PDA

View Full Version : 2018 ACC baseball tournament

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 11:44 AM
Thought I would start a dedicated thread to this event.

First, a recap on the somewhat confusing format.

Twelve teams, divided into four 3-team pods.

Everyone plays the other two teams in their pods.

Winner of pods advance to semifinals Saturday.

Title game Sunday.

Now, there are only two ways a pod can go.

In Scenario A, one team goes 2-0, one team goes 1-1, one team goes 0-2.

Easy to see who advances here.

Scenario B is the circular-firing squad scenario, in which each team goes 1-1.

No head-to-head advantage for anyone here.

So, the tiebreaker goes to the top seed in the pod, based on regular-season in conference.

Those teams would be North Carolina, Clemson, NC State and Duke.

They are the only four teams that can advance with a loss.

In other words, the three teams that lost yesterday-Georgia Tech, Virginia and Notre Dame-have no chance to advance to the semifinals. And none of these teams has a realistic chance of making the NCAAT.

So, their second games are meaningless. For them. But not necessarily for their opponents.

So, it will be interesting to see how these teams play out their season.

Some words on yesterday's action. A 2-1 game, a 3-2, 11-inning game and a 6-2 game that was 1-2 going into the bottom of the eighth.

So pitching ruled, excluding the Notre Dame bullpen collapse against Miami.

Pitt's win over GT was a big, big upset. They were the `12th seed. They play UNC tonight and would clinch their pod with a win.

A more likely outcome has UNC winning and punching their ticket to Saturday. The Tar Heels absolutely mauled Pitt earlier in the season.

So, count on lots of light blue in the stands Saturday.

Duke doesn't open until tomorrow. But the first game today involves Wake Forest and Louisvile, the other two teams in Duke's pod.

They are scoreless after two.

Should Wake win, Duke could clinch the pod by beating them tomorrow.

Should Louisville win, Duke could clinch the pod by winning over Louisville Friday.

But there's another dynamic at work for Duke.

Duke hopes to host first-round NCAA action next week. Sixteen regionals will need hosts.

By most accounts, Duke is just on the outside looking in. I really think Duke needs to win both pool games to feel good about hosting.

Note also, that Duke's next win will be a school-record 40th.

It's hot and humid in Durham, with rain expected. Could throw a figurative monkey wrench into the proceedings.

More later.

rasputin
05-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Thought I would start a dedicated thread to this event.

First, a recap on the somewhat confusing format.

Twelve teams, divided into four 3-team pods.

Everyone plays the other two teams in their pods.

Winner of pods advance to semifinals Saturday.

Title game Sunday.

Now, there are only two ways a pod can go.

In Scenario A, one team goes 2-0, one team goes 1-1, one team goes 0-2.

Easy to see who advances here.

Scenario B is the circular-firing squad scenario, in which each team goes 1-1.

No head-to-head advantage for anyone here.

So, the tiebreaker goes to the top seed in the pod, based on regular-season in conference.

Those teams would be North Carolina, Clemson, NC State and Duke.

They are the only four teams that can advance with a loss.

In other words, the three teams that lost yesterday-Georgia Tech, Virginia and Notre Dame-have no chance to advance to the semifinals. And none of these teams has a realistic chance of making the NCAAT.

So, their second games are meaningless. For them. But not necessarily for their opponents.

So, it will be interesting to see how these teams play out their season.

Some words on yesterday's action. A 2-1 game, a 3-2, 11-inning game and a 6-2 game that was 1-2 going into the bottom of the eighth.

So pitching ruled, excluding the Notre Dame bullpen collapse against Miami.

Pitt's win over GT was a big, big upset. They were the `12th seed. They play UNC tonight and would clinch their pod with a win.

A more likely outcome has UNC winning and punching their ticket to Saturday. The Tar Heels absolutely mauled Pitt earlier in the season.

So, count on lots of light blue in the stands Saturday.

Duke doesn't open until tomorrow. But the first game today involves Wake Forest and Louisvile, the other two teams in Duke's pod.

They are scoreless after two.

Should Wake win, Duke could clinch the pod by beating them tomorrow.

Should Louisville win, Duke could clinch the pod by winning over Louisville Friday.

But there's another dynamic at work for Duke.

Duke hopes to host first-round NCAA action next week. Sixteen regionals will need hosts.

By most accounts, Duke is just on the outside looking in. I really think Duke needs to win both pool games to feel good about hosting.

Note also, that Duke's next win will be a school-record 40th.

It's hot and humid in Durham, with rain expected. Could throw a figurative monkey wrench into the proceedings.

More later.

Thanks for the format explanation, which was illuminating. My attempt to spork it was unsuccessful.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 12:17 PM
A three-run blast by Josh Stowers put Louisville up 3-1, after four.

The Deacs had a chance to blow it open in the third, bases loaded, no outs. But Jake Mueller hit into a DP, scoring a run. No further damage that inning.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Wake beginning to unravel. 5-1 Louisville still batting in B6.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 02:14 PM
Josh Stowers clears bases with triple.

Stowers has six RBIs and Louisville goes to the top of the ninth clinging to a tenuous 10-2 lead.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 02:29 PM
And that's our final.

richardjackson199
05-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Louisville wins 10-2

The only question for Duke is what to do with starting pitchers. Bullpen pitchers are always ready to go, and our coaches can make those decisions on the fly.

Duke should start their #2 Starting pitcher against Wake and our #1 pitcher vs UL. Our #3 can start on Saturday if we're fortunate enough to get there - and we can pull him quickly if needed to get to DeCaster, Jarvis, Stinson, and Labosky as needed. Duke's bullpen depth is fantastic, and our top 4 relievers could be strung together to get 8 innings.

If Duke can get to Sunday, our #2 pitcher might have enough left to throw a few innings. UL will be very tough, but we have to win that game to host a regional. We should try to beat Wake too - as Jim pointed out - although the game is meaningless for our ACC Tourney advancement, it matters for our chances to host an NCAA regional.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Louisville wins 10-2

The only question for Duke is what to do with starting pitchers. Bullpen pitchers are always ready to go, and our coaches can make those decisions on the fly.

Duke should start their #2 Starting pitcher against Wake and our #1 pitcher vs UL. Our #3 can start on Saturday if we're fortunate enough to get there - and we can pull him quickly if needed to get to DeCaster, Jarvis, Stinson, and Labosky as needed. Duke's bullpen depth is fantastic, and our top 4 relievers could be strung together to get 8 innings.

If Duke can get to Sunday, our #2 pitcher might have enough left to throw a few innings. UL will be very tough, but we have to win that game to host a regional. We should try to beat Wake too - as Jim pointed out - although the game is meaningless for our ACC Tourney advancement, it matters for our chances to host an NCAA regional.

I'm not sure Duke has a clear number one starter, especially after last weekend's debacle.

Pollard indicated earlier in the week that his two senior weekend starters would start the pod games. Mitch Stallings and Ryan Day were both roughed up pretty good at GT. But both are seniors and should be able to rebound. Order of use? TBD.

That likely would leave Laskey to start Saturday, should Duke advance that far.

Louisville looked pretty tough today. Wake helped them out a lot, an error, five walks, two wild pitches, three hit batters, a balk, a passed ball and abysmal clutch hitting.

But first things first and Wake is first. Who knows what they'll bring to the table. They could be in off-season mode, or nothing-to-lose, have-fun-and-kick-butt mode. TBD.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Lightning delay with Notre Dame up over Clemson 2-0 in second.

This is where the schedule starts to get iffy.

left_hook_lacey
05-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Thinking about going to the weekend session. Tickets are only $45 for the semis and championship game. Wish I knew more about the weather is gonna do, and what Duke is gonna do. :) Still, even if Duke doesn't make it, you can find worse places to hang out on a Sunday afternoon than Durham Bull athletic park.

Does anyone know if they serve beer inside the park for this tournament? I know it's a college tournament, but it's a pro park, off-campus. If not, I can always hit up Tobacco Road or something before, during, and after. :cool:

Jut gotta talk the wife into 3 baseball games in 2 days. :)

Update:
Me: Want to go to the ACC baseball tournament this weekend?
Her: When?
Me: Semis are Saturday, championship game is Sunday.
Her: Sure. And you can take me to the Sugarland concert Saturday night afterwards. Thanks for asking.
Me: :mad:

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Saturday's weather looks great.

Sunday? Not so much.

Keep in mind that UNC only has to beat a 28-25 Pitt team to guarantee a spot in the semis and NC State might be around; FSU is a tough out in their pod.

But tickets could--note the qualifier-be at a premium this weekend. Put all three Triangle schools in and it's going to be crowded.

Willy2351
05-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Thanks very much for the helpful explanation, Jim.

Now that Louisville has beat Wake, is it right that Duke's game with Wake is meaningless? Whether we win or lose that game, it seems like if we beat Louisville, we will advance to the semis. Right?

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Thanks very much for the helpful explanation, Jim.

Now that Louisville has beat Wake, is it right that Duke's game with Wake is meaningless? Whether we win or lose that game, it seems like if we beat Louisville, we will advance to the semis. Right?

Meaningless for the purposes of the ACCT.

Very much meaningful for Duke's chances of hosting the first weekend of the NCAAT.

Duke will go all out to win tomorrow.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 05:34 PM
It took Clemson about three innings to decide if they wanted to bother with this one.

But they've exploded in the top of the 4th, with six runs and counting.

They lead 7-3.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 05:58 PM
And counting. Clemson still batting in T4, 11-3, bases loaded.

If you are in the Durham area and have eligibility remaining, report to the Notre Dame bench.

They need arms.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 06:01 PM
Seriously.

Send help.

Grand slam by Davidson, second home run of inning, 15-3, Clemson ties ACCT record for runs in inning at 14.

They've batted around twice.

And yes, the ACC has a 10-run mercy rule. But the game has to go seven innings and it might be tomorrow before we get there.

Painful to watch. Figuratively and maybe literally.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Home run hits the bull.

18-3. 17 runs this inning.

And still batting.

devildeac
05-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Home run hits the bull.

18-3. 17 runs this inning.

And still batting.

Could/would the ND coach and his team head to the locker room now and request/call it a forfeit?

Kidding. Mostly.

:rolleyes:

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Finally over. A called third strike.

PackMan97
05-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Meaningless for the purposes of the ACCT.

Very much meaningful for Duke's chances of hosting the first weekend of the NCAAT.

Duke will go all out to win tomorrow.

Just as with State vs UVA, neither team will go "all out". You aren't going to throw your best pitcher. You aren't even going to throw your second or third best. The goal is to win the ACCT, do that and hosting isn't in question.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Clemson adds a valuable insurance run in T5.

19-3.

Indoor66
05-23-2018, 06:41 PM
Clemson adds a valuable insurance run in T5.

19-3.

That takes out some of the worry....

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 06:43 PM
The Irish creeping back.

19-4 after five.

We need at least a 10-run margin after seven or we'll be here all night.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see another mercy-rule game in the nightcap. UNC jumping all over Pitt early.

But it's hard to top 21-4 for drama.

burnspbesq
05-23-2018, 08:50 PM
Home run hits the bull.

Is the steak an extra-benefits NCAA violation?

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Is the steak an extra-benefits NCAA violation?

I believe that has actually come up in the past. I can't recall the actual decision, however.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 09:23 PM
Wow.

Play of the tournament.

Pitt center fielder Frank Maldonado saves three runs for Pitt with running catch, full-speed into center-field wall, bases loaded, two outs.

Paid the price. Made it off under own power.

Just a great, great play.

Pitt trails 3-1 but their defense has kept them in the game.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 09:31 PM
I could be wrong about that blow-out.

Tied at 3.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Upset alert.

The 12th-seeded Pitt Panthers scored twice in the bottom of the seventh to take a 5-4 lead over UNC.

Go-ahead run scores on suicide squeeze.

Tar Heels go down 1-2-3 in 8th.

Remember, a Pitt win eliminates the Tar Heels from title contention.

jimsumner
05-23-2018, 11:41 PM
That's a wrap.

5-4 Pitt.

That really opens up the weekend.

chrishoke
05-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Wow, what a shocker. Davidson last year in the big tournament and lowly Pitt this year. All week the heels were vowing that it would not happen again this year. And just like that,the favorite is eliminated.

Indoor66
05-24-2018, 08:03 AM
That's a wrap.

5-4 Pitt.

That really opens up the weekend.

:):):):)

jjasper0729
05-24-2018, 08:11 AM
I'll be walking across the street from my office at lunch to take in a few innings of the Duke game. Let's Go Duke!

devildeac
05-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Wow, what a shocker. Davidson last year in the big tournament and lowly Pitt this year. All week the heels were vowing that it would not happen again this year. And just like that,the favorite is eliminated.

No favorite of mine.

(But, I know what you meant ;).)

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Ryan Day getting the start for Duke today. Senior, right-hander. Finesse guy. Will not blow you away. When he has his command, he's tough. But he has to hit his spots.

JasonEvans
05-24-2018, 10:55 AM
So, if we win our bracket, we would get Pitt in the semis... this is a real opportunity!

Here is the bracket if you want to see how the various pods match up: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/acc.sidearmsports.com/documents/2018/3/19/18ACCBase_Bracket.pdf

HereBeforeCoachK
05-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Ryan Day getting the start for Duke today. Senior, right-hander. Finesse guy. Will not blow you away. When he has his command, he's tough. But he has to hit his spots.

..and frankly, I'd rather play Louisville today.....I'm a big believer in law of averages, and the concept of regressing to the mean right after a particularly good or bad performance. This is especially true in baseball. But it is what it is...

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 11:22 AM
Day works out of a jam in B1. Allows two singles. Needs to tighten up. [Insert Archie Bell and the Drells reference]

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 11:26 AM
Griffin Roberts dominating Duke early. 13 pitches for six easy outs.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Duke leads the ACC in turning double plays and they used the pitcher's best friend to get out of the second, with no score.

Day not sharp early. But he's a grinder.

Somebody in blue needs to start swinging the bat with some effectiveness.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 11:57 AM
Two-out, two-run double off left-field wall and Duke trails 2-0 after three.

Duke looking sluggish.

duketaylor
05-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Wake up 2-0 in the 3rd, still batting.

Hingeknocker
05-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Two-out, two-run double off left-field wall and Duke trails 2-0 after three.

Day really struggled with his control that inning, but I thought his strike zone got squeezed on what could have been a strike-em-out, throw-em-out double play. Instead, it was the second walk in a row to start the inning, which he couldn't quite get out of with 2 outs.

Need the bats to wake up!

duketaylor
05-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Duke at-bats lasting only seconds, sheesh.

Hingeknocker
05-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Day really struggled with his control that inning, but I thought his strike zone got squeezed on what could have been a strike-em-out, throw-em-out double play. Instead, it was the second walk in a row to start the inning, which he couldn't quite get out of with 2 outs.

Need the bats to wake up!

Update: The bats remain asleep. Wake's starter is dominating.

2-0 Wake as we head to B4.

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 12:12 PM
First time ESPN3 has done this to me this year:

This Event has been blacked out in your area.

richardjackson199
05-24-2018, 12:20 PM
First time ESPN3 has done this to me this year:

It's on TV Fox Sports South if you can get to it

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Thank you! Duke cuts the lead the 2-1 as Labosky singles to score Loperfido.

killerleft
05-24-2018, 12:31 PM

Yep, thanks! Watching now on my phone at work during lunch.

Hingeknocker
05-24-2018, 12:31 PM
2-1 Wake, heading to the 6th inning.

If Day's day is done, getting through 5 innings only allowing 2 runs is pretty successful all things considered. He helped himself with another double play in the 5th.

It was nice to see us get some guys on base and scratch out a run in the 5th inning, but we still haven't hit many balls sharply. At least Roberts's pitch count is starting to creep up a little bit.

Hingeknocker
05-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Tie game!

2-2 heading to B6.

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Duke ties it up in the 6th at 2-2.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:04 PM
Duke knows how to turn a double play.

2-2, going to the eighth.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Duke goes quietly in T8.

Stinson in third inning for Duke.

Still 2-2.

nocilla
05-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Duke isn't the home team?

duketaylor
05-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Replay will determine if Duke scores go-ahead run in top 9th. Very close play, call was out.

duketaylor
05-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Wow, so close, I think he's out. Plz be wrong.

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 01:35 PM
That was very close. I'm not sure the catcher tagged Loperfido but with the live action call being "out" there wasn't enough evidence to overturn on replay.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Stinson back out for the ninth.

I suspect we won't see Laboksy or DeCaster on the mound except in a save situation.

Stinson could be done for the weekend, certainly for tomorrow.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Duke making a change with one out.

DeCaster in.

Shows how much I know.

Shows how much Duke wants this win.

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 01:38 PM
Ethan DeCaster coming in to pitch with 1 out in the 9th.

duketaylor
05-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Two out, runner on 2nd, 0-2 count, get this out. strike three called.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Free baseball.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:54 PM
A single and a walk to start off T10.

Top of the order.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Bunt single. Bases loaded, no outs.

duketaylor
05-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Bases loaded, none out;)

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 01:59 PM
Proctor fans.

One out.

Deep, cleansing breath.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Kone pops out weakly.

75Crazie
05-24-2018, 02:04 PM
That really hurts.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Conine fans with bat on shoulder.

Duke certainly has squandered some opportunities.

Five straight Duke batters reached base without Duke scoring a run.

Jarvis out for B10. Saving DeCaster for tomorrow.

Highlander
05-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Duke had bases loaded, no outs, top of the 10th in a tie game with the heart of your order up.

No runs scored. That could be the game. Wake just needs a run to pull this out.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-24-2018, 02:06 PM
Bases loaded, none out, only needing a single run? No excuse for that.

Highlander
05-24-2018, 02:12 PM
Struck out the side. On to the 11th.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:12 PM
Jarvis puts up 1-2-3 in B10.

Louisville has to be loving this. They're off today, resting, while Duke is in extra innings.

richardjackson199
05-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Louisville should take Wake out to eat after this, regardless of outcome. Wake saved their stud starting pitcher for Duke, costing Wake any chance at their season. And Wake going all out today. I don't blame them for trying to win their last game. But lots of extra innings in day 1 of what should have been a meaningless tourney game is not ideal. At this point, hopefully we can win it and build some character with the tough win.

devildeac
05-24-2018, 02:21 PM
Bases loaded, none out, only needing a single run? No excuse for that.

Hell, why not a suicide squeeze like Pitt pulled on the cheats?!?!:confused:

HereBeforeCoachK
05-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Louisville should take Wake out to eat after this, regardless of outcome. Wake saved their stud starting pitcher for Duke, costing Wake any chance at their season. And Wake going all out today. I don't blame them for trying to win their last game. But lots of extra innings in day 1 of what should have been a meaningless tourney game is not ideal. At this point, hopefully we can win it and build some character with the tough win.

Wake people sometimes have a severe case of Duke envy.....

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Hell, why not a suicide squeeze like Pitt pulled on the cheats?!?!:confused:

I was thinking of a safety squeeze when Kone was up with one out.

The problem with a suicide squeeze in that situation is that you greatly increase the risk of taking the bat out of Conine's hands.

I know, I know. But in the aggregate, Duke wants Conine up in that situation.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:29 PM
New pitcher for Wake.

Anthony Menendez. Only 22 IP this year. Time to unlimber the bats.

devildeac
05-24-2018, 02:31 PM
Wake people sometimes have a severe case of Duke envy...

Only sometimes? :rolleyes:;)

devildeac
05-24-2018, 02:33 PM
I was thinking of a safety squeeze when Kone was up with one out.

The problem with a suicide squeeze in that situation is that you greatly increase the risk of taking the bat out of Conine's hands.

I know, I know. But in the aggregate, Duke wants Conine up in that situation.

All reasonable discussion. So many ways to score in that situation. Sad to get nothing. :(

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:45 PM
So much for the squeeze.

Duke goes scoreless against a freshman with an ERA on the wrong side of 9.00.

My cardiologist would not like this.

Duke's clutch hitting has been abysmal.

Jarvis back out for Duke.

DukieInKansas
05-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Maybe I should turn off the game. I'm not bringing them any luck.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 02:49 PM
And we go to the 13th.

Wake keeps giving Duke the game and Duke keeps giving it back.

If Menendez regresses to the mean, Duke should have a big inning.

devildeac
05-24-2018, 02:51 PM
Darn shame none of Clemson's extra runs yesterday were available. :rolleyes:

Highlander
05-24-2018, 02:51 PM
So much for the squeeze.

Duke goes scoreless against a freshman with an ERA on the wrong side of 9.00.

My cardiologist would not like this.

Duke's clutch hitting has been abysmal.

Jarvis back out for Duke.

My brother in law is the HC at Belmont Abbey, a DII school outside of Charlotte. They made it to the regional finals Monday and got a rematch against a team they beat 7-3 in the semis. They had bases loaded in the 10th or 11th with their best hitter (conference MVP) at the plate and a 3-0 count. You can guess what happened. He struck out after a dubious called second strike (ump didn't want to walk the winning run home IMO). Wheels finally came off in the 12th and they lost. They then dropped the rubber match later that afternoon. This game is like deja-vu.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:01 PM
Duke working on their 4th DH.

Can Mann get it done?

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Hit by an 0-2 pitch.

Bases loaded, two outs.

Highlander
05-24-2018, 03:03 PM
So far, our best offense in the 13th has come off of WF pitching plunking our batters.

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Bases loaded again with the last two batters HBP. Let's get this done!

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:05 PM
Bases-loaded walk.

Highlander
05-24-2018, 03:06 PM
The MVP of this game for Duke? The WF bullpen. 2 HBP and a bases loaded walk.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:09 PM
Dockman warming up for Duke.

Labosky is warming up during Wake's pitching change.

After that, he's on first base.

He's pretty adept at waeming up under duress but this might be a new, even for him.

Another wrinkle. Nichols usually goes to third when Labosky closes. But Duke used him as a pinch runner.

We shall see.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:11 PM
Witt walks in another.

chrishoke
05-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Maybe we won't have to use Jack.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:15 PM
That cratered for Wake in a hurry.

Why didn't Proctor do that two hours ago and save us a lot of trouble? :)

richardjackson199
05-24-2018, 03:17 PM
I have volunteered to pitch the bottom of 13th for Duke! :cool:

ChillinDuke
05-24-2018, 03:18 PM
That cratered for Wake in a hurry.

Why didn't Proctor do that two hours ago and save us a lot of trouble? :)

For those of us that don't have a feed (or are using you as a feed), what exactly did Proctor do?

Please respond: Salami Sandwich.

- Chillin

Highlander
On only two base hits in the 13th, Duke bats 9 players, scores 4, runs and left 2 OB. Wake's bullpen is done.

3 outs away from a program record 40th win.

Bob Green
Headed to B13: Duke 6, WF 2.

devildeac
05-24-2018, 03:20 PM
I have volunteered to pitch the bottom of 13th for Duke! :cool:

I thought you had a day job.

:p

DukieInKansas
Turning sound off and ignoring the video seems to have worked.

Highlander
For those of us that don't have a feed (or are using you as a feed), what exactly did Proctor do?

Please respond: Salami Sandwich.

- Chillin

I believe Proctor has had RISP once or twice late and failed to deliver. Finally got a single down in the 13th that scored 2.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Duke stringing Wake alone.

Time for a 6-4-3.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 03:31 PM
6-2 in the books.

School record for wins. 40-14.

Bob Green
05-24-2018, 03:31 PM
That's a winner!

#40 on the season.

jwillfan
05-24-2018, 03:33 PM
What a battle! Pitching was outstanding, finally had a breakthrough inning. Now we have to beat Louisville to move on to Saturday. Really impressive outing by Bryce Jarvis

devildeac
05-24-2018, 03:35 PM
*sigh of relief*

Thanks for all the updates!

HereBeforeCoachK
05-24-2018, 03:38 PM
6-2 in the books.

School record for wins. 40-14.

Blood pressure back down under 150/99........barely! Now time to start worrying about arms.

ChillinDuke
05-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Nice win!!!

- Chillin

chrishoke
05-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Congrats to the team on 40! We need the bats to wake up tomorrow.

richardjackson199
05-24-2018, 03:58 PM
The win came at a cost to available bullpen pitchers, but at least we got win #40. (Stinson and Jarvis are presumably now out tomorrow and not sure either would be sufficiently rested to pitch Saturday either).

Hopefully Stallings has a great start tomorrow, and pitches the whole game. ;) If he falters early, Duke could use Chillari, #4 starter. Ideally we want Stallings to go 6 innings, and hopefully more.
We need to save Laskey, #3 Starter, hopefully for Pitt on Saturday. Duke also has DeCaster (stud), Dockman (good numbers), Mervis (not quite as good), and if Labosky can go tomorrow, he could close. After that it gets very dicey (players who have pitched less than 12 innings this season). We probably could get 3, maybe 4 innings out of Decaster and Labosky combined.

This is actually a great warmup for next week. This is precisely what happens in regionals where you must win 3 games to advance. Gotta show some moxy.

Go Duke!

buddy
05-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Congrats to the team on 40! We need the bats to wake up tomorrow.

May need more than the bats to come awake. Louisville could not have asked for a better outcome (except maybe for the game to last even longer)

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Stallings will start and DeCaster (10 pitches today) and Labosky (24) should be available to finish.

But the bridge between Stallings and the end of the bullpen should involve some decisions.

I would think Jarvis and/or Stinson should be good to go Saturday, should the opportunity arise.

But not likely tomorrow.

Which leaves Matt Dockman, Marr Mervis, maybe Bill Chilliari. But Chilliari has been a frequent midweek starter, so it makes sense to hold him for Sunday.

Duke really needs Stallings to eat some innings. If Duke can get through six with a lead, I feel pretty good, get through seven with a lead, I'll feel real good.

But that's a big if. Louisville is rested and playing really well.

Pollard made it clear in the postgame that Duke went all out in this one because of hosting implications. Duke really wants to open next week at home.

Ryan Day came in for much-deserved praise. Pollard says that Day may have had his worst stuff of the season. But he's a grinder and his ability to work out of jams kept Duke in the game.

Labosky says he needs 10 pitches to warm up. I believe him. I think he could warm up on the way from his couch to his car.

chrishoke
05-24-2018, 07:24 PM
The Cavs beat NCS in a meaningless game 4-2.

richardjackson199
05-24-2018, 07:36 PM

Exactly, meaningless. I'm sure State was saving all their best pitchers or at least limiting their pitch count.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Interesting factoid.

Duke is the only North Carolina school with a win so far. State, Carolina and Wake are a combined 0-4.

Who'd a thunk it?

duke2x
05-24-2018, 08:47 PM
I tuned in right before the crucial 9th inning out. I didn't expect to have to leave during the 13th once we walked in a run. Congrats on the win. We always have to put forth more effort to beat the Deacons regardless of sport.

Louisville is our last known chance for a quality win. They probably think they have an outside chance to host as well. I'm not sure beating Louisville will be enough--we can't lose to Pitt (29-25) the next day. I cited the reasons on the other thread, but we've got a lot working against us beyond our current #19 RPI on warrennolan.com. I really think we need closer to RPI #12 to be safe.

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 09:19 PM

Sort of.

State feels like one win guarantees them a host spot.

Duke feels like it needs two.

So, State held Brown out for FSU.

A roll of the dice.

But if they lose that one and a good chunk of the teams clustered around them have better weeks, than it could get dicey. I suspect they would slide in even with a loss to FSU, because FSU's RPI is so high, a loss wouldn't hurt State much.

But they would have liked a win today, without question.

These teams want to win the ACCT, for sure. And Pitt and Miami have a chance to get the automatic bid.

But the teams who are NCAA locks prioritize the NCAAs over the ACCT and by a sizeable margin. They're trying to position themselves for next week.

jhmoss1812
05-24-2018, 09:35 PM

Second time that Brian O'Connor and the Cavs end their season with a win

richardjackson199
05-24-2018, 10:20 PM
I tuned in right before the crucial 9th inning out. I didn't expect to have to leave during the 13th once we walked in a run. Congrats on the win. We always have to put forth more effort to beat the Deacons regardless of sport.

Louisville is our last known chance for a quality win. They probably think they have an outside chance to host as well. I'm not sure beating Louisville will be enough--we can't lose to Pitt (29-25) the next day. I cited the reasons on the other thread, but we've got a lot working against us beyond our current #19 RPI on warrennolan.com. I really think we need closer to RPI #12 to be safe.

One thing is certain - we have to beat Louisville. It's Duke's most important game this season. Beyond that, whether we host totally depends on what the 10-20 ranked teams do in their conference tourneys. But I like having Pitt waiting on Saturday, and if we beat the Cardinals, I like our chances.

Let's go Duke!

devildeac
05-25-2018, 01:12 AM
I'm scratching my head/chin on how/why Pitt's W over the cheats eliminates them from the ACC championship picture.

I like it. A lot. But still can't figure it out. Can someone please explain to this old fella? Thanks.

JasonEvans
05-25-2018, 01:20 AM
I'm scratching my head/chin on how/why Pitt's W over the cheats eliminates them from the ACC championship picture.

I like it. A lot. But still can't figure it out. Can someone please explain to this old fella? Thanks.

Pitt beat Ga Tech in game one of their pod (2-1 score in the 11am game on Tuesday). When Pitt beat UNC in game two it meant that Pitt was 2-0 and no one else could be better than 1-1. Does that make sense?

devildeac
05-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Pitt beat Ga Tech in game one of their pod (2-1 score in the 11am game on Tuesday). When Pitt beat UNC in game two it meant that Pitt was 2-0 and no one else could be better than 1-1. Does that make sense?

Tuesday was sooooo long ago :o. Makes complete sense now. Thank you.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Louisville in their Ninja-Warrior all-black for today's game. New Zealand would be impressed.

Duke in sun-deflecting white.

Unfortunately, no sun at the moment.

Duke will be home team.

Cards starting Adam Wolf, a lefty, 6-2, 2.33 ERA.

So, runs might be at a premium. Duke needs to do a better job of turning runners into runs.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Stallings getting shellacked. Throwing lots of pitches, most of them ineffective.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Disasterous start.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 11:28 AM
This could get away in a hurry.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 11:30 AM
I hope the strike zone is this tight in the bottom of the inning.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 11:34 AM
the eighth hitter with a 2 run single. 4-0 still only 2 outs.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Stallings throws 34 pitches in a four-run first.

Sub-optimal.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Stallings throws 34 pitches in a four-run first.

Sub-optimal.

I think I'll hold off a while before tuning in...:eek:

HereBeforeCoachK
05-25-2018, 11:37 AM
This could get away in a hurry.

I was not encouraged by Pollards comments post game yesterday - he kept saying over and over again how emotionally tired they were.....

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Herron singles then gets picked off. Doesn't looik like our guys came ready to play.

Indoor66
05-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Doesn't looik like our guys came ready to play.

That seems a rather hasty observation.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Going back to the general Duke baseball thread earlier in the week, I expressed my concern for the schedule, which had Duke off until Thursday and then with games on Friday, Saturday and Sunday needed for a Duke title.

Then Duke has to go 13 to win on Thursday. As the visiting team, which adds to the pressure in an extra-inning game.

That took a lot out of Duke.

While Louisville was resting.

No conspiracy here. You can't have six games a day in the same place, although the SEC might give it a shot one day.

But it's a tough task for Duke.

Stallings helped with a 1-2-4 second inning. Stops the bleeding.

But Duke needs to answer and answer soon.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 11:49 AM
That seems a rather hasty observation.

Admittedly small sample size.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 12:01 PM
I wish we had this Mitch Stallings an hour ago.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 12:11 PM
On the board via a Kone rbi two out single.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 12:15 PM
Duke swinging some bats. But a bad at-bat by Conine, ending in a looking K.

4-1 after three.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Danger, Will Robinson, danger.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 12:24 PM
bases loaded, one out for the cards.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2018, 12:25 PM
bases loaded, one out for the cards.

Hard to read that and your sig at the same time. ;)

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 12:27 PM
ball game

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 12:32 PM
I close my eyes and hear Don Meredith crooning, "turn out the lights, the party's over."

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 01:04 PM
Nice play to keep the score in single digits

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 01:06 PM
9-2. The rally begins.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Need a few long balls.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Way too many called third strikes.

If you're going to go down, go down swinging. Literally and figuratively.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 01:46 PM
109 pitches. 8 strikeouts

richardjackson199
05-25-2018, 03:24 PM
I think it's safe to say Duke will be a 2 seed. We should hope to get paired up with ECU as our 1. That is much better than other natural options Florida and Georgia.

We also could get paired with UConn or Stetson

richardjackson199
05-25-2018, 03:57 PM
This is one of the worst baseball errors you will ever see from Ole Miss Georgia game:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/5/24/17391302/sec-tournament-baseball-throw-home-mistake

HereBeforeCoachK
05-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Anyone question the choice of starter today? Or did we have no other options?

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Anyone question the choice of starter today? Or did we have no other options?

Stallings is a senior, a weekend starter for two seasons and had been reasonably effective until recently.

When he's on, he's tough. Eight innings, one earned run against Miami, 6.1 IP, 2 ER against State.

But he has struggled lately. GT lit him up last week.

If Duke is to have any chance of advancing out of next week's regionals, they need to figure out what's wrong with Stallings and get it fixed.

I'll repeat. Duke's bullpen is elite. The starters are pedestrian. If Duke can get to the pen with a tie or a lead, they are a tough out. But Stallings hasn't given them that chance recently.

But I can't second guess the decision to start him today. I think he's earned that opportunity.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Georgia Tech thought they were on the NCAA bubble going into today's game against UNC.

If so, they aren't making much of a case.

9-0 Heels, in B4.

And that's with their ace starting.

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 05:37 PM
Georgia Tech thought they were on the NCAA bubble going into today's game against UNC.

If so, they aren't making much of a case.

9-0 Heels, in B4.

And that's with their ace starting.

B7 still 9-0. The triangle schools have sucked in the tourney.

duke2x
05-25-2018, 05:48 PM
I think it's safe to say Duke will be a 2 seed. We should hope to get paired up with ECU as our 1. That is much better than other natural options Florida and Georgia.

We also could get paired with UConn or Stetson

I still think Duke ranks #17-20 on the NCAA's list despite the ugly loss today. I'm leaning toward @Coastal Carolina as our destination. It makes sense from ranking (hi 2 v. lo 1) and travel (few schools can bus there) perspective. Duke, while still having to fly, is closer to Storrs than most schools. I would probably put that #2 on my list, particularly if NCSU or ECU lose their hosting hopes.

I don't see ECU (already played), FL (#1 should play #30-32), or UGA (top 5 should play #25-30). Even if they don't use a true "S-curve", the NCAA doesn't completely abandon the concept.

The fact that TX Tech is the only guaranteed site in the Lone Star state makes me think Texas A&M (good RPI and run in the SEC tournament) and TX (collapse in Big 12 tournament) could also be in the cards. That is as notable as the lack of venues in Big 10/New England to me.

devildeac
05-25-2018, 05:54 PM

Go Duke.

Go Pack.

9F.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Stallings is a senior, a weekend starter for two seasons and had been reasonably effective until recently.

When he's on, he's tough. Eight innings, one earned run against Miami, 6.1 IP, 2 ER against State.

But he has struggled lately. GT lit him up last week.

If Duke is to have any chance of advancing out of next week's regionals, they need to figure out what's wrong with Stallings and get it fixed.

I'll repeat. Duke's bullpen is elite. The starters are pedestrian. If Duke can get to the pen with a tie or a lead, they are a tough out. But Stallings hasn't given them that chance recently.

But I can't second guess the decision to start him today. I think he's earned that opportunity.

Thanks for the insight....and yes, the pen is elite. For most of the year, it seemed the starters were good and the hitting was pedestrian. The bats have warmed some the last month, but starters seem to be struggling. Hard to herd all the cats I guess. And FTR, I think Pollard is awesome....just wondered why he so emphasized WF game over UL game (or so it seemed).

chrishoke
05-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Ooooops. My bad. I thought the heels were losing. Work sur does get in the way. They still suck. GTHC GTH!

richardjackson199
05-25-2018, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the insight...and yes, the pen is elite. For most of the year, it seemed the starters were good and the hitting was pedestrian. The bats have warmed some the last month, but starters seem to be struggling. Hard to herd all the cats I guess. And FTR, I think Pollard is awesome...just wondered why he so emphasized WF game over UL game (or so it seemed).

Pollard is awesome. Duke was in a tough spot. We needed at least 2 wins, and I can't blame him for trying to get 1 vs. Wake. Hindsight is 20/20, and the 13 innings was not ideal. It sure would have been nice to have been safe at home, beating Wake in 9 innings.

But Stallings poor outing should not have been affected by Wake Forest at all. Stallings was our #1 pitcher, and deserved today's start. It will be interesting to see what lineup of pitchers we use next week for regionals, though.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-25-2018, 09:01 PM
Pollard is awesome. Duke was in a tough spot. We needed at least 2 wins, and I can't blame him for trying to get 1 vs. Wake. Hindsight is 20/20, and the 13 innings was not ideal. It sure would have been nice to have been safe at home, beating Wake in 9 innings.

But Stallings poor outing should not have been affected by Wake Forest at all. Stallings was our #1 pitcher, and deserved today's start. It will be interesting to see what lineup of pitchers we use next week for regionals, though.

Stallings, at 3-4, was the number one pitcher on a team where the rest of the staff has a combined record of 37-10?

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 09:18 PM
Stallings, at 3-4, was the number one pitcher on a team where the rest of the staff has a combined record of 37-10?

A lot of those 37 wins were midweek games against mid-major teams or Sunday starts against the other opponent's third-best starter.

Stallings had neither luxury.

Top starters frequently have deceptive W/L records because they frequently face only other top starters.

Again, no one who closely follows Duke baseball is second-guessing Pollard's decision to start Stallings today.

Meanwhile, back in the Bull City, the Atlantic Coast Conference and the downtown Durham hospitality community are nine outs away from a Saturday semifinal weekend including Pittsburgh, Louisville, Clemson and Florida State.

Much wailing, gnashing of teeth and tearing of garments.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Make that six outs.

FSU 5 NCSU 2 after seven.

NCSU started their ace, ACC pitcher of the year Brian Brown.

He did not have his best stuff.

Fortunately, no one in China cares.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 09:53 PM
A 121-pitch, complete game for Drew Parrish.

5-2 Noles.

CameronBornAndBred
05-25-2018, 10:29 PM
A 121-pitch, complete game for Drew Parrish.

5-2 Noles.

Thanks much for all of the tourney updates, Jim, including the non-Duke games. Couldn't spork you, but very deserving.

jimsumner
05-25-2018, 11:25 PM
Thanks much for all of the tourney updates, Jim, including the non-Duke games. Couldn't spork you, but very deserving.

Thanks.

I don't see how Duke has any realistic chance at hosting.

But there may be one opportunity for staying close to home. That would be placing Duke second in the ECU regional. Lots of talk about that in Durham tonight but I'm not sure any of the speculation was especially informed.

Selection show Monday at noon, ESPNU.

arnie
05-26-2018, 07:16 AM
Thanks.

I don't see how Duke has any realistic chance at hosting.

But there may be one opportunity for staying close to home. That would be placing Duke second in the ECU regional. Lots of talk about that in Durham tonight but I'm not sure any of the speculation was especially informed.

Selection show Monday at noon, ESPNU.

I also appreciated the updates throughout. Elliott Avent said he’s certain the Pack will host a sub regional; but the Pack’s RPI has now slipped to about 20. I guess he’s using the power of positive thinking or he likes the “victim” approach if they are snubbed?

duke2x
05-26-2018, 10:55 AM
I also appreciated the updates throughout. Elliott Avent said he’s certain the Pack will host a sub regional; but the Pack’s RPI has now slipped to about 20. I guess he’s using the power of positive thinking or he likes the “victim” approach if they are snubbed?

I've helped to hijack this into a bracketology thread, but that's where Duke's season is at right now.

Avent has to say things like that even if he doesn't believe them 100%. They really need TAMU and Louisville to be eliminated today. State fans will go absolutely bonkers if they are the #2 seed @ECU. They didn't play this year.

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 12:46 PM
NCSU?

Former Wolfpack coach Ray Tanner is head of the selection committee.

More than a few folks here think that might be enough to move the needle just enough in State's direction.

State would indeed hate to go to Greenville. There is no love lost there.

Quote from a well-placed Wolfpack source and longtime friend.

"No one wants to go to Greenville and get their heads bashed in by a bunch of guys you recruited but couldn't get into school."

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 04:12 PM
Louisville ends Pitt's season 5-2.

Plays winner of Clemson-FSU-tomorrow for title.

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Start of FSU-Clemson game in weather delay.

CameronBornAndBred
05-26-2018, 05:46 PM
Louisville ends Pitt's season 5-2.

Plays winner of Clemson-FSU-tomorrow for title.

If we were gonna lose, I'd always rather lose to the guys that move on. (Unless it's the heels, then they can get shellacked their next game.)

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Wheels up at 6:30, 90 minutes late.

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Nice game here in Durham.

Clemson up 3-2 after four. Two really good teams, with lots of tradition on their side.

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 09:16 PM
Pretty good game here folks.

FSU tied it at 4 in T8, then loaded bases, with no outs. But Clemson worked out of it, with two K's and a groundout.

Still tied, B8.

jimsumner
05-26-2018, 09:46 PM
FSU gets run in ninth and wins 5-4.