PDA

View Full Version : Mens College Baseball Regional Final: Duke- 8 Georgia- 4

Newton_14
06-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Discuss the Regional Win here!

Go Devils!!!

Native
06-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo!

CameronBornAndBred
Baseball School!!!!

DukieInKansas
Not a text book out but I'll take it!

4Gen
How sweet it is. And how deserved.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
WOW!!!!!!! What a great win by our Devils! Congrats for sweeping GA! LGD GTHc!

OldPhiKap
06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Team’s got guts.

Way to go, Devils!!

killerleft
06-04-2018, 08:24 PM
Mitch Stalliings was certainly the key - what an outing against Georgia!! I thought we'd have to do it by committee. Wrong!

duke2x
06-04-2018, 08:24 PM
What a weekend! Congratulations for the longest postseason run since 1961. #6, #7, and now #8 go down to Duke. You're up next, #9. :)

devilish
06-04-2018, 08:25 PM
I’m not a big baseball fan but that was a lot of fun!

pfrduke
06-04-2018, 08:26 PM
After being down 8-1 going into the 7th against Campbell (scoring a total of 1 run in the first 15 innings of regional play), Duke proceeded to score 46 runs over the next 29 innings to win four in a row. What a display of offensive fireworks.

AGDukesky
My 10 yo got to finally see what the coaches have been telling them about rounding first - and it was clinching Duke’s biggest win in my lifetime!

devildeac
What a bounce back to the first baseman on the overthrow and amazing heads-up play to tag the runner out after he crossed the bag on the wrong side of the foul line!!

Newton_14
06-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Man this is really really sweet! Local boy Chris Crabtree introduces himself to the College Baseball world! They pounded on the baseball all weekend after dropping the opener.

Agree Stallings was huge out there in the decisive game tonight!

On to the Super Regionals/Sweet 16 for all the hoops folks!

weezie
06-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Quoting myself but can we have chat for the next game pleeeeeeeezzzeee?

OldPhiKap
06-04-2018, 08:29 PM
My 10 yo got to finally see what the coaches have been telling them about rounding first - and it was clinching Duke’s biggest win in my lifetime!

What a bounce back to the first baseman on the overthrow and amazing heads-up play to tag the runner out after he crossed the bag on the wrong side of the foul line!!

With two outs and down four, it’s not like taking second would be that big a deal for UGA. We likely would have let him steal second and play the defense back anyway. Poor situational awareness on the runner’s part. Easy for me to say from my couch, of course.

duketaylor
06-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Awesome, just awesome!! Very happy!! New era in Duke sports with baseball being relevant!! Congrats to the guys and staff!!!

JBDuke
06-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Two things I wasn't sure I would ever see in my lifetime:

1. Duke in a bowl game
2. Duke advancing in the baseball playoffs

How cool is this?

WakeDevil
06-04-2018, 08:31 PM
Does Bob Knight still coach Texas Tech baseball?

richmclean
06-04-2018, 08:31 PM
What a fun three days! LGD!

richardjackson199
06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Incredible sporting accomplishment! Wow. Pitching, hitting, extraordinary coaching.

Loved the redemption for Stallings! He begged for the start today. And he threw 114 pitches today after pitching 4/13 innings Saturday. Just insane. He finished it by striking out Georgia's best hitter with a runner on.

Crabtree what 9/12 at one point in the regional? Conine knocking balls over the scoreboard, hitting balls higher and farther than any college kid you'll ever see? Just wow.

Duke's bullpen stats and hitting stats since the 7th inning of the Campbell game are literally unbelievable.

I hope they just started playing loose with nothing to lose and rode the momentum wave. Keep it up! I thought we were dead in the water down 8-1 in the seventh to Campbell and needing to win 4 games in a row (including that one).

Duke was down by 7 (Campbell), down by 4 (Troy), down by 3 to Georgia, and down by 2 to Georgia. Won them all! Before the regional, Duke's biggest comeback THIS SEASON was 3.

Coach has to think about starting Stinson and Jarvis against TTU.

Go Duke!

Off to Lubbock!!

CameronBornAndBred
06-04-2018, 08:34 PM
Two things I wasn't sure I would ever see in my lifetime:

1. Duke in a bowl game
2. Duke advancing in the baseball playoffs

How cool is this?

And now both within same academic year. Hmm...next season within same calendar year? :cool:

chrishoke
06-04-2018, 08:42 PM
As Bob would have said, how sweet it is!

OldPhiKap
06-04-2018, 08:42 PM
And now both within same academic year. Hmm...next season within same calendar year? :cool:

Well, this year out bowl will be after New Year’s Eve. So . . . .

DukieInKansas
06-04-2018, 08:43 PM
When I got in the car this am, Devil Went Down to Georgia was playing. Can Charlie Daniels please do a re-make on the song for next weekend?

CameronBornAndBred
06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Well, this year out bowl will be after New Year’s Eve. So . . . .

Zactly

HereBeforeCoachK
06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
I wonder what the odds would've been during the rain delay versus Campbell, one loss already, and down 8-1?

A thousand to one against? More? Un-freaking-believable.

OldPhiKap
06-04-2018, 08:45 PM
When I got in the car this am, Devil Went Down to Georgia was playing. Can Charlie Daniels please do a re-make on the song for next weekend?

Done:

https://youtu.be/L0XUTD7QYcs

CameronBornAndBred
06-04-2018, 08:48 PM
I wonder what the odds would've been during the rain delay versus Campbell, one loss already, and down 8-1?

Would have been a safe pie in most kitchens.

killerleft
06-04-2018, 08:48 PM
As Bob would have said, how sweet it is!

Maybe he did!

HereBeforeCoachK
06-04-2018, 08:53 PM
Great video imbedded in this tweet from NCAA....you can see Georgia wilt after Griff knocked the evuh luvin you know what out of this one...

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-georgia/17604365/

Newton_14
06-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Quoting myself but can we have chat for the next game pleeeeeeeezzzeee?

I think we can oblige that request, yes!

WakeDevil
06-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Conine the Barbarian. He'll be back.

camion
06-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Wow! I mean just wow!! Congratulations to the team. They were resilient and now they're super.

I must admit I didn't watch the early innings of the games. I didn't have enough BP medication.

75Crazie
06-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Has there ever been a more propitious storm?

Mabdul Doobakus
06-04-2018, 09:29 PM
I was in the gym Saturday and saw we were down 5-0 in an elimination game, and my only thoughts were only "oh cool, we made the postseason" and "I had no idea we were any good". I just assumed we went on to lose that game so imagine my surprise just now at the gym to see on the TV that we made it to the Super Regional. I'll definitely be paying attention from here on.

burnspbesq
06-04-2018, 09:34 PM
With apologies to Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmore, we are ...

DURHAM TO LUBBOCK BOUND!

OZ
06-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Mitch Stalliings was certainly the key - what an outing against Georgia!! I thought we'd have to do it by committee. Wrong!

The interview with Pollard revealed that was also his plan. However, a game of a life time by Stallings removed the necessity of that plan.

miramar
06-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Great video imbedded in this tweet from NCAA...you can see Georgia wilt after Griff knocked the evuh luvin you know what out of this one...

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-georgia/17604365/

Three home runs today after 11 strikeouts in the series.

OZ
06-04-2018, 10:46 PM
I love amateur baseball... high school, American Legion and college. Since I graduated from Duke in 1967, I have dreamed of us having a baseball program that was at least competitive. Finally!
I have loved this team. With ESPN, ESPN3 and Watch, I've watched about every game. They have been fun to watch.
I know there are more popular sports, thus more popular wins; but to me, this (these) win(s) today ranked with the best of them. I have never been prouder of a Duke team.

sagegrouse
06-04-2018, 10:58 PM

I said to myself, five chances out one thousand. Very slight chance of winning the Campbell game and the need to win three more in a row, the last two against a team that had had some rest.

jimsumner
06-04-2018, 11:02 PM
I said to myself, five chances out one thousand. Very slight chance of winning the Campbell game and the need to win three more in a row, the last two against a team that had had some rest.

Wouldn't it have been easier if you had said to yourself, one chance in two hundred? :)

OZ
06-04-2018, 11:05 PM
NCAA ATHENS REGIONAL ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
P: Mitch Stallings, Duke
P: Corey Childress, Troy
C: Chris Proctor, Duke
DH: Chris Crabtree, Duke
1B: Adam Sasser, Georgia
2B: Max Miller, Duke
3B: Drew Federic, Troy
SS: Zack Kone, Duke
OF: Griffin Conine, Duke
OF: Keegan McGovern, Georgia
OF: Joey Denison, Troy
Most Outstanding Player: Chris Crabtree, Duke

CameronBornAndBred
06-04-2018, 11:07 PM
Most Outstanding Player: Chris Crabtree, Duke
So well deserved, and wow!

53n206
06-04-2018, 11:09 PM
These guys are good,

OZ
06-04-2018, 11:20 PM
If I heard correctly, Conine was drafted in the second round (#52) by the Blue Jays. Congratulations to a deserving young man.

Faison1
06-04-2018, 11:31 PM
I am more than impressed!!

Duke is only the 2nd ACC School to advance to the Super Regionals!! And they did it by beating Georgia in a double header!!

Who would have predicted that?!?!

Especially after dropping the opener to Troy!!

Awesome, Guys.....just Awesome!!

sagegrouse
06-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier if you had said to yourself, one chance in two hundred? :)

That is so analog! Actually, the calculations may have been a 5 percent chance to win the Campbell game (five in a hundred) and a ten percent chance (one in ten) to win three more in a row (remember, we were stinking up the joint before the lightning storm delay). Which produces five in a thousand.

Avvocato
06-05-2018, 01:43 AM
My apologies if I missed it, but I wanted to give another shout out to Lobosky. He threw 3 shutout innings to close the first game, then had enough to throw 2 more shutout innings to close out the regional in the second game. That was big time.

4Gen
06-05-2018, 04:14 AM

Actually, Georgia went down to the devil.

OldPhiKap
06-05-2018, 07:32 AM

No, because the comeback was not in the first fifth of the game. If you only count the first two hundred, you overlook the last eight hundred where the five chances dwelt.

Reilly
06-05-2018, 07:59 AM
... the calculations may have been a 5 percent chance to win the Campbell game ...

This tool might help (don't know how good it is and haven't used): https://gregstoll.dyndns.org/~gregstoll/baseball/stats.html#V.0.1.0.1

weezie
06-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Yes, I may be developing a crush on Coach Pollard. :cool: He's pretty cute!

Especially after the warning he unjustly received from the ump who insisted in calling ankle-high throws strikes against our hitters.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Especially after the warning he unjustly received from the ump who insisted in calling ankle-high throws strikes against our hitters.

I'm glad you said that. A month ago, I cut the chord on my cable, which means I am not authorized to watch the ESPN streaming of these games....so i am relegated to that live feed, which is animation. Part of this feed shows the strike zone, and then as the pitches are thrown, they are located on the screen, and labeled "ball" or "strike looking" or "strike swinging" or "in play."

It seemed like a lot of those "strike looking" calls against Duke batters were strangely low. I was suspecting just what you verified for me.

JasonEvans
06-05-2018, 08:23 AM
If I heard correctly, Conine was drafted in the second round (#52) by the Blue Jays. Congratulations to a deserving young man.

Have yourself a day, young man!

Conine hit 3 dingers and became a millionaire on the same day. Not too shabby!

The #52 pick is slotted for a $1.35 mill bonus according to MLB. He is the highest drafted Blue Devil since Marcus Strohman was a first rounder in 2012.

JasonEvans
06-05-2018, 08:35 AM
For every moment of elation, there are other moments of sadness. Check out what happened to Indiana against Texas yesterday.

Bases loaded, 1 out, down by 1 run... this fastball was called strike three (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/indiana-texas-baseball-strike-umpire-video-call-outside-austin-regional-college-baseball?utm_source=outbrain_ftw&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail).

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/screen-shot-2018-06-04-at-12-16-29-pm.jpg?w=1000&h=528

Ouch... if the batter had been a righty, that pitch would have hit him. If that is a strike, I don't know how the pitcher doesn't strike out every single batter.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 08:43 AM
That called third strike against Indiana is the kind of thing that soured me on MLB years ago. There's an arrogance of umps that they have "their strike zone" - and different umps have different strike zones. This guarantees profound inconsistency in umpiring, and that's what we get.

I am very wary of technology imposing on sports....but not totally opposed to it either. Something should be done to clean this up. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this ride of the Devils to the Super Regional....but this remains an ugly flaw in the management of the game IMO.

devildeac
06-05-2018, 08:53 AM
For every moment of elation, there are other moments of sadness. Check out what happened to Indiana against Texas yesterday.

Bases loaded, 1 out, down by 1 run... this fastball was called strike three (https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/indiana-texas-baseball-strike-umpire-video-call-outside-austin-regional-college-baseball?utm_source=outbrain_ftw&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail).

https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/screen-shot-2018-06-04-at-12-16-29-pm.jpg?w=1000&h=528

Ouch... if the batter had been a righty, that pitch would have hit him. If that is a strike, I don't know how the pitcher doesn't strike out every single batter.

Was roger ayres the home plate "ump"?

Yep, I'm still :mad: about the call on WC.

And, Boozer was fouled, too.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 09:08 AM
I love amateur baseball... high school, American Legion and college. Since I graduated from Duke in 1967, I have dreamed of us having a baseball program that was at least competitive. Finally!
I have loved this team. With ESPN, ESPN3 and Watch, I've watched about every game. They have been fun to watch.
I know there are more popular sports, thus more popular wins; but to me, this (these) win(s) today ranked with the best of them. I have never been prouder of a Duke team.

When you consider the hole these guys were in....during the rain delay versus Campbell.....I don't think any Duke team in any sport has ever pulled off such an improbable run. This would be like pulling off the Hill to Laettner play like 3 times in a row.

Makes you wonder if it's one of those "it's our year" kind of situations?

Indoor66
06-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Dickie V must have been the ump and the pitch came in on the"wrong" side!

jwillfan
06-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Dickie V must have been the ump and the pitch came in on the"wrong" side!

I was being charitable at first wondering if the ball might have been a tailing 2-seam fastball and maybe crossed the outside corner on its way to the glove...until I saw the video from the *Umpire's* position. Terrible - never came close to the plate:

https://twitter.com/TheBlogfines/status/1003490470637367296

DukieInKansas
06-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know when game times will be released?

richmclean
06-05-2018, 11:35 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-06-05/eight-super-regional-hosts-announced-2018-ncaa-division-i-baseball

Games are at Saturday 3pm (ESPNU), Sunday 6pm (ESPNU) and if necessary Monday 4pm (ESPN2).

AustinDevil
06-05-2018, 11:36 AM
My apologies if I missed it, but I wanted to give another shout out to Lobosky. He threw 3 shutout innings to close the first game, then had enough to throw 2 more shutout innings to close out the regional in the second game. That was big time.

Labosky is indeed amazing!

Does anyone know when game times will be released?

They have been announced: Saturday at 3 pm EDT on ESPNU, Sunday at 6 pm EDT on ESPNU, and Monday (if needed) at 4 pm EDT on espn2.

That called third strike against Indiana is the kind of thing that soured me on MLB years ago. There's an arrogance of umps that they have "their strike zone" - and different umps have different strike zones. This guarantees profound inconsistency in umpiring, and that's what we get.

I am very wary of technology imposing on sports...but not totally opposed to it either. Something should be done to clean this up. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this ride of the Devils to the Super Regional...but this remains an ugly flaw in the management of the game IMO.

I agree that ump's having their "own" strike zones is annoying. As is different strike zones for the home and away teams, which happens a lot in MLB and I would not be surprised to see happening, in that game, for Texas and against Indiana...

Dev11
06-05-2018, 11:37 AM
As an engaged Washington Nationals fan, I found it jarring to watch a baseball game between a red team and a blue team and root for the blue team, but I figured it out after an inning or so. I also learned the NCAA baseball tournament format, so now I'm totally locked in. Go Duke!

Also, I echo all the comments about the umpires, but I keep in mind that these umpires are probably lower on the totem pole than all of the minor league guys, so I can't expect much. Still, Georgia was howling about the zone for a decent chunk of the second game.

pfrduke
06-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Super Regional map. There was lots of bordering territory consolidation in the regional rounds - will be less of that in this round.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1751/28714404878_390e6144b3_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KKoQbb)

wilson
06-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Go Devils! I look forward to a measure of revenge for Steve Spurrier’s underwhelming Blue Devil swan song.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Go Devils! I look forward to a measure of revenge for Steve Spurrier’s underwhelming Blue Devil swan song.

Ah, where the red hot David Brown was benched because Billy Ray came back from injury? I thought that was Spurrier's worst decision. I know Billy Ray only lost his job to injury, but it was under Brown that the offense came alive and secured the bowl bid.

killerleft
06-05-2018, 12:23 PM
As an engaged Washington Nationals fan, I found it jarring to watch a baseball game between a red team and a blue team and root for the blue team, but I figured it out after an inning or so. I also learned the NCAA baseball tournament format, so now I'm totally locked in. Go Duke!

Also, I echo all the comments about the umpires, but I keep in mind that these umpires are probably lower on the totem pole than all of the minor league guys, so I can't expect much. Still, Georgia was howling about the zone for a decent chunk of the second game.

Duke was howling, too. Those SEC homers announcing the game (guessing here but it sure sounded that way) didn't seem too interested in Duke until the very end.

devildeac
06-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Duke was howling, too. Those SEC homers announcing the game (guessing here but it sure sounded that way) didn't seem too interested in Duke until the very end.

Yep. Weezie mentioned above that Pollard even got a warning for "arguing" the strikes routinely called on Duke hitters when the pitches were about ankle level :eek:.

richmclean
06-05-2018, 12:37 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-06-05/eight-super-regional-hosts-announced-2018-ncaa-division-i-baseball

Games are at Saturday 3pm (ESPNU), Sunday 6pm (ESPNU) and if necessary Monday 4pm (ESPN2).

LGD.

budwom
06-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Yep. Weezie mentioned above that Pollard even got a warning for "arguing" the strikes routinely called on Duke hitters when the pitches were about ankle level :eek:.

He also got called for "commenting" when the first base ump ruled a Duke batter had not checked his swing (bad call).
As for the announcers, how many Duke home runs began with a casual "and there's a fly ball to center field.......".....d'oh!

DukieInKansas
06-05-2018, 12:41 PM

--Correction: 3rd game would be Sunday at 4 if necessary.

That's an interesting correction. 3rd game before the 2nd game if it is necessary. ;)

I'm guessing this means a double header on Sunday if a 3rd game is necessary.

Thanks for the times.

Highlander
06-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Very proud of what this team and coaching staff has accomplished. Chris Pollard has rebuilt the program into a regular contender, and I hope he gets a nice bump at the end of the season.

I've never was a baseball fan until my sister married a D2 baseball coach. My brother in law is a good friend of several Duke coaches. Sis noted JJ has been recruiting his arse off, and Dusty has been a nice addition coming from D2 Pfeiffer near Salisbury (after the school dropped the team to D3). They were both very happy to see them all succeed at the D1 level.

kmspeaks
06-05-2018, 12:53 PM

I am very wary of technology imposing on sports...but not totally opposed to it either. Something should be done to clean this up. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this ride of the Devils to the Super Regional...but this remains an ugly flaw in the management of the game IMO.

I can't find a good, logical reason not to use technology to call balls and strikes but it still gives me an uneasy feeling. One thing that could help, and I have written about this several times in basketball threads when people bring up how refs are constantly evaluated but now I'm glad we get to see an actual baseball example, is to bring transparency to the evaluation process. Umpires are selected for Regionals based on recommendations by conference assigners and evaluations done during Conference and NCAA Tournament games. These evaluations used to be shared with the umpires but have been kept secret for the last 15 or so years. I don't know what the official reason given was but unofficially it was so conference assigners could reward umpires who pay $$$ to attend their camps every winter with Regional assignments regardless of their actual skill. Now we don't know if this guy is actually a good umpire who just made a huge mistake at a crucial moment or if he routinely misses pitches like this, and we never will because everything is super secret.

This is not necessarily true. The path to becoming a Major League Baseball umpire is not a linear one from youth leagues to high school to college to the minors. Minor League umpires attend Pro School, usually when they are very young like 22-25, then proceed to the lowest level of minor league baseball and work their way up. In college baseball you have a mixture of guys who started out doing rec league/high school and worked their way up as well as pro school guys who switched over from the minors for a variety of reasons. Some don't like the travel and advancement can be difficult since turnover is low at the higher levels because you can umpire for a loooong time. The best college umpires are probably better than almost all of the Rookie and A guys because most of them have been doing it for much longer. The best at AA and AAA are probably roughly equal with the top college guys.

CameronBornAndBred
06-05-2018, 01:18 PM

I enjoyed every "Georgia has never lost a regional at home". If it were a drinking game, I woulda passed out before the second game started.

weezie
06-05-2018, 02:22 PM
...There's an arrogance of umps that they have "their strike zone" - and different umps have different strike zones. This guarantees profound inconsistency in umpiring, and that's what we get...

PREACH Brother! Especially in these college games, the umping is all over the place. Reminds me of the block/charge baloney on the other thread.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 02:25 PM
I enjoyed every "Georgia has never lost a regional at home". If it were a drinking game, I woulda passed out before the second game started.

Your drinking game comment reminded me of this hilarious scene. Was it something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWhwNN7Gyw

jimsumner
06-05-2018, 03:01 PM
From Duke press release.

"For the first time in school history, Duke has two players taken in the top three rounds after the Chicago Cubs selected junior outfielder Jimmy Herron in the third round (No. 98 overall) of the 2018 Major League Baseball First Year Player Draft.

Herron is the seventh Blue Devil drafted in the third round or higher, joining classmate Griffin Conine who was picked by the Toronto Blue Jays in the second round (No. 52 overall) of this year’s draft.

Starting and batting leadoff in all 60 games this season, Herron owns a .298 batting average while totaling 18 doubles, five home runs, 59 runs scored, 33 RBI and 22 stolen bases. He has walked 15 more times than he’s struck out and leads Duke with a .416 on base percentage.

A two-time All-ACC pick, Herron is the first Blue Devil to total 50 or more doubles and 50 or more stolen bases in a career. For his career, Herron ranks in the top 25 at Duke in batting average, on base percentage, doubles, walks and stolen bases."

Selected by the Yankees in the 31st round of the 2017 MLB Draft, Herron was tabbed to the Baseball America Preseason All-America third team after electing to return to Duke for his junior season. During the summer of 2017, he earned Cape Cod League East Division MVP accolades, hitting .343 with 11 doubles, four homers, 22 RBI and 15 stolen bases with the Orleans Firebirds.

CDu
06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Herron is the second Devil picked in recent years by the Cubs. They took Bailey Clark a few years ago.

HereBeforeCoachK
06-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Great story on WRAL website....the video imbedded in a Duke tweet is awesome.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/-character-fight-helps-blue-devils-advance-to-1st-ncaa-super-regional/17605852/

Bob Green
06-05-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm guessing this means a double header on Sunday if a 3rd game is necessary.

No double header per ESPN:

Saturday, June 9
Duke vs. Texas Tech, 3 p.m., ESPNU

Sunday, June 10
Texas Tech vs. Duke, 6 p.m., ESPN2

Monday, June 11
Duke vs. Texas Tech, 4 p.m., ESPN2 (if necessary)

Rich McClean was correct in his initial post.

House G
06-05-2018, 08:12 PM

This pitch was also called strike 3 on Loperfido with 2 men on in the 9th lol.
https://gfycat.com/ElasticBlackandwhiteFerret

jwillfan
06-05-2018, 08:58 PM

Absolutely - I remember that, was an awful called strike. He threw his bat because he knew it was ball 4. Just shook his head - credit to him and the team culture for keeping a level head and just shaking his head. Good thing it didn't matter in the end.

All day Monday and into today - I keep glowing over what a weekend, what an accomplishment for this team and the coaching staff. Duke is in the elite, final 16 teams in the country with a chance to make it to the CWS in Omaha. Who woulda thunk it? Props to Coach Pollard, what an amazing hire.

devildeac
06-05-2018, 10:31 PM

Good golly, that's awful.

buddy
06-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Good golly, that's awful.

Would have been a ball to a right handed batter. That umpire had trouble all afternoon with outside pitches to left handed hitters. I think this is worse than the Indiana call. In that case, the catcher framed the pitch and the pitcher hit the target. In Loperfido's case the catcher had to reach and the umpire still called a strike. But we won.

duketaylor
06-05-2018, 11:59 PM
I looked at that 3x, how awful was that?