PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #117: DBR Bracket Challenge Champion

Dev11
04-10-2018, 09:36 PM
We have a special guest today, the winner of the DBR bracket challenge, Ed Armstrong '89. I also have some relevant personal news down below.

Links:
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:

0:00 Thank you, Byrd Campbell

0:30 Donald welcomes us to ep #117 and Jason talks about playing beer pong with his son’s friends

4:00 Introducing our special guest, Ed Armstrong, winner of the DBR bracket challenge!

5:55 Jason wants to know how a Duke fan managed to pick Villanova and Kansas to beat Duke!

8:20 Ed wants to talk about Coach K and the guys who surround him – are we worried about having such an inexperienced coaching staff with Capel leaving?

9:30 Sam is not worried, but points out that replacing K will probably go awful because it always goes awful when you replace a legend.

12:10 Donald points out that our assistant coaches don’t have a learning curve. They know what is means to be a part of the Duke program.

14:55 Jason thinks that when K retires, a replacement will be named so quickly, we won’t have time to worry about it.

18:20 Ed says he really wanted Capel to stick around as he thinks the transition will go easier if it is someone who is on the Duke staff at that moment.

23:30 Ed brings up a second topic – he’s worried about the lack of upperclassmen going forward.

25:00 Donald says this is the era we are in… not much we can do about it.

27:00 Jason tries to link the issue of young players with Duke’s young assistant coaches (and Sam almost destroys Jason with facts).

29:30 Sam says he won’t be picking Duke to be a big winner in 2019, because he thinks inexperience will be a real problem for next year’s team.

30:50 Ed wants to know how we come up with topics and prepare for each podcast.

32:50 Ed asks about how we get interviews with famous Duke players and the such, which leads Jason to reveal his wish list of folks he’s trying to get for this off-season.

37:00 We say goodbye to Ed and congratulate him again on wining the DBR Bracket Challenge!

37:35 Thanks again to the best Duke legal eagles around, Byrd Campbell.

38:10 Time to talk about the Duke freshmen turning pro. We address some of the controversy about whether Duke properly used Duval and Trent this past season.

39:50 Jason doesn’t understand the criticism here and concludes there is some parental bias at play.

42:25 Sam notes the irony that Duke used to be criticized for guys sticking around and is now being criticized for guys leaving too soon… we just can’t win!

47:25 Donald says that if these kids want to just have the game built around them, they need to go elsewhere. If they want maximum exposure and a chance to be part of something truly special, they need to go to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and the other blue bloods.

49:55 Jason analyzes where the Duke freshmen were – in the NBA’s eyes – at the start of the season and where they are now.

53:40 Parting shots – Jason talks about “he’s 2 years away from being 2 years away.”

56:50 Parting shots – Donald raves about Quinn Cook earning a NBA contract for the World Champs!

59:45 Parting shots – Sam reveals where he will attend Business School… AT DUKE!!!

1:05:00 Good bye and Duke band

JasonEvans
04-11-2018, 02:18 PM
Final 8, Baby!!!

UrinalCake
04-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Sounds like Jason may go OAD in the beer pong league

blazindw
04-11-2018, 02:36 PM
BREAKING: Jason Evans considering declaring for the National Beer Pong Association draft. Sources close to the DBR Podcast confirm that he is weighing being a full-time beer pong pro and is researching his probable place in the draft, but has not yet signed with an agent.

kAzE
04-11-2018, 07:41 PM
So... I’ve been waiting for the right time post this, and the bracket champion’s topic of discussion seems like a good segue.

What if we offered Jay Wright the Duke job when Coach K retires? Jay makes just over 2 million bucks a year right now, So what if Duke offered him 7-8 million and the head coaching job? Who says no?

Other than Brad Stevens, I can’t think of a better guy right now to replace the legend.

Of course ideally it would be a guy from the Duke family, but like you guys discussed on the pod, that hasn’t worked out for a lot of other big programs in the past. It’s also a tremendous amount of pressure for a relatively new head coach to follow up from Coach K.

Jay is 50 something years old and is already wearing 2 rings.

What do you think?

Dev11
04-12-2018, 12:23 AM
BREAKING: Jason Evans considering declaring for the National Beer Pong Association draft. Sources close to the DBR Podcast confirm that he is weighing being a full-time beer pong pro and is researching his probable place in the draft, but has not yet signed with an agent.

Jason can be my partner in the Fuqua father/son beer pong tournament, if there is one. My dad stinks at beer pong anyway.

Sorry we didn't time this episode up with the Carter speculation. If he announces he's staying, I promise we'll do a show ASAP.

blazindw
04-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Jason can be my partner in the Fuqua father/son beer pong tournament, if there is one. My dad stinks at beer pong anyway.

Sorry we didn't time this episode up with the Carter speculation. If he announces he's staying, I promise we'll do a show ASAP.

If there's a tourney and you need a partner, gimme a call Maverick.

-Viper

UrinalCake
04-12-2018, 07:06 AM
Congrats to Sam on returning to Duke! Please tell me you are going to endure grad student campout so you can attend some games again! Durham has changed a lot over the past few years, you’ll have a blast.

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2018, 08:20 AM
So... I’ve been waiting for the right time post this, and the bracket champion’s topic of discussion seems like a good segue.

What if we offered Jay Wright the Duke job when Coach K retires? Jay makes just over 2 million bucks a year right now, So what if Duke offered him 7-8 million and the head coaching job? Who says no?

Other than Brad Stevens, I can’t think of a better guy right now to replace the legend.

Of course ideally it would be a guy from the Duke family, but like you guys discussed on the pod, that hasn’t worked out for a lot of other big programs in the past. It’s also a tremendous amount of pressure for a relatively new head coach to follow up from Coach K.

Jay is 50 something years old and is already wearing 2 rings.

What do you think?

I'd love Wright. Always have since he beat Duke in the SR/S16 (forget which one) in the late 2000s. IMO, he's one of the best developers of talent in the country.

Would he take it? If Duke tripled his salary, probably. But you know 'Nova would counter right back. Also, my gut tells me Wright may take the Donovan path moreso than switching colleges: 2 championships-and-NBA bound. Wright is 56, so he's not a spring chicken anymore. He needs to put a lot of thought into his next position (if that's even on his mind) because it may be his last.

flyingdutchdevil
04-12-2018, 08:22 AM
Congrats on Fuqua, Sam. Nothing beats business school, even Duke undergrad.

Also, Campout maybe the most insane 48 hours on Duke campus (and yes. The conspiracies are true. Duke undergrads get preference for the lottery).

Dev11
04-12-2018, 11:12 AM

What if we offered Jay Wright the Duke job when Coach K retires?

It might be fun to try to handicap a huge list of potential replacements and have us all gamble on them. Jason runs the DBR gambling challenge, right? Let's get those odds going.

JasonEvans
04-12-2018, 11:22 AM
It might be fun to try to handicap a huge list of potential replacements and have us all gamble on them. Jason runs the DBR gambling challenge, right? Let's get those odds going.

Just off the top of my head...

Capel - 7-2
Collins - 4-1
Wojo - 5-1
Hurley - 5-1
Amaker - 8-1
Stevens - 10-1
Scheyer - 12-1
Brey - 15-1
Dawkins - 20-1
Snyder - 25-1
James - 40-1
Carrawell - 40-1
Field 20-1

-Jason "basically, I see 4 co-front-runners at this point, none of whom have really separated themselves from the field" Evans

jv001
04-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Just off the top of my head...

Capel - 7-2
Collins - 4-1
Wojo - 5-1
Hurley - 5-1
Amaker - 8-1
Stevens - 10-1
Scheyer - 12-1
Brey - 15-1
Dawkins - 20-1
Snyder - 25-1
James - 40-1
Carrawell - 40-1
Field 20-1

-Jason "basically, I see 4 co-front-runners at this point, none of whom have really separated themselves from the field" Evans

40-1 pie bets. Hmmmm? Someone will surely jump on those odds. But not me. :cool:GoDuke!

Troublemaker
04-13-2018, 10:48 AM

Wright would, imo. He's extremely happy at Nova.

Would he take it? If Duke tripled his salary, probably. But you know 'Nova would counter right back.

Yes, I would expect Nova to bump him to the $4 to $5M range on their own anyway, not as the result of any counteroffer. And Nova also has a sugar daddy in Bill Finneran who could take care of Wright if needed. (https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/news/local/palm-beacher-bill-finneran-gives-championship-worthy-gift-villanova/e9yuZMmIb2SBujjnm6MRbI/) And even if Duke COULD triple his salary, I honestly don't think he leaves Nova.

Wright-to-Duke is amazingly even less of a chance than Stevens-to-Duke, which are both less of a chance than Sophomore Wendell Carter.

kAzE
04-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Wright would, imo. He's extremely happy at Nova.

Not saying you're wrong, but we would be doing a disservice to ourselves if we didn't at least look into it. Taking over a program following the greatest of all time would be tough for anyone, but a proven champion like Jay Wright would at least be able to weather some transitional adversity, if it came to that.