PDA

View Full Version : Nate James interviews with LaSalle?

FerryFor50
04-07-2018, 05:02 PM
When it rains, it pours...

https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/982721702550474753?s=21

fuse
04-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Goodman reporting Nate James interviewing for the head coaching position at La Salle.

sagegrouse
04-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Goodman reporting Nate James interviewing for the head coaching position at La Salle.

Tough neighborhood, isn't it, of North Philadelphia? Like "Water off a duck's back" for our man Nate.

La Salle, at least, has an NCAA championship -- Bob Gola's 1954 team.

Kindly,
Sage
'BTW, it appears the name is formed with a space -- "La Salle"'

devildeac
04-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Guess you could says he's explorering his options.

But, "I'm Not Going to Jinx It."

subzero02
04-07-2018, 05:27 PM

I want to see Shane Battier on our bench...

jimsumner
04-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Tough neighborhood, isn't it, of North Philadelphia? Like "Water off a duck's back" for our man Nate.

Kindly,
Sage

Tom Gola.

They also made it to the 1955 title game but lost to Bill Russell and San Francisco.

They've had some occasional runs to relevancy since. Joe "Jelly" Bryant (Kobe's father), Ken Durrett, Michael Brooks, Lionel Simmons. They made the Sweet Sixteen as recently as 2013.

But the bad years have outnumbered the good for quite awhile, as Villanova has left the other four members of Philly's big five in the dust.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-07-2018, 06:34 PM

"...Gee our old LaSalle ran great...those were the days...."

A little on the nose I admit....it's all I got today....

Ian
04-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Hope he gets the job. One of my all time favorite players.

53n206
04-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Hope he gets the job. One of my all time favorite players.

Agree. You gotta get on base before you can score. First head coaching job important.

hallcity
04-07-2018, 09:02 PM
I would have thought that Nate could do better than Lasalle. Other Duke assistants have gone to Pitt, Marquette and Northwestern. Those are majors. Lasalle is barely a mid major.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-07-2018, 09:03 PM
It looks like Nate is a real long shot. The top choices are the top assistant at Villanova (who was once a LaSalle assistant), and former LaSalle player Tim Legler, who has never coached but has been around the game. The Hofstra coach also has ties to the school. It is great to see Nate being interviewed and considered but I'm not holding my breath.

brevity
04-07-2018, 09:13 PM
I think Nate can take him.

Reilly
04-07-2018, 09:30 PM
... Other Duke assistants have gone to Pitt, Marquette and Northwestern. Those are majors. Lasalle is barely a mid major.

And others have gone to W&M, Delaware (2x), and Fairfield (by way of SHU assistantship). As well Stanford and Seton Hall and Missouri.

BD80
04-07-2018, 10:32 PM
It looks like Nate is a real long shot. ... I'm not holding my breath.

I dunno. Would you want to be the one to say: "no" to Nate James?

At the very least, it gets his name out there as a potential head coach, and it gives him experience going through the interview process.

SoCalDukeFan
04-08-2018, 12:46 AM

Kindly,
Sage

Tom Gola was a great player.

SoCal

fuse
04-08-2018, 09:08 AM
I dunno. Would you want to be the one to say: "no" to Nate James?

At the very least, it gets his name out there as a potential head coach, and it gives him experience going through the interview process.

I can’t spork you, and this is beyond super sporktacular.

duke74
04-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Ashley Howard just announced as LaSalle coach per ESPN scroll during Jordan BB game.

dyedwab
04-09-2018, 11:10 AM
I think this is still great for Nate. I may not be remembering others, but isn't this the first time Nate's name has been associated with a head coaching job? (My view is you got to walk before you run, few guys get the first job they interview for, and it puts Nate in the mix as a potential head coaching candidate in the future)

mgtr
04-09-2018, 11:21 AM
I remember in Newreels (some time ago) when they would talk about Tom Gola at La Salle, and also about CCNY (now CUNY) for basketball sports news. Dates me.

sagegrouse
04-09-2018, 03:30 PM
I remember in Newreels (some time ago) when they would talk about Tom Gola at La Salle, and also about CCNY (now CUNY) for basketball sports news. Dates me.

Hah!! And I listened to the game on the radio when Duke lost the regional final in Charlotte in 1960 to the NYU Violets. Violets? Yep.

hallcity
04-09-2018, 04:28 PM
The thing that makes me wonder is that we only heard about James looking for another job AFTER he and Scheyer were designated Associate Head Coaches. Was he trying for other jobs before that and we just didn't hear about it? Did something happen after Jeff Capel left that made James decide to start looking for another job? Usually, if a college basketball coach wants to look for another job, he makes his interest known by the time of the Final Four because that's when a lot of jobs get filled.