PDA

View Full Version : Whom would you like to see as Duke assistant coaches in the future?

Duke95
04-07-2018, 05:42 PM
For me (in no particular order, and I'll exclude Battier because that seems highly unlikely.)

Nolan Smith (practically already there)
Amile Jefferson
DeMarcus Nelson
Matt Jones
Andre Dawkins
Gerald Henderson
Ryan Kelly
Tyler Thornton
Sean Dockery

Not sure how realistic getting Gerald would be. I believe during a broadcast this year, he said he's re-entering free agency in the NBA this year.

ArkieDukie
04-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Two words: Christian Laettner

Natty_B
04-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Good list and good topic. I’m saying Vic Bubas or Lefty Driesell. If Larry Brown goes to Memphis then why not?

devilseven
04-07-2018, 06:18 PM

One word: YES

GeneBanksManCrush
04-07-2018, 06:28 PM
How about we have a former player/NBA front office alumni coaching squad with Billy King and Danny Ferry? That's probably about as likely as Christian Laettner.

Ian
04-07-2018, 06:58 PM
I basically assume anyone who made millions in the NBA would not be interested. Therefore my choices are: David McClure, Demarcus Nelson, Brian Zoubek, and hopefully down the line Tyler Thorton.

freshmanjs
04-07-2018, 07:01 PM
I basically assume anyone who made millions in the NBA would not be interested. Therefore my choices are: David McClure, Demarcus Nelson, Brian Zoubek, and hopefully down the line Tyler Thorton.

Johnny Dawkins and Bobby Hurley both took assistant coaching jobs. I'd like to see Quinn Cook on the staff one day.

Ian
04-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Johnny Dawkins and Bobby Hurley both took assistant coaching jobs. I'd like to see Quinn Cook on the staff one day.

Good point, but they both had very injury shortened careers, and didn't make as much money (Lance Thomas will make more money in the NBA than Hurley and Dawkins combined), and it took Hurley a long time after basketball retirement to get into coaching.

Dev11
04-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Good point, but they both had very injury shortened careers, and didn't make as much money (Lance Thomas will make more money in the NBA than Hurley and Dawkins combined), and it took Hurley a long time after basketball retirement to get into coaching.

Right, assuming that Lance and Quinn and the rest of the current Duke players in the NBA aren't being dumb about their money, they probably won't need to become end-of-the-bench assistants. Hurley and Dawkins are much older and I don't think they made "forever" money as players. Forget about current or fairly recent NBA players, including Shane Battier.

fraggler
04-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Brad Stevens

richmclean
04-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Cool head, mental toughness, inside/out shooting and big man skills. Nah Duke couldn’t use it’s best ever at this combo coaching our squads.

MarkD83
04-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Brian would coach the guards and free throw shooting

SmartDevil
04-07-2018, 08:32 PM
I'd like to see Roy Williams on the end of the bench. (Towel boy)

weezie
04-07-2018, 08:39 PM
No love for Greg Paulus here?

I think the young man has certainly proved himself as bankable.

JBDuke
04-07-2018, 08:41 PM
No love for Greg Paulus here?

I think the young man has certainly proved himself as bankable.

I was just about to post something about Paulus. He wasn't retained on Louisville's staff, so apparently he's available right now. If Nate goes, maybe Nolan moves into a coaching role, and Paulus can take Nolan's coach-in-waiting spot.

wavedukefan70s
04-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Antonio lang.seemed to have great people skills.im not sure if he's still coaching.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-07-2018, 09:18 PM

Johnny played about 10 years in the league and made about $10 million in salary. Not the silly money guys are making today but if he was smart with his money, those earnings plus a ten year NBA pension means he didn't have to work if he didn't want to. He started at the very bottom - he spent his first year helping out across the athletic department. Then when Amaker left he became an assistant.

I loved Tony Lang and would love to have him on staff but he is working for Quin in Utah now and is in his mid-40s.

My top choice is Amile. I hope he has a long and prosperous pro career but after that he would be a great addition. From everything I saw he was smart, charismatic, humble, and willing to do whatever it takes to win.

22JumpShots
04-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Does it have to be former Duke players?

If so - I like Andre Dawkins or Mike Dunleavy. Laettner would be interesting but I just don't see it happening.

If not - Reggie Miller. Clutch, knows how to win (although never got that NBA ring...), knows how to find out what makes players tick...etc etc.

westwall
04-07-2018, 09:31 PM
I was just about to post something about Paulus. He wasn't retained on Louisville's staff, so apparently he's available right now.

Paulus earlier was not retained on OSU's staff. I have the impression, subject to correction, that he did not do well in recruiting for Ohio State. Others may have better insight on that, I hope.

heyman25
04-08-2018, 12:07 AM
David McClure, Marty Clark, Nick Pagliuca

MCFinARL
04-08-2018, 12:48 AM
Does it have to be former Duke players?

If so - I like Andre Dawkins or Mike Dunleavy. Laettner would be interesting but I just don't see it happening.

If not - Reggie Miller. Clutch, knows how to win (although never got that NBA ring...), knows how to find out what makes players tick...etc etc.

I love Andre Dawkins, though I can't say whether he would be a great coach or not--it seems like most (but not all) of the people who end up on the coaching staff have played point guard at least part of the time.

Mike Dunleavy might be interesting for an unusual reason--he is the brother in law of lax assistant coach Matt Danowski, and of lax volunteer assistant Ned Crotty (both Dunleavy and Danowski are married to Crottys).

OZZIE4DUKE
04-08-2018, 01:38 AM
Christian has long said he wants to get into coaching. He runs a basketball skills camp in Jax, FL, and has for years. Yet he has never taken an assistant coaching job. Don't know if he's ever been offered - if not, there must be preconceived notions about his personality? I would think that Coach K wouldn't have a problem with that. He knows he's a mf'er, but he's OUR mf'er! :cool: Seriously, he's a heckuva nice guy, would be great with the big men, and probably needs the money after his failed real estate dealings in downtown Durham.

I'd be all for Christian Laettner being an assistant coach at Duke.

kAzE
04-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Shane Battier, but he probably wouldn't do it.

madscavenger
04-08-2018, 06:22 AM
Ryan Kelly

Mike Dunleavy

Bluedog
04-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Christian Laettner is probably too tough/harsh for the kids these days. Ask Coach K about it. He's stated that he's absolutely changed how he approaches the personnel these days based on what motivational tactics work best and says he does a lot less yelling than he used to and old players would think he's gotten significantly softer. But it's not a lack of intensity, it's just what players respond to. But I could be reading too much into it. I'm sure the Hurley's are both pretty intense coaches...Same with Collins and Wojo for that matter.

Duke95
04-08-2018, 08:36 AM

Hopefully after he has a long and successful NBA career. Looks as though Golden State has made room for Quinn on their playoff roster.

Also, I'd add Dahntay Jones as a possible assistant coach too.

GeneBanksManCrush
04-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Well, if by chance Laettner agrees I'd have to imagine that we'd get Brian Davis too, in a package deal.

Dahntay Jones could also be a good choice. When I was still living in Raleigh I had a friend in town and decided to show him around. Walked into Cameron on a spring Saturday and happened to see him playing Jason Williams one on one.

fuse
04-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Laettner, Shane, Grant, and Jay Williams.

Elton, and when JJ steps away from the NBA, JJ.

Tripping William
04-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Antonio lang.seemed to have great people skills.im not sure if he's still coaching.

He is on Quin Snyder’s staff with the Jazz.

BlueHoo
04-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Unlikely in the near future, but JJ would be great. Consumate professional, years of elite NBA experience, relates well to younger generation, smart and has a strong drive.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Christian Laettner is probably too tough/harsh for the kids these days. Ask Coach K about it. He's stated that he's absolutely changed how he approaches the personnel these days based on what motivational tactics work best and says he does a lot less yelling than he used to and old players would think he's gotten significantly softer. But it's not a lack of intensity, it's just what players respond to. But I could be reading too much into it. I'm sure the Hurley's are both pretty intense coaches...Same with Collins and Wojo for that matter.

I agree with that - altho I wonder sometimes if the staff over shot with the kid gloves treatment this season.

Saratoga2
04-08-2018, 09:18 AM
For me (in no particular order, and I'll exclude Battier because that seems highly unlikely.)

Nolan Smith (practically already there)
Amile Jefferson
DeMarcus Nelson
Matt Jones
Andre Dawkins
Gerald Henderson
Ryan Kelly
Tyler Thornton
Sean Dockery

Not sure how realistic getting Gerald would be. I believe during a broadcast this year, he said he's re-entering free agency in the NBA this year.

Matt Jones would be my choice of those. He would help with the defense where we will have the most problems, assuming a lot of OAD going forward.

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2018, 11:52 AM

I'd love to see J Will on the bench. I think he'd be a good coach, and it would be nice to not have to disagree with him during halftime. :rolleyes:

Acymetric
04-08-2018, 12:34 PM

People through Zoubs name out there a lot in these conversations, but I got the impression that he has moved on from basketball. I know his cream puff shop folded, so maybe he is back in the game on some level now but I would not have any expectation of him getting into coaching. Not to say I wouldn't love to have him, really enjoyed his four years here. He would have shown so much better his first three years if not for constant injuries derailing his offseason development...no coincidence that he was an absolute monster on the boards his senior year after finally having a healthy offseason to train/build up some lower body strength

Bluedevil114
04-08-2018, 01:07 PM

I was about to write the exact same names. The other two names I would add is Quinn Cook and Michael Dunleavy.

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2018, 01:11 PM
I was about to write the exact same names. The other two names I would add is Quinn Cook and Michael Dunleavy.

Quinn needs to have a long career as a motivational speaker. :cool: :cool:

Bluedevil114
04-08-2018, 01:24 PM
Quinn needs to have a long career as a motivational speaker. :cool: :cool:

My son goes to his basketball camp every year and he is so good working with the kids and having fun with him. I think it is great having guys like Nolan and Quinn around the team because they both had to overcome adversity before increasing their playing time and leadership skills. Then they were both able to win a National Championship.

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 01:35 PM
I love Andre Dawkins, though I can't say whether he would be a great coach or not--it seems like most (but not all) of the people who end up on the coaching staff have played point guard at least part of the time.

Mike Dunleavy might be interesting for an unusual reason--he is the brother in law of lax assistant coach Matt Danowski, and of lax volunteer assistant Ned Crotty (both Dunleavy and Danowski are married to Crottys).

Somehow I don't see Mike Dunleavy serving as a college assistant coach after making $82 million during his 15 years in the NBA.

Other lifetime NBA salaries from that era:
Brand, $169 million, 17 years
Shane, $56 million, 13 years
Boozer, $146 million, 13 years

budwom
04-08-2018, 01:45 PM
^that's why so many of these suggestions are so unrealistic. Generally speaking, guys with many millions of bucks don't need the grind of coaching and recruiting, though of course there are exceptions.

DukieInKansas
04-08-2018, 01:49 PM
MP3 - managed his time well (classes, basketball, and ROTC), improved each year, and it's always good to have a Plumlee on the bench.

(But what do I know - I'm a tired accountant.)

Bluedog
04-08-2018, 01:55 PM
People through Zoubs name out there a lot in these conversations, but I got the impression that he has moved on from basketball. I know his cream puff shop folded, so maybe he is back in the game on some level now but I would not have any expectation of him getting into coaching. Not to say I wouldn't love to have him, really enjoyed his four years here. He would have shown so much better his first three years if not for constant injuries derailing his offseason development...no coincidence that he was an absolute monster on the boards his senior year after finally having a healthy offseason to train/build up some lower body strength

Zoubs has been in the real estate development game for a while now. Was in NY but started a company in Philly. As somebody who knows people that took classes with him, Zoubek is a smart dude that I'm sure is passionate and motivated outside of basketball (not to say he'd never come back, just that he has a lot of options).

freshmanjs
04-08-2018, 02:36 PM
^that's why so many of these suggestions are so unrealistic. Generally speaking, guys with many millions of bucks don't need the grind of coaching and recruiting, though of course there are exceptions.

Maybe true for assistant jobs. There are lots of head coaches who have millions in the bank and still work at it. Some even do it in to their 70s.

ArkieDukie
04-08-2018, 03:12 PM
MP3 - managed his time well (classes, basketball, and ROTC), improved each year, and it's always good to have a Plumlee on the bench.

I came here to suggest that very name and will now second it. I’ll add that he is extremely charismatic and a great leader.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-08-2018, 03:56 PM
I think we should change this thread to those whom we would not like as an assistant coach because I think just about every former Duke basketball player has now been nominated...

budwom
04-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Maybe true for assistant jobs. There are lots of head coaches who have millions in the bank and still work at it. Some even do it in to their 70s.

I understand. I was just addressing the notion that wealthy guys like Grant Hill or Mike Dunleavy might want to become assistant coaches. Can't imagine why they would.

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Not the point. No head coaches that I am aware of starter their coaching career with "millions in the bank."* Hitting it rich as ahead coach and then and keeping at is a different matter. They are the boss, are treated like heroes on their respective campuses, and see no reason they should give up their positions just because they are already rich.

Kindly,
Sage
*Patrick Ewing, now the HC at Georgetown, may be an exception, but he, for some reason or another, sat on an NBA bench for years.

DukeWarhead
04-08-2018, 05:25 PM
It takes much more than being a good Duke player to be a good coach. (Although, Duke has produced some very good coaches from great players.) In fact, most of the great coaches in college sports were not standout athletes. Obviously, some have been, but they are the minority. The ability to lead, communicate, and motivate at a high level is rare.
I’ve always thought that Battier exhibited the most natural leadership (coaching) chops of any Duke player of my lifetime. I’m sure he would make a superb coach, but doesn’t make sense career wise for him.
I do think that Marshall Plumlee could be a very effective assistant coach someday based on passion, humor, and smarts alone.

Steven43
04-08-2018, 05:42 PM
I'd love to see J Will on the bench. I think he'd be a good coach, and it would be nice to not have to disagree with him during halftime. :rolleyes:
Allow me to submit a ‘No’ vote for Mr. Williams. Were he on the Duke bench I would always have to wonder for whom he is truly rooting when Duke and UNC play.

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Not the point. No head coaches that I am aware of starter their coaching career with "millions in the bank."* Hitting it rich as ahead coach and then and keeping at is a different matter. They are the boss, are treated like heroes on their respective campuses, and see no reason they should give up their positions just because they are already rich.

Kindly,
Sage
*Patrick Ewing, now the HC at Georgetown, may be an exception, but he, for some reason or another, sat on an NBA bench for years.

Excusez-moi, je voudrais traduisez ma note precedent:

No head coaches began with "millions in the bank." Becoming rich after becoming a head coach is a totally different situation. Why shoouldn't rich and successful head basketball coaches keep working? They are lionized in both the sports world and on campus. And "rich" is always relative.

Reilly
04-08-2018, 06:05 PM
...No head coaches began with "millions in the bank." ...

How's this fella fit your theories?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Moglia

Reilly
04-08-2018, 06:10 PM
... I was just addressing the notion that wealthy guys like Grant Hill or Mike Dunleavy might want to become assistant coaches. Can't imagine why they would.

I recall walking past Johnny D on the floor @Army in November 1997 and realizing his Marvin Gaye-esque leather trench coat probably cost more than all cars I'd owned to date. Granted, he only made $9.8 million in the league.

As for Dunleavy, I recall Battier talking about how Mike D. was the biggest hoop-head he knew, how Dunleavy would watch some random mid-week Stony Brook game and be upset at strategic decisionmaking.... can see that from the intensity and accomplishment of his father ...

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 06:12 PM
How's this fella fit your theories?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Moglia

An interesting case. Thanks for alerting us to Joe Moglia, industrial tycoon and now head football coach for the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. Actually, I use his bank.

freshmanjs
04-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Excusez-moi, je voudrais traduisez ma note precedent:

No head coaches began with "millions in the bank." Becoming rich after becoming a head coach is a totally different situation. Why shoouldn't rich and successful head basketball coaches keep working? They are lionized in both the sports world and on campus. And "rich" is always relative.

Really, "no head coaches" ??

Terry Porter
Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Avery Johnson
Mark Price
Reggie Theus
Damon Staudamire
Donyell Marshall
Kevin Ollie
Dan Majerle

There are more.

Wander
04-08-2018, 06:15 PM
Without seeing practices and recruiting conversations, it's basically impossible for a fan to tell who would or wouldn't be a good coach. My best guess would be Nolan. He had the most consistent improvement year-to-year of any player I can think of, and because it wasn't just about learning how to use insane athleticism, I'd like to think that would translate well to coaching. And he seemed to connect pretty well with younger guys.

Reilly
04-08-2018, 06:16 PM

Terry Porter
Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Avery Johnson
Mark Price
Reggie Theus
Damon Staudamire
Donyell Marshall
Kevin Ollie
Dan Majerle

There are more.

Interesting cases. I don't use their banks, but maybe I should.

freshmanjs
04-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Interesting cases. I don't use their banks, but maybe I should.

Those guys had long NBA careers and made millions.

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 06:29 PM

Terry Porter
Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Avery Johnson
Mark Price
Reggie Theus
Damon Staudamire
Donyell Marshall
Kevin Ollie
Dan Majerle

There are more.
Amazing that a number of these guys started as college assistants after lengthy NBA careers. Must be in the blood.

Acymetric
04-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Terry Porter
Danny Manning
Chris Mullin
Avery Johnson
Mark Price
Reggie Theus
Damon Staudamire
Donyell Marshall
Kevin Ollie
Dan Majerle

There are more.

"No head coaches" was probably an overstatement. However, although there are undoubtedly more that are not on your list, I suspect it would comprise a very small percentage of successful NBA players. It does happen, and more than once or twice, but a very small percentage of successful NBA players go on to coach at the college level (of course, varying depending on how you define successful).

awhom111
04-08-2018, 08:01 PM
I think we should change this thread to those whom we would not like as an assistant coach because I think just about every former Duke basketball player has now been nominated...

Interesting to see which ones have not.

Marty Pocius is now on the analytics/scouting side for the Nuggets. He would be interesting with international connections. His father coached for a long time in Lithuania too.

Daniel Ewing is pretty much winding down his playing career. He seems to be spending a lot of quality family time, which he has definitely earned with such a long overseas career, but I think he has coached some AAU so maybe he can do some coaching more local to where he lives.

Shelden Williams is in scouting for the Nets, but nobody would complain about his big man coaching.

I think Nick Horvath is doing some high school coaching in New Zealand. It might be too embarrassing to have him school the college players every summer. The unique Duke Basketball experience that I got once was the chance to watch a bit of a staff pickup game, which was some of the most intense basketball I have ever seen as Wojo and Collins seem to only play one way.

JNort
04-08-2018, 08:12 PM
If Battier and Christian were on the bench as coaches we would never lose. Calling it!

BD80
04-08-2018, 09:09 PM

Doesn't MP3 have a military commitment to meet?

Do any other Duke alum have highly ranked basketball playing offspring, a la C-Well?

sagegrouse
04-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Doesn't MP3 have a military commitment to meet?

Do any other Duke alum have highly ranked basketball playing offspring, a la C-Well?

Yes, but he got a reserve commission and had a limited commitment to active duty, which he has probably fulfilled -- 3-4 months, I believe. He would have obligations to serve in a reserve unit, but I haven't seen anything specific.

Truth&Justise
04-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Elton Brand's name got a quick mention here, so it's worth pointing out he has already begun a post-playing career in basketball: he is currently the GM of the Delaware Blue Coats (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Blue_Coats) (formerly Delaware 87ers), which is the 76ers G-League affiliate. Not sure if he has an interest in coaching or is focused on being in the front-office--or just wants to stay near the NBA--but it's neat to see him embarking on the second stage of his basketball career.

kako
04-09-2018, 12:48 PM
I'd say a former PG on the bench would be good. Duke will need one when Scheyer leaves. PGs are usually good communicators, which is important for bench coaching.

As a recruiter, somebody with NBA on his resume would be great - particularly in this OAD era.

I don't see the huge need these days for an old-school big man coach. The game has changed so much over the past 5 years. Bigs will still need coaching, but it's a different role now.

I think there are NBA coaches and college coaches. So much of college is recruiting and teaching (especially for an assistant), so a guy has to be into that. NBA vs. college is so different as an overall game and business. Some guys, even though they look back on Duke fondly, may have moved on with their lives and now focus more on the NBA. Guys like Ferry, Snyder, etc. might be like that. I think you have to want to be a college guy vs. a pro guy.

All that being said, I'd like to see Battier on the bench as a recruiter. He's personable, has rings (NCAA and NBA) and can say he played with LeBron. Kids will know who he is when they youtube him - he has actual HD vids they can watch instead of grainy 4x3 ones off of VHS.

On the bench, I'd like to see Wojo back. Of course, he wants to be successful at Marquette. But if things don't work out, it would be great to see him there. I'd say Amaker, but I think he has a job for life at Harvard if he wants to stay there. If not Wojo or Amaker, then Duhon. I think kids seeing guys with NBA on their resume is attractive, and he fits the PG requirement.

jimsumner
04-09-2018, 02:03 PM
I'd say a former PG on the bench would be good. Duke will need one when Scheyer leaves. PGs are usually good communicators, which is important for bench coaching.

As a recruiter, somebody with NBA on his resume would be great - particularly in this OAD era.

I don't see the huge need these days for an old-school big man coach. The game has changed so much over the past 5 years. Bigs will still need coaching, but it's a different role now.

I think there are NBA coaches and college coaches. So much of college is recruiting and teaching (especially for an assistant), so a guy has to be into that. NBA vs. college is so different as an overall game and business. Some guys, even though they look back on Duke fondly, may have moved on with their lives and now focus more on the NBA. Guys like Ferry, Snyder, etc. might be like that. I think you have to want to be a college guy vs. a pro guy.

All that being said, I'd like to see Battier on the bench as a recruiter. He's personable, has rings (NCAA and NBA) and can say he played with LeBron. Kids will know who he is when they youtube him - he has actual HD vids they can watch instead of grainy 4x3 ones off of VHS.

On the bench, I'd like to see Wojo back. Of course, he wants to be successful at Marquette. But if things don't work out, it would be great to see him there. I'd say Amaker, but I think he has a job for life at Harvard if he wants to stay there. If not Wojo or Amaker, then Duhon. I think kids seeing guys with NBA on their resume is attractive, and he fits the PG requirement.

Nolan Smith played some point guard at Duke and he's next in the pipeline.

No reasonable chance of Wojo or Amaker coming back to Duke in any capacity other than head coach.

Duhon has some off-court issues that need to be dealt with.

If you're looking for a former Duke point guard, then Greg Paulus or Tyler Thornton would qualify.

camion
04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
I have always been an advodate for Shane Battier in any capacity he would like.

Thinking outside the box I would like to mention one of my favorite non-Duke players Tyrone Bogues. As big man coach of course. :)

CDu
04-09-2018, 02:17 PM
I have always been an advodate for Shane Battier in any capacity he would like.

I've never really seen Battier as a coaching type. Doesn't seem like his personality. I see him more as an NBA GM type.

Reddevil
04-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Greg Koubek and Marty Clark have remained active in coaching and basketball camps. I see this thread as mostly about reaching so I wanted to throw those two guys into the ring. Who knows, if other schools keep coming after the assistants.....

Billy Dat
04-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Jackie Moon
David Greene
Shooter Flatch
Bobby Finstock
Pete Bell

tbyers11
04-09-2018, 03:56 PM
Jackie Moon
David Greene
Shooter Flatch
Bobby Finstock
Pete Bell

Billy Hoyle
Ken Reeves

Billy Dat
04-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Edwina 'Eddie' Franklin

flyingdutchdevil
04-09-2018, 04:02 PM
To me, I want ex-players who can relate to kids these days. Scheyer does it and Capel definitely did it.

I think highly personable players like Quinn Cook and Nolan Smith would be great. Henderson would be a fun addition.

House P
04-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Jackie Moon
David Greene
Shooter Flatch
Bobby Finstock
Pete Bell

I love this list, but have to wonder if you have something against George Brockington (http://thefishthatsavedpittsburgh.com/uncategorized/coach-brockington/). He oversaw one of the greatest turnarounds in basketball history. By focusing on astrology-based roster decisions, Coach Brockington seemed to be way ahead of his time in terms of embracing "advanced analytics".

Speaking of outside-the-box qualifications, Mike Sotsky (http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/sotsky_michael?view=bio) is currently an assistant coach on Tommy Amaker's staff. Coach Sotsky was a part of the Duke program during the 2015 National Championship run, but doesn't have the background typically associated with D1 assistant coaches. Sotsky was a manager for Duke.

Native
04-09-2018, 05:44 PM
Speaking of outside-the-box qualifications, Mike Sotsky (http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/sotsky_michael?view=bio) is currently an assistant coach on Tommy Amaker's staff. Coach Sotsky was a part of the Duke program during the 2015 National Championship run, but doesn't have the background typically associated with D1 assistant coaches. Sotsky was a manager for Duke.

Sotsky was a friend of mine while at Duke. He would coach the manager's team and would wear a full suit and tie to every game. He's a great guy and it'd be very cool to see him wind up back on the Duke bench.

Acymetric
04-09-2018, 06:31 PM
I've never really seen Battier as a coaching type. Doesn't seem like his personality. I see him more as an NBA GM type.

He has previously stated he is not interested in coaching, so that make sense. Right now he's the director of development and analytics for the Heat (or at least he was), and that seems more in line for him to me.

curtis325
04-09-2018, 06:46 PM
The correct answer is:

Kenny Dennard

johnb
04-09-2018, 08:54 PM
As others have pointed out, it seems impossible for almost any of us to know what the core crowd truly thinks of an of the former players (at least those who haven't been hired onto the bench--those all have an obvious stamp of approval). Further, the key assistant hires will occur after K retires, so the "mix" becomes crucial.

Some of the former superstars might be intrigued back to the team, but I'm not sure the team needs celebrities when it has Coach K. Both K and Laettner have mellowed, but I don't see the upside of bringing him onto the team. While he seems like a good guy now, my understanding is that his former teammates loved him but disliked him. I agree that Battier is a future NBA GM rather than a recruiter of 17 yr olds. JJ might want to coach--like Hurley, he's a perfectionistic gym rat who might want a career in the sport regardless of money.

While I can think of a dozen post-K possibilities, my hunch is that Scheyer will get the HC job in a few years, but maybe I think that because he looks the most like Brad Stevens among our former players. If so, he'll want a couple of former, youngish players like Carrawell, Nolan Smith, or Quinn and perhaps some sort of mid-level statesman like Nate or a former HC. But as I said, I really don't know who has shown themselves to be great organizers, motivators, etc, behind closed doors.

weezie
04-09-2018, 11:20 PM
...my hunch is that Scheyer will get the HC job in a few years, but maybe I think that because he looks the most like Brad Stevens among our former players...

Well, ok, I never noticed that he looks like Brad Stevens but, then again, I'm not a member of the Duke Chapter of The Brad Stevens Fan Club.

I think Jon is far better looking than Brad Stevens.

flyingdutchdevil
04-09-2018, 11:39 PM
Well, ok, I never noticed that he looks like Brad Stevens but, then again, I'm not a member of the Duke Chapter of The Brad Stevens Fan Club.

I think Jon is far better looking than Brad Stevens.

Yeah...no....

Stevens is an objectively good looking man.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-10-2018, 07:07 AM

I don't think many long time NBA players get back into college coaching.....because with 1500 pro games under their belt compared to maybe 120 college games, they are more NBA people.

And when they do jump back into coaching, they tend to get the head job at their alma mater, and it rarely works out. Clyde Drexler comes to mind. We'll watch Penny in Memphis and see how that works out.

freshmanjs
04-10-2018, 07:12 AM
Yeah...no...

Stevens is an objectively good looking man.

That word...I do not think it means what you think it means

House P
04-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Sotsky was a friend of mine while at Duke. He would coach the manager's team and would wear a full suit and tie to every game. He's a great guy and it'd be very cool to see him wind up back on the Duke bench.

Cool story. Best of luck to Sotsky.

This discussion made me wonder about current college coaches didn't play D1 basketball. After a quick Google search, the best I could find is a 2017 youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGGPhJU9Xs) which lists the following eight coaches as having no college playing experience:

- Marvin Menzies (UNLV, never played in HS or college)
- Steve Hawkins (Western Michigan, never played past 10th grade)
- Scott Drew (Baylor, never played beyond JV in HS)
- Bruce Weber (Kansas St, never played past HS)
- Bob Marlin (Lousiana-Lafayette, never played past HS-turned down offers to play JUCO)
- Cliff Ellis (Coastal Carolina, never played past HS-planned to play JUCO, but was injured)
- Mick Cronin (Cincinnati, never played past HS due to knee injury)
- Mark Few (Gonzaga, never played past HS due to shoulder injury)

I also know that Roy Williams only played JV ball at Carolina and I seem to remember hearing that Buzz Williams and Frank Martin didn't play college ball. So I assume that there are other coaches not mentioned in the linked video.

Anybody know of any other college coaches without college playing experience?

tbyers11
04-10-2018, 11:21 AM

This discussion made me wonder about current college coaches didn't play D1 basketball. After a quick Google search, the best I could find is a 2017 youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsGGPhJU9Xs) which lists the following eight coaches as having no college playing experience:

- Bob Marlin (Lousiana-Lafayette, never played past HS-turned down offers to play JUCO)
- Cliff Ellis (Coastal Carolina, never played past HS-planned to play JUCO, but was injured)

I also know that Roy Williams only played JV ball at Carolina and I seem to remember hearing that Buzz Williams and Frank Martin didn't play college ball. So I assume that there are other coaches not mentioned in the linked video.

If you limit it to coaches who played D1 college ball, I think you would have a long list particularly at the lower reaches of D1.

If we limit to D1 playing experience to the higher profile Power 6 conferences I can think of 3 of the top of my head.

Shaka Smart played D3 ball at Kenyon College.
Neither Greg Gard nor Buzz Williams played any college basketball.

EDIT: You already had Buzz. So I'll add Dana Altman. He played JUCO and DII at Eastern New Mexico

Reilly
04-10-2018, 12:31 PM
... made me wonder about current college coaches didn't play D1 basketball ..

As your list shows, playing at a high level is not required to coach well at a high level.

Then again, I've always liked Jim Palmer's line about HOF manager Earl Weaver that "the only thing that Earl knows about a curve ball is he couldn't hit it."

Reddevil
04-10-2018, 12:47 PM

I just got Schooled. I flipped out when I saw Scott Drew because I was thinking he was the guy at Valpo that hit "the shot". A quick Google search reminded my that his brother Bryce did that and their dad is Homer Drew. Wait, aren't they also the Property Brothers?

jimsumner
04-10-2018, 01:32 PM
That word...I do not think it means what you think it means

Maybe she meant "literally."

House P
04-10-2018, 01:57 PM
As your list shows, playing at a high level is not required to coach well at a high level.

Then again, I've always liked Jim Palmer's line about HOF manager Earl Weaver that "the only thing that Earl knows about a curve ball is he couldn't hit it."

While searching for NCAA basketball coaches without NCAA playing experience, I found this 2014 article (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/around-the-league-nfl/2014/08/24/Why-NFL-coaches-rarely-rise-from-ranks-of-players/stories/201408240108) which pointed out that, among the four professional sports leagues, NFL head coaches were least likely to have played in their sport's top professional league.

- Only 6 of the 32 NFL head coaches in 2014 played in the NFL.
- The NBA was next; 13 of 30 head coaches having played in the NBA.
- MLB was at the other end of the spectrum; 25 of 30 managers having played in the majors.

I know I have taken this thread off topic. So, in an attempt to somehow link this post to the thread's original question, I will say that, despite being a Pittsburgh Steeler fan, I would somehow be OK with seeing Bill Belichick as a Duke assistant coach in the future. I don't expect he knows much about college basketball, but can you imagine the amount of irrational hate spewed towards a team coached by both Coach K and Belichick? :D

On second thought, I would probably prefer Steve Spurrier over Belichick. Belichick can have the video coordinator job. :rolleyes: