PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Duke men's basketball recruiting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Duke95
04-25-2018, 09:34 PM
There's a significant likelihood that this will be the first post-OAD year (since OAD was instituted). Duke looks to be in the mix for top recruits like RJ Hampton and Isaiah Todd, but I expect we'll see both go pro straight from HS.
From what I can tell, we're also looking at Nico Mannion and Jeremy Roach. Scottie Barnes is another name I've seen mentioned, but he's a top 10 recruit.

This may be a seismic year in recruiting, particularly if K retires.

drummerdevil
04-25-2018, 09:36 PM
2018 theoretically isn't even finalized and we're already on to 2020? I love it. Here's to another successful year of recruiting!

-jk
04-25-2018, 09:39 PM
There's a significant likelihood that this will be the first post-OAD year (since OAD was instituted). Duke looks to be in the mix for top recruits like RJ Hampton and Isaiah Todd, but I expect we'll see both go pro straight from HS.
From what I can tell, we're also looking at Nico Mannion and Jeremy Roach. Scottie Barnes is another name I've seen mentioned, but he's a top 10 recruit.

This may be a seismic year in recruiting, particularly if K retires.

Seems to me K would want to carry us through the transition if such a transition happens. It's not in his nature to leave unfinished business lying around...

-jk

Duke95
04-25-2018, 09:56 PM
Seems to me K would want to carry us through the transition if such a transition happens. It's not in his nature to leave unfinished business lying around...

-jk

Might be true. Though, if he wins another one between now and then, I think there's a high probability he'll call it a career.

UrinalCake
04-25-2018, 10:02 PM
If this is in fact the first year without the OAD rule, then you'll have both the high schoolers who graduated in 2020 and the previous year's class who has played one season in college. Which means it will be a really stacked class and only the really elite will be able to make the jump. Before the OAD rule was put in place, we had maybe two or three guys go straight from high school each year. Even if you assume that high schoolers are more prepared now than they were in the past, and that NBA teams have more access to evaluate the younger players via the internet, I still don't think very many players will be affected.

UrinalCake
04-25-2018, 10:05 PM
BTW this thread may have the lowest probability of actually staying on topic in DBR history. Already we've started on potential rule changes, recruiting OAD's, and K's retirement.

plimnko
04-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Might be true. Though, if he wins another one between now and then, I think there's a high probability he'll call it a career.

well, if duke wins another one, that would leave k with 4 empty fingers. he'd have to stay on so he can get rings for those fingers too lol

plimnko
04-25-2018, 10:07 PM
BTW this thread may have the lowest probability of actually staying on topic in DBR history. Already we've started on potential rule changes, recruiting OAD's, and K's retirement.

there's a couple of years to get back on topic

Duke95
04-25-2018, 10:11 PM
If this is in fact the first year without the OAD rule, then you'll have both the high schoolers who graduated in 2020 and the previous year's class who has played one season in college. Which means it will be a really stacked class and only the really elite will be able to make the jump. Before the OAD rule was put in place, we had maybe two or three guys go straight from high school each year. Even if you assume that high schoolers are more prepared now than they were in the past, and that NBA teams have more access to evaluate the younger players via the internet, I still don't think very many players will be affected.

I think this is a good point, and one that I find of great interest from an economic perspective as it relates to relevant markets. Of course, there is also the ongoing litigation that may change things considerably.

So yes, a lot of factors in play for 2020 recruiting. We may end up with a new coach, no amateurism, no OAD rule...or none of those things. Still up in the air how much losing Capel will affect recruiting too.

Kedsy
04-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Before the OAD rule was put in place, we had maybe two or three guys go straight from high school each year.

FWIW, the last two years before OAD was instituted were the high school classes of 2004 (at least nine (9) kids went straight to NBA) and 2005 (at least nine (9) kids went straight to NBA). So "two or three" might be a bit low.

Troublemaker
04-25-2018, 10:29 PM

Actually, the reports just say that it'll be 2020 at the earliest, so it could easily be 2021 or maybe even 2022. I'll be interested in seeing what the NBA owners want during negotiations. If it's something like the baseball system where time spent in the G-League doesn't count towards NBA service time (thus lengthening team control over the player), negotiations could get tricky and break down.

This may be a seismic year in recruiting

Hopefully Duke does a good job with 2019 recruiting so 2020 recruiting won't have to be so "seismic." I'd like to see sophomores Isaiah Stewart, Joe Girard, Wendell Moore, and Joey Baker to be on the roster already, for example.

DavidBenAkiva
04-25-2018, 10:42 PM
Might be helpful to start by thinking about who might be on the roster.

Seniors: Jordan Goldwire, Alex O'Connell
Juniors: Tre Jones (?)
Sophomore: Joey Baker, TBD

The wing and guard position might have decent depth and talent. We'll need a frontcourt.

yancem
04-26-2018, 02:36 PM
I think this is a good point, and one that I find of great interest from an economic perspective as it relates to relevant markets. Of course, there is also the ongoing litigation that may change things considerably.

So yes, a lot of factors in play for 2020 recruiting. We may end up with a new coach, no amateurism, no OAD rule...or none of those things. Still up in the air how much losing Capel will affect recruiting too.

Interestingly, Capel leaving may actually signal a longer run for K. I would imagine that Capel was seen as the heir apparent and I wonder if there might have been some pressure for K to retire before Capel left. Now that Capel is at Pitt, there will be a desire to see how things work out there for him to see if he still makes sense as the heir apparent. If that is correct or not, any pressure (real or imagined) created my having Capel have to wait for K to retire, is now gone.

The wing and guard position might have decent depth and talent. We'll need a frontcourt.

While I think that it is certainly possible for Jones to come back for his sophomore season, especially since his brother has taken a few years to really find consistent pt in the nba, I think 3 years is highly unlikely.

DavidBenAkiva
04-27-2018, 09:10 AM
The coincidences of life can be a little funny, no? Duke loses one Wendell (Carter) after the 2018 season and quickly targets another Wendell (Moore) for the class of 2019. The top freshman in the country in 2019 will be R.J. (Barrett) and now Duke has offered another R.J. (Hampton) in the class of 2020.

R.J. Hampton, a 6'4" combo guard from Little Elm, Texas, is, I believe, the first player in the Class of 2020 to receive an offer from the Duke Blue Devils. He's a Nolan Smith type of guard, capable of breaking a man down off the dribble or pulling up for a jump shot. There's a lot of emotion in him on the court, too. He's talking, smiling, clapping hands in a lot of videos. He's a little bigger than Smith but could easily play that role of distributor or move off the ball and still be productive. Hampton is more highly touted than Smith was in his class as Hampton is a Top 5 player in the class (247 composite) at this point in his career.

olegreg
04-27-2018, 09:31 AM
Rj hampton will be in the 2019 class! K doesn't offer hs sophomores. Given his birthday he should be class 2019.

mattman91
04-27-2018, 09:40 AM
Rj hampton will be in the 2019 class! K doesn't offer hs sophomores. Given his birthday he should be class 2019.

Demarcus Nelson and his "angelic eyes" says hi.

Troublemaker
04-27-2018, 09:55 AM

It'll be interesting to see whom we prioritize between Hampton and Cole Anthony.

I suspect Hampton will win out because of the Tre Jones factor. We're uncertain if Tre is OAD, and if sophomore Tre Jones is around, then Hampton will likely pair with him better than Anthony in the backcourt because Hampton would be more comfortable off the ball when needed to play that role. And if Tre does happen to be OAD, I'm fine with Hampton as the primary PG.

olegreg
04-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Demarcus Nelson and his "angelic eyes" says hi.

Anybody else?

olegreg
04-27-2018, 10:04 AM
It'll be interesting to see whom we prioritize between Hampton and Cole Anthony.

I suspect Hampton will win out because of the Tre Jones factor. We're uncertain if Tre is OAD, and if sophomore Tre Jones is around, then Hampton will likely pair with him better than Anthony in the backcourt because Hampton would be more comfortable off the ball when needed to play that role. And if Tre does happen to be OAD, I'm fine with Hampton as the primary PG.

This

Just wonder if bryan antoine will consider reclassifing to 2018. I think he would fit better on this years team considering he's a sniper. He's older than zion and rj by a couple months.

Neals384
04-27-2018, 10:22 AM

And "Minutes!"

I can see Goldwire getting serious minutes as a senior.

TruBlu
04-27-2018, 11:56 AM
The coincidences of life can be a little funny, no? Duke loses one Wendell (Carter) after the 2018 season and quickly targets another Wendell (Moore) for the class of 2019. The top freshman in the country in 2019 will be R.J. (Barrett) and now Duke has offered another R.J. (Hampton) in the class of 2020.

Thanks for the info.

Maybe we are recruiting by first name basis now as a cost containment. Since we seem to be okay with recycling uniform numbers, we could start putting first names/initials on the uniforms and just use the same numbers/names year after year.

Also, as a senior citizen of the same age as Coach K, I find myself forgetting names. This could help me (and possibly Coach K).

DavidBenAkiva
05-14-2018, 08:54 PM
Duke has extended an offer to top 2020 Point Guard Nico Mannion. The 6'3" redhead from Arizona is a Top 25 player in his class, although there are reports that he is considering reclassifying to 2019. He has been trending towards Arizona or another West Coast school for a while and so the offer from Duke is an interesting development. Mannion seems like a consummate playmaker and looks both quick and athletic. The college basketball world might implode if he ever committed a technical foul while wearing a Duke jersey. I would imagine a commitment to Duke would be followed with "the next Duke villain" article in a hot minute. For that alone, I am intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=SGnT21AHu_s

MartyClark
05-14-2018, 08:58 PM
His dad is a former NBA player. That often bodes well for Duke.

Pghdukie
06-25-2018, 08:49 PM
BJ Boston, a 6'6" guard out of Georgia is set to un-officially visit Duke on Saturday. Very high on everyone''s wish list.

phaedrus
06-25-2018, 09:02 PM
His dad is a former NBA player. That often bodes well for Duke.

Bronny James is what, Class of '23? When do we start that thread?

Pghdukie
06-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Bronny James is what, Class of '23? When do we start that thread?

Bronny is in the same school/class as Kobe Bryant''s son.

rsvman
06-25-2018, 09:51 PM

Might as well get 'em both!

djp10
06-26-2018, 01:53 AM
I'm fairly certain Kobe does not have a son

Pghdukie
06-26-2018, 10:13 AM
I stand corrected. It is Scottie Pippen''s son not Kobe. Kenyon Martin''s son KJ is also at Sierra Canyon.
Sorry to miss lead anyone.

phaedrus
06-26-2018, 10:27 AM

You may be right, but I'm not sure such a high degree of certainty is warranted on this topic - by anyone.

BD80
06-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Kobe does have a daughter, Gianna, about the same age that the Duke staff should keep an eye on:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kobe-bryants-daughter-gianna-slaying-court-12-years-old-153746154.html

Pghdukie
06-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Nicole Mannion to make an announcement July 20. Thinking he will re-classify to 2019. He is a heavy Arizona lean.

Pghdukie
06-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Nico not Nicole. Dam auto correct

DavidBenAkiva
07-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Duke head coach Michael "Mike" Krzyzewski extended an offer to Top 10 rising junior Jalen Johnson of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin on Friday, July 20th. Johnson is a 6'8" "point forward" with an intriguing package of ball handling, passing, shooting, and NBA-ready athleticism. He's a highly coveted recruit in his native Wisconsin where the nearby Badgers have been considered the favorites for his services.

Johnson joins combo guard R.J. Hampton as the only other member of the Class of 2020 to receive an offer at this point. Duke also appears high on SG Brandon Boston of Norcross, Georgia, among others.

A-Tex Devil
07-24-2018, 04:34 AM
Nicole Mannion to make an announcement July 20. Thinking he will re-classify to 2019. He is a heavy Arizona lean.

I read the article on the front page and was wondering where I recognized that name, Pace Mannion. First Rockets game I ever went to and there a couple of hundred people there called the Pace Mannion fan club. Thought it was the weirdest thing given he played for the Jazz, and my dad, who was usually on top of this stuff, didn’t know either. Wiki said he was a cult hero at Rice because of some gaffe when he was in college at Utah, and they would show up to all the Rockets games to cheer him on. A very Rice thing to do.

/csb

HereBeforeCoachK
07-24-2018, 05:30 PM

In Cali, you never know, with gender fluidity and all....

(or as Radar would say, fluididity.....)

DavidBenAkiva
07-31-2018, 11:00 AM
Duke extended 2 more offers to members of the Class of 2020. Each are 5-star recruits considered among the top 20 in their class.

Jeremy Roach is a 6'2" point guard from Fairfax, VA. Villanova is considered an early leader for his services.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Lizg8tHPU

Brandon "B.J." Boston is a 6'6" shooting guard from Norcross, GA. Duke is considered an early leader.

Link to video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLbYVVBTHDw)

Boston and Roach join other 2020 recruits CG (combo guard) R.J. Hampton and SF Jalen Johnson as players to receive an offer from Duke. I wouldn't be surprised if a power forward and/or center are next. Be on the lookout for an offer to Isaiah Todd, a top 10 PF in the Class of 2020.

Pghdukie
08-09-2018, 06:29 PM
Cade Cunningham, a 6'7 SF out of Montverde has caught the eye of the Duke staff. Not offered yet tho.

Pghdukie
08-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Marcus Bagley a 6'6 forward has transferred from Sierra Canyon in So Cal to Sheldon in Sacramento. Sheldon was the Northern Cal Open Champ last year. Marcus is Marvin's little brother.

DavidBenAkiva
08-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Marcus Bagley a 6'6 forward has transferred from Sierra Canyon in So Cal to Sheldon in Sacramento. Sheldon was the Northern Cal Open Champ last year. Marcus is Marvin's little brother.

Looking at his recruiting profile is a little funny. There's hardly any info about him, he's not a top 100 or maybe even top 200 player in his class, and yet he has offers from Arizona, UCLA, and USC.

Indoor66
08-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Maybe the coaches know something that the gurus don't?

El_Diablo
08-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Maybe the coaches know something that the gurus don't?

Nah. Some schools recruiting Marvin gave scholarship offers to his brothers (including a 7-year-old) to try to sway Marvin.

JasonEvans
08-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Marcus did not even play high school basketball as a sophomore. He was at Ravenscroft in Raleigh (same school as Ryan Kelly) but was not on the team. I'm not sure if his family just chose for him to skip a year of hoops or what (at 6-6 and athletic, it seems he would have made the team if he had tried out). This year will be a big one for him to establish if he is a legit D1 prospect. I imagine his family will get him on an AAU team too if he wants to show himself as an elite prospect.

Pghdukie
08-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Marcus has gone to 3 different schools in his last 3 years.

sagegrouse
08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Marcus has gone to 3 different schools in his last 3 years.

I suppose this is about Marcus Bagley, but I honestly have no idea. There is no last name in the last several posts. What was he doing in Raleigh, or are there two Marcuses in this thread (which is only titled 2020 Recruiting)?

No worries -- I am just showing my age -- but I really, really like "who, what, when, were, why and how" in most posts.

Indoor66
08-27-2018, 08:15 AM
I suppose this is about Marcus Bagley, but I honestly have no idea. There is no last name in the last several posts. What was he doing in Raleigh, or are there two Marcuses in this thread (which is only titled 2020 Recruiting)?

No worries -- I am just showing my age -- but I really, really like "who, what, when, were, why and how" in most posts.

You get so darn picky....;):D:cool:

ChillinDuke
08-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Lol. I tend to agree, except that yours was post #45, and the situation was adequately described in post #39.

Hard to be upset about this one.

- Chillin

sagegrouse
08-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Lol. I tend to agree, except that yours was post #45, and the situation was adequately described in post #39.

Hard to be upset about this one.

- Chillin

Yeah, but what's this Raleigh stuff? Oh, I just found it on Twitter, but still don't understand. I thought the family was from Chatsworth, CA, in the San Fernando Valley.

JasonEvans
08-28-2018, 08:29 AM
Yeah, but what's this Raleigh stuff? Oh, I just found it on Twitter, but still don't understand. I thought the family was from Chatsworth, CA, in the San Fernando Valley.

They moved to Raleigh to be close to Marvin III while he was at Duke. Now that he is in Sacto, they have moved to that city so Marcus is going to play for Sheldon, the basketball powerhouse in Sacramento (the defending Northern California Open Division champion). The family is following their teenaged multi-million dollar asset... which is just plain smart if you ask me.

ChillinDuke
08-28-2018, 10:23 AM
They moved to Raleigh to be close to Marvin III while he was at Duke. Now that he is in Sacto, they have moved to that city so Marcus is going to play for Sheldon, the basketball powerhouse in Sacramento (the defending Northern California Open Division champion). The family is following their teenaged multi-million dollar asset... which is just plain smart if you ask me.

Brilliant, really.

- Chillin

duke79
08-28-2018, 11:27 AM

Brilliant, really.

- Chillin

Yea, but when I was 19 or 20, I'm not sure I wanted my entire family to move to where I was living!

Rich
08-28-2018, 03:49 PM

Are you sure it's not spelled Shelden? :rolleyes:

mgtr
08-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Yea, but when I was 19 or 20, I'm not sure I wanted my entire family to move to where I was living!

A great point -- I actually selected the school that was furthest from my parents. I didn't hate them, but thought I was ready to spread my wings. I learned that I had to flap those wings really, really hard!

jimsumner
08-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Are you sure it's not spelled Shelden? :rolleyes:

I believe Shavlick High School is their arch-rival.

Pghdukie
08-28-2018, 09:03 PM
I believe Shavlick High School is their arch-rival.

But the landlord had a problem with that school infiltrating their domain.

Indoor66
08-29-2018, 08:09 AM
But the landlord had a problem with that school infiltrating their domain.

Unquestionably the issue was failure to pay rent.

duke79
08-29-2018, 03:24 PM
A great point -- I actually selected the school that was furthest from my parents. I didn't hate them, but thought I was ready to spread my wings. I learned that I had to flap those wings really, really hard!

Yea, I'm a big believer that, for many kids of a certain age, leaving the area in which they have grown up, to go to college or otherwise, is a good move in their development and maturation. In retrospect, it was for me.

TruBlu
08-29-2018, 03:35 PM
I have lived in my hometown, several states away, and even crossed oceans. Development and maturity haven’t caught up to me yet. Maybe I should have left a forwarding address.

DavidBenAkiva
08-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Interesting development out of the Class of 2020 and one of the top Duke targets. Guard R.J. Hampton hinted earlier this week that he had some news to share on Friday. Today being Friday, we have news to digest. Hampton is considered one of the top players in his class and had been seriously considering reclassifying to the Class of 2019. After consideration, Hampton has decided to stay put in the Class of 2020, as Evan Daniels of 247Sports reports (https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/RJ-Hampton-will-stay-in-2020-sets-three-official-visits-121228651/).

Interestingly, Hampton has scheduled 3 official visits for this fall: Memphis, Kansas, and Kentucky. He also notes that Duke, Michigan, and Texas have been recruiting him hardest along with the other schools. Duke has been considered a top landing spot for Hampton. We might expect to see the young man on campus this fall.

DavidBenAkiva
09-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Top 10 SF Jalen Johnson will be taking an official visit to Duke on October 19th and will be on campus to witness Countdown to Craziness

DavidBenAkiva
09-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Top 10 SF Jalen Johnson will be taking an official visit to Duke on October 19th and will be on campus to witness Countdown to Craziness

Another top target for 2020, Brandon "B.J." Boston, Jr., has set an official visit to Countdown to Craziness. Boston, as you may recall, was scheduled to take an official visit during the weekend that Hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas. He has since rebooked his visit to coincide to CTC. For those counting, that'll be 3 top recruits scheduled to attend so far. Boston and Johnson will be joined by Vernon Carey, Jr. of the Class of 2019 for the annual event. With the star-studded freshman class this season, I imagine this will be quite the spectacle to witness. I sure hope there is a dunk contest this year.

A report from Evan Daniels, writing for the Devil's Den (https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Five-star-wing-Brandon-Boston-Jr-schedules-official-visits-122518514/), also shows Boston will be taking in-home visits, including from the Duke staff on Thursday night. Boston will be also take official visits to Alabama and Florida in November and has in-home visits with those two schools, Duke, and Ohio State lined up.

DavidBenAkiva
10-09-2018, 10:01 AM
Top 2020 forward Jalen Johnson has released a Top 15 schools list (https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/status/1049649472861552641). I find these "Top X Schools" lists to be pretty funny. We've seen a program like Duke or Kentucky come in after an announced list if "final" schools and make an official offer. From a player perspective, this is their chance to get their name out there. It's all in good fun.

At any rate, Johnson has cast a wide net: Arizona, DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, LSU, Marquette, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio State, UCLA, and Wisconsin. Duke is considered a strong favorite for the young man from Wisconsin, along with UW, Marquette, Kentucky, and UCLA.

Johsnon, along with B.J. Boston, appear to be taking advantage of the new NCAA official visit rules that allow more frequent visits to colleges. It's also a good sign that he is narrowing the list now, during his junior year. For those of us that grew impatient for the first 2019 commit (thanks, Wendell!), the Class of 2020 might deliver some earlier returns.

ChillinDuke
10-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Another top target for 2020, Brandon "B.J." Boston, Jr., has set an official visit to Countdown to Craziness. Boston, as you may recall, was scheduled to take an official visit during the weekend that Hurricane Florence hit the Carolinas. He has since rebooked his visit to coincide to CTC. For those counting, that'll be 3 top recruits scheduled to attend so far. Boston and Johnson will be joined by Vernon Carey, Jr. of the Class of 2019 for the annual event. With the star-studded freshman class this season, I imagine this will be quite the spectacle to witness. I sure hope there is a dunk contest this year.

A report from Evan Daniels, writing for the Devil's Den (https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/Five-star-wing-Brandon-Boston-Jr-schedules-official-visits-122518514/), also shows Boston will be taking in-home visits, including from the Duke staff on Thursday night. Boston will be also take official visits to Alabama and Florida in November and has in-home visits with those two schools, Duke, and Ohio State lined up.

Given Boston's current in-home list of Duke, Alabama, Florida, and Ohio State, Duke certainly stands out in terms of program strength. Adding in other schools that 247 lists as "warm", FSU, Clemson, and Georgia, it seems to me that OSU is a clear geographical outlier (not in the southeast). As such, I like Duke in this one, as it's hard for me to see Alabama as a truly legitimate threat and Florida doesn't offer much that Duke doesn't one-up (Florida is not his home state, for example; he's from Georgia).

UK, Kansas, Nova appear to have kicked the tires, but don't appear in play in this recruitment, as far as I can tell in my quick review.

- Chillin

JasonEvans
10-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Worth noting that Brandon Boston attends Norcross High School. As a freshman, I hope he really looked up to the PG on the Varsity team cause it was Jordan Goldwire.

Troublemaker
11-02-2018, 09:10 PM
^ nice segue to a question I wanted to ask about. I saw jeremy roach is at 80% UK on crystal ball. May not mean much now but didn't know if anyone knew why it looks that way early. I thought I'd read somewhere he really liked Duke.

We're probably stronger with RJ Hampton in the 2020 class, and he's probably the one we should be rooting hard to land.

I know it'll be asked -- can't they play together? Sure, but Duke is also going hard after Brandon Boston, and at some point, Alex O'Connell will probably become a starter. And then if Duke lands Boogie Ellis in 2019...

Now, the recruiting sands are constantly shifting, especially for a class that's two years out... but you asked, and I'm giving what I think is the current picture.

bullettoothtony
11-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Thanks Tm. Glad to hear... I love Hampton's game.

907bluedevils
11-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Not sure where we are with Jeremy Roach, but top 20 player in 2020 has included Duke in his final 4.

907bluedevils
12-06-2018, 02:40 PM
RJ Hampton

“So far I’ve taken one official visit to Memphis. I talk to Coach Penny a lot and Coach Miller just about every day. Kentucky and TCU are heavily involved. Duke has slowed down some, but Michigan and Texas are there. Kansas has been there since Day 1."

BD80
12-07-2018, 12:01 PM
RJ Hampton

“So far I’ve taken one official visit to Memphis. I talk to Coach Penny a lot and Coach Miller just about every day. Kentucky and TCU are heavily involved. Duke has slowed down some, but Michigan and Texas are there. Kansas has been there since Day 1."

Rats. I like having an RJ on the team.

DavidBenAkiva
12-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Rats. I like having an RJ on the team.

After cornering the market on Plumlees for a decade, Duke is loading up on Wendell's. R.J. would be cool, too.

I wonder if Duke has decided to prioritize a few other guards in this class. B.J. (so close to R.J.!) Boston has been a priority as a sort of SG version of Brandon Ingram. He's tall, lanky, can really shoot the ball. We are not sure yet if Wendell Moore will be one-and-done caliber (I prefer to wait until the season begins before figuring out if players outside the Top 10 are going to be one-and-done as things can change. For every Frank Jackson, there's a Marques Bolden, after all.). Alex O'Connell and Jordan Goldwire will be seniors, I doubt Tre Jones will be around, but there's a possibility however remote that he could be a junior that season. Joey Baker will be a redshirt sophomore that season most likely. Boogie Ellis is definitely a possibility as a sophomore, as is Wendell Moore to a lesser degree. This is all hard to project based on who goes and who stays, but my best guess is that the team will have the following players on the roster:

PG: Ellis, Goldwire
SG: Boston, O'Connell
SF: Moore, Baker

I wonder if the staff sees this and is de-emphasizing R.J. Hampton in favor of Boston at the SG spot and the expectation that there are already 5+ guys (Goldwire being a backup PG playing fewer minutes) that will earn playing time. I like the interchangeable nature of a lot of these guys. There's shooting galore in that group and Baker might even bulk up enough to slot in at the PF spot. I have a hunch that Jalen Johnson is going to be that stretch-4 guy on the team that year. I have no idea who plays center or what other PF's will be on the roster that year.

kAzE
12-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Not sure why we're "slowing down" on RJ Hampton . . . we desperately need a point guard, not only for next year, but most likely in 2020 as well.

I'm aware RJ is more of a combo guard, but it's not like we have a ready made lead guard on the roster or already committed. I wonder what Coach K's plan is.

UrinalCake
12-07-2018, 01:41 PM
Boogie Ellis's first name is Rejean, I think that's close enough to RJ.

DavidBenAkiva
12-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Not sure why we're "slowing down" on RJ Hampton . . . we desperately need a point guard, not only for next year, but most likely in 2020 as well.

I'm aware RJ is more of a combo guard, but it's not like we have a ready made lead guard on the roster or already committed. I wonder what Coach K's plan is.

I'm seeing this point being made, but what about Boogie Ellis makes you think he's not of a similar skillset? He is listed as either a point or scoring guard in almost every scouting report I've read. While he does have more of a scoring mentality than a pass-first approach, is that not the same as R.J. Hampton?

Kedsy
12-07-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm seeing this point being made, but what about Boogie Ellis makes you think he's not of a similar skillset? He is listed as either a point or scoring guard in almost every scouting report I've read. While he does have more of a scoring mentality than a pass-first approach, is that not the same as R.J. Hampton?

Maybe it's the difference between a top 5 combo guard like Hampton and a top 50 combo guard like Ellis?

DavidBenAkiva
12-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Maybe it's the difference between a top 5 combo guard like Hampton and a top 50 combo guard like Ellis?

I could see that as a valid point. Hampton is considered a stud prospect, a player comfortable with the ball in his hands. Ellis isn't on his level. I would hope a sophomore would be more suited to initiating the offense. FWIW, Ellis is rated as 36th in the 247sports Composite rankings and 26th in their own rankings. Rivals and ESPN both put him at 41st in the class. The bottom line is that he is a high major recruit. Whether he can translate his talents to the college game is another matter.

kAzE
12-07-2018, 03:11 PM

Sure, Ellis is a nice prospect, but if you're Coach K, are you really banking on him developing into a lead guard, or are you getting as many studs as possible, in case Boogie at PG doesn't work out? He could turn out to be a guy like Nolan Smith, who was a FANTASTIC player, but never became a true point guard.

Even if Hampton also isn't a true point, at least he has the pedigree to be a difference maker right away as a OAD prospect, playing along side Boogie.

More ball handling is never a bad thing.

DavidBenAkiva
12-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Sure, Ellis is a nice prospect, but if you're Coach K, are you really banking on him developing into a lead guard, or are you getting as many studs as possible, in case Boogie at PG doesn't work out? He could turn out to be a guy like Nolan Smith, who was a FANTASTIC player, but never became a true point guard.

Even if Hampton also isn't a true point, at least he has the pedigree to be a difference maker right away as a OAD prospect, playing along side Boogie.

More ball handling is never a bad thing.

Excellent point. And obviously, the Scheyer-Smith combo was great for a year or so. I could see a situation in which Duke doesn't have a true PG in 2020-21, but there are 3 or 4 guys that bring the ball up the court and all of them can score.

Pghdukie
12-09-2018, 10:44 PM
A name to store in our recruiting logs is Hunter Dickinson. He is a 7'2" center from DeMatha in the D.C.area. He has a long way to go development wise. But he's 2 yrs away from college. Duke has shown some interest.

DavidBenAkiva
12-10-2018, 07:59 AM
A name to store in our recruiting logs is Hunter Dickinson. He is a 7'2" center from DeMatha in the D.C.area. He has a long way to go development wise. But he's 2 yrs away from college. Duke has shown some interest.

I'm super curious to see what names emerge as targets for the coaching staff in the frontcourt. Simply put, there are no frontcourt players on the projected roster after the 2019-20 season. Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, and Jack White will all be gone and, unless something drastic happens, Vernon Carey, J. is a one-and-done. The closest thing Duke might have to a frontcourt player on the current roster is Joey Baker, an undersized stretch-4.

Duke is actively pursuing Jalen Johnson, a 6'8" forward from Wisconsin. By all accounts, he is an elite talent capable of playing that Tatum/Ingram stretch-4 role and even facilitating the offense some. I'd be interested to see if Isaiah Todd, a 6'10" forward that recently moved to the Raleigh area also receives an offer. If Dickinson is a multi-year player, it would be great to see him emerge as a target. Notre Dame appears very interested in him. DeMatha is a Catholic school, after all. Then again, Coach K takes communion, too.

kAzE
12-10-2018, 10:22 AM
I'm super curious to see what names emerge as targets for the coaching staff in the frontcourt. Simply put, there are no frontcourt players on the projected roster after the 2019-20 season. Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, and Jack White will all be gone and, unless something drastic happens, Vernon Carey, J. is a one-and-done. The closest thing Duke might have to a frontcourt player on the current roster is Joey Baker, an undersized stretch-4.

Duke is actively pursuing Jalen Johnson, a 6'8" forward from Wisconsin. By all accounts, he is an elite talent capable of playing that Tatum/Ingram stretch-4 role and even facilitating the offense some. I'd be interested to see if Isaiah Todd, a 6'10" forward that recently moved to the Raleigh area also receives an offer. If Dickinson is a multi-year player, it would be great to see him emerge as a target. Notre Dame appears very interested in him. DeMatha is a Catholic school, after all. Then again, Coach K takes communion, too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us target a few long-term projects in the frontcourt with this class. Someone like Jack White or Javin DeLaurier, who will stay 4 years and develop into a playing role. We're running out of multi-year guys, so 2020 might be a good time to restock.

IrishDevil
12-10-2018, 12:29 PM

Mike Brey attended DeMatha and returned to begin his coaching career there under Morgan Wooten before joining K's staff at Duke in 1987. Current sophomore forward DJ Harvey, former guard Jerian Grant, and one of Brey's associate head coaches are also DeMatha alumni.

Duke is not foreign to DeMatha, either - Danny Ferry is an alum and Quinn Cook started off there before transferring to Oak Hill. I know nothing about Todd or his recruitment specifically, but Brey and ND bball have deep ties to DeMatha. That being said, if Todd has moved on from DeMatha and is highly ranked enough to be on Duke's radar, those ties may not carry the day for the Irish.

DavidBenAkiva
12-13-2018, 02:15 PM
Corey Evans of Rivals has a quick Q&A and update (https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/five-star-jalen-johnson-proves-his-point-updates-recruitment) on top 2020 target Jalen Johnson. Evans describes Johnson, a 6'8" forward as a "positionless player" that could handle anywhere from 1 through 4. Sounds like a Duke kind of player!

Duke expressed early interest in Johnson, a native of Milwaukee. The interest appears mutual. I found the pitch from UCLA - we can get you out of here in 9 months! - odd, if pragmatic. Johnson looks like he will announce in the early signing period or shortly thereafter.

As a playmaking forward with a good jumper, I see Johnson as a Jayson Tatum or Jabari Parker stretch 4 at Duke that could play alongside anyone.

Troublemaker
12-14-2018, 11:06 AM
Evan Daniels‏Verified account @EvanDaniels (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels) 56m56 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1073595943205961728)
Duke is expected to evaluate five-star wing BJ Boston (https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Boston-Jr-22628/ … (https://t.co/eSZ53QtoRg)) on Saturday, his father tells @247Sports (https://twitter.com/247Sports). No. 10 in the 247Sports Composite.

DavidBenAkiva
12-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Corey Evans of Rivals had a write-up from City of Palms on Tuesday and had a lot to say (https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/city-of-palms-tuesday-evans-notebook) about Scottie Barnes. The junior had a triple double in just 26 minutes of action with 13 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists, and 3 blocks. He's a multi-positional player that can facilitate, play all over, and guard nearly anyone on that court. At 6'8" and a wingspan of 7'3", he's got the size and skill to go anywhere. Coach K and staff have probably seen a lot of Barnes as he is a teammate of Vernon Carey, Jr. on the AAU circuit. Apparently, Duke is one of several schools recruiting the young man.

Both Barnes and Jalen Johnson appear to have complimentary skills. Johnson is the more natural scorer and shooter, but both freely share the ball and have similar size and ability to guard multiple positions. I would think having two dynamic, multi-positional playmakers on the roster at the SF/PF position would be a great tandem and starting point for the 2020-21 roster. I'm also really high on Brandon Boston, the Top 10 super skinny shooting guard. I'd like to see Duke get a class of Boston, Barnes, Johnson, and a center or two.

bullettoothtony
12-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Article on zagsblog... Sharife Cooper's dad said that they'd like to visit Duke sometime soon. Are we definitely recruiting him?

sagegrouse
12-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Article on zagsblog... Sharife Cooper's dad said that they'd like to visit Duke sometime soon. Are we definitely recruiting him?

Duke not listed on 247 or ESPN or among the 12 schools listed on Rivals.

907bluedevils
12-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Duke has offered Walker Kessler, 7 footer 5* from GA

mattman91
12-31-2018, 06:23 PM

https://247sports.com/Player/Walker-Kessler-46047954/

Good Lord, how many basketball playing offspring does Ted Cruz have?

sagegrouse
12-31-2018, 06:46 PM
https://247sports.com/Player/Walker-Kessler-46047954/

Good Lord, how many basketball playing offspring does Ted Cruz have?

Looks linda like NC State's Tommy Burleson (https://www.google.com/search?q=tommy+burleson+photo&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=mTfP2SpT0SKsnM%253A%252CzfwywuSs3MPGUM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQEJK_2biXsa9nkeSvrzWMGGBHUHA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_-PDrn8vfAhXDIDQIHcd6DpcQ9QEwA3oECAAQCg#imgrc=mTfP2S pT0SKsnM:) to me.

devildeac
12-31-2018, 06:54 PM
Looks linda like NC State's Tommy Burleson (https://www.google.com/search?q=tommy+burleson+photo&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=mTfP2SpT0SKsnM%253A%252CzfwywuSs3MPGUM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kQEJK_2biXsa9nkeSvrzWMGGBHUHA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_-PDrn8vfAhXDIDQIHcd6DpcQ9QEwA3oECAAQCg#imgrc=mTfP2S pT0SKsnM:) to me.

The "Pinball Wizard?"

;)

CrazyNotCrazie
12-31-2018, 07:21 PM

He is the nephew of Alec Kessler, who was a star at UGA and NBA lottery pick. I remember Alec being recognized as a star student - after playing in the NBA he became a doctor though I forgot until just doing some googling that he died at age 40 of a heart attack. Walker's dad also played at UGA so I'm guessing they will be very tough to beat.

BD80
12-31-2018, 07:24 PM

Poor reading comprehension and eyesight fail me:

I saw 7 foot 5"

sagegrouse
12-31-2018, 08:01 PM
He is the nephew of Alec Kessler, who was a star at UGA and NBA lottery pick. I remember Alec being recognized as a star student - after playing in the NBA he became a doctor though I forgot until just doing some googling that he died at age 40 of a heart attack. Walker's dad also played at UGA so I'm guessing they will be very tough to beat.

Depends on how good he really is. If he is nearly NBA-ready as a freshman, he should come to Duke -- and I expect he would. The level of basketball is so much higher that it is an immediate benefit. If he needs a couple of years, I guess it is a closer call.

BTW, with respect to staying home, whatever happened to the HS senior cry, "I am am so outta here!!" Or was it just me?

Spanarkel
01-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Not saying that Walker is not a very fine player, but I saw him foul the same player shooting a three pointer from the same corner spot twice in a short span of the same game(Adidas AAU Uprising Nationals Tournament, Orange County, CA in July 2018).

devilseven
01-01-2019, 11:06 AM
Not saying that Walker is not a very fine player, but I saw him foul the same player shooting a three pointer from the same corner spot twice in a short span of the same game(Adidas AAU Uprising Nationals Tournament, Orange County, CA in July 2018).

Then, what are you saying?

Spanarkel
01-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Then, what are you saying?

He's a 16/17 year old kid that made a very unusual basketball play(/mistake), that's entirely correctable and doesn't define his skills/potential/basketball IQ or worthiness to receive a Duke offer. My comment was simply an observation of plays that don't typically occur in the course of most basketball games. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic or snarky to anyone. Let's go, Duke!

JasonEvans
01-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Alec Kessler was my age (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Kessler) and we played basketball against each other a little bit growing up in Atlanta. By "played against each other" I mean that I was on the same floor as him and just tried not to get dunked on too viciously.

Alec's brother Chad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Kessler_(basketball))is a few years older than me and Alec. Both brothers became orthopedic surgeons after their basketball careers. Alec was a lot lot lot better than Chad, but Chad still played fairly well for UGA and gave the NBA a shot or two before going the medical school route.

Chad's oldest son, Houston Kessler, (https://georgiadogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=476) played basketball against my oldest son in high school and Houston went on to play for UGA, though he was just an invited walk-on, who rarely played much. He was a real team leader though, he was on all these student-athlete councils and committees. I am certain the family has tremendous ties to UGA and my gut says it will take a lot to get Walker to go anywhere but the Bulldogs. But, if he wants to make a name for himself in college and play on a potential championship team, he's going to have to go elsewhere. It will be interesting to see if family loyalty will trump basketball ambition and the lure of fame. I could see Walker trying to see if some other stud 2020 kids want to join him at UGA... if none do, he might be convinced to head elsewhere.

-Jason "as evidenced by the medical degrees and Houston's leadership role on campus, education does appear to mean a lot to the Kessler family" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
01-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Alec Kessler was my age (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Kessler) and we played basketball against each other a little bit growing up in Atlanta. By "played against each other" I mean that I was on the same floor as him and just tried not to get dunked on too viciously.

Alec's brother Chad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Kessler_(basketball))is a few years older than me and Alec. Both brothers became orthopedic surgeons after their basketball careers. Alec was a lot lot lot better than Chad, but Chad still played fairly well for UGA and gave the NBA a shot or two before going the medical school route.

Quite a family it seems, and I remember Kessler at Georgia.

On a related note, 6-7 Lyman Smith, the former Duke / Minnesota DE or DT also became an orthopedic surgeon after a pro career. He was in fact on my Raleigh Y league mens basketball team for a couple of seasons (very competitive league at the time) and he diagnosed a quad problem I had by watching my play deteriorate over a period of weeks during these games. Interesting guy. BIIG DUDE.

Spanarkel
01-01-2019, 08:36 PM

Chad's oldest son, Houston Kessler, (https://georgiadogs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=476) played basketball against my oldest son in high school and Houston went on to play for UGA, though he was just an invited walk-on, who rarely played much. He was a real team leader though, he was on all these student-athlete councils and committees. I am certain the family has tremendous ties to UGA and my gut says it will take a lot to get Walker to go anywhere but the Bulldogs. But, if he wants to make a name for himself in college and play on a potential championship team, he's going to have to go elsewhere. It will be interesting to see if family loyalty will trump basketball ambition and the lure of fame. I could see Walker trying to see if some other stud 2020 kids want to join him at UGA... if none do, he might be convinced to head elsewhere.

-Jason "as evidenced by the medical degrees and Houston's leadership role on campus, education does appear to mean a lot to the Kessler family" Evans

In his third season at Marquette Tom Crean won 26 games, and in his fourth season at IU Crean won 27 games. Crean helped to develop Victor Oladipo(no. 144 recruit as a high school senior) and was one of only three coaches to offer D. Wade a college scholarship. He is very driven and knows what he's doing, and it seems likely that UGA will be very competitive in the SEC and nationally in the near future. UGA has already had home game sellouts against Arizona State and UMass so far this season.

JasonEvans
01-01-2019, 08:54 PM
In his third season at Marquette Tom Crean won 26 games, and in his fourth season at IU Crean won 27 games. Crean helped to develop Victor Oladipo(no. 144 recruit as a high school senior) and was one of only three coaches to offer D. Wade a college scholarship. He is very driven and knows what he's doing, and it seems likely that UGA will be very competitive in the SEC and nationally in the near future. UGA has already had home game sellouts against Arizona State and UMass so far this season.

Crean was a good hire for Georgia, but the team has a looong way to go to really be relevant to top tier recruits. They are hovering around the top 100 in KenPom and are nowhere near the top half of the SEC. In fact, there is a decent chance they will finish last in the conference this year. We are talking about a 2020 recruit, so the question is if Crean can get them to a point where they look really viable for a top ten player by the fall/winter of next year (unless Kessler decides to wait until spring to sign, which is increasingly rare). I think that seems like a tall order for him.

-Jason "making the NIT would be a nice goal for GA this year... does Kessler really want to go to a school where the NIT is an ambition?" Evans

arnie
01-01-2019, 09:15 PM
Quite a family it seems, and I remember Kessler at Georgia.

On a related note, 6-7 Lyman Smith, the former Duke / Minnesota DE or DT also became an orthopedic surgeon after a pro career. He was in fact on my Raleigh Y league mens basketball team for a couple of seasons (very competitive league at the time) and he diagnosed a quad problem I had by watching my play deteriorate over a period of weeks during these games. Interesting guy. BIIG DUDE.

Dr. Smith recently replaced my knee and is retiring this month. Unfortunately for him, his knees are shot and he’ll be going through TKR soon.

brevity
01-02-2019, 01:08 AM
Dr. Smith recently replaced my knee and is retiring this month. Unfortunately for him, his knees are shot and he’ll be going through TKR soon.

A knee replacement surgeon with knees that need replacing? Dr. Smith must be excellent. This is like that riddle (https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080805153934AA6JT80) about the town with only two dentists: you choose the dentist who has bad teeth.

Spanarkel
01-02-2019, 07:31 AM
Crean was a good hire for Georgia, but the team has a looong way to go to really be relevant to top tier recruits. They are hovering around the top 100 in KenPom and are nowhere near the top half of the SEC. In fact, there is a decent chance they will finish last in the conference this year. We are talking about a 2020 recruit, so the question is if Crean can get them to a point where they look really viable for a top ten player by the fall/winter of next year (unless Kessler decides to wait until spring to sign, which is increasingly rare). I think that seems like a tall order for him.

-Jason "making the NIT would be a nice goal for GA this year... does Kessler really want to go to a school where the NIT is an ambition?" Evans

Your points are sound. I feel that Crean is definitely skilled at developing players who aren't necessarily top tier. As for UGA's KenPom ranking, it's deserved at this point in the season, but Nic Claxton is a tremendous talent and, as Jon Rothstein points out, the Dawgs will be formidable at home even this year in SEC contests.

Jon Rothstein

Verified account

@JonRothstein
30 Dec 2018
More
Georgia is far from an NCAA Tournament team, but Bulldogs should be a tough out at home in the SEC. Very talented front court.

jimsumner
01-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Lyman Smith is so good he can perform his own knee surgery.

BD80
01-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Lyman Smith is so good he can perform his own knee surgery.

Reminds me of the punch line to a different anatomical joke: 'because he can."

DavidBenAkiva
01-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Interesting. From what I have seen and read of the young man, there is a lot of skill in his game. He shoots the ball, handles it, can score around the rim and is an offensive threat out to the 3-point line. At his size, which is listed anywhere from 6'10" to 7'0" tall, that is a nice package. Physically, he doesn't seem to have that explosive element, although he appears to be reasonably quick on his feet. It does look like a lot of time in the gym, working on his lower body and core strength is going to help.

It's been a while since Duke has had a true stretch big. Marvin Bagley III and Wendell Carter, Jr. could stretch the court at times, but they were most effective around the rim. Kessler looks like an outside-in kind of player that would be more apt to create space with his shooting or face up and then defend the post on the other end of the court. We've seen small forwards converted to the stretch-4, but not exactly the same as a Ryan Kelly or Josh McRobers type. Bagley is about the closest I can recall, but his explosive second jump and quickness made him much more effective around the rim. Being a primary threat to shoot the ball could help Duke put together a true 5-out offense if they can pair Kessler with a versatile and good shooting forward. That player just might be Jalen Johnson, a 6'8" forward that is ranked near the top of the Class of 2020.

I don't expect Kesler to be the last big to receive an offer from Duke for this class. None of Bolden, DeLaurier, White, Robinson, or Carey will be on the roster in the fall of 2020. There is a need for at least a couple more forwards. That may come in the form of development (Joey Baker), a transfer this summer, or grad-transfer the next year. But I think we'll see at least 1-2 more Top 50 players from the Class of 2020 receive an offer from Duke soon.

budwom
01-02-2019, 03:37 PM

he's so good he grew two inches since the day we offered him.

devildeac
01-02-2019, 03:45 PM

The Duke "bump." :rolleyes:

lotusland
01-02-2019, 04:10 PM
I think Kessler is a stretch 5. He reminds me of Ferry but it’s probably just the hair. I hope he has Ferry’s competitiveness.

sagegrouse
01-02-2019, 06:01 PM

Walking on air after being offered by Duke.

Bluedevil114
01-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Kessler could be a recruiting battle between Duke and Virginia. It is early but he looks to be a kid that could fit in well with both programs. Duke did win the Marshall Plumlee recruiting battle with Virginia. Was that the last one with Virginia? He wants to commit in October or November before his senior season begins.

JasonEvans
01-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Kessler could be a recruiting battle between Duke and Virginia. It is early but he looks to be a kid that could fit in well with both programs. Duke did win the Marshall Plumlee recruiting battle with Virginia. Was that the last one with Virginia? He wants to commit in October or November before his senior season begins.

As I mentioned upthread, Georgia is a player here as his father, uncle, and brother all played for the Dawgs.

Also, while I see that Virginia is involved and is getting a visit from Walker this weekend (he's also taken visits to Michigan and Vandy), the kid seems like a likely one-and-done (anyone ranked in the top 15 is a likely OAD) and Virginia has not been a player for one-and-done talent. In fact, in Walker Kessler's lifetime, Kyle Guy is the only Virginia recruit who was even a McDonald's All-American.

-Jason "I found a database of McD rosters and the schools the kids attended (https://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/mcdonalds/rosters/1999) going back to 1999... Guy is the only Virginia kid in that time" Evans

UrinalCake
01-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Duke did win the Marshall Plumlee recruiting battle with Virginia. Was that the last one with Virginia?

Duke did recruit Austin Nichols, not sure if that counts. Also I think we wanted Cory Alexander.

flyingdutchdevil
01-04-2019, 10:57 AM
As I mentioned upthread, Georgia is a player here as his father, uncle, and brother all played for the Dawgs.

Also, while I see that Virginia is involved and is getting a visit from Walker this weekend (he's also taken visits to Michigan and Vandy), the kid seems like a likely one-and-done (anyone ranked in the top 15 is a likely OAD) and Virginia has not been a player for one-and-done talent. In fact, in Walker Kessler's lifetime, Kyle Guy is the only Virginia recruit who was even a McDonald's All-American.

-Jason "I found a database of McD rosters and the schools the kids attended (https://basketball.realgm.com/highschool/mcdonalds/rosters/1999) going back to 1999... Guy is the only Virginia kid in that time" Evans

That's incredible given that UVa has won the ACC reg reason 3 times in the last 5 years (14, 15, 18).

ChillinDuke
01-04-2019, 11:39 AM
That's incredible given that UVa has won the ACC reg reason 3 times in the last 5 years (14, 15, 18).

How many regular season titles would it take to wipe away the scourge of being the only team to ever lose to a 16-seed in the NCAAT? 1? 3? 5? More than 5?

For me personally, it's probably 5. Maybe more.

I digress.

- Chillin

sagegrouse
01-04-2019, 11:53 AM
How many regular season titles would it take to wipe away the scourge of being the only team to ever lose to a 16-seed in the NCAAT? 1? 3? 5? More than 5?

For me personally, it's probably 5. Maybe more.

I digress.

- Chillin

Aside from the ability to razz the Hoos endlessly, is this more a curiosity than a disgrace? Does anyone really care that Ralph Sampson's 1982 #1 UVa team lost to Chaminade at the Maui Tournament, in the previous "largest upset in history?" Actually, it's pretty neat to have the entry 1 and 1A in the Upset Sweepstakes.

No, I take it back. It's a disgrace.

ChillinDuke
01-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Aside from the ability to razz the Hoos endlessly, is this more a curiosity than a disgrace? Does anyone really care that Ralph Sampson's 1982 #1 UVa team lost to Chaminade at the Maui Tournament, in the previous "largest upset in history?" Actually, it's pretty neat to have the entry 1 and 1A in the Upset Sweepstakes.

No, I take it back. It's a disgrace.

Haha

Most definitely a disgrace. No question about it. Just imagine, for a very quick, fleeting moment that you will forever forget entirely, if it happened to Duke...

[/vomit]

- Chillin

PS - Sorry, I know this is the recruiting thread. I'll stop before someone equates a message board with a reputable news outlet (if they exist anymore).

El_Diablo
01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Duke did win the Marshall Plumlee recruiting battle with Virginia. Was that the last one with Virginia?

Duke recruited Justin Anderson and Jay Huff (both of whom went to UVA). Quinn Cook had an offer from UVA. That's all I am aware of in that timeframe.

jimsumner
01-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Duke recruited Justin Anderson and Jay Huff (both of whom went to UVA). Quinn Cook had an offer from UVA. That's all I am aware of in that timeframe.

I'm not sure Anderson ever had an offer. Huff did not. Curiously, in that class Huff went from Durham to Charlottesville, while Javin DeLaurier went from Charlottesville to Durham.

Duke did very much want Willie Dersch, who was in Carrawell's class.

ChillinDuke
01-04-2019, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure Anderson ever had an offer. Huff did not. Curiously, in that class Huff went from Durham to Charlottesville, while Javin DeLaurier went from Charlottesville to Durham.

I recall Anderson did have an offer. At the very least, I recall Duke being very interested because he was the one guy I wanted most in Durham in the past 10 years or so I've followed recruiting. And I wouldn't have felt that way if he was just of "fringe" interest level by the program.

- Chillin

El_Diablo
01-04-2019, 04:08 PM

Right. I'm not sure about Anderson either (which is why I worded my post to say we recruited him, not that he received an offer). He committed to UVA during his junior year, so it might have been before he got an offer from Duke. We also recruited Huff, although per his dad Duke got involved late in the process, after Jay was pretty much locked into UVA. If your point is that neither was really a major recruiting battle for Duke, I would agree.

jimsumner
01-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Anderson originally committed to Maryland but re-opened after Gary Williams retired.

DavidBenAkiva
01-21-2019, 10:53 AM
One of the top Duke prospects, Brandon Boston, Jr., was playing at the Hoophall Classic over the weekend in Springfield, MA. If you scroll down a bit, there's a nice scouting report and video on Boston. There are other reports, too, including Anthony Edwards, Armando Bacot, and many of the top juniors and seniors in high school. Boston is Brandon Ingram-thin but the kid can shoot the ball. He has NBA range and can shoot off the dribble or with a stepback. His release is super quick, too, among the fastest I've seen. It's like Luke Kennard if Luke had chopsticks for arms. Boston is a shooting guard in college and the NBA at 6'6." If he grows a few more inches and adds any amount of weight, he could be a truly elite recruit with multi-positional defensive skills. Boston is one of the top priorities for Duke for the Class of 2020.

https://www.masslive.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/01/4bca7d4fc41817/hoophall-classic-2019-scouting-reports-for-anthony-edwards-kahlil-whitney-top-prospects-from-event.html

DavidBenAkiva
01-22-2019, 10:49 PM
2020 5-star Center Walker Kessler is going to take an official visit to Duke on February 1st and will be in attendance for the St. John's game.

Kessler is a stretch 5, a kid listed at somewhere between 6'10" and 7'0" tall. He can shoot the ball from 3, block shots, has a reasonable handle and fairly smooth for his size. He's got a lot of work to gain strength to match his agility. He's no Ryan Kelly, but the need to improve the legs and core strength is real. But he is only a junior.

Coballs
01-22-2019, 11:19 PM
2020 5-star Center Walker Kessler is going to take an official visit to Duke on February 1st and will be in attendance for the St. John's game.

Kessler is a stretch 5, a kid listed at somewhere between 6'10" and 7'0" tall. He can shoot the ball from 3, block shots, has a reasonable handle and fairly smooth for his size. He's got a lot of work to gain strength to match his agility. He's no Ryan Kelly, but the need to improve the legs and core strength is real. But he is only a junior.

And he's Grayson Allen's doppelganger

dukebballcamper90-91
01-23-2019, 05:40 AM
Boston kid upside is through the roof. Now we know why Goldwire got a scholly.

DavidBenAkiva
01-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Boston kid upside is through the roof. Now we know why Goldwire got a scholly.

Maybe! Norcross produces several high major recruits each year. Rayshaun Hammonds and JoJo Toppin at Georgia and Lance Thomas at Louisville are current alums of Norcross playing in High Major Division I teams. Back in the day, Al-Farouq Aminu of Wake Forest was from Norcross. You have to love their high school mascot.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b0/Norcross_High_logo.png/220px-Norcross_High_logo.png

I'm really high on Boston. He's got an exceptionally high ceiling. He, along with Jalen Johnson and Walker Kessler, would form a talented trio at Duke.

English
01-23-2019, 10:57 AM

According to some recruiting services (and Kessler himself), he's considering reclassing to the 2019 class.

Rich
01-23-2019, 01:08 PM
According to some recruiting services (and Kessler himself), he's considering reclassing to the 2019 class.

Can he play point guard?

-jk
01-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Maybe! Norcross produces several high major recruits each year. Rayshaun Hammonds and JoJo Toppin at Georgia and Lance Thomas at Louisville are current alums of Norcross playing in High Major Division I teams. Back in the day, Al-Farouq Aminu of Wake Forest was from Norcross. You have to love their high school mascot.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b0/Norcross_High_logo.png/220px-Norcross_High_logo.png

I'm really high on Boston. He's got an exceptionally high ceiling. He, along with Jalen Johnson and Walker Kessler, would form a talented trio at Duke.

Yikes! Hope they’re paying royalties!

-jk

CrazyNotCrazie
01-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Yikes! Hope they’re paying royalties!

-jk

I would be happy to waive all royalties in exchange for Boston signing with us!

NSDukeFan
01-23-2019, 05:44 PM
And he's Grayson Allen's doppelganger

Doesn’t he look more like Ted Cruz? 😀

BD80
01-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Doesn’t he look more like Ted Cruz? 😀

Standing on Grayson Allen's shoulders?

BlueDevil16
01-23-2019, 09:12 PM

Can he reclassify to 2019?

CDu
01-23-2019, 09:33 PM
Can he reclassify to 2019?

Why would we want him to do that? Another center isn’t what next year’s team needs.

BlueDevil16
01-23-2019, 10:23 PM
Why would we want him to do that? Another center isn’t what next year’s team needs.

Did you miss the coaching staff try to go for Stewart??????

Can argue if Stewart was the 4 or if it would be Carey, but don't act. And there have been pretty public rumblings that Bolden might move on next year to another program (although Adam and John have been pretty miss on predicting what Bolden will do).

CDu
01-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Can argue if Stewart was the 4 or if it would be Carey, but don't act. And there have been pretty public rumblings that Bolden might move on next year to another program (although Adam and John have been pretty miss on predicting what Bolden will do).

Two counterpoint:
1. Stewart is a better prospect than Kessler
2. Stewart has the athleticism to potentially play the 4 defensively, whereas Kessler does not

I could see Carey and Stewart sharing the floor defensively. I cannot see Carey and Kessler sharing the floor defensively.

So, no, I'd not rather see Kessler reclassify if he chooses us.

907bluedevils
01-24-2019, 03:55 PM
I think Kessler is right on the edge of 1 and done or not. What he could potentially do is reclass, redshirt a year to work on his body (technically his HS senior year), play a year and be done.

BandAlum83
01-24-2019, 04:23 PM
I think Kessler is right on the edge of 1 and done or not. What he could potentially do is reclass, redshirt a year to work on his body (technically his HS senior year), play a year and be done.

There would be a lot of advantages to this for any borderline OAD:

Gets to work for two years with the GOAT every day
Practices with NBA level talent every day
Gets world class training in the weight room, nutrition, etc.
Is better prepared for his OAD year
I assume gets education in all the things a future NBA paer might need (communications, media, financials, etc.)
On the same timeline, is two years or more towards a college degree

duke79
01-24-2019, 04:33 PM
There would be a lot of advantages to this for any borderline OAD:

Gets to work for two years with the GOAT every day
Practices with NBA level talent every day
Gets world class training in the weight room, nutrition, etc.
Is better prepared for his OAD year
I assume gets education in all the things a future NBA paer might need (communications, media, financials, etc.)
On the same timeline, is two years or more towards a college degree

This makes a LOT of sense (for certain kids)!

JasonEvans
01-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Why would he redshirt? The only thing Redshirting does is preserve a year of eligibility down the line. A kid like Kessler is almost certainly expecting to be in school for one or maybe two years. Why would he waste one of those years sitting on the bench and not competing at all in games? This makes zero sense.

Baker is doing it because he expects to be a 4-year player at Duke and he would rather those 4 years be 2019/20-2022/23 versus 2018/19-2021/22.

I said it earlier and CDu agrees, if Kessler reclassifies it is not something good for Duke (unless he does not mind being part of a very, very crowded frontcourt in 2019-20).

-Jason "frankly, given his family's ties to UGA, I would be shocked if Kessler does not go to the Dawgs" Evans

907bluedevils
01-24-2019, 05:07 PM
Why would he redshirt? The only thing Redshirting does is preserve a year of eligibility down the line. A kid like Kessler is almost certainly expecting to be in school for one or maybe two years. Why would he waste one of those years sitting on the bench and not competing at all in games? This makes zero sense.

Baker is doing it because he expects to be a 4-year player at Duke and he would rather those 4 years be 2019/20-2022/23 versus 2018/19-2021/22.

I said it earlier and CDu agrees, if Kessler reclassifies it is not something good for Duke (unless he does not mind being part of a very, very crowded frontcourt in 2019-20).

-Jason "frankly, given his family's ties to UGA, I would be shocked if Kessler does not go to the Dawgs" Evans

Thats a great point, no reason to redshirt.

yancem
01-24-2019, 06:27 PM

Why would it be “not something good for Duke”? I think it might be better than getting Stewart it Hurt. If we had signed Stewart, we probably lose Bolden who is starting to play better and better. Even Hurt could chase Bolden away since Carey would then probably play more at the 5. Kessler wouldn’t scare Bolden away, could come in play a smaller role for a year while he works on his strength and conditioning and then be ready to start his sophomore year when we loose Bolden, Delaurier, Carey and White. A sophomore Kessler is better than a freshman Kessler, right? I kinda think, it’s the best outcome we can hope for since there doesn’t seem to be any quality long term bigs left in the 2019 class. (I like Hurt a lot I think we need a smaller role big that will be around in 2021 more)

mattman91
01-24-2019, 06:36 PM
Why would it be “not something good for Duke”? I think it might be better than getting Stewart it Hurt. If we had signed Stewart, we probably lose Bolden who is starting to play better and better. Even Hurt could chase Bolden away since Carey would then probably play more at the 5. Kessler wouldn’t scare Bolden away, could come in play a smaller role for a year while he works on his strength and conditioning and then be ready to start his sophomore year when we loose Bolden, Delaurier, Carey and White. A sophomore Kessler is better than a freshman Kessler, right? I kinda think, it’s the best outcome we can hope for since there doesn’t seem to be any quality long term bigs left in the 2019 class. (I like Hurt a lot I think we need a smaller role big that will be around in 2021 more)

I agree with you.

Kessler is not a unanamous top 5 or even top 10 recruit. I remember a few years ago a certain big man, who is currently on our roster, was surely going to be a one and done. He was also similarly ranked.

dukelifer
01-24-2019, 08:35 PM

I suspect that Baker will be a 3 year player as he will graduate in 3 years and I expect he will be a very good player his senior year- good enough to go pro in the US or abroad. He may stay 4 years if he has a chance to get a jersey retired or hit some Duke record.

JasonEvans
01-24-2019, 09:23 PM

You guys make a really good point. Kessler's ranking is not all that dissimilar to Baker (#13 in the 2019 class and then dropped to about 40 when he joined the 2018 class). I suppose it is possible Kessler would not mind playing a relatively small role during his reclassified freshman season. Generally, when kids reclass, they expect to play a good bit and many of them do it so they can get to the NBA faster, but Kessler may not be thinking that way. Without knowing what is in his head, it is really hard to project whether a reclass would be good or bad for Duke.

I suspect that Baker will be a 3 year player as he will graduate in 3 years and I expect he will be a very good player his senior year- good enough to go pro in the US or abroad. He may stay 4 years if he has a chance to get a jersey retired or hit some Duke record.

That is entirely possible but I feel like the theory in redshirting him this year was that he might stay 4 years. If there was some degree of confidence that he would only be a 2 or 3 year player, there is no reason to redshirt him this season. I suppose it is also possible that K realized Baker would never see meaningful minutes for us with O'Connell, White, and so many guys ahead of him and so K decided to redshirt Joey just in case things fall into place in a way that allows us to squeeze a 4th year out of him. Hey, no one ever thought Bolden would be here for his junior and likely senior season when he first enrolled either.

-Jason "I sorta want Baker to be here for only a couple seasons though as it would mean he had blossomed into a heck of a player" Evans

Pghdukie
01-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Dont lose sight of the NBA/Players contract.

dukelifer
01-24-2019, 10:38 PM
You guys make a really good point. Kessler's ranking is not all that dissimilar to Baker (#13 in the 2019 class and then dropped to about 40 when he joined the 2018 class). I suppose it is possible Kessler would not mind playing a relatively small role during his reclassified freshman season. Generally, when kids reclass, they expect to play a good bit and many of them do it so they can get to the NBA faster, but Kessler may not be thinking that way. Without knowing what is in his head, it is really hard to project whether a reclass would be good or bad for Duke.

That is entirely possible but I feel like the theory in redshirting him this year was that he might stay 4 years. If there was some degree of confidence that he would only be a 2 or 3 year player, there is no reason to redshirt him this season. I suppose it is also possible that K realized Baker would never see meaningful minutes for us with O'Connell, White, and so many guys ahead of him and so K decided to redshirt Joey just in case things fall into place in a way that allows us to squeeze a 4th year out of him. Hey, no one ever thought Bolden would be here for his junior and likely senior season when he first enrolled either.

-Jason "I sorta want Baker to be here for only a couple seasons though as it would mean he had blossomed into a heck of a player" Evans

Baker may be the team's Daniel Jones. I agree that he would have not seen much playing time this year- although the kid has a very nice shooting stroke and with his size- he could be a nice addition. K was seeing a lot from Jack in practice as a shooter at the start of year and figured he was going to be a reliable threat from deep. The hope is that Jack regains his early shooting form and confidence- otherwise K may need to pull the redshirt and let Baker have his Freshman Grayson moment.

jimsumner
01-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Baker may be the team's Daniel Jones. I agree that he would have not seen much playing time this year- although the kid has a very nice shooting stroke and with his size- he could be a nice addition. K was seeing a lot from Jack in practice as a shooter at the start of year and figured he was going to be a reliable threat from deep. The hope is that Jack regains his early shooting form and confidence- otherwise K may need to pull the redshirt and let Baker have his Freshman Grayson moment.

Assuming the absence of a significant run of long-term injuries, Joey Baker will not play this season.

BandAlum83
01-25-2019, 03:15 AM
Assuming the absence of a significant run of long-term injuries, Joey Baker will not play this season.

I see a reclass redshirt as an opportunity to spend a year at the college level instead of the HS level without the expectation or pressure of paying in games for a youngster who might not be ready for ACC competition physically, but is a genuine NBA prospect.

For prospects that need seasoning and aren’t automatic OADs, it seems like it could make sense for the reasons I posted previously.

English
01-25-2019, 12:37 PM

Wait, what? This again? Did I miss these public rumblings, or is it the same old speculation because Bolden doesn't smile enough on the bench?

JasonEvans
01-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Wait, what? This again? Did I miss these public rumblings, or is it the same old speculation because Bolden doesn't smile enough on the bench?

I've not heard these rumblings at all. There has been some speculation that he might enter the NBA draft, but a transfer seems highly unlikely unless he has busted his hump in school and is on course to graduate this spring (and it is still somewhat unlikely in that case as well, it is not like he is not getting playing time at Duke right now).

DavidBenAkiva
01-25-2019, 01:31 PM
Why are we talking about Bolden in the 2020 thread? Unless the worst happens and he gets injured, there's no chance he is on the roster in 2020.

JasonEvans
01-26-2019, 10:01 AM
Top 40 2020 SF Henry Coleman from Richmond will be taking an unofficial visit to Duke today. Coleman is being recruited by a ton of ACC and SEC teams, including UVA and Va Tech, and he supposedly has an offer from Kansas. He's a high flying dunker who has good handle but not a great shot. He does not have a Duke offer yet.

Pghdukie
01-26-2019, 10:23 AM
I've not heard these rumblings at all. There has been some speculation that he might enter the NBA draft, but a transfer seems highly unlikely unless he has busted his hump in school and is on course to graduate this spring (and it is still somewhat unlikely in that case as well, it is not like he is not getting playing time at Duke right now).

I have heard he has considered entering the pre-draft camp - But not hire an agent. Which may be Bolden's best option.

DavidBenAkiva
01-26-2019, 10:44 AM
Top 40 2020 SF Henry Coleman from Richmond will be taking an unofficial visit to Duke today. Coleman is being recruited by a ton of ACC and SEC teams, including UVA and Va Tech, and he supposedly has an offer from Kansas. He's a high flying dunker who has good handle but not a great shot. He does not have a Duke offer yet.

I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'6" to 6'8" and is ranked as 69th (nice) on the 247Sports Composite but 133rd on the 247Sports ranking for the Class of 2020. If he's Top 40 on another list and receiving attention from Kansas and other high-major teams, maybe he's a fast-rising junior.

Coleman seems like an ideal candidate for the Duke frontcourt as a long-term prospect, a la Javin DeLaurier and Jack White. He's got great athleticism and good size for the college 4. If he grows another couple inches in the next couple years, even better. I hope he enjoys his visit this weekend.

JasonEvans
01-26-2019, 09:03 PM
I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'6" to 6'8" and is ranked as 69th (nice) on the 247Sports Composite but 133rd on the 247Sports ranking for the Class of 2020. If he's Top 40 on another list and receiving attention from Kansas and other high-major teams, maybe he's a fast-rising junior.

ESPN has him #41.
He is #43 in Rivals and their ranking indicates he moved up 30 spots since their last ranking, so he seems like the very definition of a fast-riser.

DavidBenAkiva
01-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Duke appears to be showing interest in 2020 PG Sharife Cooper of Marietta, Georgia, according to Adam Zagoria. There sure are a lot of Georgia recruits in this class. Cooper is 6'0" tall and has attracted the interest from Auburn and Kentucky, among others. He was recently named MVP of the City of Palms Tournament, Hoop Hall Classic, Bass Pro Shops Tournament, and more. He also seems close with Brandon Boston, Jr. The young man has an excellent shot and vision as well as "moxie" and every other adjective attributed to the basketball players of shorter stature. There might be a visit this spring from the young man.

BandAlum83
01-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Duke appears to be showing interest in 2020 PG Sharife Cooper of Marietta, Georgia, according to Adam Zagoria. There sure are a lot of Georgia recruits in this class. Cooper is 6'0" tall and has attracted the interest from Auburn and Kentucky, among others. He was recently named MVP of the City of Palms Tournament, Hoop Hall Classic, Bass Pro Shops Tournament, and more. He also seems close with Brandon Boston, Jr. The young man has an excellent shot and vision as well as "moxie" and every other adjective attributed to the basketball players of shorter stature. There might be a visit this spring from the young man.

At 5'8" i must laugh at the thought of a 6'0" guy being of "shorter" stature, but I get you.

DavidBenAkiva
01-28-2019, 03:45 PM

Here is the young man (right), his family, and the head coach of the men's basketball team. Apparently, the young man also boasts a 3.5 GPA. He looks like a Duke kid, or maybe it's just the smile and the glasses.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyBVC6jXcAAtmDj.jpg

BandAlum83
01-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Here is the young man (right), his family, and the head coach of the men's basketball team. Apparently, the young man also boasts a 3.5 GPA. He looks like a Duke kid, or maybe it's just the smile and the glasses.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyBVC6jXcAAtmDj.jpg

Maybe baby brother is another Tre Jones and has Duke posters on his bedroom wall!

TruBlu
01-28-2019, 04:03 PM
He looks like “Little Duhon”, who sat with the Crazies. (What ever became of “Little Duhon”?)

Kedsy
01-28-2019, 04:08 PM
He looks like a Duke kid, or maybe it's just the smile and the glasses.

Wait, Duke kids smile? And they have glasses?

HereBeforeCoachK
01-28-2019, 05:19 PM

Jim I would not doubt you for a second on this. That said, I can't really see the rationale for redshirting him. Sure, from the outside, there are often things we don't know and don't see....but with a lot of decisions, it's obvious the reasoning. That is not the case here.

If someone can state that, either as a theory or from some inside info, I'd love to know. Not criticizing, just curious.

flyingdutchdevil
01-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Maybe baby brother is another Tre Jones and has Duke posters on his bedroom wall!

He looks like the son of Jabari and Zion.

Kedsy
01-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Jim I would not doubt you for a second on this. That said, I can't really see the rationale for redshirting him. Sure, from the outside, there are often things we don't know and don't see...but with a lot of decisions, it's obvious the reasoning. That is not the case here.

If someone can state that, either as a theory or from some inside info, I'd love to know. Not criticizing, just curious.

No inside info, but couldn't it be as simple as (a) Joey and Coach K believe Joey will probably play four years at Duke; (b) the plan Joey and his family made with Coach K when Joey reclassified was to redshirt this year and everybody's still happy with that plan?

Joey Baker was the #37 recruit (per RSCI) of 2018. Despite his ability to shoot he may simply not be ready physically to play ACC level basketball, at the speed of ACC basketball, especially on defense. In other words, he might be a less-experienced, less-ready Alex O'Connell. If there's any kind of reasonable chance that he'd want to play four years at Duke, why burn the redshirt if we already have an Alex O'Connell and he doesn't even play that much?

cato
01-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Jim I would not doubt you for a second on this. That said, I can't really see the rationale for redshirting him. Sure, from the outside, there are often things we don't know and don't see...but with a lot of decisions, it's obvious the reasoning. That is not the case here.

I do not see the mystery. He is not going to crack the rotation, so why take the redshirt option off the table?

CDu
01-28-2019, 05:50 PM
No inside info, but couldn't it be as simple as (a) Joey and Coach K believe Joey will probably play four years at Duke; (b) the plan Joey and his family made with Coach K when Joey reclassified was to redshirt this year and everybody's still happy with that plan?

Joey Baker was the #37 recruit (per RSCI) of 2018. Despite his ability to shoot he may simply not be ready physically to play ACC level basketball, at the speed of ACC basketball, especially on defense. In other words, he might be a less-experienced, less-ready Alex O'Connell. If there's any kind of reasonable chance that he'd want to play four years at Duke, why burn the redshirt if we already have an Alex O'Connell and he doesn't even play that much?

Coach K has, in the past, expressed regret at not redshirting Ryan Kelly. Imagine having Kelly on the 2014 team that desperately needed a big. It appears Coach K is doing the same here. Baker would have been a HS senior, but instead is learning the system. And White and O’Connell appear to provide what Baker would. So the idea is that Baker will be more valuable as a 23 year old in 2023 than as a 19 year old backup in 2019.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Coach K has, in the past, expressed regret at not redshirting Ryan Kelly. Imagine having Kelly on the 2014 team that desperately needed a big. It appears Coach K is doing the same here. Baker would have been a HS senior, but instead is learning the system. And White and O’Connell appear to provide what Baker would. So the idea is that Baker will be more valuable as a 23 year old in 2023 than as a 19 year old backup in 2019.

Coach K said the same thing about Erik Meek way back in the day. Erik had been in a traffic accident his senior year of HS (I think he broke his leg) and barely recovered enough to play sparingly as a freshman. He would have been super valuable as a fifth year senior.:cool:

sagegrouse
01-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Coach K said the same thing about Erik Meek way back in the day. Erik had been in a traffic accident his senior year of HS (I think he broke his leg) and barely recovered enough to play sparingly as a freshman. He would have been super valuable as a fifth year senior.:cool:

Erik Meek unnecessarily burned a year of eligibility in 1991-92, but he got a ring!

ehdg
01-28-2019, 06:43 PM

Good memory Oz. He did in fact have a broken leg. I seem to recall he was jogging n was hit by a car is what happened.

jimsumner
01-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Duke was going to redshirt Eric Meek in 1992 but changed their minds when Crawford Palmer decided to transfer to Dartmouth.

Meek and Cherokee Parks were classmates. Duke decided to redshirt Meek in 1995, when both were seniors, which would have brought him back as redshirt senior in 1996.

But then Joey Beard got mono. K decided to play Meek and Beard decided to transfer.

K has acknowledged that he should have held out Meek back in 1992. Michael Thompson is another player who might have benefitted from a freshman redshirt, which would have taken him out of the same class as Shelden Williams and Shavlik Randolph. Of course, MT ended up having to drop the sport because of a heart condition.

I also wish K had redshirted Lee Melchionni back in 2003. Luol Deng was the only 2004 freshman and there was never a chance he would have been around as a senior in 2007. Melchionni could have been a fifth-year senior that year. And he played all of 71 minutes in 2003.

But I've never talked to him about this and for all I know, he was determined to wrap it up in four years.

Troublemaker
01-29-2019, 11:45 AM

At 5'8" i must laugh at the thought of a 6'0" guy being of "shorter" stature, but I get you.

If you watch video of Cooper, you might also laugh at him being listed at 6'0", unless they're measuring to the top of his hair. Not that I don't like the overall package and what I'm reading about him.

Let's see if the visit happens and whether we actually end up offering. According to a USAToday blog post by Cooper in December (https://usatodayhss.com/2018/the-sharife-cooper-blog-strong-start-to-season-tekashi-6ix9ine-creed-ii-and-more), Duke is one of three schools watching him the most along with Kentucky and Auburn. But, proof will be in the pudding. Let's see if an offer happens.

WVDUKEFAN
01-29-2019, 08:00 PM
He looks like the son of Jabari and Zion.

Looks like the son of Steve Erkle.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-29-2019, 08:11 PM
I do not see the mystery. He is not going to crack the rotation, so why take the redshirt option off the table?

Why put it on the table in the first place. What are the chances he will stay all five years? What are the chances he'll have a shot at helping a natty better than this season? I'd say about zero to both. With a top 45 recruit, the assumption is NO red shirt....therefore the case for redshirt needs to be made.

HereBeforeCoachK
01-29-2019, 08:12 PM

I had wondered about this being "part of the deal" with the reclassify issue.....

cato
01-29-2019, 08:22 PM
Why put it on the table in the first place. What are the chances he will stay all five years? What are the chances he'll have a shot at helping a natty better than this season? I'd say about zero to both. With a top 45 recruit, the assumption is NO red shirt...therefore the case for redshirt needs to be made.

Are you asking why you put this question on the table in the first place? I do not know.

The case for redshirt is straight forward: Baker, his family and the Duke coaching staff thought he would benefit more from a redshirt year in the program than playing another year in high school.

The case for burning a redshirt is the head scratcher. He isn’t going to earn meaningful minutes this year absent significant injury issues. Why waste a year of eligibility for a few minutes of garbage time?

CDu
01-29-2019, 08:29 PM
Why put it on the table in the first place. What are the chances he will stay all five years? What are the chances he'll have a shot at helping a natty better than this season? I'd say about zero to both. With a top 45 recruit, the assumption is NO red shirt...therefore the case for redshirt needs to be made.

What were the chances that Ryan Kelly (top-15 recruit) would stay in college five years (if it had been possible)? How about Amile Jefferson (top-25)? Chase Jeter (top-15)? Derrick Thornton (top-20)? Javin DeLaurier (top-40)? Andre Dawkins? A guy outside the top-20 is more likely to be around for four years than to be early-entry. And there are top-40 guys who simply aren’t physically ready - a scenario even more likely when said player is a reclass case.

lotusland
01-29-2019, 08:30 PM

4yr Duke players ranked ahead of Baker:
Singler
Paulus
Nolan
Ryan
Sulaimon
Demarcus Nelson
Grayson
Mason
Gbinije
Ojeleye
Amile
Lance
Zoubek
Quin Cook
Most likely D Thornton, Bolden and Jeter

HereBeforeCoachK
01-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Are you asking why you put this question on the table in the first place? I do not know.

The case for redshirt is straight forward: Baker, his family and the Duke coaching staff thought he would benefit more from a redshirt year in the program than playing another year in high school.

The case for burning a redshirt is the head scratcher. He isn’t going to earn meaningful minutes this year absent significant injury issues. Why waste a year of eligibility for a few minutes of garbage time?

I'm not advocating for it necessarily, and Im not sure anyone has fully advocated for it. I just would like the question explored. But to your last sentence, a silly one, no one who is advocating for perhaps burning the redshirt is doing so 'for garbage time.' This came up as Duke was shooting less than 20% from three over four full games, and only AOC was shooting decent on the roster. The theory was he could possibly help in that regard in a meaningful way. Maybe he could, and maybe he couldn't, but garbage time has ZIP ZERO NADA to do with this conversation.

I also would like to know where you get your inside info...

lotusland
01-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Baker’s Ranking indicates he most likelywill be a 4-yr player according to this

https://247sports.com/college/duke/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

cato
01-29-2019, 08:51 PM
I'm not advocating for it necessarily, and Im not sure anyone has fully advocated for it. I just would like the question explored. But to your last sentence, a silly one, no one who is advocating for perhaps burning the redshirt is doing so 'for garbage time.' This came up as Duke was shooting less than 20% from three over four full games, and only AOC was shooting decent on the roster. The theory was he could possibly help in that regard in a meaningful way. Maybe he could, and maybe he couldn't, but garbage time has ZIP ZERO NADA to do with this conversation.

I also would like to know where you get your inside info...

If you’re not advocating burning the redshirt, I’ll bow out of the discussion. But your posts would be more effective if you cut the “silly” stuff.

Kedsy
01-29-2019, 10:16 PM

Well, you say it wouldn't be for garbage time, but unless you think he'd jump past Javin and Alex on the depth chart, I don't see how he'd get too many meaningful minutes. If K thought shooting was more important than defense, he would have already been playing Alex big minutes.

JasonEvans
01-30-2019, 07:46 AM
I'm not advocating for it necessarily, and Im not sure anyone has fully advocated for it. I just would like the question explored.

I suspect the question was explored extensively by Baker, his family, Coach K, and the rest of the coaching staff. We are merely witness to their decision.

Let's be clear, the expectation was that Baker would arrive on the Duke roster in the fall of 2019. That is when his high school class goes to school. That is the class into which he was recruited. But, an opportunity arose (thanks to Baker's accelerated school work) for him to come to Duke a year early. Rather than playing high school ball, he could spend a year practicing against college players and acclimating to the change that is college life. Duke and Baker thought that would be an excellent idea so they did it.

I never saw this as a "should we redshirt him" question. Baker is merely doing what was expected. The question was "is he so special that we should play him a year earlier than expected?" The answer was no.

-Jason "can we put this one to bed now? What is it even doing in this thread anyway?" Evans

HereBeforeCoachK
01-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Well, you say it wouldn't be for garbage time, but unless you think he'd jump past Javin and Alex on the depth chart, I don't see how he'd get too many meaningful minutes. If K thought shooting was more important than defense, he would have already been playing Alex big minutes.

To be more precise, I said the theory upon which taking off the redshirt makes sense would NOT be for garbage time...ie...no one who was advocating for this - which I was not necessarily - or even pursuing the discussion - was doing it with garbage time in mind. (And by the way, it was this year's frosh class who insisted Joey join them for the SI photo shoot. Just sayin...)

And again, to be precise, this notion really didn't come up for the most part until an historically poor four game shooting display. Nobody said burn the redshirt even if he's not ready to do anything but garbage time.

House P
01-30-2019, 09:30 AM
What are the chances he will stay all five years?

A guy outside the top-20 is more likely to be around for four years than to be early-entry.

For what it is worth, Baker was ranked #37 in the final RSCI rankings. As far as I can tell, of the 100 guys who were ranked 25-49 in the final RSCI rankings between 2011 and 2014,

- 26 were drafted by the NBA within 4 years of their HS class entering college.
- 8 were not drafted, but have played at least one NBA game.

Based on this, you could say that 34 of the 100 players ranked 25-49 in the RSCI between 2011 and 2014 were "ready for the NBA" within 4 years of entering college.

Conversely, you could say that approximately two-thirds of players ranked 25-49 were probably not "ready for the NBA" after their 4th year in college and, thus, would have been good candidates to return for a 5th year if they had the option.

Baker's prospects to be "NBA ready" by the end of the 2021-22 college season may or may not be typical of this group. Of course, even if he is "not NBA ready" by the end of the 2021-22 season, there is also a chance that he will not be at Duke for a 5th year in 2022-23 .

frb
01-30-2019, 04:52 PM
if Baker was better than White, he'd be on the floor. It's that simple.

jimsumner
01-30-2019, 06:05 PM
if Baker was better than White, he'd be on the floor. It's that simple.

It's actually more nuanced than that. Based on what I've heard and seen, White is indeed overall a better player than Baker.

But imagine they were roughly equal. Further imagine that roster composition suggested you could only play one, while redshirting the other.

Who would benefit more from that redshirt, a still-physically-developing freshman who reclassified and moved up a year or a physically mature junior?

Baker is sitting out this season because there's no guarantee he would see significant PT but also because he should benefit from a redshirt year more than anyone else on the team, especially in the weight room.

DavidBenAkiva
01-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Rivals updated their Top 150 for the Class of 2020 (https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals150/2020). Some notable rankings (and movement from the last listing):

3. (+2) Jalen Johnson, 6'8" SF, Glendale, WI
5. (-1) R.J. Hampton, 6'5" PG, Little Elm, TX
7. (+1) Brandon "B.J." Boston, 6'6" SG, Norcross, GA
16. (+8) Sharife Cooper, 5'11" PG, Powder Springs, GA
19. (-10) Walker Kessler, 7'0" C, College Park, GA
21 (-5) Jeremy Roach, 6'0" PG, Fairfax, VA
42. (+1) Henry Coleman, 6'7" PF, Richmond, VA
53. (no change) Marcus Bagley, 6'7" SF, Sacramento, CA

Coleman recently paid a visit to Duke, although I do not believe he has received a scholarship offer yet. Neither has Marcus Bagley, but I thought some of you might be interested in seeing where he stacks up here.

frb
02-01-2019, 03:02 PM
how likely is an offer to marcus bagley? he's probably not a "tier 1" recruit but it's good to take care of family.

DavidBenAkiva
02-01-2019, 05:31 PM
how likely is an offer to marcus bagley? he's probably not a "tier 1" recruit but it's good to take care of family.

A lot could and probably will change by 2020-21. That being said, there is a scenario where Bagley could be a contributor in due time.

O'Connell will be a senior, Joey Baker a redshirt-sophomore and the possibility of any or all of Wendell Moore, Jalen Johnson, Brandon Boston, and maybe another wing/forward like Henry Coleman could be on the roster that year. After that year, O'Connell graduates and any or all of Moore (if he even stays for a sophomore year), Johnson, and Boston would be "at risk" of going pro. That would leave a big hole for a sophomore Bagley to fill, along with a redshirt-junior Joey Baker as well as any Class of 2021 wings/forward being targeted.

So your guess is as good as mine.

DavidBenAkiva
02-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Walker Kessler was on an official visit to Duke today and took in the St. John's game (picture courtesy of Adam Zagoria via twitter)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DybC4GnWwAUzerz.jpg:large

jv001
02-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your contributions to the recruiting threads. I love to read about possible Duke stars of the future. Sure beats some of the arguing and look at me posts. GoDuke!

DavidBenAkiva
02-04-2019, 03:06 PM
He really looks like Grayson's big little brother

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dyg3yxhXQAExnwn.jpg:large

SavDukeGrad
02-04-2019, 03:52 PM
I really didn’t see it..... until that picture!

kAzE
02-04-2019, 06:32 PM
okay . . the resemblance is pretty incredible.

UrinalCake
02-04-2019, 09:53 PM
“Walker”? Sounds like a UNC kid.

CrazyNotCrazie
02-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Kessler, Grayson and Ted Cruz would be quite the formidable squad for the Big3 league, if that is still around.

mattman91
02-04-2019, 10:05 PM
Kessler, Grayson and Ted Cruz would be quite the formidable squad for the Big3 league, if that is still around.

Wonder what Kessler and Allen would look like with a beard.:confused:

devildeac
02-04-2019, 10:13 PM

Alana or Joey?

HereBeforeCoachK
02-05-2019, 07:26 AM

Grayson and Ted both have their haters.....and even the haters had to admit it worked for Cruz (which surprised me actually). Maybe Grayson should give it a try....

JasonEvans
02-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Grayson and Ted both have their haters....and even the haters had to admit it worked for Cruz (which surprised me actually). Maybe Grayson should give it a try...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 10:16 AM

Of course I can't spork that. But it rocks.

mattman91
02-05-2019, 10:18 AM

I imagine this is what Grayson would look like if he were from Asheville.

golfinesquire
02-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Can someone explain to me what a spork is?

DavidBenAkiva
02-05-2019, 10:21 AM

There's a like/dislike button under every post. Some posters are barred from liking posts after giving out so many to a single poster. So we write "spork" to someone in the thread if/when we want to call them out for another good post.

At least, that's what I assume this is all about. Perhaps I have stumbled upon a secret cabal of Taco Bell aficionados.

CDu
02-05-2019, 10:29 AM

A spork is a half-spoon-half-fork. See the little pitchforks under some posters' name in posts? They don't really look like sporks, but it's become a nice shorthand for pitchforks.

As DBA noted, they are accumulated when enough other posters like a person's posts using the like/dislike buttons (enough dislikes and you get a flame instead of a spork).

golfinesquire
02-05-2019, 10:48 AM
A spork is a half-spoon-half-fork. See the little pitchforks under some posters' name in posts? They don't really look like sporks, but it's become a nice shorthand for pitchforks.

As DBA noted, they are accumulated when enough other posters like a person's posts using the like/dislike buttons (enough dislikes and you get a flame instead of a spork).

thanks, all for the info.

English
02-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Top-10 recruit, combo guard RJ Hampton to announce his final 5 on Thursday, per numerous sources. Duke is very involved in his recruitment.

Crystal Ball, if that's what you're into, has him projected (62% of predictions) to Duke.

DavidBenAkiva
02-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Top-10 recruit, combo guard RJ Hampton to announce his final 5 on Thursday, per numerous sources. Duke is very involved in his recruitment.

Crystal Ball, if that's what you're into, has him projected (62% of predictions) to Duke.

Seems like the expectation is that he will be down to Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, and Texas with Arizona as a dark horse. By trimming his list down now, it seems like he is keeping his options to reclassify open.

BandAlum83
02-05-2019, 11:49 AM

No. Just no. Doesn't deserve sporks. No way.

Maybe if he sported a different look. Not the hipster beard. Maybe the 2-3 day growth sort could work, but this?

Just no.

BandAlum83
02-05-2019, 11:52 AM

To give one out, click here:

JasonEvans
02-05-2019, 12:42 PM

Maybe if he sported a different look. Not the hipster beard. Maybe the 2-3 day growth sort could work, but this?

Just no.

What about old man Grayson?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 12:59 PM

Of course I can't spork you either. In Asheville, his eyes would be just a touch bloodshot too. Must be that dry mountain air.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-05-2019, 01:01 PM
thanks, all for the info.

It is a quick and easy way to determine which posters are worth listening to.

/sarcasm, sorta

HereBeforeCoachK
02-05-2019, 01:05 PM

Just no.

Well, my suggestion on the theory of the Ted Cruz doppleganger syndrome would only work with a similar beard (if at all) ...
BTW, what is this thread about?

Reddevil
02-05-2019, 01:07 PM
What about old man Grayson?

Uncle Grayson?

devildeac
02-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Gray-beard?

:rolleyes:

DavidBenAkiva
02-07-2019, 09:34 AM
Busy day yesterday for the coaching staff. I saw some reports that Duke paid visits to numerous 2020 5-star recruits, including Brandon Boston and Walker Kessler. Both are from the Atlanta area.

I'm not sure which assistant it was, but one of the staff was in St. Louis, Missouri to check out another pair of talented players, 6'6" SF Cam'Ron Fletcher and 6'3" PG Caleb Love. The latter is considered one of the top 5 or so point guard recruits in the nation while the latter is in the top 10 among small forward prospects. Any chance St. Louis native Jayson Tatum could put in a good word for the Blue Devils? The latter bit of news from Jake Weingarten, a precious high schooler that is active developing a national reputation as a recruiting expert. He does a great job of getting the word out about which coaching staffs are visiting which recruits and when official visits are happening. He does not seem to have an inside ear as to which way the recruits are leaning, but I like his moxie.

gam7
02-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Busy day yesterday for the coaching staff. I saw some reports that Duke paid visits to numerous 2020 5-star recruits, including Brandon Boston and Walker Kessler. Both are from the Atlanta area.

I'm not sure which assistant it was, but one of the staff was in St. Louis, Missouri to check out another pair of talented players, 6'6" SF Cam'Ron Fletcher and 6'3" PG Caleb Love. The latter is considered one of the top 5 or so point guard recruits in the nation while the latter is in the top 10 among small forward prospects. Any chance St. Louis native Jayson Tatum could put in a good word for the Blue Devils? The latter bit of news from Jake Weingarten, a precious high schooler that is active developing a national reputation as a recruiting expert. He does a great job of getting the word out about which coaching staffs are visiting which recruits and when official visits are happening. He does not seem to have an inside ear as to which way the recruits are leaning, but I like his moxie.

Carrawell is from St. Louis, and it sounds like the level of prospect that a relatively new Duke assistant coach might be responsible for. So I'd bet he was the assistant who went there.

Also, sounds like Weingarten is a 5* but is he elite? Best recruiting reporter prospect since, dare I say, the legendary Dave Telep?

DavidBenAkiva
02-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Carrawell is from St. Louis, and it sounds like the level of prospect that a relatively new Duke assistant coach might be responsible for. So I'd bet he was the assistant who went there.

Also, sounds like Weingarten is a 5* but is he elite? Best recruiting reporter prospect since, dare I say, the legendary Dave Telep?

It was Carawell. Weingarten posted an article on his site with that info. Yeah, and I think Weingarten is 5-star recruiting prospect, lol.

DavidBenAkiva
02-07-2019, 02:37 PM
As expected, Duke is in the final five schools for R.J. Hampton (https://twitter.com/RjHampton14/status/1093592890759098374). The talented guard is focusing on Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, and - a bit of a surprise - TCU

Looks an awful lot like fellow Texan Rasheed Sulaimon in that #14 Duke uniform, don't you think?

Troublemaker
02-07-2019, 02:41 PM
As expected, Duke is in the final five schools for R.J. Hampton (https://twitter.com/RjHampton14/status/1093592890759098374). The talented guard is focusing on Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Memphis, and - a bit of a surprise - TCU

Looks an awful lot like fellow Texan Rasheed Sulaimon in that #14 Duke uniform, don't you think?

Very minor surprise. Obviously his family and friends could come watch every game of his at TCU if they wanted to. Probably an hour drive from Little Elm to Fort Worth. It's the home option.

Glad to see we made the top 5!

CDu
02-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Very minor surprise. Obviously his family and friends could come watch every game of his at TCU if they wanted to. Probably an hour drive from Little Elm to Fort Worth. It's the home option.

Glad to see we made the top 5!

Also, TCU has a pretty good coach now too (Jamie Dixon). Not that I think Hampton will choose them. But it's probably time to start thinking of TCU a little bit differently than the past.

DavidBenAkiva
02-07-2019, 02:52 PM
Also, TCU has a pretty good coach now too (Jamie Dixon). Not that I think Hampton will choose them. But it's probably time to start thinking of TCU a little bit differently than the past.

Perhaps I should not have been surprised by TCU. I was expecting to see Texas there instead. The Frogs lost Jaylen Fisher to injury and then a transfer. They certainly have a need at PG.

budwom
02-07-2019, 02:56 PM
Perhaps I should not have been surprised by TCU. I was expecting to see Texas there instead. The Frogs lost Jaylen Fisher to injury and then a transfer. They certainly have a need at PG.

Gotta say the Smart guy has been a bit disappointing at Texas given the support he has there.

mattman91
02-07-2019, 02:58 PM
Gotta say the Smart guy has been a bit disappointing at Texas given the support he has there.

Hmmm "system" coach?

frb
02-11-2019, 07:38 PM

what hurts even more to UT fans is the success Rick barnes is having at the other UT. Smart is 15-28 in the B12 dating back to the 16/17 season and it's not like he inherited a total mess from Barnes. 16 NCAA appearances in 17 years. won 69% of his games overall.. 66% in the b12.

the most concerning part about Smart is he is recruiting pretty well.. he's got talent.. and still can't win. some guys hit their ceiling at the mid major level. Texas doesn't pay $3.2 million a year to be a perennial bubble team.

DavidBenAkiva
02-13-2019, 12:17 PM
Talented forward Scottie Barnes (https://twitter.com/ScottBarnes561/status/1095729241176592386), high school and AAU teammate of incoming Duke freshman Vernon Carey, Jr., released a Top 8 via twitter this morning.

Cal, Duke, Florida State, Kansas, Kentucky, Miami, Ohio State, and Oregon make the final cut.

A lot of people are pretty high on Barnes, a top 10 player in the mold of Scottie Pippen, a point-forward if you will. With Duke losing basically its entire frontcourt after 2019-20, there would be plenty of opportunity for Barnes as well as Jalen Johnson and other top priorities for Duke. Let's hope Duke gets an official visit lined up soon.

Pghdukie
02-15-2019, 10:42 PM
A name to keep an eye on is Jalen Suggs. He's a 6'5" compo guard from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

camion
02-15-2019, 11:12 PM
To give one out, click here:

I don’t see that icon on most posts, only on the last page or so.

BandAlum83
02-16-2019, 02:52 AM
I don’t see that icon on most posts, only on the last page or so.

There is a built in time limit on how long a spork may be given on any particular post. I don't know what that limit is.

devildeac
02-16-2019, 09:51 AM
There is a built in time limit on how long a spork may be given on any particular post. I don't know what that limit is.

I found a couple (well, perhaps a lot of:o) posts on Ymm, Beer (where else do you think I'm going to look?:rolleyes::o) on 2/7/19. The one timed at 325 PM was not sporkable but the one timed at 505 PM was still available for sporking.

BandAlum83
02-16-2019, 11:24 AM
I found a couple (well, perhaps a lot of:o) posts on Ymm, Beer (where else do you think I'm going to look?:rolleyes::o) on 2/7/19. The one timed at 325 PM was not sporkable but the one timed at 505 PM was still available for sporking.

so 6 days and 18 hours?

That's a bit random.

devildeac
02-16-2019, 01:27 PM
so 6 days and 18 hours?

That's a bit random.

I'm getting 8 days and a buncha hours by my math. :confused:

DavidBenAkiva
02-20-2019, 06:04 PM
One of the top 2020 PG's, Jeremy Roach, will be in attendance at the UNC-Duke game tonight, per Evan Daniels and others.

Roach tore his ACL in November and is rehabbing. UNC is also on his short list of schools, along with Kentucky and Villanova.

superdave
02-20-2019, 07:47 PM
One of the top 2020 PG's, Jeremy Roach, will be in attendance at the UNC-Duke game tonight, per Evan Daniels and others.

Roach tore his ACL in November and is rehabbing. UNC is also on his short list of schools, along with Kentucky and Villanova.

Looks like Roach has offers from Duke, Unc, Kentucky, Nova and Maryland.

BD80
02-21-2019, 07:52 AM

Bet he had some interesting nicknames growing up.

Rich
02-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Bet he had some interesting nicknames growing up.

He's destined for the CLIPpers.

Ky-Dukie
03-13-2019, 12:10 PM
https://247sports.com/Article/College-basketball-recruiting-mailbag-129991076/

Looks like we'll have to wait and see what R J does, which may be determined what Tre does.

proelitedota
04-11-2019, 01:28 PM
We're losing all our centers and power forwards after next season. It worries me that we're only recruiting Kessler. We need to land at least two preferably three post guys.

Ideally 1 5* center. 1 4* project center. 1 4* PF in the veins of Lance, Amile and Javin.

DavidBenAkiva
04-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Andrew Slater and others are reporting that Duke's staff, including Coach K are down in Georgia today to check out two of the primary targets for the Class of 2020: Brandon Boston and Walker Kessler. Kessler is deciding where to take his 5th official visit (he has already been to Duke) and looking at how different schools have utilized big men. His father appears to put a priority on academics.

This might be a good time to mention that Duke has had 2 Power Forwards named 1st Team All-American the past two seasons and has had a center drafted in the lottery in 2 of the past 4 NBA drafts.

DavidBenAkiva
04-11-2019, 05:20 PM
We're losing all our centers and power forwards after next season. It worries me that we're only recruiting Kessler. We need to land at least two preferably three post guys.

Ideally 1 5* center. 1 4* project center. 1 4* PF in the veins of Lance, Amile and Javin.

Lance and Amile were 5* prospects coming out of high school and both were McDonald's All-Americans.

It looks like the coaching staff is prioritizing Jalen Johnson and Walker Kessler for the frontcourt. I would not be surprised to see a transfer or even two over this summer to bolster the Duke frontcourt.

JasonEvans
04-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Andrew Slater and others are reporting that Duke's staff, including Coach K are down in Georgia today to check out two of the primary targets for the Class of 2020: Brandon Boston and Walker Kessler. Kessler is deciding where to take his 5th official visit (he has already been to Duke) and looking at how different schools have utilized big men. His father appears to put a priority on academics.

I wonder if Kessler will wait a bit to see how Tom Crean does with his stud recruits this year at Georgia. We all know about Crean bringing in Anthony Edwards, but he also has three other guys who are top 100 recruits. If Georgia is suddenly a legit tournament contender and a team getting some attention, it becomes a much more attractive destination for Kessler (and perhaps other local talent). Edwards will be turning pro after one year, but if the other recruits look good, but not good enough to go pro, then it could mean that Georgia has a nice foundation for Kessler to join.

I've said for a while that the failure of Georgia and GaTech to land local recruits is a crime. Metro Atlanta is easily among the 5 best spots to find top tier basketball talent these days, but all the best kids have been going to Duke, Auburn, FSU, Fla, and other schools in recent years. We are talking about 3-6 top 50 recruits per year and none of them have been staying in state. If Tom Crean can break that trend, Georgia can be a consistent top 20 team and SEC contender.

It is worth noting that of the 4 strong recruits Georgia is bringing in this season, only Edwards is from the state of Georgia. The other three are from Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina.

-Jason "if Georgia rises up this season, Josh Pastner may get fired... Crean doing what Pastner has been unable to do would be really bad for Josh" Evans

DavidBenAkiva
04-12-2019, 10:32 AM
I wonder if Kessler will wait a bit to see how Tom Crean does with his stud recruits this year at Georgia. We all know about Crean bringing in Anthony Edwards, but he also has three other guys who are top 100 recruits. If Georgia is suddenly a legit tournament contender and a team getting some attention, it becomes a much more attractive destination for Kessler (and perhaps other local talent). Edwards will be turning pro after one year, but if the other recruits look good, but not good enough to go pro, then it could mean that Georgia has a nice foundation for Kessler to join.

I've said for a while that the failure of Georgia and GaTech to land local recruits is a crime. Metro Atlanta is easily among the 5 best spots to find top tier basketball talent these days, but all the best kids have been going to Duke, Auburn, FSU, Fla, and other schools in recent years. We are talking about 3-6 top 50 recruits per year and none of them have been staying in state. If Tom Crean can break that trend, Georgia can be a consistent top 20 team and SEC contender.

It is worth noting that of the 4 strong recruits Georgia is bringing in this season, only Edwards is from the state of Georgia. The other three are from Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina.

-Jason "if Georgia rises up this season, Josh Pastner may get fired... Crean doing what Pastner has been unable to do would be really bad for Josh" Evans

Going out of state to land talent would be a very Tom Crean move. It's one of the reasons he was unpopular at Indiana - he never got a pipeline of kids to stay in state and go to Bloomington.

DavidBenAkiva
04-16-2019, 09:43 AM
This post is probably a week too early, but what else am I going to do during the offseason?

There is some clarity around Duke's 2019-20 roster at this point in time with a few uncertain pieces left to iron out. Let's start with the "known knowns," or the things we know will happen before the fall of 2020 rolls around.

Departures, Certain (barring injury): Marques Bolden, Javin DeLaurier, Justin Robinson, and Jack White
Departures, Likely: Vernon Carey, Jr., Matthew Hurt (should he indeed commit this Friday), and Tre Jones

That's a lot of frontcourt talent to lose as well as a potential All-American in Tre Jones. It's not clear that Jones will leave, but we can assume he is more likely to depart for the NBA after the 2019-20 season than to stick around for a junior season.

On the Fence: Wendell Moore, Cassius Stanley (should he indeed commit this Saturday)

It's not clear to me that either is a one-and-done talent at this point in time. If I had to guess, I expect both to stick around for at least 2 years. Wendell Moore appears to be the more skilled of the two. His game is that of an ultimate glue guy where he does everything well without standing out in any one particular area. Is that going to be enough for him to draw the attention he would need to get into the NBA Draft? Stanley is older and has a wow factor with his athleticism. But his skills appear to be further behind. I would like to reserve judgement on both until the season starts. I did go back and forth about Tre Jones, believing he would be a multi-year player at first, then certain he would go to the NBA, and then ultimately concluding in February or so that he would probably return. These things change over time.

Probably Returning: Jordan Goldwire, Alex O'Connell, Joey Baker, Boogie Ellis

If you combine the last two categories, that's a pretty versatile and nice depth chart for the backcourt and wings. There's shooting, size, and length. There is a glaring lack of frontcourt.

Offers:
Scottie Barnes, 6'9" F, West Palm Beach, FL
Brandon "B.J." Boston, 6'6" SG, Atlanta, GA
R.J. Hampton, 6'5" G, Little Elm, TX
Jalen Johnson, 6'8" F, Sun Prairie, WI
Walker Kessler, 7'0" C, Fairburn, GA
Jeremy Roach, 6'2" PG, Fairfax, VA

It appears the Boston, Johnson, and Kessler are the primary recruiting targets at the moment. I expect that Hampton's decision to reclassify to the Class of 2019 will determine whether he remains a priority or if Duke puts more attention on Roach as its primary point guard target. Duke has also hosted Henry Coleman, a 6'7" forward from Richmond, VA. I haven't seen an offer extended yet. He's ranked 46th in the 247Sports Composite and would be an apparent replacement for Jack White or Javin DeLaurier in the frontcourt as a multi-year player.

One final note is that we might see a transfer this summer. Duke is in desperate need of frontcourt depth. It seems that the plan is to have Kessler and Johnson in the frontcourt if they both commit. Both can shoot and Johnson is considered an elite playmaker. Perhaps Joey Baker could play some time at the stretch 4 to spell Johnson or play alongside him as a small forward. In either case, Duke really needs a reserve center that can play in the post or even be a starting center if Walker Kessler decides to go elsewhere. Given the lack of experience anticipated in the frontcourt, I would assume a transfer this summer would be helpful to have some experience down low.

luvdahops
04-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Lance and Amile were 5* prospects coming out of high school and both were McDonald's All-Americans.

It looks like the coaching staff is prioritizing Jalen Johnson and Walker Kessler for the frontcourt. I would not be surprised to see a transfer or even two over this summer to bolster the Duke frontcourt.

Doesn't Kessler have pretty strong family ties to Georgia?

DavidBenAkiva
04-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Doesn't Kessler have pretty strong family ties to Georgia?

Vernon Carey, Jr. had strong family ties to Miami. He's going to play for Duke next season. Kessler is a hot commodity. He's a priority recruit for Virginia, Georgia, UNC, and Duke. Coach K is making it known that Kessler is a high priority for Duke. He visited the Kessler family over the weekend, the first day that he could make an in-home visit during the live recruiting period. Coach K and staff also made a visit to Brandon Boston, Jr.

jimsumner
04-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Boston, Johnson and Kessler are the three recruits Duke feels very good about.

proelitedota
04-16-2019, 02:39 PM
Boston, Johnson and Kessler are the three recruits Duke feels very good about.

Hoping that Brian Antoinette and Josiah James were the outliers! We can't afford to miss Kessler at the very least next season unless we're ok starting Joey Baker at the 5. :eek: