PDA

View Full Version : Fathers and Sons

madscavenger
04-29-2018, 04:00 AM
How many fathers played basketball at Duke whose sons did as well? While i do not have an answer readily available, a little Sunday morning fun could be, well, a little Sunday morning fun. Turgenev would be proud (OK, maybe not).

i'll kick it off with a couple of well known pairs:

Lee Melchionni Gary Melchionni
Dave O'Connell Alex O'Connell

Bob Green
04-29-2018, 06:12 AM
Jay Buckley - Clay Buckley.

chrishoke
04-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Jay Buckley - Clay Buckley.

Clay's brother Bruce played for the heels.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Clay's brother Bruce played for the heels.

OMG, I didn't know Clay and Bruce were brothers! Growing up, Bruce Buckley was a punch line, even among Heels fans.

sagegrouse
04-29-2018, 12:02 PM
OMG, I didn't know Clay and Bruce were brothers! Growing up, Bruce Buckley was a punch line, even among Heels fans.

Uh, no. Jay and Bruce were brothers.

jimsumner
04-29-2018, 12:23 PM
Speaking of the Buckley family, they have a combined seven Final Fours among them.

That's got to be some kind of record.

sagegrouse
04-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Uh, no. Jay and Bruce were brothers.

Oops. Should have referenced Chrishoke, not HereBeforeCoachK.

sagegrouse
04-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Speaking of the Buckley family, they have a combined seven Final Fours among them.

That's got to be some kind of record.

And, quite possibly, seven university degrees, assuming Jay got a master's degree en route to his physics PhD at Johns Hopkins. Bruce has been a lawyer in Charlotte for a long time. Clay went for an MBA at Georgetown after graduating from Duke.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Yeah, I know. Two of the seven cited degree were from UNC'

CrazyNotCrazie
04-29-2018, 01:20 PM
I think Steve Pagliuca walked on or was on the freshman team and Joe and Nick were both walkons.

chrishoke
04-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Oops. Should have referenced Chrishoke, not HereBeforeCoachK.

My oops - what an idiot. Tx for the correction

sagegrouse
04-29-2018, 09:29 PM
My oops - what an idiot. Tx for the correction

Not a problem and a mistake that has been made before. I am in Jay's class. At our 25th reunion, one of our classmates, who may have been a bit tipsy, came up to Clay, who was a sophomore then, and said, "Jay, you haven't changed a bit!"

-jk
04-29-2018, 10:26 PM
Not a problem and a mistake that has been made before. I am in Jay's class. At our 25th reunion, one of our classmates, who may have been a bit tipsy, came up to Clay, who was a sophomore then, and said, "Jay, you haven't changed a bit!"

My mom, who hosted Jay many times, often remarked on their resemblance. And occasionally called Clay Jay, too.

But never while sidling up...

-jk

Reilly
04-29-2018, 11:46 PM
trip down memory lane: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1991/05/19/different-paths-on-the-road-to-success/926a0542-adca-4720-8c67-4b1a3166fc20/?utm_term=.ce70b60b3a7f

MCFinARL
04-30-2018, 02:57 PM
trip down memory lane: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1991/05/19/different-paths-on-the-road-to-success/926a0542-adca-4720-8c67-4b1a3166fc20/?utm_term=.ce70b60b3a7f

Straying from the topic, but since you posted the Buckley-Dantley article, did you know that Adrian Dantley has been a part-time crossing guard in Mongomery County, MD for a few years now? Apparently he enjoys the job, and he gets health insurance.
http://wjla.com/news/local/adrian-dantley-nba-hall-of-famer-loves-being-a-school-crossing-guard-in-silver-spring-86491

BD80
04-30-2018, 03:07 PM
My mom, who hosted Jay many times, often remarked on their resemblance. And occasionally called Clay Jay, too.

But never while sidling up...

-jk

"Hosted?"

Can't keep up with the lingo on the interwebs ...

HereBeforeCoachK
04-30-2018, 03:09 PM
Straying from the topic, but since you posted the Buckley-Dantley article, did you know that Adrian Dantley has been a part-time crossing guard in Mongomery County, MD for a few years now? Apparently he enjoys the job, and he gets health insurance.
http://wjla.com/news/local/adrian-dantley-nba-hall-of-famer-loves-being-a-school-crossing-guard-in-silver-spring-86491

Ha, cool story..Adrian Dantley, the last of the 6-4 power forwards.....

-jk
04-30-2018, 03:39 PM
"Hosted?"

As in threw parties and hosted guests...

-jk

sagegrouse
04-30-2018, 03:40 PM
"Hosted?"

JK's Mom's father was the Duke president during Jay's time at Duke.

BD80
04-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Ha, cool story..Adrian Dantley, the last of the 6-4 power forwards....

"Sir" Charles Barkley retired 9 years later ...

CB has admitted he was 6' 4 3/4" - he said: " 6' 6" just sounded better"

chrishoke
04-30-2018, 04:14 PM
Ha, cool story..Adrian Dantley, the last of the 6-4 power forwards...

Actually, Kelly Tripucka played for ND the year after Dantley in a similar role. And to tie it back to the fathers and sons theme of the thread, his son Jake Tripuka played lacrosse for Duke and won a national championship as a senior in 2013.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Actually, Kelly Tripucka played for ND the year after Dantley in a similar role. And to tie it back to the fathers and sons theme of the thread, his son Jake Tripuka played lacrosse for Duke and won a national championship as a senior in 2013.

IIRC Kelly was 3 inches taller and had a different game than Dantley - to my memory. Tripuka scored more outside. Dantley had some of the best hands, and best intelligence, ever used underneath the basket. And he wasn't even a great jumper.

Also about that time ND had Bill Laimbeer.....who really showed what a late developing three ball can do for a career.

chrishoke
04-30-2018, 04:57 PM
IIRC Kelly was 3 inches taller and had a different game than Dantley - to my memory. Tripuka scored more outside. Dantley had some of the best hands, and best intelligence, ever used underneath the basket. And he wasn't even a great jumper.

Also about that time ND had Bill Laimbeer....who really showed what a late developing three ball can do for a career.

It's all about the segue.

jimsumner
04-30-2018, 05:00 PM

Also about that time ND had Bill Laimbeer....who really showed what a late developing three ball can do for a career.

And Kelly Tripucka's father Frank was a great quarterback.

luvdahops
04-30-2018, 05:16 PM

Also about that time ND had Bill Laimbeer...who really showed what a late developing three ball can do for a career.

Dantley was an unbelievable low post player at ~6-5. He had incredible positioning, footwork and pump fakes, as well as the ability to finish with both hands (not a given in those days). He also made a living at the foul line, getting there often (8.7 FTA per game) and converting at 81.8% over his NBA career.

Kelly Tripucka was much more of a face up player, and a true WF. He had good range and touch on his jumper, and could beat guys off the bounce as well. But they were 2 very different players, as noted above.