PDA

View Full Version : My best lefty remembrance

Dopeshop
05-12-2018, 11:51 AM
While at Davidson , Lefty's recruiting budget was zilch . He cruised the small towns of the South looking for talent (e.g.Terry Holland from Clinton ,NC)

He kept an eye out for outdoor basketball courts . NOTHING is worse than an outdoor rim with no net .

And so Lefty ,in his huge sedan , had the trunk stocked with a ladder and a box of basketball nets.When he'd find a barren rim, he'd stop , get the ladder out and thread a brand new cotton net .

He'd also place on the backboard a large decal : " THIS NET PLACED BY DAVIDSON COLLEGE -- GO WILDCATS !"

No one was going to out hustle the left-hander as he proceeded to place Davidson on the Bball map.

RPS
05-12-2018, 12:13 PM
My favorite was a Cameron sign when the Terps visited: "Nixon: Duke's Second Biggest Mistake. Welcome Lefty!"

Devilwin
05-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Saw Lefty at a gas station in Greensboro several years ago. He was shaking and cursing the Coke machine, lol. I went over and asked him what was wrong."He said " this mechanical son of a (redacted) took my money and I got no coke!" I looked down, and saw his coke there, but hung up a bit. I reached down and retrieved it for him, he thanked me and left out in a white jeep. Never will forget that...

wncgrad
05-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Saw Lefty at a gas station in Greensboro several years ago. He was shaking and cursing the Coke machine, lol. I went over and asked him what was wrong."He said " this mechanical son of a (redacted) took my money and I got no coke!" I looked down, and saw his coke there, but hung up a bit. I reached down and retrieved it for him, he thanked me and left out in a white jeep. Never will forget that...

A favorite Lefty quote I have used many times - "I ain't dumb. I went to Duke."

cspan37421
05-13-2018, 06:31 AM

Sounds like the two of you have the skillset to be effective debt collectors!

skysdad
05-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Sounds like the two of you have the skillset to be effective debt collectors!

I may be in the minority but I really liked Lefty. Loved his accent. The Len Bias thing really took a lot out of him. He's still a Dukie.

BeachBlueDevil
05-14-2018, 09:48 AM
I've put this somewhere before in here, however Lefty used to have a weekly sports radio show that came on a now defunct sports station here in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. The show was an hour long on Tuesdays and Lefty would be asked his opinion on various topics in college and pro basketball and it would usually turn into story time (Lefty can tell a story). The last half the show would be Lefty and his co-host interviewing various people throughout the basketball community. Truly a fantastic show and it would make for a heck of a podcast nowadays.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-14-2018, 12:55 PM
Nothing better than a bunch of BOGs grouped behind Lefty wearing their skin heads and mimicking every single move he made. And he gave back as good as he got, loving every minute of it.
Bless his heart. Love, Ima

jb75
05-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Between coaching jobs, for a period of time Lefty appeared on the regional ACC basketball network. He was uncanny with his ability to analyze what was happening during the basketball games. I remember one UNC game, Carolina was using a zone trap press trying to come from behind. He was imploring the opposing team to stay out of the corners etc. Whatever he said would happen did happen ! His analysis certainly changed my opinion of his basketball smarts.