PDA

View Full Version : Fizdale High on Lance

BD80
05-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Well, Fizdale's high on something:

"[Thomas is] a Swiss Army knife-type of player that can guard multiple positions and you can run offense through him," the coach said on WFAN. "I think he can push the ball off the break a lot like Draymond Green plays. Obviously the thing I'm going to demand from Lance is to play defense like Draymond. And be a guy that's pushing to be a First Team All-Defender."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/david-fizdale-believes-lance-thomas-can-be-knicks-version-of-draymond-green/

miramar
05-11-2018, 02:23 PM
It may be worthwhile to recall that when Coach K said that Lance was going to play in the NBA, probably nobody on DBR believed it. I know I didn't.

Good call, coach.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that he thought that Lance would ever sign a four year, $27 million contract.

Dev11
05-11-2018, 02:50 PM
It may be worthwhile to recall that when Coach K said that Lance was going to play in the NBA, probably nobody on DBR believed it. I know I didn't.

Good call, coach.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that he thought that Lance would ever sign a four year, $27 million contract.

The only bummer about Lance Thomas becoming a successful NBA player is that it ruins the argument that his little jewelry scandal was ridiculous because no sane person could have thought in 2010 that he was going to be a successful NBA player. I always believed that and figured there was more to the story that never came out.

Anyway, congratulations, Lance, you proved a lot of supporters wrong, and in a good way.

Reilly
05-11-2018, 03:44 PM
The only bummer about Lance Thomas becoming a successful NBA player is that it ruins the argument that his little jewelry scandal was ridiculous because no sane person could have thought in 2010 that he was going to be a successful NBA player. I always believed that and figured there was more to the story that never came out.

Anyway, congratulations, Lance, you proved a lot of supporters wrong, and in a good way.

You always believed Lance was going to be a successful NBA player? (Not agreeing or disagreeing with your beliefs, just trying to discern what the belief was.)

JetpackJesus
05-11-2018, 03:49 PM
You always believed Lance was going to be a successful NBA player? (Not agreeing or disagreeing with your beliefs, just trying to discern what the belief was.)

I read it the opposite way. That is, Dev11 always believed there was more to the story because he didn't believe LT would ever be a successful NBA player just like everyone else back then.

Reilly
05-11-2018, 03:55 PM
I read it the opposite way. That is, Dev11 always believed there was more to the story because he didn't believe LT would ever be a successful NBA player just like everyone else back then.

Might that mean there was less to the story? If a jeweler thought LT a baller, then that's an improper benefit to a Duke athlete. More story. If if's something else going on, maybe less of a story (from the Duke perspective).

I hope Dev11 never clarifies the statement -- and this just turns into a DBR-fest of what was meant.

Indoor66
05-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Might that mean there was less to the story? If a jeweler thought LT a baller, then that's an improper benefit to a Duke athlete. More story. If if's something else going on, maybe less of a story (from the Duke perspective).

I hope Dev11 never clarifies the statement -- and this just turns into a DBR-fest of what was meant.

It will be a "fest" either way.😋😎

Dukeford
05-12-2018, 07:50 AM
It will be a "fest" either way.😋😎

Fest-i-valllllll

https://thechristiannerd.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/thereturnofthearchonshd265.jpg

Dev11
05-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Alas, I'll clarify that Jetpack had it right. I never thought Lance had NBA potential, so why he was receiving $200k worth of impermissible benefits during his senior season made no sense. As he's gone on to a successful career, the haters will continue to argue that the program is shady yada yada yada.

sagegrouse
05-14-2018, 06:20 PM
Alas, I'll clarify that Jetpack had it right. I never thought Lance had NBA potential, so why he was receiving $200k worth of impermissible benefits during his senior season made no sense. As he's gone on to a successful career, the haters will continue to argue that the program is shady yada yada yada.

A brief summary of Lance's law suit:

A Ukrainian jeweler from the Diamond district in Manhattan sued Lance for $100K in federal court in Texas. The suit was settled for a lesser but unknown sum.

As a skeptical human being, I would venture that the retail amount of the goods in question was a small fraction of the amount of the suit.

I also heard that the jewelry that was, in fact, purchased from the same source came from family funds.