PDA

View Full Version : Brutal college football hit was intentional

JasonEvans
05-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Not sure if this belongs on the main page or Off-topic. I mean, it is about college sports...

Anyway, regardless of where it belongs, you all need to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJM5sZhrK1U

This is a play from a Japanese College Football game (I had no idea college football was a thing in Japan... but ok). The QB is badly hurt and will be out for several weeks. This is one of the most blatant late hits I have ever seen. There is no way it is anything but intentional. But, the big scandal is this... the player who made the hit claims his coach told him to injure the QB (https://deadspin.com/japanese-college-football-world-rocked-after-player-rev-1826233548).

Miyagawa addressed the national press and said that Uchida ordered him, through an assistant coach, to injure the opposing quarterback in order to prove that he cared enough about football to stay on the team. “After the practice (on May 5), [assistant coach Tsumotu] Inoue said to me, ‘I asked head coach what you would need to do to play in the game, he said if you squash the quarterback on the first play, we would let you play. So go tell him ‘I’ll squash the quarterback, so use me,’” Miyagawa recalled, later clarifying that the he understood the staff wanted him to knock Okuno out of the game.

-Jason "I don't even know what to say about this... whew... but I think someone needs to go to jail" Evans

BD80
05-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Not sure if this belongs on the main page or Off-topic. I mean, it is about college sports...

Anyway, regardless of where it belongs, you all need to see this.

This is a play from a Japanese College Football game (I had no idea college football was a thing in Japan... but ok). The QB is badly hurt and will be out for several weeks. This is one of the most blatant late hits I have ever seen. There is no way it is anything but intentional. But, the big scandal is this... the player who made the hit claims his coach told him to injure the QB (https://deadspin.com/japanese-college-football-world-rocked-after-player-rev-1826233548).

-Jason "I don't even know what to say about this... whew... but I think someone needs to go to jail" Evans

Using Google translator: Miyagawa = Vontaze Burfict

weezie
05-22-2018, 03:33 PM
I understand the choice to post but this stuff makes me feel sick. I cannot stand watching injuries.

TruBlu
05-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Jason, if the coach told him to do it, then TWO “someones” need to go to jail.

Has anyone ever been criminally charged for an assault carried out during a game, and were they convicted?!?

uh_no
05-22-2018, 03:46 PM
Jason, if the coach told him to do it, then TWO “someones” need to go to jail.

Has anyone ever been criminally charged for an assault carried out during a game, and were they convicted?!?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Bertuzzi%E2%80%93Steve_Moore_incident

Yup.

Beyond his NHL and IIHF suspensions, legal action was taken against Bertuzzi in the provincial courts of British Columbia and Ontario, as well as in Colorado state court. After a four-month investigation, the criminal justice branch of the Attorney General of British Columbia announced on June 24, 2004, he was being formally charged with assault causing bodily harm.[21] With the charge, Bertuzzi faced up to one-and-a-half years in prison.[22] Several months later, on December 22, Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to the assault charge after arranging a plea bargain with prosecutors. He was given a conditional discharge requiring 80 hours of community service and one year's probation that additionally prohibited him from playing in any hockey game Moore was competing in.

Bob Green
05-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Here is an article from The Japan Times an English language newspaper:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/05/22/more-sports/football/nichidais-taisuke-miyagawa-says-coach-ordered-dirty-hits-football-game/#.WwR3r3ovzIU

The quarterback's family has filed a criminal complaint:

On Monday night, the quarterback’s father held a news conference in Osaka and said that his family had filed a criminal complaint over the matter.

Head Coach Masato Uchida has resigned:

Uchida flew to Kansai on Saturday to apologize to the player and his parents in person, yet declined to comment on whether he and his coaching staff instructed Miyagawa injure the quarterback. The 62-year-old stepped down from his position the same day.

Miyagawa says he does not intend to continue to play football:

“I don’t think I have a right to continue to play American football,” he said. “Going forward, I have no intention to keep playing American football.”

WiJoe
05-22-2018, 04:47 PM
must be the off-season

CameronBornAndBred
05-22-2018, 08:33 PM
I like the "Please keep clean" sign on the stands. Do they mean the stadium, or personally? Both are good suggestions.

Reilly
05-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Aaron Rouse's was worse, in my opinion.