PDA

View Full Version : End of NCAA Season Wrapup

Saratoga2
04-03-2018, 09:11 AM
I would like to state my appreciation for the work of the moderators and the generally high quality of posts on the various threads throughout the season. It has been quite a ride.

UVA was the deserved ACC champion and Villanova took the tourney. Both are deserving programs and are very well coached. Hats off to them and perhaps we can learn from them and some of the takeaways after they displayed their quality.

I had hgh hopes for Duke this year. With a great recruiting class and Grayson returning, we looked like a team with final four possibilities. Getting a front court of Bagley and Carter was a real coup and with Bolden back who might start, we had an imposing front court and with Delaurier as an athletic defender the depth was better than I have seen in years. White and Vrank gave us even more incredible depth.

The back court looked strong with Grayson leading a top quality PG in Duval and Trent as a SG/Wing. Depth in the back court looked questionable with O'Connell and Goldwire the subs. We had to hope that we would be largely free of injury this season.

Another concern was the OAD aspect of the team being inexperienced and going into a league where the speede, physicality and size would be different than some of the kids had previously experienced.

Well, we were fortunate to avoid catostrophic injuries and only susstained an undiswclosed injury to Bagley, a few rolled ankles and wrist sprains along with an occasional cold. Pretty lucky in that regard.

The lack of experience showed up more with Duke turning the ball over on ill advised passes and questionable shots. That had to be expected with young kids but even Grayson was guilty of that kind of miscue, though less frequently. It was on the defensive side where the inexperience was mostly felt. The team was just unable to get Duke's MTM principled defense down well enough to use it effectively and coach K finally went to a zone. That worked well, however the open space in the zone was used against us as we were slow to react by having a guy drop down to cover the man in the top of the key area. Once we did, the zone improved. Also, others may not agree, but we did not cover the corner 3 that well and several teams hurt us from there including Kansas who alsoo used a screener to open the corner even more.

I thought throughout the year we had a habit of coming out flat in the second half and not scoring. That put us in the posiition of having to mount a furious comeback, which we weren't always able to do as our end of game efforts appeared to be not intelligent. Too many close losses.

We did make the Great 8 and that was an accomplishment but it would have been interesting to see us against Villanova. They were the cream of the crop this season and while we might have given them more trouble than Kansas, they looked like the team of destiny.

Could we learn from Virginia or Villanova?

Virginia used the pack line defense very effectively this year. The defense is easier to learn than the Duke MTM version but you need the right players to make it work. It's hard to penetrate and they send a defender up tight on the man with the ball and help off on him, switching as the ball moves. They have an advantage on defensive rebounds but tend toget back quickly to set up their defense and that reduces their offensive rebounds. On offense they looped underneath and around double screens to put their 3 point shooters in a position to make 3's. They had that talent and it was enough to win the ACC and may well be again.

Villanova was an experienced team with Brunson and Divencenzo being tough guys to defend and smart players. They did use a freshman big who is 6'9" but strong and athletic. They used full MTM and switched on every play, even though they often wound up with a smaller player onn a big. It worked for them as their defense was solid and they seemed to be quick to box out and quick to the rebounds. One of their big strengths is that all their starters are capable of hitting an open three and their guards don't pick up their dribble and are looking for the open man for a three. Michigan last night was a premier defensive team, yet Villanova still hit a bunch of threes and got to or around the basket enough to beat them by nearly 20. i had the feeling it could have been more if they had chosen to keep the pressure on. My view is that they continue to develop young players who will fit the system next year and they will be strong again. Three freshmen played for them and all three could play.

Don't know what we can learn from that with our OADs coming again. Maybe some of our starting players will return but if not, we need to be developing O'Connell and DeLaurier and possibly Goldwire to be more effective role players and somehow work with the youngsters on the defensive principles early. Will we have good 3 point shooting? Don't know on that one, but se will have a great deal of talent again. Hope coach K can mold them into a final 4 quality team.

rsvman
04-03-2018, 09:59 AM
Good summary. I have no doubt that Coach K can mold next year's class into a Final Four quality team. Heck, this year's team was a Final Four quality team that just happened to not make the Final Four.

CDu
04-03-2018, 10:07 AM
It was a calendar year of almosts. We almost lost Bolden to transfer/early-entry. We then lost Jackson, who almost went in the first round. We almost went to the Dominican Republic for a team-building tour. We almost started the Fall semester without Bagley (okay, that one's a stretch ;)). We started the season by almost losing to Texas and Florida, but our guys showed enough resolve to get it done. Then we almost completed several comeback wins (BC, NC State, UVa, UNC). THen we almost hung on to beat Va Tech at Va Tech. We almost survived Duval's injury against UNC in the ACC tournament. And, finally, we almost beat Kansas.

Unfortunately, too many of those almosts came up short from our perspective. If Duval doesn't get roll his ankle on a fluke play off ball in transition, we probably beat UNC in the tournament, and then we'd likely have been the 1 seed in the West. If Duval holds the ball and we run a play instead of chucking a 3/4 court pass into triple coverage, we perhaps beat UVa in Cameron, which would likely have also helped us to a 1 seed. Even with that 2 seed, if Allen's shot is one inch shorter or longer, we reach the Final Four (or if Allen or Trent hits just one more 3 during the game, or Carter scores in the final minute of regulation), we probably win.

Unfortunately, those things didn't happen. And this team went from being a team that had an uncanny ability to find a way to win early in the season turned into a team that, more often than not, came up short in close games. It was a group that could never quite figure out how to maximize its immense talents, perhaps in part because they didn't quite mesh perfectly. We probably could have used Kennard instead of Allen on the perimeter, as Kennard was a bit more able to score in traffic, and was a bit more reliable from 3 as a sophomore than Allen was as a junior and senior. Still, it was a top-3 team that fell just inches short of fullfilling that status in the tournament.

As for next year, I'm not sure that this season offers much learning opportunity. The composition of the team will be completely different. We'll be a bunch of 6'6"-6'8" guys paired with a PG and two 6'10"/6'11" guys. I would expect us to look defensively more like Villanova, with lots of switching on ball screens. Some small ball will be in store with Williamson or DeLaurier at the 5. We won't likely look like Villanova offensively, because we won't likely have the plethora of shooters that Nova had. So it'll be a matter of making sure we can find ways to keep the defense from packing the lane.

And I don't think there's much to learn from UVa, as the strength of the pack line defense is that it has mostly 3-5-year guys playing it. It's not an easy defense to learn and play well in, either. And its biggest weakness is defending the 3pt shot, which is arguably the single thing we've worked hardest to prevent over the years.

I expect that we'll be a top-3 ACC team again next year, but not likely #1 as I expect we'll drop a few too many early in the year. I think we'll stand a strong chance in the ACC tourney though. And I expect we'll be a strong contender to make the Final Four and potentially win a title. Just like we were this year. Only hopefully next year we'll do a little better in converting those "almosts" into successes.

moonpie23
04-03-2018, 10:09 AM
i felt like the focal point all year was defense.....even tho we found some towards the end of the season, in the end, Kansas out-rebounded us, and we turned back into the team we had been all year......

I know we were a play away from going, but we shouldn't have been.......

i'm optimistic for next season....

jv001
04-03-2018, 10:18 AM
It was a calendar year of almosts. We almost lost Bolden to transfer/early-entry. We then lost Jackson, who almost went in the first round. We almost went to the Dominican Republic for a team-building tour. We almost started the Fall semester without Bagley (okay, that one's a stretch ;)). We started the season by almost losing to Texas and Florida, but our guys showed enough resolve to get it done. Then we almost completed several comeback wins (BC, NC State, UVa, UNC). THen we almost hung on to beat Va Tech at Va Tech. We almost survived Duval's injury against UNC in the ACC tournament. And, finally, we almost beat Kansas.

Unfortunately, too many of those almosts came up short from our perspective. If Duval doesn't get roll his ankle on a fluke play off ball in transition, we probably beat UNC in the tournament, and then we'd likely have been the 1 seed in the West. If Duval holds the ball and we run a play instead of chucking a 3/4 court pass into triple coverage, we perhaps beat UVa in Cameron, which would likely have also helped us to a 1 seed. Even with that 2 seed, if Allen's shot is one inch shorter or longer, we reach the Final Four (or if Allen or Trent hits just one more 3 during the game, or Carter scores in the final minute of regulation), we probably win.

Unfortunately, those things didn't happen. And this team went from being a team that had an uncanny ability to find a way to win early in the season turned into a team that, more often than not, came up short in close games. It was a group that could never quite figure out how to maximize its immense talents, perhaps in part because they didn't quite mesh perfectly. We probably could have used Kennard instead of Allen on the perimeter, as Kennard was a bit more able to score in traffic, and was a bit more reliable from 3 as a sophomore than Allen was as a junior and senior. Still, it was a top-3 team that fell just inches short of fullfilling that status in the tournament.

As for next year, I'm not sure that this season offers much learning opportunity. The composition of the team will be completely different. We'll be a bunch of 6'6"-6'8" guys paired with a PG and two 6'10"/6'11" guys. I would expect us to look defensively more like Villanova, with lots of switching on ball screens. Some small ball will be in store with Williamson or DeLaurier at the 5. We won't likely look like Villanova offensively, because we won't likely have the plethora of shooters that Nova had. So it'll be a matter of making sure we can find ways to keep the defense from packing the lane.

And I don't think there's much to learn from UVa, as the strength of the pack line defense is that it has mostly 3-5-year guys playing it. It's not an easy defense to learn and play well in, either. And its biggest weakness is defending the 3pt shot, which is arguably the single thing we've worked hardest to prevent over the years.

I expect that we'll be a top-3 ACC team again next year, but not likely #1 as I expect we'll drop a few too many early in the year. I think we'll stand a strong chance in the ACC tourney though. And I expect we'll be a strong contender to make the Final Four and potentially win a title. Just like we were this year. Only hopefully next year we'll do a little better in converting those "almosts" into successes.

I agree with 99% of your post. I'll just say that what we would have gained with Kennard over Allen on offense, we would have lost on defense. The zone would have been weaker and the man2man would have been a total disaster. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
04-03-2018, 12:10 PM
i felt like the focal point all year was defense....even tho we found some towards the end of the season, in the end, Kansas out-rebounded us, and we turned back into the team we had been all year...

I know we were a play away from going, but we shouldn't have been....

i'm optimistic for next season...

So, what is going to happen, moonpie? You already know, right? :D