PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Clark, RIP

jimsumner
06-04-2018, 09:49 PM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23698130/former-san-francisco-49ers-great-dwight-clark-dies-61-battling-als

Neals384
06-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Very sad. Great story at si.com
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/03/dwight-clark-als-49ers-reunion-eddie-debartolo

Faison1
06-04-2018, 11:58 PM
As a native San Franciscan, this is more than sad news. Dwight was a major part of my formative years. I was 10 when he made "the Catch". That play solidified my laser focus on the Niners for the next 15 years.

Along with Joe, Dwight started a procession of amazing football players who were known not only for their skill and toughness, but also their equally admirable personalities and community involvement.

Dwight will be forever immortalized by his play against the Cowboys, but locally, he will be remembered for the Southern drawl and charm he developed in Kinston.

Truly a sad day for us all....

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 08:02 AM
This is sad and shocking news. I did not know he was sick. RIP Dwight, and prayers up for his family and close friends.

I do have a little Dwight anecdote: I was making some headway with a really hot blonde at Crazy Zacks in North Myrtle Beach one night, and I went to grab us a couple of beers. When I got the beer, and started looking for her - I finally found her on Dwight Clark's shoulders on the dance floor.

Hard to compete with football star, that handsome, and known to date Miss Universe...needless to say I never had a chance after that. I did get an extra beer though.

Cheers to you Dwight...even the non Clemson non 49er fans remember watching 'the catch.'

UPDATE: this is pull quote from the SI article:
"The receiver is best remembered for The Catch, but longtime Niners fans recall other parts of his story: how Clark dated a future Miss Universe and wore a fur coat to the Super Bowl parade, how he sang backup for Huey Lewis and earned the nickname “Hercules,” because to go out on the town with Dwight was to unfailingly come back with a tale to tell. Handsome, successful and charismatic, he seemed to live a charmed life."

Indeed.

jv001
06-05-2018, 08:11 AM
This is sad and shocking news. I did not know he was sick. RIP Dwight, and prayers up for his family and close friends.

I do have a little Dwight anecdote: I was making some headway with a really hot blonde at Crazy Zacks in North Myrtle Beach one night, and I went to grab us a couple of beers. When I got the beer, and started looking for her - I finally found her on Dwight Clark's shoulders on the dance floor.

Hard to compete with football star, that handsome, and known to date Miss Universe...needless to say I never had a chance after that. I did get an extra beer though.

Cheers to you Dwight...even the non Clemson non 49er fans remember watching 'the catch.'

UPDATE: this is pull quote from the SI article:
"The receiver is best remembered for The Catch, but longtime Niners fans recall other parts of his story: how Clark dated a future Miss Universe and wore a fur coat to the Super Bowl parade, how he sang backup for Huey Lewis and earned the nickname “Hercules,” because to go out on the town with Dwight was to unfailingly come back with a tale to tell. Handsome, successful and charismatic, he seemed to live a charmed life."

Indeed.

What kind of dance was that :cool:?? As a life long Redskin fan, I still rooted for the 49rs when not playing the Skins. Dwight was my favorite on those teams. God bless his family and comfort them during this time.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 08:19 AM
What kind of dance was that :cool:?? As a life long Redskin fan, I still rooted for the 49rs when not playing the Skins. Dwight was my favorite on those teams. God bless his family and comfort them during this time.

I'm not sure the technical term for the dance, but I'm sure it was something like "let's get drunk and party and then go to my place" mating dance....

BTW, Kenny Dennard is said to have lived many similar memories in North Myrtle.....and by that, Kenny was often in Dwight's shoes, not mine...:)

elvis14
06-05-2018, 11:04 AM

As a lifelong Redskins fan, I loved "The Catch" and will forever be happy that he and Joe Montana won that game. As a Clemson alum, it was cool reading that SI article and hearing about how Coach Walsh found Dwight.