PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo's Forde says Duke's freshmen housing policy is making Duke a "Jock School"

Billy Dat
04-25-2018, 07:50 AM
https://sports.yahoo.com/duke-shows-athletes-exception-rules-housing-snafu-191051138.html

pfrduke
04-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Or, in other words, Duke continues to do what it always did with regard to athletes and Pat Forde decides to use it to take potshots.

SenatorClayDavis
04-25-2018, 08:03 AM
This is what happens when a 12-month employee is only needed 8 months of the year

tteettimes
04-25-2018, 08:16 AM
That sure is a short list!!!.....are we the only ones???

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Remind me again why this story is supposed to outrage me? Other than the headline, the article seems pretty fair.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Remind me again why this story is supposed to outrage me? Other than the headline, the article seems pretty fair.

I agree. Athletes do get preferential treatment. That is fact.

Forde just uses Duke as the prime example. It’s a weak example (KU or UK would be more appropriate), but it gets his point across.

UrinalCake
04-25-2018, 08:35 AM
Kansas built a $12 million palace for their basketball players to live in. Kentucky has something similar. Why doesn’t Forde write about them? Duke is one of the few major programs whose players still live in dorms with “regular” students. Ridiculous but not surprising that Yahoo would find a way to still take shots at us.

Of course, our players could instead go to UNC where they could live rent-free in Roy’s house while selling drugs.

sagegrouse
04-25-2018, 08:42 AM

Forde just uses Duke as the prime example. It’s a weak example (KU or UK would be more appropriate), but it gets his point across.

The argument in favor of athletes living with another in the same sport is that the schedules are so intense, creating a special situation that would not be fair to the athlete, or maybe even to the non-athlete assigned to live with one.

Not impressed with Forde's arguments that "differing roommate assignment" practices make Duke a "Jock School."

Troublemaker
04-25-2018, 09:12 AM

No outrage here (why ever get outraged?) but I am amused that Forde would focus on this one little thing when the entire existence of a student-athlete is an "exception." It may surprise Forde to know that athletes get scholarships for playing a kids' game unlike the general student body, that athletes often get into school with lower test scores than the general student body, and that when a competition is coming up, athletes often get extensions to write papers (or other schoolwork) that wouldn't be available to the general student body. This article just seems like a big nothing-burger to me.

Also, it's unclear what Forde's measurement for "difference" is. For any sport that recruits nationally or even globally (e.g. Jack White), you're going to end up with players from different backgrounds. I think it's silly to think that a kid from Minnesota and a kid from Pennsylvania (likely roommates Cam and Tre) might not be able to learn a thing or two from each other. Or what about a kid from Canada and a kid from South Carolina (likely roommates RJ and Zion)? Duke also recruits from various socioeconomic backgrounds, which might be the most important difference there is. Forde gives the example of his Catholic daughter and her Muslim roommate, but if for example they both happen to be from upper middle class backgrounds and went to "good" high schools, it's possible that they have very similar worldviews entering Stanford. It's just that one of them maybe wears a hijab when going to Starbucks when the other doesn't.

UrinalCake
04-25-2018, 09:27 AM
I remember my sophomore year, I got a job with OIT at the beginning of the year going around and helping freshmen set up their computers. Just getting onto the Internet was complicated back in the day. Anyways, one night Will Avery came strolling by, it was like 8:30 and he was going to sleep because he had to be up crazy early the next morning for practice. Having the basketball players live in dorms with the regular students (and go to class with them) is something K has always emphasized, I’ve heard recruits say that he’s mentioned it during recruiting visits as part of the Duke experience.

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Actually, even the headline seems fair to me. "Duke shows athletes are exception to its rules with housing snafu"

NARP is my new favorite acronym of the week. Carolina should have used that in their cheater arguments. "Our fake classes are open to NARPs, too."

pfrduke
04-25-2018, 10:10 AM
People, the offseason is no excuse to devolve into incivility. Keep it above board and refrain from personal insults. Posts have been deleted and infractions issued.

Wander
04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
I don't think the article is meant to provoke outrage or present itself as uncovering some scandal. And I think some of you guys didn't read it fully – he addresses exactly why he chose Duke instead of Kansas or Kentucky.

Li_Duke
04-25-2018, 10:20 AM
My brother (non-athlete) at Yale had a football player as a roommate. His best friend down the hall roomed with a hockey player. I agree with Chad Ford here, if you're instituting a rule for all freshman with the goal of having greater exposure to ideas/cultures that are not your own, then athletes shouldn't be exempt. RJ Barrett is going to be spending plenty of time with Cam Reddish anyway, let him have a chance at further time spent being a student with the general student body.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-25-2018, 10:22 AM
I don't think the article is meant to provoke outrage or present itself as uncovering some scandal. And I think some of you guys didn't read it fully – he addresses exactly why he chose Duke instead of Kansas or Kentucky.

Right. He points out that outside of a handful of schools, this is commonplace. And he sees this as taking Duke from Stanford/ND to, well, commonplace.

*shrugs*

All schools make compromises. An athletic scholarship is inherently a compromise. Compromise isn't all bad. It just depends on where you agree to draw that line.

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2018, 10:24 AM
I agree with Chad Ford here

What about Pat Forde, the guy who wrote the article? :rolleyes:

pfrduke
04-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Right. He points out that outside of a handful of schools, this is commonplace. And he sees this as taking Duke from Stanford/ND to, well, commonplace.

*shrugs*

All schools make compromises. An athletic scholarship is inherently a compromise. Compromise isn't all bad. It just depends on where you agree to draw that line.

But Duke did this already! It changed a general policy because it didn't like the amount of pre-selection that non-athletes were doing, and all of a sudden this is being painted as extending new preferential treatment to athletes. Basketball freshmen always roomed together; I think that's true of other athletes too.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-25-2018, 10:36 AM
But Duke did this already! It changed a general policy because it didn't like the amount of pre-selection that non-athletes were doing, and all of a sudden this is being painted as extending new preferential treatment to athletes. Basketball freshmen always roomed together; I think that's true of other athletes too.

I suspect that basketball players room together in about 98% of situations in all colleges. It makes sense for dozens of reasons.

nmduke2001
04-25-2018, 10:45 AM
It seems to me that Pat Forde wrote a long article in order to mention that his daughter is a Stanford swimmer and decided to use Duke to get more clicks.

Duke95
04-25-2018, 10:49 AM
I suspect that basketball players room together in about 98% of situations in all colleges. It makes sense for dozens of reasons.

I agree with this. It makes perfect sense, but the NCAA turns around and effectively says "oh, look, one of the benefits of amateurism is that college athletes are integrated in the life of the campus." Which isn't true.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2018, 10:55 AM
The argument in favor of athletes living with another in the same sport is that the schedules are so intense, creating a special situation that would not be fair to the athlete, or maybe even to the non-athlete assigned to live with one.

Not impressed with Forde's arguments that "differing roommate assignment" practices make Duke a "Jock School."

Schedules are intense. No doubt about it. And how about the select few biology students who need to wake up at 4am everyday to get to Science Drive to check on his/her experiments? Or the History buff who is working with a Professor/team on some fascinating research and only has access to the rare reading rooms certain hours a day?

If you're doing to make exceptions for athletes, do it for non-athletes as well. And according to the Forde article - which I'm sure is true or not - "In late February, the school informed the incoming freshman class of 2018-19 that it is mandating random room assignments — no more requesting and prearranging roommates. First-year collegians will simply get who they get to live with, not necessarily who they want". To me, that completely says, "we're favoring athletes for housing over non-athletes". Nothing new, but interesting nonetheless.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2018, 10:58 AM

While it makes perfect sense, the idiocy comes from Duke CHANGING their policy but continuing to make exceptions for athletes.

I have no issue with Duke having double standards for athletes and non-athletes. Just don't change your policy to reference all students and then make exceptions for athletes. Duke did this to themselves.

scottdude8
04-25-2018, 11:19 AM
My comment on this article is in the OAD thread because of the weird merger of threads. A couple people commented on why I felt so strongly about the article. To clarify, it was less about the fact that Forde called out Duke, and more about the quality of the journalism. (I wrote that post on my iPhone, so I definitely wasn't as articulate as I would like to think I normally am, haha.)

To me, the article had all the negative qualities of a clickbait article: Forde found an example of an admittedly not perfect practice in which Duke favors student-athletes over the typical student, but one that is extremely minimal in the grand scheme of things; he then blew that out of proportion and made some very strained comparisons to other, more onerous examples of student-athlete hypocrisy amongst D1 schools; finally, he used that to create a "Duke-bashing" headline that he knew would draw clicks. The actual journalism in the article is extremely minimal, and even if you view this as an "opinion" piece the conclusions that Forde draws are so out of proportion with the actual transgression that they are almost comical.

So the reason I got so worked up was more that this article is an example of the general horrific state of sports journalism. I don't think I could've gotten an article about this past my editors at the Chronicle back in my day, so it blows my mind how Yahoo would agree to publish it. Instead of spending time/resources focusing on more pressing issues that merit investigative journalism (i.e. UNC, MSU, Louisville, etc.), that time was instead spent on a click-bait piece. Ugh.

devildeac
04-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Kansas built a $12 million palace for their basketball players to live in. Kentucky has something similar. Why doesn’t Forde write about them? Duke is one of the few major programs whose players still live in dorms with “regular” students. Ridiculous but not surprising that Yahoo would find a way to still take shots at us.

Of course, our players could instead go to UNC where they could live rent-free in Roy’s house while selling drugs and not going to class and/or having tutors write papers and/or secretaries "grade" such papers.

Added clarification. ;)

pfrduke
04-25-2018, 11:26 AM
While it makes perfect sense, the idiocy comes from Duke CHANGING their policy but continuing to make exceptions for athletes.

I have no issue with Duke having double standards for athletes and non-athletes. Just don't change your policy to reference all students and then make exceptions for athletes. Duke did this to themselves.

How, then, do you fix the problem* (non-athlete pre-selection of roommates) while continuing to preserve something that hadn't been a problem (athletes rooming together)?

*I use problem here loosely, to refer to the thing the university stated it wanted to fix. I take no position on whether or not such a practice is a problem in the abstract.

flyingdutchdevil
04-25-2018, 11:40 AM
How, then, do you fix the problem* (non-athlete pre-selection of roommates) while continuing to preserve something that hadn't been a problem (athletes rooming together)?

*I use problem here loosely, to refer to the thing the university stated it wanted to fix. I take no position on whether or not such a practice is a problem in the abstract.

IMO, you don't change it or you change it and put all athletes together. You don't change it AND make exceptions for athletes.

I actually think the prior process was fine. I'll give you a real example. When I got the roommate survey 15 years ago, I didn't put down any requests for roommates. I wish I had. Why? Because, as an international student, I got paired with another international student! Part of the reason I came to the US was because I wanted to embrace and learn about American culture. I wish I wrote, "American roommate. USA! USA! USA!" on my roommate request form.

I do think Forde made a great point about how universities are now catering more to athletes than ever. To me, this does need to change.

Li_Duke
04-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Yes, I agree with him too. :) Sorry, reading articles quickly while at work means not being particularly careful or observant.

BigWayne
04-25-2018, 12:04 PM

I maintain that this part is the second act of idiocy. The first one is the mandating of random assignments. There is really nothing wrong with people being able to choose their roommates. Like most bureaucratic decisions based on some theoretical desired outcome, it's going to backfire all over the place. I doubt the students will like it and, in fact, some students may decline admission once they find this out. Once they implement it, the university is exposing itself to all sorts of complaints and actions because all sorts of exceptions are going to end up having to be accommodated to satisfy all of the different factions at the university. They are really going to wish they never thought of this.

sagegrouse
04-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Schedules are intense. No doubt about it. And how about the select few biology students who need to wake up at 4am everyday to get to Science Drive to check on his/her experiments? Or the History buff who is working with a Professor/team on some fascinating research and only has access to the rare reading rooms certain hours a day?

If you're doing to make exceptions for athletes, do it for non-athletes as well. And according to the Forde article - which I'm sure is true or not - "In late February, the school informed the incoming freshman class of 2018-19 that it is mandating random room assignments — no more requesting and prearranging roommates. First-year collegians will simply get who they get to live with, not necessarily who they want". To me, that completely says, "we're favoring athletes for housing over non-athletes". Nothing new, but interesting nonetheless.

Yep. It would have been better to have everyone living under the same tent, but variations in "room-mate assignment policy" doesn't scream CORRUPTION or JOCK SCHOOL to me. It's a detail hardly worth mentioning. I seem to remember (and, occasionally, I recall correctly) when most but not all of the freshmen were on East Campus in the early '90s but all the male football and basketball players were on West. That's a ten-times bigger deal and got no comment at the time.

sagegrouse
04-25-2018, 12:07 PM
I maintain that this part is the second act of idiocy. The first one is the mandating of random assignments. There is really nothing wrong with people being able to choose their roommates. Like most bureaucratic decisions based on some theoretical desired outcome, it's going to backfire all over the place. I doubt the students will like it and, in fact, some students may decline admission once they find this out. Once they implement it, the university is exposing itself to all sorts of complaints and actions because all sorts of exceptions are going to end up having to be accommodated to satisfy all of the different factions at the university. They are really going to wish they never thought of this.

Having no inside knowledge, but let me speculate -- all the prep school kids were rooming with each other.

Of course, what happened 50+ years ago was much more reprehensible. Duke assigned roommates on the basis of religion. "Eruditio et Religio," or whatever.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-25-2018, 12:19 PM

When I enrolled at Duke in the early 90s, I think 90+% of us had random assignments. We filled out a form (on paper - it was still the dark ages!) stating some of our preferences and they tried to avoid matching up night owls with early risers, smokers with non-smokers, etc. I don't know how much science was put into the actual pairings - Duke was a lot more homogeneous back then so the odds were pretty good that there would be lots of pairings of similar students. My roommate and I became fairly good friends - we were from similar socioeconomic backgrounds and had the same planned major but we also had some very major differences in our backgrounds. Most people got along or made do. A few pairings had to be separated. I personally thought random pairings were a really good idea, though if mine had not worked out, I might have felt differently.

At the time, basketball and football players and I believe swimmers were matched with teammates. They were all put in the "new" dorms just off west campus so that they could be as close as possible to practice (swimmers practice very early in the morning). But they were mixed in among the general student population. I don't think their rooms were any different from anyone else's. Last I heard, now that all freshmen are on East, I think basketball players continue to room with basketball players but are still mixed in with the general freshman student population.

So the new plan is largely a reversion to how things used to be. And yes, some level of preference is given to basketball players, but it is not like they are living in a cocoon of only scholarship athletes in luxury facilities. I think Forde is really grasping for a story here.

Wander
04-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Yep. It would have been better to have everyone living under the same tent, but variations in "room-mate assignment policy" doesn't scream CORRUPTION or JOCK SCHOOL to me. It's a detail hardly worth mentioning. I seem to remember (and, occasionally, I recall correctly) when most but not all of the freshmen were on East Campus in the early '90s but all the male football and basketball players were on West. That's a ten-times bigger deal and got no comment at the time.

I think the article is just meant to provide one detail as an example of how athletes and NARPs are treated vastly differently in campus life, usually with scholarship athletes being treated far better. That's a fine topic to write about and one that is not often discussed by the Jay Bilases (Bilasi?) of the world. It's not about how that one detail is particularly important or horrible or corrupt. At least that was my reading of it.

ChillinDuke
04-25-2018, 12:27 PM
Yeah, not sure I see what the big deal is here.

While it's easy for me to envision scenarios where athletes rooming truly "randomly" amongst the general study body are enriched by the experience (as well as the student body being enriched), it's much easier for me to envision the opposite: situations where athletes are thrust into unworkable situations (e.g. late night partiers, hardcore studiers with wonky schedules, etc).

I'm totally fine with athletes rooming together, so long as their rooms are amongst the general student rooms (i.e. no special athlete dorms).

- Chillin

sagegrouse
04-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Yeah, not sure I see what the big deal is here.

While it's easy for me to envision scenarios where athletes rooming truly "randomly" amongst the general study body are enriched by the experience (as well as the student body being enriched), it's much easier for me to envision the opposite: situations where athletes are thrust into unworkable situations (e.g. late night partiers, hardcore studiers with wonky schedules, etc).

I'm totally fine with athletes rooming together, so long as their rooms are amongst the general student rooms (i.e. no special athlete dorms).

- Chillin

Can't our guys get extra-long beds?

Billy Dat
04-25-2018, 12:50 PM
To me, the article had all the negative qualities of a clickbait article: Forde found an example of an admittedly not perfect practice in which Duke favors student-athletes over the typical student, but one that is extremely minimal in the grand scheme of things; he then blew that out of proportion and made some very strained comparisons to other, more onerous examples of student-athlete hypocrisy amongst D1 schools; finally, he used that to create a "Duke-bashing" headline that he knew would draw clicks. The actual journalism in the article is extremely minimal, and even if you view this as an "opinion" piece the conclusions that Forde draws are so out of proportion with the actual transgression that they are almost comical.

I happen to generally like Pat Forde as I think he has some stones and speaks truth to power, playing the role of the 4th estate. However, I agree with scottdude8's take on Forde here. Duke is good business for online journalists. Splash a picture of Coach K or the uniform and readers will follow. Forde's kids are high level swimmers, Stanford may be the best swim team in America, so he's got a grounding in this stuff, but I also feel like he has an editorial mandate to write about Duke whenever possible and this was what he could manage today. He does like to take shots at Duke, I think he's one of those many writers who feel like he has to take K down a few pegs whenever possible to balance out perception that K was so lauded in the press (Dick Vitale) for so many years that the public has a saintly view of him that doesn't line up with his many list of transgressions (the Chronicle staff diatribe, the Dillon Brooks lecture, Hansborough shouldn't have been in the game when Gerald punched him, and on).

Bluedog
04-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Having no inside knowledge, but let me speculate -- all the prep school kids were rooming with each other.

Of course, what happened 50+ years ago was much more reprehensible. Duke assigned roommates on the basis of religion. "Eruditio et Religio," or whatever.

Actually, that's the concern of the current admin. That people are choosing to room with only people "like" them and aren't getting exposed to different perspectives. With Facebook and all other social networks these days, it's really easy for people to find roommates ahead of time, so it's not like it used to be where selecting a roommate ahead of time was quite rare. It's commonplace now and people often choose based on race/background.

Check out the "terrifying" quote from Mr. Briggs as an example (he is against the new policy):
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/03/02/duke-university-blocks-students-picking-their-roommates-freshman-year

I didn't read the article as don't want to give Forde more clicks, but I agree that the policy doesn't really make Duke a "jock school" - it simply illustrates that athletes are given special permissions and the same rules don't apply to them as everybody else in certain circumstances. Obviously, reasonable minds can differ if it is warranted or not, but certainly there is no multi-million dollar dorm dedicated to the basketball players like there is at Kansas and UK.

brevity
04-25-2018, 02:20 PM
I agree with Chad Ford here...

Yes, I agree with him too. :) Sorry, reading articles quickly while at work means not being particularly careful or observant.

I just figured Li_Duke would go back to the first post, change Chad Ford's name, and hope that no one was paying attention (https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/1/25/7886991/chad-ford-nba-draft-espn-rankings-change).

CameronBornAndBred
04-25-2018, 02:56 PM
I just figured Li_Duke would go back to the first post, change Chad Ford's name, and hope that no one was paying attention (https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/1/25/7886991/chad-ford-nba-draft-espn-rankings-change).

Ha! To be fair, I sporked Li_Duke since it was obvious that while he got the name confused, he did read the article. ;)

johnb
04-25-2018, 03:41 PM
From Forde:
"NARP's often are more accomplished than the jocks, and many will make more money in their lifetimes."

Each year, our "least accomplished" basketball recruit tends to be among the 50 best seniors in the country at his chosen extracurricular activity, and we typically have 1 or more who are among the 10 best. Even in the rarified air of AB Duke Scholars, it'd be unusual to find the country's 2nd best high school mathematician or the top journalist or the 11th best violinist.

I also don't know about the switch to a financial argument. My hunch is that the most academically elite Duke students may make less money than the average Duke student.

Richard Berg
04-25-2018, 04:28 PM
From Forde:
"NARP's often are more accomplished than the jocks, and many will make more money in their lifetimes."

Each year, our "least accomplished" basketball recruit tends to be among the 50 best seniors in the country at his chosen extracurricular activity, and we typically have 1 or more who are among the 10 best. Even in the rarified air of AB Duke Scholars, it'd be unusual to find the country's 2nd best high school mathematician or the top journalist or the 11th best violinist.

I also don't know about the switch to a financial argument. My hunch is that the most academically elite Duke students may make less money than the average Duke student.
Duke punches above its weight in math undergrads, believe it or not. Not so much in music or journalism.

Interesting you brought up the OUSF kids, because (at least when I was there in the early 00s) they all got housed together in Southgate, barring 1 or 2 who were enrolled in a dorm-specific program. Not as roommates, but still, it was kind of a weird clustering of people who were supposed to enliven campuswide academics.

sagegrouse
04-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Duke punches above its weight in math undergrads, believe it or not. Not so much in music or journalism.

Interesting you brought up the OUSF kids, because (at least when I was there in the early 00s) they all got housed together in Southgate, barring 1 or 2 who were enrolled in a dorm-specific program. Not as roommates, but still, it was kind of a weird clustering of people who were supposed to enliven campuswide academics.

OUSF? Please enlighten us. Thanks.

BigWayne
04-25-2018, 07:43 PM

It's actually the social media thing. My daughter went to college in the last decade and that was what was going on. Social media groups get set up for incoming freshmen and people try to find a roommate online, which is in itself a bit random. Probably the percentage of roommate requests had increased because of social media and certain elements at the university don't like that.

My opinion is that all of this is overblown. I was one of the few people in my freshman dorm back in the old days that did have a preselected roommate, though it was someone I only knew casually. It was convenient because we were from the same home city and could share rides and our parents had met and could keep in touch. We didn't end up staying together beyond the first year though. My brother didn't know anyone in his freshman class and got assigned to a random roommate on east campus, which was a big problem as he was an engineering major. He ended up getting moved into a triple room on west campus mid year with more random guys. He never developed any relationship with any of these guys and ended up not doing well at Duke that year either.

My daughter that had the social media roommate started getting along well with her roommate and making friends together. By the end of January, I am pretty sure they weren't on speaking terms.

There's probably a lot more important things Duke should be doing besides preventing people from rooming with people they choose.

BigWayne
04-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Actually, that's the concern of the current admin. That people are choosing to room with only people "like" them and aren't getting exposed to different perspectives. With Facebook and all other social networks these days, it's really easy for people to find roommates ahead of time, so it's not like it used to be where selecting a roommate ahead of time was quite rare. It's commonplace now and people often choose based on race/background.

Check out the "terrifying" quote from Mr. Briggs as an example (he is against the new policy):
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/03/02/duke-university-blocks-students-picking-their-roommates-freshman-year

I didn't read the article as don't want to give Forde more clicks, but I agree that the policy doesn't really make Duke a "jock school" - it simply illustrates that athletes are given special permissions and the same rules don't apply to them as everybody else in certain circumstances. Obviously, reasonable minds can differ if it is warranted or not, but certainly there is no multi-million dollar dorm dedicated to the basketball players like there is at Kansas and UK.

Some choice quotes in that article. My favorite:

“Policy solutions like the one touted by Moneta and Nowicki are concerned more with the outward, feigned appearances of neoliberal, brochure-worthy multiculturalism, and are less concerned with the needs and requests of actual students living here.”

I'm guessing I wouldn't want to be randomly paired with Mr. Briggs either.

Sir Stealth
04-26-2018, 11:57 AM
I would take the article a lot more seriously if it was written by a member of the Duke community criticizing the policy. Forde, who has many past instances of trying to needle Duke and speaks to his daughter's experience as a swimmer at Stanford while stating Duke "is no Stanford," is not someone who I care to hear this from. The uniqueness of how Duke is situated athletically and academically makes it a poor spotlight when the article itself admits that most D1 schools probably separate athletes to an even greater degree. Even based on the description of the policy in the article, it comes across much more as something where you can see both sides of the argument (the demands of athlete schedules compared to the general student body aren't something to just brush aside) than as Exhibit A in a problem with segregating athletes and NARPs, as the article tries to argue. Honestly, both the new policy of restricting pre-selection of roommates and the policy of grouping athletes together make a lot of sense to me, and I care about Duke's athletes sharing in a common Duke experience with other students.

Ranidad
04-26-2018, 10:14 PM
It really is awful journalism. The bigger story is Duke trying to go against the social media tidal wave and prevent freshman from selecting their own roommates.

Having freshman athletes room together in a dorm mixed with NARPs is basically the same as “randomly” pairing freshman who say they are night owls or early birds. My daughter’s freshman roommate was selected by her coach but I’m sure that it helped both of them get to the East Campus bus stop at 6 am five days a week.

Not sure how that is preferential enough to warrant Forde’s scathing assessment.

Richard Berg
04-27-2018, 05:35 AM
OUSF? Please enlighten us. Thanks.

http://www.ousf.duke.edu/

DevilFalcon
04-30-2018, 11:45 PM
It seems to me that Pat Forde wrote a long article in order to mention that his daughter is a Stanford swimmer and decided to use Duke to get more clicks.

Ding ding ding!