PDA

View Full Version : Duke Barber Shop Closing

CrazyNotCrazie
05-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Sad news. As a northeasterner arriving at Duke in the 90s, David Fowler was one of my first exposures to a true southern gentleman. He and the others took a lot of pride in their work and making everyone feel welcome. The conversations between him and the other men who cut hair (I believe one was named Albert and I'm blanking on the other one - he had a high pitched voice) were always very entertaining. I hope David enjoys his retirement and the other barbers succeed in their new locations.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/05/duke-barbershop-to-close-at-the-end-of-the-month-as-longtime-manager-david-fowler-leaves

weezie
05-18-2018, 10:10 AM
Oh, bummer! Yes, Albert loved telling customers that he used to cut Sonny Jurgenson's hair in the olden days. There was something really kind of sweet about how the barbers gently teased their clients.

My husband is going to be sad! He loved going in there during hoops season and pretending he was just a kid again.

94duke
05-18-2018, 10:59 AM
Bummer indeed!
I got my hair cut there for all four years!
I didn't know it moved to the Bryan Center.
Where will the students get there hair cut now?

aimo
05-18-2018, 12:36 PM
(I believe one was named Albert and I'm blanking on the other one - he had a high pitched voice[/url]

Yes, Albert Starr and Bud Midgette.

YmoBeThere
05-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Albert Cut my hair all 4 years I was there...