PDA

View Full Version : Satisfaction Closing

hallcity
06-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Satisfaction, a long time favorite restaurant in Durm for Duke fans, is closing.
http://www.newsobserver.com/living/article212325674.html

CameronBornAndBred
06-04-2018, 04:52 PM
So I can't get no, now?
Damn. Another institution lost.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-04-2018, 04:57 PM
No! Thursday Big Beer Night was a staple of my upperclass years at Duke. And I remember going there with my freshman orientation group the first week of school. What a shame.

flyingdutchdevil
06-04-2018, 05:35 PM
No! Thursday Big Beer Night was a staple of my upperclass years at Duke. And I remember going there with my freshman orientation group the first week of school. What a shame.

Same.

And shame.

The worst pizza, voluminous beer, and great socializing.

I just hope they keep the 'Dillo and P-zads. Oh, wait....

aimo
06-04-2018, 05:48 PM
That truly sucks. And I loved their pizza. All that over-priced, over-hyped mess opening downtown leaving the standards behind. And there is no loyalty with most of these new places. Their owners like to open for a few years then move on to something new. Not too many oldies left. Wish I had known so I could have made one last trip.

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-04-2018, 06:06 PM
Now you "can't get no ---- satisfaction."
Love, Ima

freshmanjs
06-04-2018, 06:07 PM
That truly sucks. And I loved their pizza. All that over-priced, over-hyped mess opening downtown leaving the standards behind. And there is no loyalty with most of these new places. Their owners like to open for a few years then move on to something new. Not too many oldies left. Wish I had known so I could have made one last trip.

I think the new downtown is great. Lots of really excellent restaurants.

dukelifer
06-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Now you "can't get no ---- satisfaction."
Love, Ima

You can’t always get what you want.

Reilly
06-04-2018, 06:45 PM
When did it move to Brightleaf?

I saw Conner Vernon there w/ his family the night Renfree threw five INTs against Army (in case we needed a Duke sports hook to keep on this board).

duketaylor
06-04-2018, 07:10 PM
What year did it open? I think it was about my freshman year. Watched many a game there, had many za's and pitchers.

BigWayne
06-04-2018, 07:28 PM
What year did it open? I think it was about my freshman year. Watched many a game there, had many za's and pitchers.

Says in the article, 1982. Original location was in the Lakewood shopping center. It took advantage of the new mixed drink laws passed in 1979.

uh_no
06-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Same.

And shame.

The worst pizza, voluminous beer, and great socializing.

I just hope they keep the 'Dillo and P-zads. Oh, wait...

but the hot Buffalo wings!!!

luvdahops
06-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Says in the article, 1982. Original location was in the Lakewood shopping center. It took advantage of the new mixed drink laws passed in 1979.

I was there in the beginning :)

Shame to see this. It was still a regular stop for me when I was back in town, but it seemed increasingly clear that time had begun to pass the place by. There is undoubtedly more action - and more options - downtown these days, especially for millenials. But I really hope that stretch of "gateway" spots along West Main Street will stay generally viable.

budwom
06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Nobody went there in recent years because it was too crowded.

UrinalCake
06-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Nobody went there in recent years because it was too crowded.

LOL, that was my thought too. I stopped trying to go there years ago, because in my memory it was always so crowded that I could never get a table. I think one of their problems was that they couldn't attract enough traffic during non-game times.

In related news, Spanky's restaurant in Chapel Hill recently closed as well. They were kind of the equivalent of Sati's, an institution right on Franklin Street that had been there forever. Tough news for the restaurant world.

duke79
06-05-2018, 10:17 AM
LOL, that was my thought too. I stopped trying to go there years ago, because in my memory it was always so crowded that I could never get a table. I think one of their problems was that they couldn't attract enough traffic during non-game times.

In related news, Spanky's restaurant in Chapel Hill recently closed as well. They were kind of the equivalent of Sati's, an institution right on Franklin Street that had been there forever. Tough news for the restaurant world.

Sad news about Spanky's......I used to go there quite often in the late 70's and early 80's. Very good burgers (and often quite a few comely UNC women too!!).

freshmanjs
06-05-2018, 10:43 AM

This is a bit different. Same owners are opening a new concept in the space. Not sure that's sad. They felt it was time for a refresh. Southern comfort food concept. Personally, I think it looks much better than Spanky's.

BLPOG
06-05-2018, 10:52 AM

The crowd at Big Beers totally died off a couple years after I graduated ('12). I think around 2015 they actually stopped offering that deal on Thursdays.

I'm not sure exactly why the student interest fell off beforehand. In part it's undoubtedly because of new and better places that opened downtown. Options were pretty limited for a long time. It also became easier to get to those places because of Uber/ride-sharing apps (sure, we all had cab numbers in our phones before but who as a student wanted to get ripped off or carry a ton of cash or split the bill between passengers?). It might also be a consequence of Duke forcing the social scene off campus; while that might initially seem like it would increase the number of people at a bar, many the "new" potential patrons would not be of legal drinking age, which means an increase in the off-campus party scene, not necessarily the bar scene, which could then draw from the pool of bar-goers.

The food at Satisfaction was terrible but even so I'll always have special memories of eating there. I ate with my parents at the table next to Coach K and a couple of assistants (I think it was Wojo and Collins, but it's been a while) around 2000. Even better was when ESPN filmed the special about the back-to-back '91/'92 champions and half of the '92 team were at the adjacent table, watching old games on the TV and recording commentary for the film crew.

I miss Big Beers.

elvis14
06-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Well that's a bummer. Satisfaction's owner Staton Ellis used to live in my neighborhood and our daughters did the Y-Guides program together. Hope he lands on his feet.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-05-2018, 11:10 AM
The crowd at Big Beers totally died off a couple years after I graduated ('12). I think around 2015 they actually stopped offering that deal on Thursdays.

I'm not sure exactly why the student interest fell off beforehand. In part it's undoubtedly because of new and better places that opened downtown. Options were pretty limited for a long time. It also became easier to get to those places because of Uber/ride-sharing apps (sure, we all had cab numbers in our phones before but who as a student wanted to get ripped off or carry a ton of cash or split the bill between passengers?). It might also be a consequence of Duke forcing the social scene off campus; while that might initially seem like it would increase the number of people at a bar, many the "new" potential patrons would not be of legal drinking age, which means an increase in the off-campus party scene, not necessarily the bar scene, which could then draw from the pool of bar-goers.

The food at Satisfaction was terrible but even so I'll always have special memories of eating there. I ate with my parents at the table next to Coach K and a couple of assistants (I think it was Wojo and Collins, but it's been a while) around 2000. Even better was when ESPN filmed the special about the back-to-back '91/'92 champions and half of the '92 team were at the adjacent table, watching old games on the TV and recording commentary for the film crew.

I miss Big Beers.

I was at Duke in the 90s. Nan was shifting the social scene off campus but on campus was still significant. One generally didn't go much further downtown than Sat's - if you were adventurous and in a group, you could walk even there (walking home after a few big beers was not advisable). The pizza was adequate. Senior year it was the place to go on Thursday nights to catch up with random friends. We still had The Hideaway (RIP), so that was another easy option. Local places like Sat's and He's Not Here in Chapel Hill are what college is supposed to be all about - you have the rest of your life to drink craft beers and eat international cuisine.

Now get off my lawn...

wilson
06-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Add mine to the chorus of voices who see this as a real bummer. I always thought Sati’s pizza was about a B—good not great, but reliable and tasty enough. The non-pizza items were my go-to’s...I recall the Bob’s Birdie, in particular, being a delectable sandwich.
On the other hand, I’m not so against the rise of various dining, nightlife, etc. options downtown. I’ve really enjoyed experiencing Durham’s renaissance as a returning alum.

throatybeard
06-05-2018, 12:38 PM
One generally didn't go much further downtown than Sat's - if you were adventurous and in a group, you could walk even there (walking home after a few big beers was not advisable).

Who is "one?" I spent plenty of time east of that when I lived in Durham. Including in east Durham.

Also, on Facebook, you see a lot of reflexive, infantile blaming of Millennials for, well, everything, but restaurants that people my age and older like closing is high atop the list. But it's worth mentioning that young people in many OECD countries don't put away nearly as much alcohol as previous generations did at the same ages. The Economist regularly reports on that. Social life is not coterminous with alcohol consumption.

Anecdotally, almost all of my bar scene hanging out occurs at two bars where I'm friends with a bartender. It's striking to watch the crowd age at the WashU-adjacent one, in the last decade. Oh, there are some 21-23yo people. WashU types can afford this place even at young ages. But the median age of the crowd seems to go up annually. I'm 41 and I'm in the middle all the time now. It isn't overrun with young people. Nor are the other bars. Ten years ago, you could barely move Saturday night for all the college/professional school kids at this place.

Indoor66
06-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Why is this thread not on the Off-Topic Board?

devilish
06-05-2018, 02:33 PM

I’m not sure, but around 10 years ago Staton told me he handled all the post game meals for the team. I was shocked that they didn’t have a little better nutrition plan than that.

uh_no
06-05-2018, 02:46 PM

I miss Big Beers.

they definitely never stopped big beers.

flyingdutchdevil
06-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Because I watched plenty a tournament game in Sati's.

Turk
06-05-2018, 03:57 PM
I want a piece of the VW bug. I'm not greedy, glad to share. A bumper will do quite nicely, if you please.

Indoor66
06-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Because I watched plenty a tournament game in Sati's.

Yeah and I went to the original location on Gregson St. as Satisfaction and as Mayola's. Still, why not on Off Topic?

BLPOG
06-05-2018, 04:28 PM
they definitely never stopped big beers.

While visiting (I think this was in fall 2016) I was told by undergraduates that they had. While I would normally readily believe that those darn youngsters couldn't manage to provide accurate information, it made sense to me given that the prior time I visited I'd gone on a Thursday night around 11 PM. The atmosphere was dead and there was a notable lack of $4.50-for-a-32-oz-cup deals waiting for me.

So I want to believe you, but I'm not sure I should. I know they used to have the deal even when most students were gone for the summer, but maybe they progressively phased it out or I went on odd night. The decline in Big Beers attendance started a few years earlier, though. Whenever I made it back to Durham on a Thursday night I'd check it out and I remember being shocked at how few people were there starting in 2014.

BLPOG
06-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Sticky Thread: Welcome to DBR! (Please read this at least once) (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32357-Welcome-to-DBR!-(Please-read-this-at-least-once))

You'll mostly find Duke topics, as well as general college sports and other basketball topics, on the EK Board. Pretty much everything else goes in Off-Topic.

I could make a list of ways that Satisfaction qualifies as a Duke topic, but really, what's the point? It's obvious why the thread is on the EK Board.

UrinalCake
06-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Still, why not on Off Topic?

Because it’s a memorable part of the Duke basketball watching experience for many of us, because the story could be of interest to a large number of readers and many of them don’t frequent the off topic board, but most importantly because it’s the summer and there’s not much else to talk about.

uh_no
06-05-2018, 06:32 PM
While visiting (I think this was in fall 2016) I was told by undergraduates that they had. While I would normally readily believe that those darn youngsters couldn't manage to provide accurate information, it made sense to me given that the prior time I visited I'd gone on a Thursday night around 11 PM. The atmosphere was dead and there was a notable lack of $4.50-for-a-32-oz-cup deals waiting for me.

So I want to believe you, but I'm not sure I should. I know they used to have the deal even when most students were gone for the summer, but maybe they progressively phased it out or I went on odd night. The decline in Big Beers attendance started a few years earlier, though. Whenever I made it back to Durham on a Thursday night I'd check it out and I remember being shocked at how few people were there starting in 2014.

shrug. ive been going there on Thursdays about once a month up till now... I'm sure others on this board can vouch for the fact that i actually do live in Durham and am a reliable source...

BLPOG
06-05-2018, 07:59 PM
shrug. ive been going there on Thursdays about once a month up till now... I'm sure others on this board can vouch for the fact that i actually do live in Durham and am a reliable source...

Ok, I believe you. But now I have to accept that I didn't even try to go the last time I was in town because I incorrectly thought they'd retired Big Beers. How can I live with this regret? :( :( :(

OldPhiKap
06-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Ok, I believe you. But now I have to accept that I didn't even try to go the last time I was in town because I incorrectly thought they'd retired Big Beers. How can I live with this regret? :( :( :(

Heavy drinking, obviously.

msdukie
06-05-2018, 10:46 PM
I want a piece of the VW bug. I'm not greedy, glad to share. A bumper will do quite nicely, if you please.

Me too. I'd also take the ram's head that was donated by the Blue Devil.

rsvman
06-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Dang! Not being able to get into Cameron, I used to go to Sati's to watch big games, once in a while, anyway. I have some fond memories.

Although I moved away from Durham 18 years ago, I was last there for a pre-season game a couple of years ago, the one in which Grayson Allen went off for 33 points (I think?). It was his highest scoring game up to that point in time. Why would I go all the way to Durham and to Sati's for a pre-season game, you ask? My son, who was away in college at Brigham Young, managed to snag a ticket to that game. He had never been to a game in Cameron before, so we drove down there. He went to the game, and I called up one of my old friends, who met me at Sati's.

IrishDevil
06-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Heavy drinking, obviously.

You better listen, BLPOG, he's pre-med.

BLPOG
06-06-2018, 12:01 AM

You better listen, BLPOG, he's pre-med.

Isn't the shuttering of Satis an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

As an aside, my favorite part of the movie, which I never really internalized until college, is the scene involving a beer can thrown at a projection screen and the line "We need the dues!"

And in defense of my earlier recollection, I had dinner with two Duke alumni tonight and discussed the end of Satisfaction. One of them corroborated my own experience, so maybe we visited during an unusual period. Regardless, we drank a couple of much more expensive big beers in memoriam.

billy
06-06-2018, 12:50 AM
When did it move to Brightleaf?

It moved around Christmas-time in 1992/1993. I used to work there (1991-1993) and watched the '92 Duke/UK semifinal game there (while working). One minute it was super quiet, with quite a few people crying, the next minute it was pandemonium, and then everyone was gone to campus in a flash at the buzzer.

aimo
06-06-2018, 09:10 AM
It moved around Christmas-time in 1992/1993. I used to work there (1991-1993) and watched the '92 Duke/UK semifinal game there (while working). One minute it was super quiet, with quite a few people crying, the next minute it was pandemonium, and then everyone was gone to campus in a flash at the buzzer.

We TRIED to watch that game at Sats that night, but there was a line out the door. Ended up watching it on a teeny tiny screen at the Hideaway. When Sats moved, they probably quadrupled their space. It was a great place to watch Duke basketball.

follyblue
06-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Bummer. I will never forget dancing on the tables there after Phil Henderson dunked on Alonzo Mourning. Good times, especially for grad students that wanted to get a way from campus.

flyingdutchdevil
06-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Bummer. I will never forget dancing on the tables there after Phil Henderson dunked on Alonzo Mourning. Good times, especially for grad students that wanted to get a way from campus.

Times have changed. Satis has been undergrad dominant since the mid 2000s

Turk
06-06-2018, 02:59 PM

I will never forget dancing in the aisles of the Meadowlands after Phil dunked on Mourning. Even better, I came back to work on Monday, xeroxed a few dozen pics of the dunk from the WaPo, and plastered them on every exposed surface of my colleague's workspace, who as a passionate GTown alum, was woofing it up big time beforehand. Good times!

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Sticky Thread: Welcome to DBR! (Please read this at least once) (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?32357-Welcome-to-DBR!-(Please-read-this-at-least-once))

I could make a list of ways that Satisfaction qualifies as a Duke topic, but really, what's the point? It's obvious why the thread is on the EK Board.

Because King Rice still sucks.

OldPhiKap
06-07-2018, 12:56 PM

This point cannot be emphasized enough.

Zeke
06-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Pizza in Durham has never been the same since Anna Marie's (aka BAT'S). Within easy walking distance of East Campus, almost all Duke students, Anna Marie in the kitchen and Bat (her husband) playing guitar and taking money for pizza with billing on the honor system. Prices were pretty cheap too. Surely a good spot for Duke students.

duke96
06-08-2018, 12:10 PM
I was at Duke in the 90s. Nan was shifting the social scene off campus but on campus was still significant. One generally didn't go much further downtown than Sat's - if you were adventurous and in a group, you could walk even there (walking home after a few big beers was not advisable). The pizza was adequate. Senior year it was the place to go on Thursday nights to catch up with random friends. We still had The Hideaway (RIP), so that was another easy option. Local places like Sat's and He's Not Here in Chapel Hill are what college is supposed to be all about - you have the rest of your life to drink craft beers and eat international cuisine.

Now get off my lawn...

Man I STILL miss the Hideaway. That was truly a loss.

CameronBornAndBred
06-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Pizza in Durham has never been the same since Anna Marie's (aka BAT'S). Within easy walking distance of East Campus, almost all Duke students, Anna Marie in the kitchen and Bat (her husband) playing guitar and taking money for pizza with billing on the honor system. Prices were pretty cheap too. Surely a good spot for Duke students.

I don't remember the food much, but I remember reading the comic books they had.

aimo
06-08-2018, 12:27 PM
When I was little, the corner of Broad and Main (where Whole Foods is now) was an A&P, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and a German restaurant. Seems to me the KFC was a bigger one than usual, part of the strip.

jimmymax
06-08-2018, 12:45 PM
What about the filthy lyrics Bat used to sing to the women? Hard to imagine that today.

The bar by the A&P was the Hoffbrau, I believe. As a frosh on East I was amazed the A&P sold beer. Coming from NJ I found that very civilized.

News today that Durham lost another long time dining venue. Nana's is closing -- sick of being flooded...

HaveFunExpectToWin
06-08-2018, 01:24 PM
This point cannot be emphasized enough.

I remember reading this scratched into the paint in the bathroom. I always liked Sats after that.

budwom
06-08-2018, 01:26 PM
When I was little, the corner of Broad and Main (where Whole Foods is now) was an A&P, Kentucky Fried Chicken, and a German restaurant. Seems to me the KFC was a bigger one than usual, part of the strip.

we may be thinking of different eras, but if the restaurant you're referring to was The Hofbrau, it was an ultra basic beer joint, the German name notwithstanding...forgettable but convenient.
Would have been better if had been a German restaurant...

Reilly
06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
... the restaurant you're referring to was The Hofbrau, it was an ultra basic beer joint, the German name notwithstanding...forgettable but convenient ...

Not sure of its name -- may very well have been the The Hofbrau at that time; think it was -- but the dive place at that now-Whole Foods location I went to had zero other students there the only time my roommate and I stopped in, and while we were there, a full-fledged bar brawl broke out, and the bartender came from behind the bar wielding a baseball bat to restore order. I don't think the dispute was over the Oxford comma.

follyblue
06-08-2018, 03:40 PM

Quoted for truth.

AtlDuke72
06-08-2018, 04:37 PM
What about the filthy lyrics Bat used to sing to the women? Hard to imagine that today.

The bar by the A&P was the Hoffbrau, I believe. As a frosh on East I was amazed the A&P sold beer. Coming from NJ I found that very civilized.

News today that Durham lost another long time dining venue. Nana's is closing -- sick of being flooded...

Hofbrau was the beer joint to go to in 1968 and for a few years after that. The real slice of Durham night life back then was Foy’s Grill for ham and cheese omelettes at 1 am. Had to be careful not to get in the path of Dick Biddle.

Reilly
06-08-2018, 08:42 PM
... The real slice of Durham night life back then was Foy’s Grill ...

This looks like a neat site:

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/1103-12-west-chapel-hill-street-foys-grill

DU82
06-08-2018, 09:03 PM

I agree, and many at Monmouth would say me too.

Steven43
06-08-2018, 10:31 PM
IBut I really hope that stretch of "gateway" spots along West Main Street will stay generally viable.
What are the gateway spots along West Main?

budwom
06-09-2018, 06:22 AM
Hofbrau was the beer joint to go to in 1968 and for a few years after that. The real slice of Durham night life back then was Foy’s Grill for ham and cheese omelettes at 1 am. Had to be careful not to get in the path of Dick Biddle.

Getting in Dick's path was like getting in the path of a dyspeptic rhino. Scary any time, especially 1 a.m.....Foy's and the various other late night spots (Toddle House?) had a fine mixture of students, cops, hookers, and various other entities...

DrChainsaw
06-09-2018, 07:54 AM
This looks like a neat site:

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/1103-12-west-chapel-hill-street-foys-grill

Really cool site. I could see spending/wasting a whole lot of time there...

luvdahops
06-09-2018, 12:19 PM
What are the gateway spots along West Main?

Spots like the Federal, James Joyce, Devine’s, Social Games and Brews. Basically across from or adjacent to Brightleaf.

DU82
06-09-2018, 10:07 PM

The Hoffbrau sponsored our softball team in 1983/84. Decent pizza along with the beer (I drank the ice tea.) It closed in 1984 (IIRC) due to a underground gasoline leak from the station on the corner, where Mad Hatter is now. Being in the basement was not a good location for that. :-)

Reilly
06-09-2018, 10:22 PM
The Hoffbrau ... closed in 1984 (IIRC) due to a underground gasoline leak ...

Maybe just temporarily? Still open in early 1990s per comments here: http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/west-durham-ap-tops-ginos-haufbrau-whole-foods-etc and I believe I was there after 1984 for my baseball bat fight.

uh_no
06-09-2018, 10:37 PM
for those that didn't see, Nana's is also closing. One of the top notch places in durham IMO.

Papa John
06-10-2018, 11:37 AM
for those that didn't see, Nana's is also closing. One of the top notch places in durham IMO.

Wow... Nana's and the Magnolia Grill were my wife and my favorite restaurants in Durham when we lived down there (over a decade ago now... jeez, time flies). Sad to see such fabulous restaurants go. We enjoyed Pop's, too, which was a newer addition back then... Are the Cosmic Cantina and Francesca's still there?

jimmymax
06-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Cosmic is. Francesca's closed recently.

aimo
06-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Cosmic is. Francesca's closed recently.

They keep upping the rent on 9th St.

DU82
06-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Maybe just temporarily? Still open in early 1990s per comments here: http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/west-durham-ap-tops-ginos-haufbrau-whole-foods-etc and I believe I was there after 1984 for my baseball bat fight.

The owner of the strip center bought him out because of the gasoline leak. I think in the '90s somebody cleaned it up, but that was past our playing days (on that team, at least. My knees survived playing until much later.) We switched to being sponsored by Pizza Palace in '85 or '86.

The author of the web piece said he remembered it in '88, but never went it. I believe the signage and entrance remained, but it was definitely closed. So that's probably what he remembered.

uh_no
06-10-2018, 02:12 PM
They keep upping the rent on 9th St.

the rent is going up everywhere. i'm sure these won't be the last of the classic places to go by the wayside.

Reilly
06-10-2018, 04:22 PM
... The author of the web piece said he remembered it in '88, but never went it. I believe the signage and entrance remained, but it was definitely closed ...

Here's the first comment:

Permalink Submitted by David on Fri, 07/24/2009 - 6:01am
I can add a few detail about the denouement. The Hofbrau was definitely there in the fall of 1991, ...

And that jives with my own memory -- it was definitely later than '84 or '88 when I was there for the baseball bat fight.

OldPhiKap
06-10-2018, 05:30 PM
So . . . I’m guessing that the Bread and Board Cafe is long gone?

Reilly
06-10-2018, 06:03 PM
So . . . I’m guessing that the Bread and Board Cafe is long gone?

http://www.opendurham.org/buildings/740-742-ninth

Turk
06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Perhaps time to rename this thread "Durham: Things That Aren't There Anymore"?

Indoor66
06-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Annamaria's! 'Nuff said.

uh_no
06-11-2018, 11:12 AM
Annamaria's! 'Nuff said.

senior laden starting lineups

brevity
06-11-2018, 12:10 PM

senior laden starting lineups

That’s not fair! North Carolina Central University plays in Durham, and they might have a senior-laden starting lineup.

BLPOG
06-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Biscuit King

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Forests and farms!

Now all replaced with concrete malls and condos.

uh_no
06-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Forests and farms!

Now all replaced with concrete malls and condos.

george's garage
triangle brewing (RIP triangle belgian golden ale)
chamas

jimmymax
06-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Biscuit King is missed (primarily location) but Biscuitville ain't bad.

Strangely, the Triangle Brewing sign is still illuminated each night despite the space having been empty for years.

Anyone remember Villa Donna (up Guess Rd)? Regular coupons in Chronicle made it a sweet deal for undergrads.

uh_no
06-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Biscuit King is missed (primarily location) but Biscuitville ain't bad.

Strangely, the Triangle Brewing sign is still illuminated each night despite the space having been empty for years.

Anyone remember Villa Donna (up Guess Rd)? Regular coupons in Chronicle made it a sweet deal for undergrads.

i'm not sure what they screwed up so badly. the food, location and beer (at least draught) were decent at the taproom....but the place was always completely empty and had no vibe.

DrChainsaw
06-11-2018, 04:01 PM
george's garage
triangle brewing (RIP triangle belgian golden ale)
chamas

OMG, George’s Garage...

Whatever happens to George Whosywhatsit?

Rich
06-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Anyone remember the name of the record store off 9th Street? It was around in the '80's, I think around the corner from Bruegger's Bagel.

One summer when I stayed in Durham I worked at Steve's Ice Cream on 9th Street, which was next door to Bruegger's. Anyone else remember Steve's? I was a master mix-in maker, but never mastered the art of making the ice cream. It was very cool that we made the ice cream and the whip cream on the premises. Now THAT was a fun job!

aimo
06-11-2018, 05:37 PM
Anyone remember the name of the record store off 9th Street? It was around in the '80's, I think around the corner from Bruegger's Bagel.

Poindexter's. Closed in the 90s, I believe. Still have my t-shirt.

BLPOG
06-11-2018, 05:56 PM
There were at least two other record stores in that general area through recent years, although I don't remember their names. One was (is?) roughly located across the street from the Kwik Car Wash (or whatever it was called; it's something like Bull City Wash now). The other closed down about two years ago (it was also a book store) and was located next to the BP/across from the Dollar General. I think there is a Papa John's in that spot now (moved over there from the location on Main).

Indoor66
06-11-2018, 06:47 PM
How about The Record Bar on East Main Street that was the original store in the chain started by the Bergman family.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-11-2018, 08:20 PM
How about The Record Bar on East Main Street that was the original store in the chain started by the Bergman family.

Hear! Hear!

DU82
06-11-2018, 10:14 PM
There were at least two other record stores in that general area through recent years, although I don't remember their names. One was (is?) roughly located across the street from the Kwik Car Wash (or whatever it was called; it's something like Bull City Wash now). The other closed down about two years ago (it was also a book store) and was located next to the BP/across from the Dollar General. I think there is a Papa John's in that spot now (moved over there from the location on Main).

Books Do Furnish a Room is still on Markham across from the car wash. It’s behind a chicken restaurant (the name escapes me.) Nice Price Books was where Aunt Sue’s was on Broad (that goes back a bit!) and as you mentioned, closed about two years ago.

Double Standard
06-11-2018, 10:55 PM
Glad to see a few mentions of Biscuit King! I still miss that place.