PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for an increase in yellow jackets this summer!

Devilwin
05-06-2018, 10:22 PM
Every year about this time, you'll see insects that look like small European (A.K.A. Japanese) hornets that seem on a mission to find something, checking out crevices or holes in the ground til she finds what she's looking for, a place to start her nest. She is the queen yellow jacket. Quite a bit larger than the typical worker/soldier yellow jacket, she is also somewhat darker in color. But the black striped pattern is always there, but the yellow of her soldiers is replaced by a nearly orange color. She is the only one of her previous colony to survive the winter, and then only if she has been inseminated. This year, I have noticed many more than normal of yellow jacket queens seeking nesting sites, which could very well mean an uptick in the numbers of people stung by these aggressive insects. The best way to avoid conflict is to act now while the queens are seeking their nesting sites. Your local hardware or feed and seed store sells traps that will catch and kill these insects, before they have time to establish colonies, which can hold anywhere from 600 to 1200 workers. Sometimes, they reuse the same nest, and these colonies may be harder to eliminate. One nest in SC contained over 200,000 workers! So take heed and steps to eliminateas many of these queens now as you can. You could be saving yourself some grief later this summer. The peak numbers of yellow jackets in our area here in NC is from mid July til the first hard frost. That will destroy the colonies..

luburch
05-07-2018, 06:30 AM
I have some bad memories with yellow jackets.

Never knew they nested in the ground until I mowed over a colony as a child. Not an experience I recall fondly.

Devilwin
05-07-2018, 06:48 AM
I think we all have those stories. But like I said in the previous post, I have noticed many more queens than normal this year. This may be because of all the cold weather we had back in March and early April. During late winter, if it gets warm and stays that way for several days, many queens emerge and die of starvation, because the species they prey on are dormant. Long cold spells keep them dormant, and when warm Spring temps return and stay, there are more potential nest building queens to deal with. I believe this is the case this year, when it seemed we would never warm up.

Reddevil
05-07-2018, 03:20 PM
I really hope this is not true. I hate, hate, hate them! My favorite eradication technique is to place the nozzle of a running wet/dry vacuum right next to the hole in the ground (often requiring a 50 to 100 ft outside extension cord). Anything coming out or returning gets sucked sideways into the vacuum. I start of spraying Raid or Black Flag or whatever into the hole to get them coming and to have it go into the vacuum creating a noxious environment for them to die, die, die in. I have killed thousands this way. Unfortunately, this usually comes after being stung by several of them thereby accidentally discovering the nest. I have spent hours on YouTube looking for ways to kill them and this is my favorite because once the vacuum is on, I can stand right there and watch it happen for a while, leave and come back in and hour or two for a testing spray, and open the vacuum to see the glorious carnage. When I see one on our property, I pay close attention to where it goes. Man I hate those #%&@ things.:mad:

Devilwin
05-07-2018, 03:49 PM
Unfortunately, I believe it is going to be one of those summers. I can't think of another Spring when I have seen so many yellow jacket queens. Most are the parasitic southern yellow jacket. The queen of this species mimics the pheromone of the eastern yellow jacket, and moves in and kills the eastern queen, because she is slightly larger. Soon, her offspring are ruling the nest, and the eastern workers just die off. Sometimes they don't have their way, however, and as many as three dead southern queens have been found in eastern nests. But 80% of southern yellow jacket nests begin this way. The two can be distinguished by the slightly larger size of the southern species.
One way I catch them is simple. Take a shallow dish and place soapy water in it. Make a tripod and place some fishing line with a hook on it. Place a piece of bologna on the hook, and suspend it around an inch above the water. The insects will gorge on the meat, then dip as they take off, dropping into the liquid mixture where they drown. Last year I got nine queen jackets this way.

Devilwin
05-07-2018, 03:53 PM
My nest eradication is simple, but not recommended. I pour about a pint of gasoline down the hole after dark. That gets them every time. I never light it, however.

BLPOG
05-07-2018, 05:01 PM
My nest eradication is simple, but not recommended. I pour about a pint of gasoline down the hole after dark. That gets them every time. I never light it, however.

A little off topic, but have you ever seen any the molds made by some entomologist(s) of ant colonies? They pour molten aluminum into the ground and it fills up the tunnels and then cools, preserving the colony shape (though not, of course, the colony) to be excavated and studied.

Devilwin
05-07-2018, 05:30 PM
A little off topic, but have you ever seen any the molds made by some entomologist(s) of ant colonies? They pour molten aluminum into the ground and it fills up the tunnels and then cools, preserving the colony shape (though not, of course, the colony) to be excavated and studied.

No, never heard of it. Bet it looks very interesting, however.

Devilwin
05-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Here are some inexpensive traps (home made) that work well to control yellow jacket numbers. The tripod is at the bottom.
http://www.walterreeves.com/gardening-q-and-a/yellowjackets-traps/

BigWayne
05-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Here are some inexpensive traps (home made) that work well to control yellow jacket numbers. The tripod is at the bottom.

The one we have used is similar but even simpler. You take a flat board, like a short piece of 1x2. Smear cat food or some other sticky meat substance on the middle part of one side. Then you lay it meat side down across a flat pan filled with water, leaving enough space for them to crawl underneath the board to feed, but not enough space to fly away.

I also learned the gasoline in the hole at night method from my dad.

Rich
05-07-2018, 11:01 PM

No, never heard of it. Bet it looks very interesting, however.

I just saw this for the first time a few days ago on Facebook. It's very cool. https://www.youtube.com/anthillart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

PackMan97
05-08-2018, 03:34 AM
I never take Yellow Jackets lightly....wish the same could be said for the football team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbTZsf7f5Qg

Highlander
05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
The one we have used is similar but even simpler. You take a flat board, like a short piece of 1x2. Smear cat food or some other sticky meat substance on the middle part of one side. Then you lay it meat side down across a flat pan filled with water, leaving enough space for them to crawl underneath the board to feed, but not enough space to fly away.

I also learned the gasoline in the hole at night method from my dad.

Can't they just walk to the edge and then fly away?

Dad's method was always a little gas, then a match, then digging up with a mattock, then stomping on the nest. He hates those little f'ers. I've been stung on the inner thigh twice. Woe is the yellow jacket who stings me, because I will go Tony Soprano on his entire yellow jacket family.

PSurprise
05-08-2018, 04:37 PM

BigWayne
05-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Can't they just walk to the edge and then fly away?

They don't. They just fly into the water and drown. The one Devilwin posted is the same concept, but just counting on that they glide down a bit before flapping enough to go up.

You can watch a long winded video of how to make one of these. For some reason, it's delivered by a man of the cloth that apparently doesn't like yellowjackets. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng-ylBN43PA)

aimo
05-08-2018, 04:58 PM
I usually start the spring season off by inadvertently "finding" the new yellow jacket nest. Two years ago, I was stung on the wrist. Last year, it was on my ankle - right on the bone! It hurt so bad, it throbbed all night. I've managed to avoid one so far, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

BigWayne
05-08-2018, 05:45 PM
I usually start the spring season off by inadvertently "finding" the new yellow jacket nest. Two years ago, I was stung on the wrist. Last year, it was on my ankle - right on the bone! It hurt so bad, it throbbed all night. I've managed to avoid one so far, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

I "found" a hornet's nest inside my front hedge while trimming the hedge on a July 4th morning one year. Got me right on the upper lip so I looked splendid for the afternoon party.

Bob Green
05-08-2018, 05:50 PM

devildeac
05-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Bob Green wins the internet today. LMAO.

JStuart
05-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Any suggestions as to how to handle the rapidly increasing number of fire ants' nests/colonies that -regrettably- survived the 5-10 degree winter?
Thanks,
JStuart

Acymetric
05-10-2018, 11:53 AM
Any suggestions as to how to handle the rapidly increasing number of fire ants' nests/colonies that -regrettably- survived the 5-10 degree winter?
Thanks,
JStuart

I dumped a bunch of bleach on a giant fire ant hill in my yard last year with great effect.

...There may be more environmentally friendly ways, of course. But I was short on time and did not want my dog to get swarmed by a bunch of fire ants while playing in the yard, and that's what I had on hand.

CPDUKEGUY24
05-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Thanks,
JStuart

The most cost effective way I have heard of is pouring boiling water into the mound, of course be careful when transporting. Note, that if you are dealing with multiple connected, underground colonies, you may need to stay on top of their movements until they decide to move on or are eradicated. I have also heard of using about a cup of Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled on a disturbed hive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

From an agricultural standpoint, and more than you'd probably care to know, here is a thorough assessment with recommendations from our local (triangle) agricultural extension agent, Debbie Roos. https://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-fireants/

Good luck and safe hunting

JStuart
05-11-2018, 12:20 PM
The most cost effective way I have heard of is pouring boiling water into the mound, of course be careful when transporting. Note, that if you are dealing with multiple connected, underground colonies, you may need to stay on top of their movements until they decide to move on or are eradicated. I have also heard of using about a cup of Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled on a disturbed hive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

From an agricultural standpoint, and more than you'd probably care to know, here is a thorough assessment with recommendations from our local (triangle) agricultural extension agent, Debbie Roos. https://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-fireants/

Good luck and safe hunting

Outstanding; Thanks so very much.
JStuart

BigWayne
05-11-2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks,
JStuart

I don't know if this stuff works, but it's a great ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhXl9_K_9qE

Highlander
05-14-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks,
JStuart

Fire Ant control granules have always worked very well for me. A quarter cup or so sprinkled on the mound kills them within a week. I put a container on my lawnmower so I can hit them when I first see them. Ortho makes a decent one. I've never spread it as preventative; only used it for spot treatment.

devildeac
06-30-2018, 02:00 PM
Wife just stung by yellow jacket. Headed to ACE now for a couple cans of foaming wasp/yellow jacket killer with gasoline chaser tonight.

Thanks, DBR!

Devilwin
07-03-2018, 04:24 PM
For fire ants, I recommend the granules. Gasoline will kill them, but like someone else said some will get away and start new nests, so you can possibly wind up spreading the infestation.