PDA

View Full Version : ACC Offseason moves

JasonEvans
04-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Let this be the thread for discussing the comings and goings of ACC teams not named Duke.

Florida State's freshman big man Ike Obiagu has decided to transfer (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23359177/florida-state-seminoles-center-ike-obiagu-leaves-team-says-transfer). No word here he will go. He was really raw offensively but his sheer size was imposing and he was a good rim protector. Not sure why he is leaving as he got decent playing time considering how much he had to learn on the offensive end of the floor.

-Jason "my two sons played basketball against Ike when he played at Greenforest Academy here in Atlanta... he was freaking huge" Evans

Neals384
04-29-2018, 07:01 PM
OT, but... are your boys still playing?

PackMan97
04-29-2018, 10:24 PM
NC State picked up a commitment from Samford's Wyatt Walker. A 6'9" 240 lb forward and and 3rd team all-Southern Conference player as a sophomore. Due to a leg injury, Walker only played two games last season and was granted a redshirt.

He will have two years left to play and be eligible this upcoming season.

JasonEvans
04-30-2018, 09:24 AM
OT, but... are your boys still playing?

Nope, they've moved on to college and are drinking, not playing sports ;)

But, I got to see Ike and Wendell and a couple other prominent D1 talents up close in the small high school metro Atlanta leagues. A couple years ago, my oldest absolutely shut down Deaundrae Ballard, who's a pretty nice player for Florida. Probably the highlight of his career. He also got dunked on by Wendell, no shame in that ;)

Natty_B
04-30-2018, 09:58 AM
BC's Jerome Robinson will stay in the draft (https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018/4/28/17297678/breaking-news-jerome-robinson-hires-agent-will-remain-in-nba-draft) a tough blow for BC and now a lot rides on Ky Bowman's decision. I have a pal who is a huge BC fan and he sarcastically told me "Don't worry we'll replace him with a McDonald's All-American." Perhaps that should be a reminder to us Duke fans how lucky we are to actually root for a team that DOES replace early entries with McDonald All-Americans.

Natty_B
04-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Apologies on this one as it isn't directly "ACC" news but now Joe Cremo (who Duke might have kicked the tires on for a hot minute) is visiting KU and Nova. Odd since those schools weren't on his "final" list from a few weeks ago. If he's willing to look at KU and 'Nova it seems odd that Duke never really went after him besides a phone call.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/990926981767278592

UrinalCake
04-30-2018, 10:33 AM
Maybe he didn’t initially expect Nova and Kansas to be losing so many players, but now that DiVincenzo, Vick, Newman, etc. are in the draft in addition to the known departures, he thinks he could earn some PT at those schools.

A grad transfer is in a very different position than an incoming freshman. Taking fewer minutes in exchange for greater exposure isn’t going to work for them, because they are fighting against the perception that they are too old and have no room for improvement. So Cremo has to go somewhere where he knows he’ll get playing time, and I don’t think he would at Duke.

flyingdutchdevil
04-30-2018, 10:54 AM
Apologies on this one as it isn't directly "ACC" news but now Joe Cremo (who Duke might have kicked the tires on for a hot minute) is visiting KU and Nova. Odd since those schools weren't on his "final" list from a few weeks ago. If he's willing to look at KU and 'Nova it seems odd that Duke never really went after him besides a phone call.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/990926981767278592

Not odd at all. I assume Cremo is looking to start for a contender; he won't start at Duke.

At Nova and KU, he has a chance to start given a) Nova's whole line-up got decimated by draft entry (most non-committal) and b) KU has an excellent frontcourt but no backcourt.

jimsumner
04-30-2018, 02:04 PM
BC's Jerome Robinson will stay in the draft (https://www.bcinterruption.com/2018/4/28/17297678/breaking-news-jerome-robinson-hires-agent-will-remain-in-nba-draft) a tough blow for BC and now a lot rides on Ky Bowman's decision. I have a pal who is a huge BC fan and he sarcastically told me "Don't worry we'll replace him with a McDonald's All-American." Perhaps that should be a reminder to us Duke fans how lucky we are to actually root for a team that DOES replace early entries with McDonald All-Americans.

It should be noted that BC got three years out of lightly-recruited Robinson, not exactly the recent template for Duke's early entries.

So, perhaps an apple and oranges thing.

BD80
04-30-2018, 03:04 PM
It should be noted that BC got three years out of lightly-recruited Robinson, not exactly the recent template for Duke's early entries.

Syracuse is the Orange thing ...

Duke does like to play in the Big Apple ...

Natty_B
04-30-2018, 05:28 PM

I would say a Fuji apple to Honey Crisp apple comparison but YMMV.

Natty_B
04-30-2018, 05:31 PM
Not odd at all. I assume Cremo is looking to start for a contender; he won't start at Duke.

At Nova and KU, he has a chance to start given a) Nova's whole line-up got decimated by draft entry (most non-committal) and b) KU has an excellent frontcourt but no backcourt.

I'd be surprised if DiVincenzo leaves but who knows. Kansas has Charlie Moore next year so not exactly "no" backcourt and all I've heard is how Duke has no shooting and no experience next year so Cremo would seem like a fit. It's just a weird process I guess. Anyway good luck Joe Cremo!

Troublemaker
04-30-2018, 05:42 PM
I'd be surprised if DiVincenzo leaves but who knows. Kansas has Charlie Moore next year so not exactly "no" backcourt and all I've heard is how Duke has no shooting and no experience next year so Cremo would seem like a fit. It's just a weird process I guess. Anyway good luck Joe Cremo!

I agree that Duke's lack of interest was the major factor. Now, maybe Cremo would've ultimately decided that Duke isn't a good fit, but we didn't allow it to get that far. Hopefully an indication that the staff is much more confident about Duke's shooting than Duke fans (and hopefully the staff is right to be confident).

All the big-time programs have competitive situations for playing time. Nova would have Quinerly and Booth in the backcourt even if DiVincenzo stays in the draft.

UrinalCake
04-30-2018, 08:53 PM
I've heard is how Duke has no shooting and no experience next year so Cremo would seem like a fit.

We definitely could use a shooter, but we’re going to give the bulk of our minutes to our non-pure-shooter point guard and wings plus we have Alex who could (hopefully) fill that role. We need Cremo a lot more than he needs us. While it would be great for us to have a veteran to help mentor the young guys and play 20 minutes off the bench, I dont think that’s what he is looking for.

WakeDevil
04-30-2018, 08:58 PM
Everybody is a shooter. Not everybody is much of a scorer.

cato
04-30-2018, 09:01 PM
We definitely could use a shooter, but we’re going to give the bulk of our minutes to our non-pure-shooter point guard and wings plus we have Alex who could (hopefully) fill that role. We need Cremo a lot more than he needs us. While it would be great for us to have a veteran to help mentor the young guys and play 20 minutes off the bench, I dont think that’s what he is looking for.

Who knows if he could earn 20 minutes?

CameronBornAndBred
05-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Second transfer out of NCSU, this one a freshmen.

NC State reserve point guard Lavar Batts Jr. will transfer this offseason, WRAL Sports has confirmed.
https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu-freshman-guard-to-transfer/17537482/

UrinalCake
05-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Very interesting...

Jeff Borzello
Verified account
@jeffborzello

Kentucky transfer Sacha Killeya-Jones is visiting NC State tonight and tomorrow, and Pittsburgh this weekend, his former coach Fred Cannon told ESPN.

Also has a trip to Wake Forest Memorial Day Weekend.

North Carolina has been in consistent contact, but no visit set yet.

OldPhiKap
05-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Very interesting...

ABC. Anywhere But Carolina.

CDu
05-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Second transfer out of NCSU, this one a freshmen.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu-freshman-guard-to-transfer/17537482/

No shock there. Batts was probably losing a numbers game behind Markell Johnson, Braxton Beverly, and the mid-season acquisition of transfer Blake Harris.

FerryFor50
05-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Killeya-Jones commits to the Pack:

https://twitter.com/SKJ/status/996466416546189313?s=20

PackMan97
05-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Killeya-Jones commits to the Pack:

https://twitter.com/SKJ/status/996466416546189313?s=20

Interesting. I had thought NC State was out of scholarships.

devildeac
05-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Interesting. I had thought NC State was out of scholarships.

How? Why? I thought y'all had a buncha transfers. Good pick up for the locals. ABc.

PackMan97
05-15-2018, 04:00 PM
How? Why? I thought y'all had a buncha transfers. Good pick up for the locals. ABc.

this puts us at 14 players.

2022 Class
Immanuel Bates (HS Recruit)
Saddiq Bey (HS Recruit)
Ian Steere (HS Recruit)
Jericole Hellems (HS Recruit)

2021 Class
Devon Daniels (transfer, eligible tihs season)
Braxton Beverly
Blake Harris (transfer, eligible in spring)
Sacha Killeya-Jones (transfer, sit this year)

2020 Class
CJ Bryce
Markell Johnson
Derek Funderburk (transfer, juco)
Wyatt Walker (Samford - grad transfer)

2019 Class
Torin Dorn
Eric Lockett (FIU - grad transfer)

devildeac
05-15-2018, 05:02 PM
this puts us at 14 players.

2022 Class
Immanuel Bates (HS Recruit)
Saddiq Bey (HS Recruit)
Ian Steere (HS Recruit)
Jericole Hellems (HS Recruit)

2021 Class
Devon Daniels (transfer, eligible tihs season)
Braxton Beverly
Blake Harris (transfer, eligible in spring)
Sacha Killeya-Jones (transfer, sit this year)

2020 Class
CJ Bryce
Markell Johnson
Derek Funderburk (transfer, juco)
Wyatt Walker (Samford - grad transfer)

2019 Class
Torin Dorn
Eric Lockett (FIU - grad transfer)

Thanks! I have trouble keeping up with Duke's 2019 and 2020 recruiting:o, let alone the "local" school.

PackMan97
05-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Saddiq Bey has been granted his release from his LOI at State. Unrelated to Sacha committing.

FerryFor50
05-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Yurtseven ended up landing at... Georgetown? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article209040139.html

PackMan97
05-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Yurtseven ended up landing at... Georgetown? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article209040139.html

If anyone can toughen up Yurtseven into a capable inside player, it's Patrick Ewing. The kid is going to have to start eating his Wheaties.

Best of luck to Omer.

FerryFor50
05-16-2018, 04:35 PM
If anyone can toughen up Yurtseven into a capable inside player, it's Patrick Ewing. The kid is going to have to start eating his Wheaties.

Best of luck to Omer.

But he didn't really *need* to be an inside player. He could have been a hybrid player.

PackMan97
05-17-2018, 09:31 AM
But he didn't really *need* to be an inside player. He could have been a hybrid player.

In college perhaps, but I think the message he was getting from the league was that he wasn't athletic enough to play outside, but too weak to play inside. This is all my speculation, so I doubt it's worth $0.02.

Obviously I hate losing a kid that posed a matchup problem for most teams and averaged 13.5ppg and 6.7rpg and could easily go off for 20+ on any given night. The problem is this was in college. Any center in the NBA would destroy him on the inside, and any athletic PF could easily handle him outside. If he didn't think he was getting what he needed from State's coaching staff, best of luck to him.

jhmoss1812
05-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Biggest news for UVA is obviously the return of De'Andre Hunter. He may have been a first round pick this year but has the potential to be a lottery pick in 2019.

UVA also got a transfer from Alabama in Braxton Key, a 6'7 small forward who will likely serve as Hunter's replacement. Key was a 4-star recruit (64 on Rivals) in the 2016 class. He will sit one and then have the option to play 2 at UVA.

No transfers out of UVA so far either. Hopefully, they're all hungry after the embarrassing loss to UMBC. I know we're currently looking for a grad transfer guard to come play in 2018-2019 though.

UrinalCake
05-24-2018, 09:15 AM
In a move that surprises no one, Luke Maye announced he will be returning for his senior year. I can’t believe he even put his name in. I guess he got to work out for a couple teams, but he had zero chance of being drafted.

JasonEvans
05-24-2018, 10:42 AM
In a move that surprises no one, Luke Maye announced he will be returning for his senior year. I can’t believe he even put his name in. I guess he got to work out for a couple teams, but he had zero chance of being drafted.

He just wanted some scouts to tell him what he needs to work on. He wasn't even invited to the combine.

By the way, much as it pains me to say so, but Maye will be preseason ACC POY and a pre-season first-team All-American. In fact, I'm trying to think who would be ahead of him for national POY in the pre-season. No one comes to mind. Maybe Kyle Guy or Purdue's Carson Edwards.

-Jason "As an aside, Theo Pinson wasn't invited to the combine either, and I think that is a shame. I just have a feeling that guy can find ways to contribute as a pro" Evans

Natty_B
05-24-2018, 10:51 AM

What was the point?

CameronBornAndBred
05-24-2018, 10:51 AM
-Jason "As an aside, Theo Pinson wasn't invited to the combine either, and I think that is a shame. I just have a feeling that guy can find ways to contribute as a pro" Evans

Pinson was invited. Not at first, but he did get an invite.
https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Theo-Pinson-of-the-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-at-the-NBA-Draft-Combine-118330214

cbarry
05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
"As an aside, Theo Pinson wasn't invited to the combine either, and I think that is a shame. I just have a feeling that guy can find ways to contribute as a pro" Evans
Pinson actually DID get invited to the combine. He was not invited initially, but got a call the day before it started. It sounds like he did decent, nothing special, in the combine.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article211417214.html

jimsumner
05-24-2018, 11:05 AM
He just wanted some scouts to tell him what he needs to work on. He wasn't even invited to the combine.

By the way, much as it pains me to say so, but Maye will be preseason ACC POY Evans

You mean, like C.J. Leslie?

Acymetric
05-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Best of luck to Omer.

Wheaties did some incredible marketing to make it such a ubiquitous brand associated with success. Except...does anyone actually eat Wheaties anymore? 40 years from now it will be "some phrase my grandpa always uses, what the hell are wheaties anyway?"

devildeac
05-24-2018, 12:09 PM
Wheaties did some incredible marketing to make it such a ubiquitous brand associated with success. Except...does anyone actually eat Wheaties anymore? 40 years from now it will be "some phrase my grandpa always uses, what the hell are wheaties anyway?"

I try to avoid wh*aties. And items with Berry. ;):rolleyes:

budwom
05-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Pinson was invited. Not at first, but he did get an invite.
https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Theo-Pinson-of-the-North-Carolina-Tar-Heels-at-the-NBA-Draft-Combine-118330214

note to Pinson: etiquette says if you have to ask for an invite, you really aren't invited. Stay home and crack a book if you can find one, any book, coloring book acceptable.

English
05-24-2018, 02:39 PM

By the way, much as it pains me to say so, but Maye will be preseason ACC POY and a pre-season first-team All-American. In fact, I'm trying to think who would be ahead of him for national POY in the pre-season. No one comes to mind. Maybe Kyle Guy or Purdue's Carson Edwards.

Is this for real? If Luke Maye is pre-season NCAA POY, then I'm a monkey's uncle. Off the top of my head, I'd guess RJ Barrett would be ahead of Maye on that (meaningless) list of likely candidates. Please note, the media members anointing that "award" don't really base it on past college performance, but rather who they think will be the actual national POY. Black Pigeon & Okafor both won the honor as incoming freshmen.

JasonEvans
05-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Is this for real? If Luke Maye is pre-season NCAA POY, then I'm a monkey's uncle. Off the top of my head, I'd guess RJ Barrett would be ahead of Maye on that (meaningless) list of likely candidates. Please note, the media members anointing that "award" don't really base it on past college performance, but rather who they think will be the actual national POY. Black Pigeon & Okafor both won the honor as incoming freshmen.

Would you care to wager a pie on Luke Maye getting more preseason All-American votes and/or preseason POY votes than RJ Barrett?

-Jason "I'm not even sure the votes are released for those things" Evans

English
05-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Would you care to wager a pie on Luke Maye getting more preseason All-American votes and/or preseason POY votes than RJ Barrett?

-Jason "I'm not even sure the votes are released for those things" Evans

I'm also a bit skeptical that vote counts are released for pre-POY, but I'd jump in on that bet. I'm more partial to beer than pie, but pie seems to be the currency du jour, so I'm game.

WRT pre-season All-America, I suspect that RJ and Luke will get a similar number of votes, although again, I think RJ will end up ahead. I don't feel as strongly about Luke Maye absolutely, positively NOT being voted pre-season All-America as I do pre-POY, so I'll abstain from that bet.

You're on.

NSDukeFan
05-24-2018, 03:30 PM
note to Pinson: etiquette says if you have to ask for an invite, you really aren't invited. Stay home and crack a book if you can find one, any book, coloring book acceptable.

Why would you expect him to have any books at home? They aren’t necessary at the place he plays basketball.

JasonEvans
05-24-2018, 03:39 PM
I'm also a bit skeptical that vote counts are released for pre-POY, but I'd jump in on that bet. I'm more partial to beer than pie, but pie seems to be the currency du jour, so I'm game.

WRT pre-season All-America, I suspect that RJ and Luke will get a similar number of votes, although again, I think RJ will end up ahead. I don't feel as strongly about Luke Maye absolutely, positively NOT being voted pre-season All-America as I do pre-POY, so I'll abstain from that bet.

You're on.

So, I looked and I cannot find an AP Preseason Player of the Year. The Preseason All-American team does record votes In 2017 (https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-11-06/college-basketball-michigan-states-bridges-tops-ap-preseason), Miles Bridges led the way with 61 votes, beating out Bonzi Colson's 47. Alonzo Trier (39), Jalen Brunson (33), and Michael Porter (30) rounded out the first team. Grayson (20) and Marvin (3) were among others getting votes.

Shall we wager on the All-American team? It appears POY is not an option.

UrinalCake
05-24-2018, 03:52 PM
Luke Maye is a stone cold lock for preseason All American. The media is going to fawn over him all season - a white, unathletic, undersized, unheralded player out of high school who has developed into one of the country’s top players. I still remember when his high school mixtape was released and it contained numerous uncontested defensive rebounds and an extended montage of him tying his shoes. It was literally the worst mixtape I had ever seen or could even imagine. Yet here he is.

Unfortunately the CHeats are going to be good again next year. Woods/Williams/Little/Johnson/Maye is a solid starting 5, White will likely take over at point and then they have Robinson and Manley coming off the bench.

JasonEvans
05-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Luke Maye is a stone cold lock for preseason All American. The media is going to fawn over him all season - a white, unathletic, undersized, unheralded player out of high school who has developed into one of the country’s top players. I still remember when his high school mixtape was released and it contained numerous uncontested defensive rebounds and an extended montage of him tying his shoes. It was literally the worst mixtape I had ever seen or could even imagine. Yet here he is.

Shhhhhhhh... I'm trying to win pie here!!

PackMan97
05-24-2018, 04:17 PM
a white, unathletic, undersized, unheralded player out of high school who has developed into one of the country’s top players

Luke Maye was a 4* top 100 player with offers from ND and Gonzaga. Can we please dispense with the fiction that he was "the suck" in high school?

Biggest problem was he's a UNC legacy recruit (his father played QB for the cheaters in the 80s) and UNC landed him even though he was only offered a spot as a preferred walk-on.

When you are so brainwashed by the powder blue, that you walk-onto a school in the midst of the biggest scandal in NCAA history instead of taking a scholarship offer from ND...*boggle*...and of course he's going to stay four years because he loves the college experience at UNC.

where is the puke icon?

devildeac
05-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Luke Maye was a 4* top 100 player with offers from ND and Gonzaga. Can we please dispense with the fiction that he was "the suck" in high school?

Biggest problem was he's a UNC legacy recruit (his father played QB for the cheaters in the 80s) and UNC landed him even though he was only offered a spot as a preferred walk-on.

When you are so brainwashed by the powder blue, that you walk-onto a school in the midst of the biggest scandal in NCAA history instead of taking a scholarship offer from ND...*boggle*...and of course he's going to stay four years because he loves the college experience at UNC.

where is the puke icon?

This work for ya?

Natty_B
05-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Lot going on today as it's the final day to withdraw from the draft:

Happy Teams

BC: Bowman staying
Clemson: Reed and Mitchell staying

Sad (former ACC) team

Terps: Huerter leaving

PackMan97
05-31-2018, 07:49 AM
Lot going on today as it's the final day to withdraw from the draft:

Sad (former ACC) team

Terps: Huerter leaving

Who? Well...good luck with that decision. I'm sure there is more money in leaving than staying, but will anyone really care after a few years?

OldPhiKap
05-31-2018, 07:59 AM
Who? Well...good luck with that decision. I'm sure there is more money in leaving than staying, but will anyone really care after a few years?

I don’t miss Meh-ryland.