PDA

View Full Version : Sixers / Bryan Colangelo twitter intrigue

Owen Meany
05-30-2018, 01:04 AM
The ringer has an interesting (and crazy) story (https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true) up about what appears to be Coangelo's use of twitter accounts to attack and undermine players and Coaches in Philly. The evidence seems pretty damning. The accounts in question suggested that Jah wasn't traded earlier because he failed a physical and encouraged writers to ask about it. They also attacked Embid and Nerlens Noel. The accounts did, however, speak glowingly of Brian Congelo. This definitely adds to the speculation that Jah didn't get a fair shake with the 76ers. Hopefully he can overcome his start (which included his own mistakes) and do well in a new environment.

darthur
05-30-2018, 01:36 AM
The ringer has an interesting (and crazy) story (http:// https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true) up about what appears to be Coangelo's use of twitter accounts to attack and undermine players and Coaches in Philly. The evidence seems pretty damning. The accounts in question suggested that Jah wasn't traded earlier because he failed a physical and encouraged writers to ask about it. They also attacked Embid and Nerlens Noel. The accounts did, however, speak glowingly of Brian Congelo. This definitely adds to the speculation that Jah didn't get a fair shake with the 76ers. Hopefully he can overcome his start (which included his own mistakes) and do well in a new environment.

Was just going to post this. I think it's basically irrefutable that the accounts belong to Bryan Colangelo. Somewhere KD is breathing a sigh of relief: I'm not the only one caught with Twitter burner accounts!

In all seriousness though, Colangelo's tweets seem really really bad.

Sample tweet: "Joel is not the future of the franchise, so who cares if he is not 100%, let's exploit him"

It's almost all too salacious to believe. If I was a player on that team, I would be pissed and would find it hard to trust this guy ever again. Can the 76s afford to not fire him?

freshmanjs
05-30-2018, 01:36 AM
The ringer has an interesting (and crazy) story (http:// https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true) up about what appears to be Coangelo's use of twitter accounts to attack and undermine players and Coaches in Philly. The evidence seems pretty damning. The accounts in question suggested that Jah wasn't traded earlier because he failed a physical and encouraged writers to ask about it. They also attacked Embid and Nerlens Noel. The accounts did, however, speak glowingly of Brian Congelo. This definitely adds to the speculation that Jah didn't get a fair shake with the 76ers. Hopefully he can overcome his start (which included his own mistakes) and do well in a new environment.

Colangelo. Not Coangelo or Congelo.

darthur
05-30-2018, 02:33 AM
Was just going to post this. I think it's basically irrefutable that the accounts belong to Bryan Colangelo.

Or on reflection: a family member or something? This whole thing is just too weird, I can't stop thinking/reading about it..

Native
05-30-2018, 08:00 AM
From The Ringer (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/29/17406750/bryan-colangelo-philadelphia-76ers-twitter-joel-embiid-anonymous-markelle-fultz):

In February, The Ringer received an anonymous tip that Bryan Colangelo, the Philadelphia 76ers’ president of basketball operations, had been secretly operating five Twitter accounts. Since then, we have scrutinized and archived those accounts in an attempt to verify the source’s claims that the longtime NBA executive has been using them as a platform to:

Criticize NBA players, including Joel Embiid, Jahlil Okafor, and Nerlens Noel
Publicly debate the decisions of his own coaching staff, as well as critique former Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie and Toronto Raptors president Masai Ujiri
Telegraph the 2017 trade in which the Sixers acquired the no. 1 overall pick that would become Markelle Fultz
Disclose nonpublic medical information about Okafor and gossip about Embiid and Fultz to members of the national and Philadelphia media

When Okafor rejoined the Sixers in Boston on February 15, Colangelo was criticized for creating an embarrassing situation for the second-year center. From that point onward, Eric jr (and other accounts) consistently claimed, dozens of times, that a deadline deal involving Okafor was derailed by a failed physical... Most of the tweets were directed toward basketball journalists and often tried to goad them into investigating the otherwise unreported allegation. “Ask Jah If he passed other team physical?” Eric jr tweeted at Keith Pompey, a Sixers beat writer for Philly.com. “I bet the farm it’s what’s happened.” The account made a similar suggestion to Jacobs. “Ask Jah If this is the truth? … You are a pretty established writer/blogger. Ask team for interview.”

And then there's this (https://twitter.com/sixersadam/status/1001672950335135745?s=21):

Sorry, Bryan. Got you.

Went to “reset password” and tried three of his burners. Every single one has a phone number ending in 91. This is clearly not a coincidence.

*note*: I cropped out Colangelo’s email addresses from the picture

If — if! — this is all true, Colangelo is gone.

ETA: Well, shoot. Didn't see the other thread on this. Mods, can you please work some magic?

Turk
05-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Colangelo. Not Coangelo or Congelo.

I beg to differ. Corleone, as in Sonny. “They hit us, so… we hit back.”
At least he's not Fredo...

JasonEvans
05-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Want to really blow your mind...

It appears that the person who outed the 5 Colangelo fake accounts was none other than former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie!!

https://twitter.com/Cole_Kev/status/1001645701577703424?s=19

dukelifer
05-30-2018, 09:12 AM

It appears that the person who outed the 5 Colangelo fake accounts was none other than former Sixers GM Sam Hinkie!!

Twitter is very dangerous. We shall see but doesn’t look good.

Troublemaker
05-30-2018, 09:22 AM
Was just going to post this. I think it's basically irrefutable that the accounts belong to Bryan Colangelo. Somewhere KD is breathing a sigh of relief: I'm not the only one caught with Twitter burner accounts!

Or on reflection: a family member or something?

Were it not for the fact that Colangelo admitted to one of the accounts being his, another possibility would've been someone trying to frame Colangelo, i.e. most likely the anonymous tipper himself were that the case. At least that's what my conspiratorial mind would've jumped to. But now that Colangelo has admitted to using one of the accounts, it's just a matter of whether the evidence can tie all five accounts together conclusively.

That's just some fun speculation, Jason. No hard evidence.

JasonEvans
05-30-2018, 09:48 AM
That's just some fun speculation, Jason. No hard evidence.

Stop ruining the fun! This story is nothing but speculation. Let me enjoy it! Ha!

rocketeli
05-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Stop ruining the fun! This story is nothing but speculation. Let me enjoy it! Ha!

I actually went and read the Ringer story before posting, and the reporter puts out some good evidence that it is not speculative--most damning--he contacted the sixers office, knowing about five suspicious accounts, and only asked about two of them, so the sixers didn't have any information about his knowing of the other three, and lo and behold-all five were closed. Also there is information about people followed, including similarities between accounts, and personal friends and business associates of BC, and tweets about specific things that happened when and where BC was present. It's a pretty thorough investigative job, especially for today's journalism.

DangerDevil
05-30-2018, 10:02 AM
I actually went and read the Ringer story before posting, and the reporter puts out some good evidence that it is not speculative--most damning--he contacted the sixers office, knowing about five suspicious accounts, and only asked about two of them, so the sixers didn't have any information about his knowing of the other three, and lo and behold-all five were closed. Also there is information about people followed, including similarities between accounts, and personal friends and business associates of BC, and tweets about specific things that happened when and where BC was present. It's a pretty thorough investigative job, especially for today's journalism.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23648754/philadelphia-76ers-investigating-alleged-social-media-use-team-president-bryan-colangelo

"An online media outlet filed a story linking multiple social media accounts to 76ers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo. The allegations are serious and we have commenced an independent investigation into the matter," the 76ers' statement said. "We will report the results of that investigation as soon as it is concluded."

CrazyNotCrazie
05-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Three random thoughts on this:

1. This really sounds like something that would happen to my Knicks - Dolan is losing his touch
2. Adam Silver would not be happy about this story at any time, but I am sure he is particularly annoyed that it is coming out right before the NBA Finals and taking attention away from the product on the court
3. I saw zero ads on this story. It is going to get a ridiculous number of hits. How does The Ringer make money?

darthur
05-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Sorry, Bryan. Got you.

Went to “reset password” and tried three of his burners. Every single one has a phone number ending in 91. This is clearly not a coincidence.

*note*: I cropped out Colangelo’s email addresses from the picture

I actually think the phone number thing here is the one piece of evidence that *doesn't* seem to point to Colangelo, and why I was wondering if the tweets were from a family member instead.

The one account that's definitely BC's apparently has a different phone number. I find it odd that Colangelo could be cautious enough to use a different phone number for his controversial accounts (which were created both before and after) but could still be reckless enough to make the other gaffes in the article.

thedukelamere
05-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Man oh man, what an explosive story. If true, Markelle Fultz losing his shooting stroke because he has father issues and his mom was in a relationship with his trainer is insane. Bryan is done, and may be liable for disclosing health issues on Jah.

oakvillebluedevil
05-30-2018, 10:59 AM

This is what really lessens the chances that it is just a random person attempting to frame Colangelo.

I think there's realistically three options (in increasing order of likelihood IMO):

1. The author did it - talk about a long con. Would require years of running burner twitter accounts with meticulous detail and getting access to and leaking top-level scooped insights and quotes anonymously vs. publishing them through his journalism platform. This feels like a stretch to me, I'm putting it last on my list

2. Colangelo himself did it - Everything points to this except for three things: the phone number of the account Colangelo owned up to is different than the others, he has repeatedly said that it wasn't him posting, and the incentives here just don't make any sense...I mean the Big Collar can be irrational at times and make poor basketball decisions, but man what you gain by doing this vs. what you lose if caught is just totally misaligned. I think this is possible (and more likely than author doing it), but it's not my bet

3. (What I think actually happened) - It's a different Colangelo! - We know the person who did this would have talked to Bryan Colangelo shortly after the author brought the first two accounts to the Sixers attention, which is how they realized they should close the other three accounts. We also know that the accounts indicated a deep interest in elements of Colangelo's personal life (following his son's basketball teammates and coaches, his old days from the Raptors, etc.). We also know the three most active anonymous accounts have a different phone number and email than the only one BC owned up to. Any other Colangelo would share all three of these characteristics

So I'm going with Colonel Mustard (Jerry Colangelo) in the Conservatory (likely his study) with the Candlestick (probably a desktop given Jerry's age :cool:)

The real question is what happens to Colangelo? If it's #1, nothing happens. If it's #2, he's clearly fired.

If it's #3, how does the org handle what's going to be a super toxic situation? Clearly the info would have gotten to that source, likely through Bryan. Keeping him without clearly exonerating him by finding the villain here would make the Sixers a super undesirable free agent destination right when they're going for Lebron. I still think he'd have to go...

El_Diablo
05-30-2018, 11:10 AM
This is what really lessens the chances that it is just a random person attempting to frame Colangelo.

I think there's realistically three options (in increasing order of likelihood IMO):

1. The author did it - talk about a long con. Would require years of running burner twitter accounts with meticulous detail and getting access to and leaking top-level scooped insights and quotes anonymously vs. publishing them through his journalism platform. This feels like a stretch to me, I'm putting it last on my list

2. Colangelo himself did it - Everything points to this except for three things: the phone number of the account Colangelo owned up to is different than the others, he has repeatedly said that it wasn't him posting, and the incentives here just don't make any sense...I mean the Big Collar can be irrational at times and make poor basketball decisions, but man what you gain by doing this vs. what you lose if caught is just totally misaligned. I think this is possible (and more likely than author doing it), but it's not my bet

3. (What I think actually happened) - It's a different Colangelo! - We know the person who did this would have talked to Bryan Colangelo shortly after the author brought the first two accounts to the Sixers attention, which is how they realized they should close the other three accounts. We also know that the accounts indicated a deep interest in elements of Colangelo's personal life (following his son's basketball teammates and coaches, his old days from the Raptors, etc.). We also know the three most active anonymous accounts have a different phone number and email than the only one BC owned up to. Any other Colangelo would share all three of these characteristics

So I'm going with Colonel Mustard (Jerry Colangelo) in the Conservatory (likely his study) with the Candlestick (probably a desktop given Jerry's age :cool:)

The real question is what happens to Colangelo? If it's #1, nothing happens. If it's #2, he's clearly fired.

If it's #3, how does the org handle what's going to be a super toxic situation? Clearly the info would have gotten to that source, likely through Bryan. Keeping him without clearly exonerating him by finding the villain here would make the Sixers a super undesirable free agent destination right when they're going for Lebron. I still think he'd have to go...

What about #4: elaborate frame job by someone other than the author (e.g., the anonymous tipster) who has an axe to grind (e.g., Hinkie or someone connected to him)? That seems more likely than #1 or #3.

flyingdutchdevil
05-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Man oh man, what an explosive story. If true, Markelle Fultz losing his shooting stroke because he has father issues and his mom was in a relationship with his trainer is insane. Bryan is done, and may be liable for disclosing health issues on Jah.

Yeah, I feel the same as well.

And if Jah is done, he needs to sue Colangelo. Easy money right there.

oakvillebluedevil
05-30-2018, 11:24 AM
What about #4: elaborate frame job by someone other than the author (e.g., the anonymous tipster) who has an axe to grind (e.g., Hinkie or someone connected to him)? That seems more likely than #1 or #3.

I hear you, this a good point

Where this breaks down for me is that the anonymous tipster would have a super narrow window of time between the author reaching out to the sixers about 2 of the 5 accounts (which happened morning May 22) and when the accounts were closed (hours later that same day). So the tipster would either have to be way up in the Sixers front office (to hear this was happening from the sixers PR person the author spoke to) or informed by the author, in which case the author is a bad actor. This also runs into the "long con" dilemma of would it really be worth 18 mos. of someone's life laying such an intricate trail of crumbs...

I agree it should be on the complete list though...I'd say between the author doing it himself and Colangelo doing it

Billy Dat
05-30-2018, 11:42 AM
It is an amazing story. If it is BC, just another example of a powerful person done in by thin skin and paranoia....very Nixonian.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-30-2018, 11:45 AM
We live in strange, strange times. I miss the days that Twitter wasn't mentioned regularly on the news or sports headlines.

camion
05-30-2018, 11:54 AM
We live in strange, strange times. I miss the days that Twitter wasn't mentioned regularly on the news or sports headlines.

I never mention Twitter.

Wait, I just mentioned it.

Dang, I just mentioned it again.

But at least I didn't mention fear, and surprise.

El_Diablo
05-30-2018, 11:55 AM
I hear you, this a good point

Where this breaks down for me is that the anonymous tipster would have a super narrow window of time between the author reaching out to the sixers about 2 of the 5 accounts (which happened morning May 22) and when the accounts were closed (hours later that same day). So the tipster would either have to be way up in the Sixers front office (to hear this was happening from the sixers PR person the author spoke to) or informed by the author, in which case the author is a bad actor. This also runs into the "long con" dilemma of would it really be worth 18 mos. of someone's life laying such an intricate trail of crumbs...

I agree it should be on the complete list though...I'd say between the author doing it himself and Colangelo doing it

Colangelo being the culprit is the simplest explanation and thus the most likely one, but if it's not him then it's someone who clearly intended it to look like him.

Just to play devil's advocate, the process would be relatively simple for someone else (e.g., the anonymous tipster) controlling the four inflammatory accounts. All (s)he would have to do is wait for the Phila1234567 account to switch to private or be deleted and then do the same thing for the others. Clearly that would require someone to harbor a vendetta against Colangelo to execute (and knowledge that Colangelo had the Phila1234567 account). But the fact that someone somehow "discovered" this whole thing (through...AI?) and anonymously gave it to a reporter indicates that the tipster was familiar with Colangelo and had a reason to look into this for some reason. I mean, why else would some random person who works with AI take an interest in a few random twitter users to see if they were being run by a particular person if (s)he had no other connection to the person?

I don't think an author would fabricate this whole thing for page clicks, but I know nothing of this particular author and admit that it is not outside the realm of possibility. The fact that a tipster would reach out to a freelance journalist nobody from a second-rate (third-rate?) sports news website is kind of fishy though.

kAzE
05-30-2018, 11:56 AM
I didn't even know about Jah's knee issues until now. Is that the biggest reason he hasn't been able to break out in the NBA?

He's been piled on so much ever since he started playing in the NBA that you almost forget how dominant of a player he once was . . .

weezie
05-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Amen. Wonder what Willis Reed, Oscar Roberston and Julius Erving would have tweeted about? How supremely cool they were?

Twitter is beyond dopey.

JasonEvans
05-30-2018, 12:50 PM

But, here is a key aspect of theory #3... if it happens as you say, then Bryan Colangelo knew someone close to him was tweeting about private team matters. Let's say it is Jerry. When Bryan gets wind of a reporter sneaking around the one account he controls, he goes to Jerry and tells Jerry to shut down the other accounts. That means Bryan knew what was going on.

The simple reality is that the other accounts shutting down at the same time means either the reporter set all of this up (which seems highly unlikely) or Bryan Colangelo knew about it. I suppose there is a situation where someone else in the Sixers organization heard the PR guy talking to Bryan about it but that too seems incredibly unlikely.

-Jason "I think Bryan will resign inside of 2 weeks" Evans

dudog84
05-30-2018, 01:16 PM
But, here is a key aspect of theory #3... if it happens as you say, then Bryan Colangelo knew someone close to him was tweeting about private team matters. Let's say it is Jerry. When Bryan gets wind of a reporter sneaking around the one account he controls, he goes to Jerry and tells Jerry to shut down the other accounts. That means Bryan knew what was going on.

The simple reality is that the other accounts shutting down at the same time means either the reporter set all of this up (which seems highly unlikely) or Bryan Colangelo knew about it. I suppose there is a situation where someone else in the Sixers organization heard the PR guy talking to Bryan about it but that too seems incredibly unlikely.

That's Stone Age pace in today's world.

budwom
05-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Amen. Wonder what Willis Reed, Oscar Roberston and Julius Erving would have tweeted about? How supremely cool they were?

Twitter is beyond dopey.

I think we benefited (as kids) from not knowing what our heroes were thinking about. It's really best not to know, probably would have burst more than a few bublbes...might not have been as supremely cool as we thought they were (then again, maybe they were). Social media like The Tweet are a plague and a bad one at that.

Acymetric
05-30-2018, 03:00 PM
I think we benefited (as kids) from not knowing what our heroes were thinking about. It's really best not to know, probably would have burst more than a few bublbes...might not have been as supremely cool as we thought they were (then again, maybe they were). Social media like The Tweet are a plague and a bad one at that.

I was listening to sports radio and they were having a conversation about this...I forget what show but it seems like Bomani Jones might have been in on it. One mentioned that Favre would not have been able to spend 72 days privately in rehab in today's Twitter environment, suggesting (purely as an example of a currently player) if Aaron Rodgers were to do the same now it would be known before he even checked in. Bomani's response, which seemed to entirely miss the point, was that Aaron or any other player today would have "gotten out in front of it" before the news broke. Whether you believe that is a positive or negative development is up for debate, I suppose, but different times to be sure.

BD80
05-30-2018, 06:33 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23648754/philadelphia-76ers-investigating-alleged-social-media-use-team-president-bryan-colangelo

"An online media outlet filed a story linking multiple social media accounts to 76ers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo. The allegations are serious and we have commenced an independent investigation into the matter," the 76ers' statement said. "We will report the results of that investigation as soon as it is concluded."

Brody: Where are the accounts?
Maj. Eaton: I thought we'd settled that. The accounts are somewhere very safe.
Jones: From whom?
Brody: The accounts are sources of unspeakable power and they have to be researched!
Maj. Eaton: And they will be, I assure you, Doctor Brody, Doctor Jones. We have top men working on it right now.
Jones: Who?!
Maj. Eaton: Top... men.

(redacted content removed by moderator)

oakvillebluedevil
05-30-2018, 09:29 PM

Intentionally not linking to the tweets as they're frankly creepy, but it appears twitter 'sleuths' found a cell phone number for Colangelo's wife. The last two digits of that number align with the last two digits of the number tied w/ the three burner Twitter accounts.

Lots still unclear, such as whether she was the one doing the tweeting, but to Jason's point above does not look good for Colangelo...

JasonEvans
06-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Colangelo has reportedly resigned (according to Woj (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1004752956133126145)).

8 days... nailed it ;)

SilkyJ
06-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Accusing Hinkie of being the source is baseless speculation at best (the twitter link you sent had nothing that remotely resembled "evidence") and was more likely rumor mongering Mr. Mod! I actually think I know who it was, but its not someone any of you know or anyone in the basketball world would know. Its someone I know out here in Silicon Valley where Hinkie now lives...but it would be rumor mongering so i won't post his/her name :)

MChambers
06-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Colangelo has reportedly resigned (according to Woj (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1004752956133126145)).

8 days... nailed it ;)

Colangelo’s wife confessed to be the source of the tweets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/sports/bryan-colangelo-sixers-wife.html

Bluedog
06-07-2018, 02:25 PM
So, basically, the allegation that Bryan Colangelo was posting anonymous rumors on fake twitter accounts was completely false. It was his wife. Yet, he still takes the sword, but I guess that's what happens. Rough...I guess shouldn't have shared his frustrations and inside info with her (but can't really blame somebody for sharing things to their spouse unless they're in the CIA or something).

Philadukie
06-07-2018, 02:31 PM
So, basically, the allegation that Bryan Colangelo was posting anonymous rumors on fake twitter accounts was completely false. It was his wife. Yet, he still takes the sword, but I guess that's what happens. Rough...I guess shouldn't have shared his frustrations and inside info with her (but can't really blame somebody for sharing things to their spouse unless they're in the CIA or something).

Well, he claims he didn’t, and there’s been no evidence uncovered that he did. BUT, his wife did factory reset her phone before turning it in, which the Sixers felt compelled to note in their official announcement. We may never know what Colangelo knew, but there’s enough here that warrants firing.

Edited to add: I really just find it incredible that Bryan’s wife was tweeting these things and he didn’t know. So basically we have to believe that he confided these issues in her but then she took them and tweeted on her own through multiple fake twitter accounts.

It’s also suspicious that as soon as two of the fake accounts we’re brought to the Sixers front office attention as bait (a brilliant move), the other three accounts were also immediately shut down. So then someone had to tell Colangelo’s wife right away about the Ringer’s phone call regarding the fake accounts. Who else would tell her other than Bryan? It doesn’t add up.

Bluedog
06-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Well, he claims he didn’t, and there’s been no evidence uncovered that he did. BUT, his wife did factory reset her phone before turning it in, which the Sixers felt compelled to note in their official announcement. We may never know what Colangelo knew, but there’s enough here that warrants firing.

I agree that he wouldn't have been able to effectively lead the organization after this debacle, so he had no choice but to resign (or get fired). Trust certainly was broken in some manner, but I'd imagine he'd still have a job if his wife hadn't posted things publicly.

Troublemaker
06-07-2018, 02:43 PM

I mostly agree, but the disparaging comments and private, sensitive info DID get out (through his wife apparently), so now he's compromised as an executive. I get it -- there might be other GMs out there who disparage players and colleagues and share sensitive info with their wives, too, (but probably very few) but just didn't get caught. However, Colangelo DID get caught and so needs to go. For example, negotiating future contracts with Embiid would be very tough if Colangelo were still around.

ETA: didn't see your last post that basically concluded the same thing.

Acymetric
06-07-2018, 03:38 PM

Edited to add: I really just find it incredible that Bryan’s wife was tweeting these things and he didn’t know. So basically we have to believe that he confided these issues in her but then she took them and tweeted on her own through multiple fake twitter accounts.

It’s also suspicious that as soon as two of the fake accounts we’re brought to the Sixers front office attention as bait (a brilliant move), the other three accounts were also immediately shut down. So then someone had to tell Colangelo’s wife right away about the Ringer’s phone call regarding the fake accounts. Who else would tell her other than Bryan? It doesn’t add up.

I mostly agree, but the disparaging comments and private, sensitive info DID get out (through his wife apparently), so now he's compromised as an executive. I get it -- there might be other GMs out there who disparage players and colleagues and share sensitive info with their wives, too, (but probably very few) but just didn't get caught. However, Colangelo DID get caught and so needs to go. For example, negotiating future contracts with Embiid would be very tough if Colangelo were still around.

ETA: didn't see your last post that basically concluded the same thing.

Philadukie's post is pretty important. It isn't just that he got caught bad mouthing players and colleagues. It is that it is still very possible that he was aware (or even encouraged) his wife's tweets, as evidenced by her not exactly being forthcoming when turning over the phone. His statements, while clearly attempts at damage control, hurt his claims that he was unaware as they contradict things that we already know as well as common sense. Take this quote from the Times article linked earlier:

“I vigorously dispute the allegation that my conduct was in any way reckless,” Mr. Colangelo said in a statement. “At no point did I ever purposely or directly share any sensitive, nonpublic, club-related information with her.”

So...where was she getting the sensitive, nonpublic, club-related information (such as results of a player's physical for a possible trade that had not been made public) then? Another team employee, or another team employee's spouse? Possible, but Occom might not be willing to believe that. And if he's lying about what he told her to protect himself (which he may or may not be), it is not a stretch to believe he is lying about what he knew or whether he encouraged it.

Philadukie
06-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Philadukie's post is pretty important. It isn't just that he got caught bad mouthing players and colleagues. It is that it is still very possible that he was aware (or even encouraged) his wife's tweets, as evidenced by her not exactly being forthcoming when turning over the phone. His statements, while clearly attempts at damage control, hurt his claims that he was unaware as they contradict things that we already know as well as common sense. Take this quote from the Times article linked earlier:

So...where was she getting the sensitive, nonpublic, club-related information (such as results of a player's physical for a possible trade that had not been made public) then? Another team employee, or another team employee's spouse? Possible, but Occom might not be willing to believe that. And if he's lying about what he told her to protect himself (which he may or may not be), it is not a stretch to believe he is lying about what he knew or whether he encouraged it.

The difference between his wife taking the fall and Colangelo himself taking the fall is the difference between a few years away from the NBA and the rest of his life away from the NBA.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-07-2018, 04:10 PM
The difference between his wife taking the fall and Colangelo himself taking the fall is the difference between a few years away from the NBA and the rest of his life away from the NBA.

My thoughts exactly. His wife's transgressions warrant a firing, but he may return.

rocketeli
06-07-2018, 10:38 PM
I call BS on the wife story. We're supposed to believe that BC ran or called home several times a day maybe to share everything he knew or thought about his work and coworkers with his wife and she,I don't know, took notes and then posted irresponsible tweets about them? That she ran five fake accounts and somehow knew to cancel them when two were outed as mentioned above? Some wives are like that, Nancy Reagan would have done it for Ronnie, but the more plausible scenario is that she is taking the fall for her meal ticket. If so, he'd better meet her needs for the rest of the marriage, I'm thinking.

Turk
06-08-2018, 06:59 AM
"Look how they massacred my boy..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1sHhpXuZY

Good riddance. #HinkieDiedForYourSins