PDA

View Full Version : Great Quin Snyder read

MChambers
04-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/how-quin-snyder-set-aside-a-broken-ncaa-career-to-become-an-nba-coach-of-the-year-candidate/2018/04/15/5d05bf30-40c4-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html?utm_term=.5c3aecdda965

If a moderator could correct the title, I’d be grateful (or greatful).

HereBeforeCoachK
04-15-2018, 05:45 PM
I heard a beat reporter say years ago, when Quin Snyder was an assistant at Duke, that Quin was the most intelligent, talented coach he had ever seen. Then Quin went to Missouri, and got off to that great start with them.....players seemed to absolutely love him...and then the crash at Mizzou.

I suppose he's an NBA coach now. Back in the 90s I thought he'd be a Duke head coach one day.

Trey21
04-15-2018, 11:04 PM
Given his performance with the Jazz, especially this year - which is his best coach year ever I'd say; He's got to be firmly in the top 10 of NBA coaches and probably is on the cusp of cracking the top. Pretty exciting for him. Really happy that he's been given another chance. He's coached all around now and has some really unique experience. This Utah team really embraces his personality.

Tiers of Coaches

All Time
Pop

Great
Kerr, Spo, Stevens

Very Good
Casey, D'antoni

I'm pretty comfortable with those being the top 6. Quin is definitely in the tier with Scotts (PORTLAND), Brown (PHILLY) right now, but he's young enough and creative enough to push past. Guys like Budenholzer (ATL), Carlisle (DALLAS) and Thibs (MINNESOTA) are right beneath that class and are tougher to rank because of their age, situation, and other factors.

Indoor66
04-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Given his performance with the Jazz, especially this year - which is his best coach year ever I'd say; He's got to be firmly in the top 10 of NBA coaches and probably is on the cusp of cracking the top. Pretty exciting for him. Really happy that he's been given another chance. He's coached all around now and has some really unique experience. This Utah team really embraces his personality.

Tiers of Coaches

All Time
Pop

Great
Kerr, Spo, Stevens

Very Good
Casey, D'antoni

I'm pretty comfortable with those being the top 6. Quin is definitely in the tier with Scotts (PORTLAND), Brown (PHILLY) right now, but he's young enough and creative enough to push past. Guys like Budenholzer (ATL), Carlisle (DALLAS) and Thibs (MINNESOTA) are right beneath that class and are tougher to rank because of their age, situation, and other factors.

Anointing takes place all the time. Just remember: around here it is a quick trip from the penthouse to the outhouse.

MCFinARL
04-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Anointing takes place all the time. Just remember: around here it is a quick trip from the penthouse to the outhouse.

Yes, and Snyder is sadly familiar with that trajectory. More power to him that he has found his way back.

Jeffrey
04-16-2018, 11:33 AM
I've always hesitated to post much about Quin, since little has been publicly stated, regardless of other posts. This is an excellent article which should clearly show the low probability of Quin wanting to coach college hoops again. It was a very tough and, IMO, undeserved period for Quin. IMO, Quin knows better than anyone how extremely difficult it is to follow a legend like K. Add a wife, to the mix, and it's that much harder.

Troublemaker
04-16-2018, 10:11 PM
I've always hesitated to post much about Quin, since little has been publicly stated, regardless of other posts. This is an excellent article which should clearly show the low probability of Quin wanting to coach college hoops again. It was a very tough and, IMO, undeserved period for Quin. IMO, Quin knows better than anyone how extremely difficult it is to follow a legend like K. Add a wife, to the mix, and it's that much harder.

I don't think anyone including me believes Quin will follow Coach K. Even without a distaste for college coaching, Quin needs to see what happens with this Gobert / Mitchell core that he has in Utah. Gobert is 25 and Mitchell is 21 and who knows -- maybe Quin can win a ring in Utah with them. He won't be the K+1 coach.

But as far as Quin absolutely NEVER returning to Duke one day as head coach... never say never. I remember when Lebron made The Decision to go to Miami, I was basically called an idiot by some Cleveland supporters on here for suggesting that Lebron could return to Cleveland one day as a free agent. The bridges were too burnt, they suggested. Well, they were wrong. Never say never. The fact is -- as long as Quin is generally recognized as the best coach in Duke's coaching tree, the possibility always exists. He may not want to coach in college again, but if he's called upon one day in the far future to return to Duke to save Duke men's basketball, he might answer the call.

Jeffrey
04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
But as far as Quin absolutely NEVER returning to Duke one day as head coach... never say never. I remember when Lebron made The Decision to go to Miami, I was basically called an idiot by some Cleveland supporters on here for suggesting that Lebron could return to Cleveland one day as a free agent. The bridges were too burnt, they suggested. Well, they were wrong. Never say never. The fact is -- as long as Quin is generally recognized as the best coach in Duke's coaching tree, the possibility always exists. He may not want to coach in college again, but if he's called upon one day in the far future to return to Duke to save Duke men's basketball, he might answer the call.

......which is why I wrote, "low probability of Quin wanting to coach college hoops again".

dukejim1
05-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Snyder and Stevens are in a class by themselves as talented young coaches. I love watching their teams play so well despite youth and injuries.

HereBeforeCoachK
05-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Snyder and Stevens are in a class by themselves as talented young coaches. I love watching their teams play so well despite youth and injuries.

The only quibble I have with that is that Quin would no longer, at 51, be a 'young' coach. (he still seems youthful of course). But he and Stevens (who is 41) do appear to be above the crowd. And I think sadly they're simply NBA coaches now.

sagegrouse
05-03-2018, 07:49 AM

Quin Snyder is 51; Brad Stephens is 41. Both seem young to me, however.

phaedrus
05-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Quin Snyder is 51; Brad Stephens is 41. Both seem young to me, however.

All former Duke players are 21 or 22, unless they were early entrants, in which case they could be 19 or 20.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-03-2018, 03:52 PM
All former Duke players are 21 or 22, unless they were early entrants, in which case they could be 19 or 20.

Duke has early entry players? There should be a thread on how that affects the program!

/sarcasm