PDA

View Full Version : Duke basketball related podcasts

DukeDevil
04-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Given the several Duke based or related podcasts out there (shout out to the DBR podcast) with regards to former players, I thought it would be cool to have a thread related to interesting things people heard in them. I didn't really see a single thread for this upstream. As I notice now, there's The J.J. Redick Podcast, #Holdat with Carlos Boozer and Nate Robinson, and The Offseason with Jon Scheyer (which I hope continues).

To kick things off: Boozer was asked who he would pick for a team from Duke history (with regards to their college game, not how they played/improved/regressed in the pros) and what their record would be playing a full NBA season against NBA teams. He chose J Will, JJ (although Nate Robinson whispered "don't forget about Kyrie"), Hill at the 3, himself at the 4, and Elton Brand (although he thought seriously about Christian Laettner), with Marvin Bagley off the bench. I feel very torn in trying to pick people...but I can't fault him in that I think those 5 could probably win some games. He called a 50-30 record although he admits it could easily be 30-50.

Also, get out there and show some love to our guys! Subscribe/rate/etc! (felt appropriate to plug that since I'm stealing their thunder some for this thread).

-jk
04-05-2018, 02:20 AM
“although he thought seriously about Christian Laettner”...

Oops. Oh, well.

-jk

WHOneedsSOX
04-05-2018, 03:02 AM
Don't know where to post this.

Was rewatching Duke-UNC at home and near the end of the game Allen got fouled O'Connell ran on the court thinking it was a time out. Allen, Bagley, and Coach K were yelling at him to get off. Next dead ball there was a timeout and O'Connell went up to Coach K and put his hands on his shoulders and probably apologized. Kid has courage. Man, if I did that I'd be hiding at the end of the bench.

Dev11
04-05-2018, 12:13 PM
I listened to Boozer tell the story of when Prince rented his house in Los Angeles. It was amazing. It's in the episode with Michael Rappaport. I don't otherwise listen to his show, but that story was good.

DukeDevil
04-05-2018, 12:21 PM
I listened to Boozer tell the story of when Prince rented his house in Los Angeles. It was amazing. It's in the episode with Michael Rappaport. I don't otherwise listen to his show, but that story was good.

It's not my favorite. It's one of those I only listen to if I'm on a long drive and get tired of music and I'm all caught up on other podcasts. (i.e. I'm waiting on a new DBR podcast. *ahem* *ahem* - *looks at watch*). A lot of it is Nate Robinson complaining he didn't get a fair shake in the NBA, and that gets old. I do appreciate the occasional nuggets by Booze though. He spent some time in the most recent podcast, towards the end, talking about NBA groupies which seemed kind of funny/scary. Nate Robinson comically (bitterly) piped in that he didn't have any as he was too short to be identified as an NBA player.