PDA

View Full Version : Bigger stage, NCAA Final Four or NBA?

OldPhiKap
05-27-2018, 02:40 PM
Discuss.

Wander
05-27-2018, 02:43 PM
So, Quinn played pretty well in his limited minutes at the end of the game yesterday.

JNort
05-27-2018, 04:09 PM
So, Quinn played pretty well in his limited minutes at the end of the game yesterday.

He's played great for a while now!

brevity
05-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Bigger stage, NCAA Final Four or NBA?

Discuss.

Fact #1: NCAA Final Four court floor dimensions are 140 feet x 70 feet (https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_basketball/article/Final-Four-floor-unveiled-at-the-Alamodome-12777430.php).
Fact #2: NBA regulation court floor dimensions are 94 feet x 50 feet (https://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/02/nba-hardwood-floors-basketball-court-celtics-nets-magic-nuggets-hornets).

Conclusion: the NCAA Final Four is, quite literally, the bigger stage. Close the thread.

OldPhiKap
05-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Fact #1: NCAA Final Four court floor dimensions are 140 feet x 70 feet (https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/college_sports/college_basketball/article/Final-Four-floor-unveiled-at-the-Alamodome-12777430.php).
Fact #2: NBA regulation court floor dimensions are 94 feet x 50 feet (https://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/02/nba-hardwood-floors-basketball-court-celtics-nets-magic-nuggets-hornets).

Conclusion: the NCAA Final Four is, quite literally, the bigger stage. Close the thread.

Plus, the NCAA has coaches on bar stools. Okay, a coach on a bar stool. Once.

But still.

hallcity
05-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Final Four, easily.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theodysseyonline.com/ncaa-championship-trumps-nba-finals.amp

fuse
05-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Not that my opinion counts for anything- with everything on the line in one game compared to a best of series, I’ll take the Final Four every time.

Furniture
05-27-2018, 09:12 PM
I really think that Quinn fully deserves any minutes he gets.

OldPhiKap
05-28-2018, 07:49 AM
I’m a huge college fan, and don’t really watch the NBA.

Having said that — whichever stage LeBron James stands upon is the biggest. Wow.

(And someone made the point last night: Jayson Tatum played something like 29 games at Duke; that was his 99th as an NBA player his rookie year. Jayson played incredibly well).

HereBeforeCoachK
05-28-2018, 08:46 AM
The question was posed as NCAA Final Four versus NBA....does that mean NBA in general? NBA play-offs? NBA Finals?

The NBA stage during the regular season is often quite small....41 regular season home games...you end up with corporate tickets and people in the arena to be seen and in many places, seats are empty in the first quarter.

Last night, with LeBron facing history, the NBA stage was very large. A Houston Boston finals would be a much smaller stage than LeBron and the Warriors in the Finals. In the NBA, where players reign supreme in the minds of fans and teams mean almost nothing outside the home city, the stage varies immensely. In the NCAA, the stage variance is not as great, as there is a kind of national investment into the whole March Madness situation, and people will watch it to the end.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-28-2018, 08:51 AM
(And someone made the point last night: Jayson Tatum played something like 29 games at Duke; that was his 99th as an NBA player his rookie year. Jayson played incredibly well).

This is true....but think about this: Kyrie played 11 games for Duke, and Duke is his "brotherhood" - while he walked away from LeBron after playing many many games with him. Grant Hill? Known as Duke player, not a Piston or member of the Magic, or whatever. Laettner played what, 12 years in the NBA, and played on the original Dream Team? Still known only for his college days. Even Magic and Bird are known, to a degree, for their meeting in college.

There is something about the stage of the NCAA that has long long legs.......overwhelming the massive number of games that NBA careers produce. Do with that what you will, but I think there is something to be said for a stage as it relates to memories.

weezie
05-28-2018, 09:48 AM

SNAP.

CDu
05-28-2018, 09:52 AM

Not allowed to spork, but I enjoyed this.

SupaDave
05-28-2018, 11:48 AM
This is true...but think about this: Kyrie played 11 games for Duke, and Duke is his "brotherhood" - while he walked away from LeBron after playing many many games with him. Grant Hill? Known as Duke player, not a Piston or member of the Magic, or whatever. Laettner played what, 12 years in the NBA, and played on the original Dream Team? Still known only for his college days. Even Magic and Bird are known, to a degree, for their meeting in college.

There is something about the stage of the NCAA that has long long legs....overwhelming the massive number of games that NBA careers produce. Do with that what you will, but I think there is something to be said for a stage as it relates to memories.

Ahhhh memories. Things UNC fans hold on to for 200 Alex...

clinresga
05-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Hate to be the party pooper, but actually, the NCAA and NBA courts are exactly the same size, 94' x 50' (Sports Court dimensions (https://www.sportsknowhow.com/basketball/dimensions/basketball-court-dimensions-diagram.html)).

Looking at this another way, by TV viewership, comparing the last game of the NBA finals versus the championship game of the NCAA tourney (which I think is a much fairer comparison than the one that hallcity cites), here are the numbers last few years:
NBA: 2015 23.2M viewers. 2016 31.0M 2017 24.5M 2018 TBD
NCAA: 2015 28.2M 2016 17.8M 2017 23.0M 2018 16.5M

Conclusions: 1) NBA trends higher in viewership 2) folks love Duke (2015!) 3) 'Nova--not so much.

I also always remember JJ Redick on his (former) podcast making it crystal clear that he'd take an NBA championship over an NCAA champ 10 times out of 10. Suspect any of his colleagues in the league would agree. So, I'd say NBA stage is a bit bigger. But I'd still watch a Duke exhibition game over the NBA finals any day.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Hate to be the party pooper, but actually, the NCAA and NBA courts are exactly the same size, 94' x 50' (Sports Court dimensions (https://www.sportsknowhow.com/basketball/dimensions/basketball-court-dimensions-diagram.html)).

Looking at this another way, by TV viewership, comparing the last game of the NBA finals versus the championship game of the NCAA tourney (which I think is a much fairer comparison than the one that hallcity cites), here are the numbers last few years:
NBA: 2015 23.2M viewers. 2016 31.0M 2017 24.5M 2018 TBD
NCAA: 2015 28.2M 2016 17.8M 2017 23.0M 2018 16.5M

Conclusions: 1) NBA trends higher in viewership 2) folks love Duke (2015!) 3) 'Nova--not so much.

I also always remember JJ Redick on his (former) podcast making it crystal clear that he'd take an NBA championship over an NCAA champ 10 times out of 10. Suspect any of his colleagues in the league would agree. So, I'd say NBA stage is a bit bigger. But I'd still watch a Duke exhibition game over the NBA finals any day.

I suspect the difference in dimensions is the floor size rather than playing surface.

weezie
05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
...I also always remember JJ Redick on his (former) podcast making it crystal clear that he'd take an NBA championship over an NCAA champ 10 times out of 10. Suspect any of his colleagues in the league would agree...

Makes sense. The huge contract bonuses and the sweet (??? meh) championship hats increase the happy factor.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-30-2018, 05:17 PM

....while this is true.....ask a thousand sports fans for a snap word association with JJ - and its Duke....period....hands down.

JNort
05-30-2018, 05:19 PM
...while this is true....ask a thousand sports fans for a snap word association with JJ - and its Duke...period...hands down.

That's true for him perhaps but not the vast majority of players.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-30-2018, 05:40 PM
That's true for him perhaps but not the vast majority of players.

Well I don't know about vast majority....now certainly with OAD this is lessening, but I think it's true for a lot players who play routinely on the big stage of college hoops (Duke, Kansas, the cheats, Kentucky, etc.)

JNort
05-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Well I don't know about vast majority...now certainly with OAD this is lessening, but I think it's true for a lot players who play routinely on the big stage of college hoops (Duke, Kansas, the cheats, Kentucky, etc.)

I would say it's definetly vast majority. Even discounting OADs. I would say hardly anyone thinks of Kemba and thinks anything other than Hornets.

uh_no
05-30-2018, 10:28 PM
I would say it's definetly vast majority. Even discounting OADs. I would say hardly anyone thinks of Kemba and thinks anything other than Hornets.

depends on where you're from...

JNort
05-31-2018, 01:54 AM
depends on where you're from...

Well I'm not referring to specific places, I'm referring to the whole.

subzero02
05-31-2018, 05:55 AM
Whenever I see Klay, I instantly think of WSU and Drew Bledsoe...

clinresga
05-31-2018, 08:04 AM
...while this is true...ask a thousand sports fans for a snap word association with JJ - and its Duke...period...hands down.

Not in Philly!

Steph--Davidson?
James Harden--ASU?
Joel Embiid--Kansas?

I think the "man on the street" thinks GSW, Houston, and Philly.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-31-2018, 10:30 AM
Not in Philly!

Steph--Davidson?
James Harden--ASU?
Joel Embiid--Kansas?

I think the "man on the street" thinks GSW, Houston, and Philly.

Davidson is not a big stage in college 99% of the time. Not a valid analogy.
Steph is also known for being far greater in the pros than even the Warriors projected. This is not true of JJ Redick. And this is not true of Quinn Cook, and remember, these were the two players that kicked off this debate.

Embiid played only one year....again, I already said the OAD were different in this regard. See above about Redick and Quinn.
And ASU is seriously not a big stage in college BB....haven't been in many decades. And I think Harden was two and done....and has also been much greater in the pros than even his drafting team projected.

Gotta keep apples to apples......

Wander
05-31-2018, 11:56 AM
Davidson is not a big stage in college 99% of the time. Not a valid analogy.
Steph is also known for being far greater in the pros than even the Warriors projected. This is not true of JJ Redick. And this is not true of Quinn Cook, and remember, these were the two players that kicked off this debate.

Embiid played only one year...again, I already said the OAD were different in this regard. See above about Redick and Quinn.
And ASU is seriously not a big stage in college BB...haven't been in many decades. And I think Harden was two and done...and has also been much greater in the pros than even his drafting team projected.

Gotta keep apples to apples...

So, your rule only applies to like 10 Division 1 schools out of 351, and even then only for players who aren't OAD, and even then only for players who don't become better players than their draft status projects? OK.

How many NBA starters are better associated in the mind of the casual sports fan with a college team than as an NBA player? Definitely no more than 10 out of 150 starters. In fact, you could argue it's no more than 1 (JJ Redick).

JNort
05-31-2018, 02:02 PM
So, your rule only applies to like 10 Division 1 schools out of 351, and even then only for players who aren't OAD, and even then only for players who don't become better players than their draft status projects? OK.

How many NBA starters are better associated in the mind of the casual sports fan with a college team than as an NBA player? Definitely no more than 10 out of 150 starters. In fact, you could argue it's no more than 1 (JJ Redick).
Yeah seems like a lot of special pleading. I still think it's wrong as well. As I said Kemba is associated with the Hornets, Klay with the Warriors, Draymond with the Warriors. I know that's just 3 but do we need to go through a list? Even y'all of famers are like this, Jordan = Bulls, Bird = Celtics, Magic = Lakers...