PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina (Central University) Receives NCAA Punishment

devildeac
05-31-2018, 11:14 AM
Well, finally a Triangle school is punished for academic transgressions!

:rolleyes::mad:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article212192369.html

What a bunch of hypocritical, spineless *#$%ers in the ncaa.

ncexnyc
05-31-2018, 11:25 AM
Right state, wrong school.

I guess that's what happens when you throw darts blindfolded.

OZ
05-31-2018, 12:15 PM
Right state, wrong school.

I guess that's what happens when you throw darts blindfolded.

It's what happens when you don't have millions of $$$$$$$$ to fight it...

UrinalCake
05-31-2018, 12:45 PM
“Once the university self-reported the errors that were discovered in the athletic department’s certification process, we knew that some kind of penalty was coming.”

When will people learn? There is no reason to self-report anything. Deny any and all wrongdoing, and when you’re caught red-handed then claim it was a typo. It’s the Carolina Way.

elvis14
05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
The way I heard it explained on the radio (99.9, The Heel) yesterday was that a student comes in and declares a major (or transfers in with a major from a ju-co or another university). If they change that major and it doesn't get updated in the right system, they would technically not have the right core classes for their major and would be ineligible (unless of course that athlete was at UNCheat in which case they can do or not do anything they want and the school will buy their way out because they are cheating bastards).

MCFinARL
05-31-2018, 01:20 PM
Money talks, nobody walks. This makes me ill. If I lived in NC, and/or if I were a better person, I might start a fundraising campaign to raise the $5000 for NCCU's fine.

dudog84
05-31-2018, 02:03 PM
Money talks, uNC walks. This makes me ill. If I lived in NC, and/or if I were a better person, I might start a fundraising campaign to raise the $5000 for NCCU's fine.

Had to do a FIFY.

Nick
05-31-2018, 02:17 PM
If you're looking to be upset about corruption in college athletics, here's a long (and good) read (https://www.sbnation.com/a/ole-miss-leo-lewis-ncaa-enforcement-recruitment-violations) about the Mississippi football mess.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
Reminds me of what Sports Illustrated said years ago...that the NCAA was so ticked at Kentucky, that they put Cleveland State on probation....

weezie
05-31-2018, 08:53 PM
...It’s the Carolina Way.

Take the credit, shift the blame.

JStuart
05-31-2018, 10:39 PM
Well, finally a Triangle school is punished for academic transgressions!

:rolleyes::mad:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article212192369.html

What a bunch of hypocritical, spineless *#$%ers in the ncaa.

And this during the week when the unc trustees rescind Bill Cosby's honorary degree....and he didn't even take a fake class!
The labyrinthine levels of irony and hypocrisy involved in this action -and that includes unc's awful record on sexual harassment coverups- are stunning to contemplate.
That they can do this without cracking a smile...amazing.

NSDukeFan
06-01-2018, 03:38 PM
I assume they were all cracking huge smiles when they found out that the “you can’t punish us because we don’t have the decency to fulfill our member responsibilities and admit our failures “ defence actually worked. What a joke!

elvis14
06-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Talked with a good friend last night about NCCU's issues. My friend has worked for NCCU for decades in the athletic department. I'm not going to name him but I will say that his role in NCCU's athletics is not trivial. These issues really are a collection of clerical errors. Some of them go like this: Player A is studying criminal justice at a JuCo and transfers in. Eventually, this player decides to change his major to Mass Comm (or whatever). The athletic department and the university don't both get the new major in the various systems. NCAA looks at the player and says 'since he didn't meet the minimum requirements for his major (the old one not the new one), he was ineligible'. As a result NCCU will have to vacate a bunch of wins and stats. Bad thing is that in some cases where the error was corrected and the player went from being technically ineligible to eligible, the NCAA won't even recognize the correction and declare them eligible once the issue was resolved. Also, some of the older paperwork is....old.....paper and.....ah.....missing.

So my friend isn't real happy with the NCAA, isn't worried going forward because once they figured out the issue (and self reported) it's been corrected. They do all feel bad for players who will have their individual records wiped out. And make no mistake about it, the UNCheat scandal did come up and the ridiculousness that Central self reports a clerical issue (I think it was 22 athletes total) and they get hammered yet UNCheat has decades of fake classes and buys their way out of it.

I don't think I've said anything here new or that would get my friend in trouble. In fact, the example above "Player A..." came from and example I heard on 99.9, The Heel. I said to my friend "this is what I heard" and he said it was one of ways the issue happened. Before too long we were literally looking up crap on Twitter about people joking about NCCU getting punished and the Cheaters getting away with what was much worse.