to think about it but not so high to be a no-brainer.

Kennie Taylor not drafted through round 20. That suggests a return.

The only signee Duke was concerned about was pitcher Connor Stinson, whose brother pitches for Duke. He is also undrafted. So, I would expect him in Duke Blue next season.

The Stinson family hails from Norcross, Georgia and I'm told were in enthusiastic attendance last week at Athens.

Hopefully, they can compartmentalize and put these decisions on a back burner for awhile.

CameronBornAndBred
06-06-2018, 02:20 PM
I do not want to seem too negative. Most parents range from good to great. It was only a small portion who spoiled it for the rest. And I suspect we would find comparable examples in every youth sport.

MartyClark
06-06-2018, 02:36 PM
This reaction is especially refreshing coming from a baseball guy. Baseball players and their parents are some of the most, if not THE most high maintenance as a group of all of the sports that I've been around. I don't know if it comes from the socio-economic status of families who tend to get into baseball, etc. or if it's because every mom and dad think they know as much about the game as anyone. But either way, I'm happy to hear this about one of our players! He truly turned our weekend around in Athens.

I coached my sons in baseball and basketball from grades 2 through 8. Baseball is the worst. Parents want to give the coach input on fielding positions, batting order, and pitching changes. I had some pretty talented kids on my teams. One played for five years in the NFL, two played minor league baseball, one played safety at Northwestern, and one became a professional, albeit minor league, soccer player. With one exception, the parents of the good athletes were great.

OldPhiKap
06-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Many of the best travel packages to Juarez include airline tickets, hotel, ground transportation and penicillin.

Until my sojourn to Juarez, I was unaware that there was such a thing as "Hep-D"

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Ethan DeCaster picked in the 18th round, by the Tigers.

He's a grad-student, so coming back isn't an option.

Then again, he's an academic all-America, so he has some non-baseball options.

First time Duke has ever had four players picked in the top-15 rounds.

Disappointed that Labosky is still on the board. One of the best relief pitchers in college baseball, for crying out loud.

burnspbesq
06-06-2018, 04:03 PM

Lavar might not the the worst ever in SoCal. We had Mary Marinovich and Julie Foudy’s dad.

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Jack Labosky taken in 22nd round, by Tampa Bay.

martydoesntfoul
06-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Lavar might not the the worst ever in SoCal. We had Mary Marinovich and Julie Foudy’s dad.Julie Foudy’s dad? Please do tell. Met her once and wouldn’t accuse her of being overly friendly.

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 06:47 PM
The Atlanta Braves selected Mitch Stallings in the 30th round.

The seventh Duke player selected.

On one hand, this shows the talent level that enabled Duke to win 40 games for the first time ever, finish fourth in the ACC and advance to (at least) a Super Regional.

On the other hand, it suggests that Pollard could have a reload situation next season. Or rebuild.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-06-2018, 06:54 PM
The seventh Duke player selected..... suggests that Pollard could have a reload situation next season. Or rebuild.

Well heck, they better go ahead and win the whole shooting match then. (the odds of doing that from today are a lot higher than the odds we had to survive the regional during the Campbell rain delay) :cool:

OldPhiKap
06-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Well heck, they better go ahead and win the whole shooting match then. (the odds of doing that from today are a lot higher than the odds we had to survive the regional during the Campbell rain delay) :cool:

Yup. A reliable (but not humble) source had that calculated at five in a thousand. And I’d take that source to the bank.

Let’s Go DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Green
06-06-2018, 07:39 PM
On the other hand, it suggests that Pollard could have a reload situation next season. Or rebuild.

Zack Kone returning for his senior season would ease the rebuild situation significantly. The Duke fan in me desires for him to return and be a rock in the middle defense next year. The mature adult in me desires for Zack to make the best decision for his future.

OldPhiKap
06-06-2018, 07:43 PM
Zack Kone returning for his senior season would ease the rebuild situation significantly. The Duke fan in me desires for him to return and be a rock in the middle defense next year. The mature adult in me desires for Zack to make the best decision for his future.

Maturity is overrated. Just sayin’

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Kone and Proctor both have big decisions to make.

And, yes, Duke could certainly use them.

On the other hand, it helps Duke's long-term recruiting if they show they can turn top prep prospects like Conine and Herron into top draft picks by the end of their junior seasons.

There's a tier of top players not quite ready and/or interested in going pro out of high school but good enough to win championships. And they want to get drafted after their junior seasons. So, taking the long view, losing top juniors to the MLB draft is not a bad thing.

awhom111
06-06-2018, 09:26 PM
To close the draft, signee Kyle Salley was picked 1188 in the 40th Round. Seems like a safe bet that he will choose college.

Princeton senior Ben Gross was picked in the 34th Round. Was it already known that he would grad-transfer to Duke or is this the first we are hearing of it?

jimsumner
06-06-2018, 09:49 PM
To close the draft, signee Kyle Salley was picked 1188 in the 40th Round. Seems like a safe bet that he will choose college.

Princeton senior Ben Gross was picked in the 34th Round. Was it already known that he would grad-transfer to Duke or is this the first we are hearing of it?

Duke's been working on it for awhile. Hush-hush.

Don't be surprised if Duke adds another grad-student arm.

kmspeaks
06-07-2018, 05:28 PM

But have you met softball parents? Last year I had to forward parent e-mails to a friend without reading them and then let her give me the cliff notes version because reading paragraphs of personal insults just wasn't all that high on my to-do list. This year I'm just coaching volleyball. :rolleyes:

killerleft
06-08-2018, 10:22 AM
This weekend is big, and not just because of the chance to reach the College World Series. The prestige associated with playing in Omaha would likely put us on the radar for some recruits we'd not have a chance to get otherwise. So, Let's Go Duke!!!

Thought this thread deserved a spot at the top o' the page, so here's the GoDuke info from yesterday:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211717979&DB_OEM_ID=4200&_ga=2.229109660.1020040941.1528460993-692917311.1525456844

HereBeforeCoachK
06-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Interesting, Stallings gets the start for Duke, that makes sense.....but Tech is starting a guy with only 3 starts, who is not one of their two recognized aces. Rotation? Or not taking Duke seriously? They clearly must think they can steal a win with a young pitcher, but have their two big guns in reserve if not.

House G
06-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Interesting, Stallings gets the start for Duke, that makes sense...but Tech is starting a guy with only 3 starts, who is not one of their two recognized aces. Rotation? Or not taking Duke seriously? They clearly must think they can steal a win with a young pitcher, but have their two big guns in reserve if not.

The Texas Tech starter is Dylan Dusek. He is a senior southpaw who is 3-0 with a 2.22 ERA. It looks like he has only pitched 28 innings. He has been to two World Series. The interesting thing about him is that he had leukemia as a child—quite a story. Given the number of left handed batters in our starting lineup, can someone tell me how we fared this year against right vs. left-handers?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdBDxKwTGy0
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-05-04/college-baseball-texas-techs-dylan-dusek-poised-end-senior-home
And from 2014:
https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/102954/Contents/Very-Good-AJ-article-on-Dylan-Dusek-surviving-cancer-as-a-kid-70449965

HereBeforeCoachK
06-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Pounding the other ace for Stetson in the top of the first....

weezie
06-09-2018, 03:24 PM
ugh. holes.

WakeDevil
06-09-2018, 03:28 PM
DP ends a threat in the first.

weezie
06-09-2018, 03:35 PM
There ya go!

sagegrouse
06-09-2018, 03:46 PM
OMG, we scored first! Outside of recent experience.

WakeDevil
06-09-2018, 03:53 PM
He has dodged so many bullets he may have to star in a remake of the Matrix series.

AGDukesky
06-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Can’t keep putting so many runners on...

AGDukesky
06-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Both teams wasting baserunners

ehdg
06-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Nice bottom of the 4th for Stallings. Got his first strikeout n fielded his position well to get the third out.

Indoor66
06-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Ouch! 😡

chrishoke
06-09-2018, 04:24 PM
Labosky almost had one.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-09-2018, 04:28 PM
Points! 3-0

chrishoke
06-09-2018, 04:29 PM
LOL two hit batters score

ehdg
06-09-2018, 04:31 PM
Kone with a big 2 out double driving in 2 runs! 3 - 0 Duke.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-09-2018, 04:48 PM
3-2,bottom of the fifth, two outs, runner on second. Gotta get out of trouble.

AGDukesky
06-09-2018, 05:08 PM
Not getting a good feeling - you can’t keep allowing the lead off hitter to get on

weezie
06-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Come now! This team doesn't quit.

But these idiots doing commentary are dumb as a mud fence.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Nice 2 out rally!

ehdg
06-09-2018, 05:39 PM
Big hit there for Kone giving us the lead 4 - 3.

OldPhiKap
06-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Go Devils!

ehdg
06-09-2018, 05:56 PM
End of 7 n where tied again as TT gets a long ball off us making it 4 - 4.
Need to come back n get some runs!

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:09 PM
awful call at second and no replay allowed. Hope it doesn't cost us

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:11 PM
TT scores one they shouldn't have. 5-4 2 outs bottom 8. Labosky not as sharp has he's been

AGDukesky
06-09-2018, 06:11 PM
Sigh, hope we have some of last weeks magic left

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:12 PM
We play better from behind right?

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Another double and another run 6-4

AGDukesky
06-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Did not like the decision to bring Labosky in to start the 8th in a tie game. Now he is wasted on what looks like a loss...

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:17 PM
3 outs to get at least 2 runs. Top of 9th here we come

ehdg
06-09-2018, 06:18 PM
That 2 out double hurts! Now we’re down 2 runs. 4 - 6. TT with the lead.

That call early on the bunt n throw to 2nd. Sure looked out. Stinks can’t do replay on that.

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:19 PM
Did not like the decision to bring Labosky in to start the 8th in a tie game. Now he is wasted on what looks like a loss...

He's been so lights out. Did it in back to back games last Monday against GA. Easy to second guess but it felt like the right move. Maybe we kept Decaster in a bit too long with Stinson and Jarvis available. Dunno. love this team and coach Pollard so I don't question much.

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:27 PM
I'm a wanker for saying this

jwillfan
06-09-2018, 06:28 PM
Robbed. Safe at first as much as the TT guy was out at second. Home cooking.just have to beat them 2x like GA not even on the same day

buddy
06-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Did not like Pollard's decision making today. Lefthanded hitters love right handed sidearmers. So why let DeCaster pitch a second inning? Why take out Crabtree who would have led off 9th to bring in Labowsky in a non-save situation. When you are on the road, you save your closer for when you have the lead. Stinson and Jarvis are growing moss in the bullpen.

4Gen
06-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Duke baseball is on the map (TV,polls, recruits, MLB) and I'm really enjoying it. Good luck tomorrow, baseballers, as I'll be watching and rooting like wanker.

MCFinARL
06-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Duke likes to win in elimination games--now they have a chance! (Trying to think positively.)

chrishoke
06-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Proud of our guys. Let's beat em tomorrow. TT beat our best.

weezie
06-09-2018, 09:27 PM
We've got the talent, that's for sure. Now, just find them an ump crew that doesn't need seeing eye dog crew, too.

AtlDuke72
06-09-2018, 09:44 PM
Did not like Pollard's decision making today. Lefthanded hitters love right handed sidearmers. So why let DeCaster pitch a second inning? Why take out Crabtree who would have led off 9th to bring in Labowsky in a non-save situation. When you are on the road, you save your closer for when you have the lead. Stinson and Jarvis are growing moss in the bullpen.

The second guessing never end.

sagegrouse
06-09-2018, 11:22 PM

DBRers are able to transfer their finely tuned basketball critiques to other sports -- it just comes naturally.

AustinDevil
06-10-2018, 12:08 PM
awful call at second and no replay allowed. Hope it doesn't cost us

Was the last out of the game also not reviewable? Because he was safe.

House G
06-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Was the last out of the game also not reviewable? Because he was safe.

Apparently not.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2017-04-06/college-baseball-inside-implementation-video-replay-2017-regular

House G
06-10-2018, 01:54 PM
And not to complain too much about the calls, but this 2-2 pitch was called a ball. The batter, leading off the bottom of the 6th, ended up scoring the tying run. Proctor held his mitt in place for several seconds—clearly not happy with the call. I know these things tend to even out but I believe any play at any base should be reviewable at this point in the season (super regional).

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2018, 02:34 PM
And not to complain too much about the calls, but this 2-2 pitch was called a ball. The batter, leading off the bottom of the 6th, ended up scoring the tying run. Proctor held his mitt in place for several seconds—clearly not happy with the call. I know these things tend to even out but I believe any play at any base should be reviewable at this point in the season (super regional).

On what freaking planet is that a ball???? That looks to me like more home cooking than something that will "even out."

killerleft
06-10-2018, 03:31 PM
On what freaking planet is that a ball???? That looks to me like more home cooking than something that will "even out."

The first missed pitch call surely occurred in the first inning during the first game ever played using a home plate umpire. Yesterday's game was the only TV game I recall when home plate wasn't visible from the 'over-the-pitcher's shoulder' view. Frustrating. Half the fun is I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing at the calls!:o Not that I didn't I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. anyway.:)

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Want to see a V and play tomorrow. Been waiting to baseball success a long time. Our men's golf team has made huge progress, baseball as well, let's go deeper!!

GO DUKE!!!

House G
06-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Weather delay?

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 06:05 PM
Lightning delay.

ehdg
06-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Lightning delay.

Thanks for the update.

hallcity
06-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Lightning delay.

It may be wrong but my ample gut says this delay adds a lot more to TTU's stress level than to Duke's. I like it.

CameronBornAndBred
06-10-2018, 06:23 PM
At least the filler Warren Morris story was pretty entertaining.

jwillfan
06-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the story they showed on the 'net feed during the delay - Warren Morris, LSU player from the early 90s who wasn't recruited out of HS, walked on to the powerhouse national champs, red-shirted, stepped in for an all american that went to MLB (Todd Walker), exceeded expectations, got hurt (wrist surgery), came back in time for the SEC championship but could only bunt, who then hit a walk-off home run to win the college world series against the 'Canes.

I'm not crying, you're crying :rolleyes:

House G
06-10-2018, 06:47 PM
I am seeing that the game will start at 6:16 pm CDT.

The Vandy game also in a weather delay.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-10-2018, 06:52 PM
I am seeing that the game will start at 6:16 pm CDT.

The Vandy game also in a weather delay.

ESPN online indicates its still in delay....

House G
06-10-2018, 06:58 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeBASE/status/1005938221908447232?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

OZZIE4DUKE
06-10-2018, 07:15 PM
We do well after a weather delay! LGD GTHc!

ehdg
06-10-2018, 07:30 PM
Any further updates? 7:30 ET n still not on.

CameronBornAndBred
06-10-2018, 07:32 PM
Black jerseys. Eeek.

ehdg
06-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Sorry game started but geniuses at ESPN finished their program they started n flipped over to the game once the show ended. So we missed the top of The 1st.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Black jerseys. Eeek.
If the players like them then I’m ok with them. As long as we win! LGD GTHc from shipboard leaving Ketchikan, Alaska!

OZZIE4DUKE
06-10-2018, 07:36 PM
Sorry game started but geniuses at ESPN finished their program they started n flipped over to the game once the show ended. So we missed the top of The 1st.
So TT didn’t score?!!

WakeDevil
06-10-2018, 07:58 PM
That inning will be haunting.

YmoBeThere
06-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Bases loaded, 1 out...and we didn't plate anyone.

weezie
06-10-2018, 08:08 PM
The first base ump is way over-acting. Save the theatrics, sir.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Stinson has really good movement on his pitches today.

weezie
06-10-2018, 08:17 PM
I wish we had chat.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Playing with dynamite w/ all these base runners, but the DP gets us out of the 4th

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Let's GO DEVILS!!!:eek:

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 08:31 PM
THAT"S more like it!!!

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Pile on!!

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Crabtree makes up a bit for the bases-loaded DP.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 08:44 PM
4-0 good guys

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Good inning!!!!:cool:

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Sux that Jarvis is not available tonight.

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Five shutout innings by Stinson!

weezie
06-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Oh goody, the chewy part of our line up!

THE JACKHAMMERS.

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Gotta continue to score, make it easy. I'd sac him over even w a nice lead.

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Sweet, add another!!

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Who is this Pollard dude making all these awful decisions? :rolleyes:

I think he knew exactly what his team needed to find their motivation. Yesterday was all in the plan...:cool:

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:01 PM
We just knocked out the Big 12 pitcher of the year, he was 9-1

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 09:05 PM
It was gutsy to start a reliever when one of the key relievers is unavailable … Stinson has been monstrous so far today!

weezie
06-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Maybe the Duke dugout is using too many big words and stumping the 3rd base ump

hallcity
06-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Wow!

DukieInKansas
06-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Can someone provide the story behind the hardhat?

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Ten hits in thirteen at-bats is just sick!

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 09:17 PM
Will Stinson come back out in the sixth? At this point, the best thing would be to get as much out of him today as possible, without running a risk of hurting his arm.

ehdg
06-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Love how well our bats are hitting right now. Keep piling on! 10 - 0. Now!

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Can someone provide the story behind the hardhat?

The team has adopted a blue collar approach. Like the VPI football lunch pail.

DukieInKansas
06-10-2018, 09:22 PM
The team has adopted a blue collar approach. Like the VPI football lunch pail.

Thank you.

jimsumner
06-10-2018, 09:29 PM
The players seem to take the hard hat very seriously. They have brought in.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:31 PM
The players seem to take the hard hat very seriously. They have brought in.

And the jackhammer.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:34 PM
Another missed call goes against Duke.

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Suh-weeeeet!

DukieInKansas
06-10-2018, 09:36 PM
Another missed call goes against Duke.

But the review goes our way.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Fastest overturn of the year.

WakeDevil
06-10-2018, 09:42 PM
According to the ESPN PBP, Stinson is pitching to Conine. I am not sure who to pull for.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:44 PM
According to the ESPN PBP, Stinson is pitching to Conine. I am not sure who to pull for.

I gotta go w/ Stinson today.

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Wow, I'm glad Luperfino walked off … I had visions of a serious knee injury after that awkward slide.

duketaylor
06-10-2018, 09:47 PM
This could be an unexpected birthday week gift. Gonna fish Friday for cobia and other species in the Chessie. A trip to......would be fun. Gotta get there first.
Let's GO DEVILS!!!

Papa John
06-10-2018, 09:48 PM
Wow, I'm glad Luperfino walked off … I had visions of a serious knee injury after that awkward slide.

Is the rule about blocking the base path different between college and MLB, because I've seen the Nats forced to concede a run when the catcher impeded the runner by camping out in the base path like that... In any event, keep the foot on the gas, and hopefully we play another day for a chance to head to Omaha...

weezie
06-10-2018, 09:50 PM
It occurs to me that there really isn't an off season for Duke fans anymore. Next, next, next and next. Year round cheering!

Basketball, football, baseball, lacrosse, whew! Full time job.

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Kenny Taylor down, holding his hamstring …

DukieInKansas
06-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Don't like injuries.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Kenny Taylor down, holding his hamstring …
Everything was going too well. Dang it! Hope he recovers.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Damn.

weezie
06-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Oh geez, sure hope Kennie Taylor is ok. Poor kid.

weezie
06-10-2018, 10:02 PM
The ttech coach looks like Will Ferrell.

WakeDevil
06-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Stinson holds Duke scoreless in the seventh.

Traitor!

sagegrouse
06-10-2018, 10:06 PM
What happened to Kennie Taylor? I saw him limping in the dugout.

weezie
06-10-2018, 10:08 PM
Hammie, right.

Papa John
06-10-2018, 10:09 PM
That last pitch reminded me of Bull Durham... "Hit the bull with your next pitch... just trust me."

ehdg
06-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Damn hate having to go back to the bullpen again. Tomorrow will be all hands on deck if we hold on.

weezie
06-10-2018, 10:20 PM
Homer the ump.

ehdg
06-10-2018, 10:22 PM
3 outs to go n we play the rubber game tomorrow at 3 pm CT.

Let’s go Duke!

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 10:22 PM
Damn hate having to go back to the bullpen again. Tomorrow will be all hands on deck if we hold on.

These are not guys who would pitch tomorrow night.

weezie
06-10-2018, 10:25 PM
It feels like this game has been on for about seven hours.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-10-2018, 10:26 PM
All the TT pitchers have a strange setup when pitching from the stretch where they stutter step 2-3 times as they come set. Sorta strange to see them all do it.

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-10-2018, 10:27 PM
It feels like this game has been on for about seven hours.
An enjoyable 7 hours!

75Crazie
06-10-2018, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I'll take seven more hours of this tomorrow!

richardjackson199
06-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Duke likes weather delays and elimination games

Dr. Rosenrosen
06-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Insurance!;)

aimo
06-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Lance Cormier really needs to stop talking.

I can't do anything while the game is on, b/c unless I am watching the screen, I have no idea what's going on. They're talking about everything BUT this game.

DukieInKansas
06-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Great game! Let's do it again tomorrow.

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 10:46 PM
I love this team!

weezie
06-10-2018, 10:46 PM
Rest up team!

hallcity
06-10-2018, 10:47 PM
What happened after the game? Some jawing between the teams?

ehdg
06-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Love how much fight this team has in them! They’ve now won 5 elimination games! So hoping they can win one more tomorrow n continue to Omaha! Let’s go Duke!

chrishoke
06-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Who gets the ball tomorrow?

OldPhiKap
06-10-2018, 10:55 PM
What time does the game start?

tbyers11
06-10-2018, 10:56 PM

4pm Eastern

53n206
06-10-2018, 10:59 PM
All the TT pitchers have a strange setup when pitching from the stretch where they stutter step 2-3 times as they come set. Sorta strange to see them all do it.

I noted the also. But I think it's in order to make the batter anxious. Difficult to know when he's going to go into the full motion and pitch the ball.

buddy
06-10-2018, 11:01 PM
These are not guys who would pitch tomorrow night.

Davis no, but Dockman could get the call again if needed. But should have a rested staff, and even Stallings is probably good for an inning or two. Shame about Taylor. Injuries are always bad, but especially hurts when trying to make a spectacular play with a 10 run lead. He has had a tough tournament (physically).

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-10-2018, 11:05 PM
Monday, 4P EDT on ESPN2

OZ
06-10-2018, 11:07 PM
This team has certainly shown they have the heart; all they need now is another lightning delay and it's on to Omaha. Playing for a chance to go to the WS; never thought I would see this day. Couldn't be prouder.

jimsumner
06-10-2018, 11:59 PM
I think Day has to get the ball. He's a senior, he's been a weekend starter for the last two seasons and he was solid against Wake Forest in the ACCT. He doesn't have electric stuff but he's a grinder.

With Jarvis, DeCaster and Labosky all rested, Duke only needs five solid innings from him.

A couple more big innings would also hit the sweet spot.

duke2x
06-11-2018, 12:05 AM
This team has certainly shown they have the heart; all they need now is another lightning delay and it's on to Omaha. Playing for a chance to go to the WS; never thought I would see this day. Couldn't be prouder.

We can win games on Monday without a lightning delay. :) Echo the proud sentiments.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 06:42 AM
Jarvis sick.....Taylor and his hammie.......I'm trying to get over bad attitude about these!!!

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Postgame press conference.
http://goduke.com/

hallcity
06-11-2018, 11:22 AM
After this season, Duke has to give Pollard and the assistant coaches big raises. We definitely don't want to lose Pollard. Even more important, Duke needs plans for a big time upgrade to Jack Coombs field. The DBAP is great but it's too big, it's off campus and it's not always available. Duke has great facilities other than Coombs. It's way past time to upgrade Coombs. Somehow, some way, after wandering in the college baseball wilderness for more than 50 years, we've finally got a good program. Let's keep it.

DukieInKansas
06-11-2018, 11:41 AM
Any updates on Kennie Taylor?

Acymetric
06-11-2018, 11:57 AM
After this season, Duke has to give Pollard and the assistant coaches big raises. We definitely don't want to lose Pollard. Even more important, Duke needs plans for a big time upgrade to Jack Coombs field. The DBAP is great but it's too big, it's off campus and it's not always available. Duke has great facilities other than Coombs. It's way past time to upgrade Coombs. Somehow, some way, after wandering in the college baseball wilderness for more than 50 years, we've finally got a good program. Let's keep it.

I don't disagree about Coombs, but given that the DBAP is at least sometimes available, upgrading Coombs is probably at the bottom of the fiscal priority list, behind coach/staff salaries, training facilities/resources, and probably some other program related costs that I am not considering.

Do we provide the full NCAA allotment of scholarships for baseball (11.7, I think)? I'm sure that information is easy to find, but I could not find it. If not, maxing scholarships would take priority over Coombs as well.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 12:00 PM

I don't disagree about Coombs, but given that the DBAP is at least sometimes available, upgrading Coombs is probably at the bottom of the fiscal priority list, behind coach/staff salaries, training facilities/resources, and probably some other program related costs that I am not considering.

Do we provide the full NCAA allotment of scholarships for baseball (11.7, I think)? I'm sure that information is easy to find, but I could not find it. If not, maxing scholarships would take priority over Coombs as well.

As far as the DBAP/Coombs, I read that (buried in this story http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article212588529.html) Duke signed an agreement for seven years with the Bulls in 2015. So maybe Duke will start looking at some changes and upgrades before 2022. That's not far off, but does get enough time to start thinking seriously and planning.

House G
06-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Bryce Jarvis starting (?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeBASE

Go Devils!!

ehdg
06-11-2018, 03:46 PM

Go Devils!!

Also according to that tweet no Kenny Taylor in the Lineup. Whose playing CF, Cheek or Babwe?

nocilla
06-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Ncaa box shows Cheek at lf and Herron in center.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Game on ESPNU now

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Go Devils!!

Yep. Surprising.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 04:09 PM
Proctor with a double.

House G
06-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Huge defensive play by Labosky. I’m sure Jarvis is nervous but that ball bounced 6 feet in front of third base.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 04:28 PM
I like the true blue batting helmets.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 04:44 PM
Jarvis is doing well.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Close to a run ;)

Bluedog
06-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Run!!!

Nope. Somehow the runner stopped at 3rd...If he was running hard from the start with 2 outs, should have made it home...

Edit: Duke got the benefit of a call where runner was possibly (likely?) out at first, but then were on the wrong end of a call with the next batter getting hit in the hand, but the ump ruling it was an attempted bunt (it was an attempted bunt, but he pulled back). Would have loaded the bases. Instead, he struck out and inning over. :(

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Nope. Somehow the runner stopped at 3rd...If he was running hard from the start with 2 outs, should have made it home...

And then Miller with a terrible 3 pitch at bat......not playing Pollard ball...

weezie
06-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Some contentious umps once again.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Some contentious umps once again.

Do the same umps work the whole series? I would assume so and that they just rotate positions?

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 05:01 PM
TT on the board with a homer.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Tied up :)

Billy Dat
06-11-2018, 05:20 PM
Nothing like a little 2 out error to knot it at 1....Herron looked safe to me on that steal attempt.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Ouch...two run homer from TT.

Bluedog
06-11-2018, 05:29 PM
In 4 total pitches in relief, Matt Dockman (who has been one of the best pitchers all season) has given up a ground rule double and a homer. Not the best....Maybe taking him out now.

Atldukie79
06-11-2018, 05:31 PM
Dockman was breathing rather hard just 2 pitches into the inning. He looked nervous. Then a double and a HR followed.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 05:35 PM
In 4 total pitches in relief, Matt Dockman (who has been one of the best pitchers all season) has given up a ground rule double and a homer. Not the best...Maybe taking him out now.

Decaster not starting off much better. :(

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 05:43 PM

But he finished better. :)

Billy Dat
06-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Good job bearing down and getting out of that inning, especially after we blew that tag at second.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Gonna need a push here. They have it in them.

Top of the 7th, down one run.

LGD!

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Slipping away - down 4-2 now in the 7th

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Slipping away - down 4-2 now in the 7th

Been a heckuva run, and I'm not giving up, but they haven't seemed quite right today to me. From Conine not running it out, leaving a run on the field, and Pollard's first pitching change decision - I don't know. Something is off a bit. Or so it seems to me.

weezie
06-11-2018, 06:49 PM
Not feeling so good....

JetpackJesus
06-11-2018, 06:52 PM
That was a huge K.

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 06:56 PM
baserunner in the 8th on a leadoff walk.

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 07:00 PM
two on one out. come on guys.

JetpackJesus
06-11-2018, 07:02 PM
two on one out. come on guys.

Could've done without that bounce on the bad throw to first.

Acymetric
06-11-2018, 07:05 PM
So I am no baseball buff, and it has been consistent so it isn't necessarily a complaint, but are they giving a really wide strike zone or is it just the camera angle?

Mabdul Doobakus
06-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Seems like any close call is gonna go the way of the home team here. Obviously these college umps are trying their best, but how can you NOT be influenced by having an enthusiastic home crowd, when I would assume that's otherwise quite rare...

Mabdul Doobakus
06-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Duke has handled themselves just fine against the number 9 team in the nation, but 12 men left on base in 8 innings is no way to win a close baseball game.

Acymetric
06-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Definitely can't afford to let any in here.

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Damn

duketaylor
06-11-2018, 07:14 PM
Top of the 8th-we missed our golden opportunity with bases jacked, 2 outs. Looking gloomy now. Still have fingers crossed!!!

JBDuke
06-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Man, I miss the strike box I get on pro games. I'm disagreeing with these umps a LOT. And my Duke-blue glasses say the umps are favoring the Red Raiders...

JetpackJesus
06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Man, I miss the strike box I get on pro games. I'm disagreeing with these umps a LOT. And my Duke-blue glasses say the umps are favoring the Red Raiders...

That Ball 2 on Tech's last batter looked like a strike I saw called earlier. He got the K on the next pitch, so no biggie, but still.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Gonna need some magic in the 9th

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 07:21 PM
5-2 still in the 8th

weezie
06-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Oh dear. Going to miss these seniors.

DangerDevil
06-11-2018, 07:26 PM
Gonna need some magic in the 9th

Anybody in Lubbock available for a rain dance?

weezie
06-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Chins up Devils! They gave us some thrills!

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Great season, I never have watched so much Duke baseball in one year, and I'm looking forward to the next.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-11-2018, 07:51 PM
What a run this has been! Ace Parker would be proud of this team. (Ace was our baseball coach for a number of years and was coaching 2 out of 3 of the previous runs in the CWS. Jack Coombs coached the first run in the CWS.)

Playing in a tough venue which was the home field for their opponents, our guys played well under difficult circumstances against a ranked team. This program is in the fast lane to being one of the top baseball programs in the country... and it appears to be happening rather quickly.

Best wishes to those headed to the big leagues!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-11-2018, 08:05 PM
What a fun run to watch. Very proud. Easily could have won today or on Saturday. No shame.

Program looks amazing.

duketaylor
06-11-2018, 08:22 PM
I am also very happy with this baseball team and feel it's been a long time coming. Always thought we should be a strong program and I love the sport. Please let this carry on and get even stronger. GO DUKE!!!

PDDuke85
06-11-2018, 08:26 PM
Duke baseball? Hell yes it’s Duke Baseball!!
Thanks for not only a great season, but for continuing the renaissance of the baseball program.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Congrats on a great season, Blue Devils! Sorry it ended here, but hold our heads high. Gonna miss the seniors, and juniors drafted that sign with the bigs. I assume that means Griffin Conine. LGD GTHc!

ehdg
06-11-2018, 08:44 PM
This team did us proud n exceeded expectations. It was so enjoyable watching their run n just sorry it had to end. Will miss a few players but we have good young talent they hopefully will fill in nicely next year. Also hope this run opened some eyes of recruits n think seriously about Duke. I think the program will only get better from here n this years team hopefully starts us on a good run. Thank you for a very fun season guys!

chrishoke
06-11-2018, 08:45 PM
Duke baseball? Hell yes it’s Duke Baseball!!
Thanks for not only a great season, but for continuing the renaissance of the baseball program.

You said it best.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-11-2018, 09:26 PM
All of the accolades stated above, and all the talk about how this team took us all on a great run.....and how the program is poised to take off...all of that is true.

That said, right now I just feel bummed. Something wasn't quite right today...left 14 runners....had some real bad two out at bats....and made an odd pitching move that immediately cost us some runs. I think Duke is better than TT. It just kinda bums right now.....even in light of the bright bigger picture....

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 09:28 PM
All of the accolades stated above, and all the talk about how this team took us all on a great run....and how the program is poised to take off...all of that is true.

That said, right now I just feel bummed. Something wasn't quite right today...left 14 runners...had some real bad two out at bats...and made an odd pitching move that immediately cost us some runs. I think Duke is better than TT. It just kinda bums right now....even in light of the bright bigger picture...

Bet the team agrees. Good attitude to carry into next year.

DukieInKansas
06-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Thank you, Duke Baseball for such a great season. What fun these past 2 weekends were. I shouldn't have been thinking about finding tickets to Omaha this am.

Wish I could have watched today's game but ended up driving about 250 miles round trip to pickup my sister after she had an unfortunate encounter with a deer. The deer came out on ths shirt end of the encounter. Fortunately, tge car was injured and she was not. She reported on the score as we drove home.

Newton_14
06-11-2018, 10:16 PM
I am bummed as well. It's been a tough Spring! Grayson's rim out, then my High School Baseball team that had a great chance to win a State Championship, lost 2-1 in 9 innings in the best High School game I have ever witnessed (0-0 going into the 9th, their kid who only was pulled due to pitch count rule, had only allowed one baserunner on a walk; our kid who was only pulled due to pitch count rule, had only allowed one hit), to the team that went on to win the State Title, and then the loss today.

I was sick after the first two events and I am sick now. I wanted those guys to make the College World Series really badly. Gosh that stinks! Hopefully this is just the first of many great seasons to come with multiple trips to Omaha on the horizon.

I can now argue we have great coaching in all 3 of the top male sports. We are blessed in that regard.

Great season Devils. very proud of you guys!

burnspbesq
06-12-2018, 12:12 AM
I can now argue we have great coaching in all 3 of the top male sports.

And Coach Pollard makes four.

duke2x
06-12-2018, 12:49 AM
I wanted those guys to make the College World Series really badly. Gosh that stinks! Hopefully this is just the first of many great seasons to come with multiple trips to Omaha on the horizon...I can now argue we have great coaching in all 3 of the top male sports. We are blessed in that regard.

Great season Devils. very proud of you guys!

It bears repeating that we are in a golden age of Duke coaching and need to enjoy every minute.

This was reminiscent of the 2013 football season. It is hard for P5 programs to be consistent in baseball in consecutive years. The trajectory may be more cubic or sinusoidal than linear. I'm not sure what the ACC schedule looks like for sure, but we're due for a road schedule worse than basketball: @Clemson, @UNC, @UVA, @Miami, @BC. Louisville and Vandy would be the highlights of the home schedule. I don't know if we are guaranteed a game with Wake every year and could see FSU or @NCSU instead. Consecutive NCAA bids, hosting, CWS runs, and ACC championships are all things we can discuss legitimately in 2019 and 2020.

Thanks to the seniors, departing draftees, team, and coaches for a particularly fun 2 weeks. I did search for flights from RDU to Omaha yesterday on Southwest and Frontier just in case.

awhom111
06-12-2018, 12:50 AM
Until anyone can provide evidence that this is not the case, my belief is that we were leaving our bats out during the lightning delays to charge them up. The weather was clearly too good today.

Steven43
06-12-2018, 12:53 AM
I am bummed as well. It's been a tough Spring! Grayson's rim out, then my High School Baseball team that had a great chance to win a State Championship, lost 2-1 in 9 innings in the best High School game I have ever witnessed to the team that went on to win the State Title, and then the loss today.
And how about the Duke Men’s Lacrosse team losing the NCAA Final in a very close match? That hurt almost as much (but not quite) as it did when Grayson’s missed shot (by inches!) kept Duke from going to the Final Four and having a shot at another National Championship.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-12-2018, 08:08 AM
And how about the Duke Men’s Lacrosse team losing the NCAA Final in a very close match? That hurt almost as much (but not quite) as it did when Grayson’s missed shot (by inches!) kept Duke from going to the Final Four and having a shot at another National Championship.

...Yep.....it does seem like all of those teams could've done even more. Football too, seemingly leaving about 3 wins on the table.
That's not sour grapes, but the fact is, a loss is more painful (to me) when you know your team is better than the team they lost to - or capable of doing even more.

Duke athletics over all seems about as healthy as ever....but the pain at the end is still pain...

MCFinARL
06-12-2018, 08:25 AM

...Yep....it does seem like all of those teams could've done even more. Football too, seemingly leaving about 3 wins on the table.
That's not sour grapes, but the fact is, a loss is more painful (to me) when you know your team is better than the team they lost to - or capable of doing even more.

Duke athletics over all seems about as healthy as ever...but the pain at the end is still pain...

Losing hurts for sure, especially when your team gets close, and most especially when you can see the plays not made, the points/runs left on the table, etc. But to be fair, I don't think the Duke lacrosse team this year was "better than the team they lost to."

Duke did not play a perfect game in the title match, but they didn't play poorly, either. Yale just played better--and it wasn't a surprise that they did so. They had been a very highly ranked team all year, with excellent coaching and extremely skilled players. So a very good team lost to one that was at least as good and likely a little bit better.

buddy
06-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the ride. Winning 6 straight elimination games was a bridge too far. This team had little margin for error (mediocre starting pitching, little depth, weak bottom of the line-up--before Crabtree). Infield defense generally was sparkling. Just could not get a timely hit yesterday. Give TTU pitchers some credit. We lose a lot, but hope that the team can build off this. And yes, there have been some tough losses this spring, but overall our teams have been quite successful.

jimsumner
06-12-2018, 11:19 AM
It was a most interesting spring-sport season for Duke. Baseball, men's lacrosse, women's tennis, women's golf and men's golf all went deep into the NCAAs, as did women's soccer, men's basketball, and women's basketball earlier in the academic year. But none of these teams won it all. Lots of depth. But I would have loved at least one national title.

pfrduke
06-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Updated map post-Super Regionals. I reserve the right not to finish this if it trends too heavily light blue.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1760/40947361830_61355c599e_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/25onW65)

TruBlu
06-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Any representation of “that” shade of blue with the letters “nc” should automatically have a scarlet letter “A” superimposed over it. For eternity.

devilish
06-12-2018, 03:08 PM
...Yep....it does seem like all of those teams could've done even more. Football too, seemingly leaving about 3 wins on the table.

Duke athletics over all seems about as healthy as ever...but the pain at the end is still pain...

Women's soccer too... Undefeated regular season. Lose in championship game on penalty kicks.

OZ
06-12-2018, 04:11 PM
According to accounts I have read, we have seven players who have been drafted by MLB from the second round up. I have limited understanding as to the nature of the draft... so, I was wondering how many of these guys will leave? I get that we lose the seniors... and Conine was a given... but I wasn't counting on losing Herron (should have known) (3rd), Proctor(13th) and Kone(13th) to the draft. Also two of our 2019 signees... both pitchers... grad student Gross(34th) and high schooler Salley(40th) were also selected. Who goes makes a big difference in what we have next year.

jimsumner
06-12-2018, 05:02 PM
According to accounts I have read, we have seven players who have been drafted by MLB from the second round up. I have limited understanding as to the nature of the draft... so, I was wondering how many of these guys will leave? I get that we lose the seniors... and Conine was a given... but I wasn't counting on losing Herron (should have known) (3rd), Proctor(13th) and Kone(13th) to the draft. Also two of our 2019 signees... both pitchers... grad student Gross(34th) and high schooler Salley(40th) were also selected. Who goes makes a big difference in what we have next year.

Conine and Herron have been gone for a long time. I'm assuming Proctor and Kone are gone until and unless I hear otherwise, especially Kone, based more on what I've heard than on draft position.

I would expect all of the signees to show up.

Again, in the long term it's great that Duke is having juniors picked high. Guys who get drafted high after their junior years are the guys that win championships and it's in Duke's best interests to show recruits that they can help them develop into those guys.

I guarantee you, Pollard is delighted that these four were picked so high. That's the plan.