PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament Finishes - How we compare

dyedwab
04-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Since it's become on topic on a number of threads, I'm posting this spreadsheet I put together last year and just updated which includes where the season ended for us and a number of teams with which we compete. It's a useful baseline for conversations about the models of recruiting, how we performed, how other performed.

I took it back to 2010-2011, which I view as our first OAD year. And I made no clear process for teams I selected - just teams I thought that were interesting. I should probably add Gonzage and Michigan. Anyway, use as you see fit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a3eWI7aphLYp7ty90RBe8EOxPwIBpjX_EcTkITIJNz4/edit?usp=sharing

-jk
04-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Since it's become on topic on a number of threads, I'm posting this spreadsheet I put together last year and just updated which includes where the season ended for us and a number of teams with which we compete. It's a useful baseline for conversations about the models of recruiting, how we performed, how other performed.

I took it back to 2010-2011, which I view as our first OAD year. And I made no clear process for teams I selected - just teams I thought that were interesting. I should probably add Gonzage and Michigan. Anyway, use as you see fit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a3eWI7aphLYp7ty90RBe8EOxPwIBpjX_EcTkITIJNz4/edit?usp=sharing

Um... Nova has 2 ncaas. Haven't looked closely at anything else, though.

Fun table. You could have started it in 2010...

-jk

Truth&Justise
04-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Interesting stuff, but your choice of cut-off date will have a big impact. Going back just one more season would really alter the numbers for Duke.

dyedwab
04-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Um... Nova has 2 ncaas. Haven't looked closely at anything else, though.

Fun table. You could have started it in 2010...

-jk

Yep. Bad typo on my part :-)

dyedwab
04-04-2018, 07:14 PM
Interesting stuff, but your choice of cut-off date will have a big impact. Going back just one more season would really alter the numbers for Duke.

Agreed. I chose 2010-2011 because it was, in my mind, our first OAD, But, yeah, to go back one more would be good :-)

CDu
04-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Needs some editing work, as (for example) UNC is listed as being without any titles. Also, we either have 2 Final Fours (if cumulative with Champs from 2009-10 to today) or none (if exclusive).

dyedwab
04-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Needs some editing work, as (for example) UNC is listed as being without any titles. Also, we either have 2 Final Fours (if cumulative with Champs from 2009-10 to today) or none (if exclusive).

yeah. Fixed a couple of those. The numbers are where the errors and I think I cleaned them up. The final dispositions are all correct.

Interesting to me was that, in the years that 'Nova didn't win the National Title, they have been an early out

TruBlu
04-04-2018, 08:04 PM

Well, unc should have been without any titles if there is any justice in the world.

Lennies
04-05-2018, 01:54 AM
Interesting to me was that, in the years that 'Nova didn't win the National Title, they have been an early out

Nova lost in the second round in 2014 to the eventual champion (UConn).

MarkD83
04-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the table and all of the edits.

I now know why I really enjoyed 2009-10. Can we do that again for the next few years.

DukieInKansas
04-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the table and all of the edits.

I now know why I really enjoyed 2009-10. Can we do that again for the next few years.

Seeing Duke National Champions and unc NIT Finals is a nice thing. I would suggest a petty edit - NIT Runners Up. :D