PDA

View Full Version : K vid on front page

weezie
05-31-2018, 09:46 AM
Is there a picture in his attic that shows K aging? He looks terrific in that interview!

"Me, I'm looking for me to be the leader..." words to warm a fan's heart.

Billy Dat
05-31-2018, 12:50 PM
It is worth watching...my notes:

-Marquese had a bunch of weird injuries last year but he's healthy now and they expect big things from him this year

-Zion skipped trying out for USA U18 to better get ready for season with team

-Tre is at Duke "doing some rehab" but looks good and, due to his growing up with Tyus, is way ahead of the curve basketball IQ wise.

-Overall he feels that the team is much more "positionless" than last year, including Tre.

-Like every year, the intention is to play man but recent experience with the zone means we'll see that, too. He expects these guys to be able to switch better out of man then last year's team.

-The team collects a thorough pre-season baseline for athleticism, nutrition and body composition and then each kid gets an individualized plan. This includes custom orthotics for the sneakers, which K called out specifically, which I thought was funny due to the debate about foot injuries on DBR.

-As weezie said, he expects to be the leader of the team, at least at first, because of the lack of upperclassmen. BUT, he says the program needs to do a better job of having the freshmen learn from the upperclassmen and vice versa.

-He said that transfers are having a much bigger impact on college hoops than one-and-dones. In his words, "Teams like Albany...they just get raided, man"

-Per the above, he said, "Men's College Basketball is like a reality show...not all of it is bad...but there's always something"

Troublemaker
05-31-2018, 02:40 PM
It is worth watching...my notes:

-Marquese had a bunch of weird injuries last year but he's healthy now and they expect big things from him this year

-Zion skipped trying out for USA U18 to better get ready for season with team

-Tre is at Duke "doing some rehab" but looks good and, due to his growing up with Tyus, is way ahead of the curve basketball IQ wise.

-Overall he feels that the team is much more "positionless" than last year, including Tre.

-Like every year, the intention is to play man but recent experience with the zone means we'll see that, too. He expects these guys to be able to switch better out of man then last year's team.

-The team collects a thorough pre-season baseline for athleticism, nutrition and body composition and then each kid gets an individualized plan. This includes custom orthotics for the sneakers, which K called out specifically, which I thought was funny due to the debate about foot injuries on DBR.

-As weezie said, he expects to be the leader of the team, at least at first, because of the lack of upperclassmen. BUT, he says the program needs to do a better job of having the freshmen learn from the upperclassmen and vice versa.

-He said that transfers are having a much bigger impact on college hoops than one-and-dones. In his words, "Teams like Albany...they just get raided, man"

-Per the above, he said, "Men's College Basketball is like a reality show...not all of it is bad...but there's always something"

The full 30-minute video is on GoDuke and worth watching. I believe the WRAL vid I posted yesterday cut off the first 7 minutes.

I think you caught almost all the highlights, BillyDat. There was also a section where Coach reassured folks that Duke will still be able to recruit without Coach Capel. He seemed a tiny bit sensitive about that actually :-)

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2018, 02:41 PM
There was also a section where Coach reassured folks that Duke will still be able to recruit without Coach Capel. He seemed a tiny bit sensitive about that actually :-)

Which tells me he was kind of irked that Capel was getting all that credit since 2014.....

Billy Dat
05-31-2018, 03:06 PM
He also briefly mentioned that C-Well's arrival and the promotions of Jon, Nate and Nolan have been very smooth. He said it is well known that Nate and C-Well are very close but he hadn't even realized how close Nolan and Jon are with C-Well (maybe he forgot that C-Well was involved with their title squad as a coach of some sort).

The other thing he said was that with no USA Basketball and him having no off-season surgeries, he is feeling GREAT and actually surprised at how energetic and read-to-go he is. He also touted K Academy (starting today) as being a great thing (it's proceeds go to Emily K Center where K and fam just dropped another $3MM, and he mentioned that many of the repeat attendees of K Academy donate generously to the center.)

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2018, 05:33 PM
That is worth the watch......and K did look better than he has in a while.

JNort
05-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Which tells me he was kind of irked that Capel was getting all that credit since 2014....

Not necessarily. He could just be tired of people acting like Duke didn't recruit well before Capel...