PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #119 - Dukies in the NBA

JasonEvans
05-21-2018, 04:56 PM
https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-119-dukies-in-the-nba

0:00 Thanks to Byrd Campbell
0:30 Jason welcomes us and Donald talks about watching way too many Marvel movies this week. Meanwhile, Sam is sitting on Donald’s couch.
4:00 Dukies in the NBA playoffs, we begin with Jayson Tatum, super-rookie.
16:25 Time to turn to JJ Redick and Jason asks a JJ trivia question that Donald whiffs on in the worst way possible.
22:50 Sam talks about what JJ brought to the Sixers off the court, as a leader.
30:05 We have a quick conversation about Rodney Hood and Quinn Cook, the other Dukies still alive in the playoffs.
38:40 Jason probably says something foolish… he thinks the Celtics might have a chance against the Warriors or Rockets.
40:25 Our NBA Draft conversation begins with San laughing at people being impressed with Grayson Allen’s athleticism.
51:25 Jason talks about a couple other ACC guys who have tough decisions to make about coming back to school or staying in the draft.
53:15 ByrdCampbell.com, your destination for legal advice.
53:50 Joey Baker is the newest member of the class of 2018. We talk about whether he will impact the 2018 team all that much or if he will redshirt.
1:01:05 Parting Shots – Donald tells us about the Dukies contending to run the Detroit Pistons.
1:03:45 Parting Shots – Jason talks about the possibility of a woman coaching a NBA team.
1:07:55 Parting Shots – Sam brings up the Supreme Court ruling on sports gambling nationwide.
1:14:30 Goodbye and Duke band

richardjackson199
05-22-2018, 01:14 PM
I enjoyed the podcast as always.

It was mentioned that Duval is widely considered a 2nd round pick. I believe that, looking at most of the mocks. It was said that he didn't play in the combine due to belief that it might hurt his stock.

But if you're widely considered 2nd round anyway, why not just play in the combine scrimmages just in case? Duval showed flashes of brilliance this year. If he just happened to have a brilliant performance in the combine, maybe he could have improved his stock to possible first round like Gary did.

Pretty safe to say Carter made the right choice, since he is expected to go 6-7. I shudder to imagine his Mom's quotes next year if he had stayed.

JasonEvans
05-22-2018, 01:43 PM
I enjoyed the podcast as always.

It was mentioned that Duval is widely considered a 2nd round pick. I believe that, looking at most of the mocks. It was said that he didn't play in the combine due to belief that it might hurt his stock.

But if you're widely considered 2nd round anyway, why not just play in the combine scrimmages just in case? Duval showed flashes of brilliance this year. If he just happened to have a brilliant performance in the combine, maybe he could have improved his stock to possible first round like Gary did.

I forget which of my compadres said it, but one of them pointed out that Duval showed off his best stuff -- his athleticism and physical attributes -- by being measured and doing athletic drills. But, he kept his worst attributes -- his in game play, which can be rather erratic -- under wraps by not playing in the scrimmages. Seems like a reasonable plan to me.

That said, I kinda agree with you. He should have maybe played in at least one scrimmage... if he played like he did the 2nd half against FSU or some of his other strong games, he could certainly have played his way into the first round... though he was so inconsistent this year, there could be a real risk of him hurting his stock. There is no easy answer for a guy like Duval who is more promise than polished.

richardjackson199
05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
I forget which of my compadres said it, but one of them pointed out that Duval showed off his best stuff -- his athleticism and physical attributes -- by being measured and doing athletic drills. But, he kept his worst attributes -- his in game play, which can be rather erratic -- under wraps by not playing in the scrimmages. Seems like a reasonable plan to me.

That said, I kinda agree with you. He should have maybe played in at least one scrimmage... if he played like he did the 2nd half against FSU or some of his other strong games, he could certainly have played his way into the first round... though he was so inconsistent this year, there could be a real risk of him hurting his stock. There is no easy answer for a guy like Duval who is more promise than polished.

Yep to me it was a curious decision. The fact that Duval's in-game play can be rather erratic with poor shooting is his current reputation and why his stock is currently likely 2nd round, so not really under wraps.

If Duval was a likely first-round pick, I'd absolutely understand being measured, jumping out of the gym for them, and doing athletic drills only. His stock would have nowhere to go but down by playing poorly.

But assuming he's a 2nd round pick, even playing poorly in the scrimmages wouldn't hurt his stock that much. He's going to be drafted at worst in the 2nd round, regardless of how he would have played in the combine. His potential reward to a team is too high not to take a chance on him with a 2nd round pick. His weaknesses could improve. His strengths cannot be taught.

Whereas the potential reward of playing in the combine for Duval seems worth the risk. For example, against Iona Duval shot 4-5 threes, scored 19 points on 7-11 shooting, and had 8 assists. If he went out there in the combine and just happened to play like that, he could definitely play his way back into first round consideration. That was an outlier for him, but that's the beauty of the combine. It's a small sample size, so high potential reward if you can perform well above your statistical mean for a few games. Contrast that with not playing, as he did, impress with measurements, as he did, and remain a likely 2nd round pick.

Maybe Duval likes where he stands with his stock. Maybe he expects to get a guaranteed contract from a 2nd round pick team like the Pistons, and didn't want to risk a bad performance in the combine.

Or maybe Duval and his team know something the mocks don't, and he really still expects he has a decent chance to be a first round pick. Hopefully that is the case! :cool:

To me, Duval not playing tells me that for whatever reason, Duval and his camp didn't feel like he needed to play to try to improve his current stock. That makes me more optimistic about my pie bet. There are many other possible explanations, and I'm probably wrong. But I'm going to keep believing that for now. :D