PDA

View Full Version : How Stupid is Michael Jordan?

BD80
04-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Hornets are bringing in Kupchak:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hornets-reportedly-offer-general-manager-position-to-former-lakers-executive-mitch-kupchak/

He did such a great job with the Lakers once Kobe burned out ...

superdave
04-02-2018, 03:51 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/hornets-reportedly-offer-general-manager-position-to-former-lakers-executive-mitch-kupchak/

Jordan may be trading Kemba for spare parts - just wait until the Cavs dangle the 8 pick and JR Smith in front of MJ this June!!!

devildeac
04-02-2018, 04:06 PM

This wasn't enough?

HereBeforeCoachK
04-02-2018, 04:53 PM
He kinda answered that question with "the ceiling is the roof" speech...

Steven43
04-02-2018, 05:11 PM
He kinda answered that question with "the ceiling is the roof" speech...

Exactly. Mike does not appear to be a particularly savvy basketball executive. Perhaps if he had to attend classes at UNC and actually achieve a LEGITIMATE 2.5 GPA or higher he might have permanently increased his brainpower. But alas, he did not.

MartyClark
04-02-2018, 05:29 PM
How stupid is Michael Jordan? I don't think he is very bright. Parenthetically, one of my nephews from Chicago is a tough man. Former professional fighter, got injured and became a bouncer/server in a high end, suburban Chicago steakhouse. He knows MJ well from the back room poker parties/bacchanals in the back room. He has many interesting stories about MJ, none of which are fit for a family oriented webstie.

Mitch Kupchak? Maybe I am not remembering his early tenure at the Lakers well but I thought he was a pretty good G.M. initially. The Lakers organization had all sorts of ownership and other problems but I thought he was successful and highly regarded for a while.

Although I hate it when facts get in the way of my opinions, I'm interested in contrary opinions.

jv001
04-02-2018, 07:38 PM
How stupid is Michael Jordan? I don't think he is very bright. Parenthetically, one of my nephews from Chicago is a tough man. Former professional fighter, got injured and became a bouncer/server in a high end, suburban Chicago steakhouse. He knows MJ well from the back room poker parties/bacchanals in the back room. He has many interesting stories about MJ, none of which are fit for a family oriented webstie.

Mitch Kupchak? Maybe I am not remembering his early tenure at the Lakers well but I thought he was a pretty good G.M. initially. The Lakers organization had all sorts of ownership and other problems but I thought he was successful and highly regarded for a while.

Although I hate it when facts get in the way of my opinions, I'm interested in contrary opinions.

Some people that were close to the Cheat program once told me that MJ thought of himself as a near scratch golfer. However he was nearer to a 12-15 handicaper. It was routine for the guys that MJ played with(hustlers) to let him win a few holes or even matches. Then the bets would go way up and they would take him for a ride. They said he wasn't the smartest cookie in the bakery. Not surprising the way he runs the Hornets. GoDuke!

PackMan97
04-02-2018, 09:25 PM
He's smart enough to take his god given talent and bouncing and shooting a round ball into a basket into more money then I'll ever see in my lifetime. He's smart enough not to have blown that money and seems to be doing fairly well with it all.

He is at the very least far "smarter" than many of his fellow NBA players who waste their money, do stuff dumb enough to shorten their careers and in general have zero accomplishments and no money after the game passes them by.

The real indictment of MJ's intelligence is that he was not smart enough to go to Duke or State ;)

MartyClark
04-02-2018, 09:31 PM
He's smart enough to take his god given talent and bouncing and shooting a round ball into a basket into more money then I'll ever see in my lifetime. He's smart enough not to have blown that money and seems to be doing fairly well with it all.

He is at the very least far "smarter" than many of his fellow NBA players who waste their money, do stuff dumb enough to shorten their careers and in general have zero accomplishments and no money after the game passes them by.

The real indictment of MJ's intelligence is that he was not smart enough to go to Duke or State ;)

Yeah, good points.

He made so much money during his playing career, through salary and endorsements, that 99.9% of us would have generational wealth. To his credit, he didn't blow it all as many pro athletes do.

53n206
04-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Sure as hell not dumb. Took his talent to the highest level. Other than what has been reported as a gambling problem (which he seemingly could afford) he has stayed out of trouble. Also has, for an athlete of his magnitude, stayed below the press radar. Yes, not Duke, but as good as can otherwise be..

Matches
04-03-2018, 10:22 AM
I don't think MJ is dumb by any means, but player evaluation has never been a strong suit of his. I'm not even talking about Kwame - everyone wanted him - but the Hornets drafting over the years has been abysmal and it's always seemed he was taking a heavy hand in making those decisions. Maybe he'll get out of Kupchak's way. The Hornets are a complete mess and need a top-down rebuild.

left_hook_lacey
04-03-2018, 10:25 AM
I don't think MJ is dumb by any means, but player evaluation has never been a strong suit of his. I'm not even talking about Kwame - everyone wanted him - but the Hornets drafting over the years has been abysmal and it's always seemed he was taking a heavy hand in making those decisions. Maybe he'll get out of Kupchak's way. The Hornets are a complete mess and need a top-down rebuild.

I agree with this. It sounds like Michael is finally realizing he needs help, and he is confiding in someone he knows and trusts that also has experience, to help the Hornets get on track. Should be interesting this off season. We'll know soon enough if this was a good move or another blunder.

Jeffrey
04-03-2018, 10:54 AM
Some people that were close to the Cheat program once told me that MJ thought of himself as a near scratch golfer. However he was nearer to a 12-15 handicaper.

MJ never shot in the mid-80's. All UNC records clearly show he always shot in the 70's.

Jeffrey
04-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Absolutely, he is much smarter than Pippen.

rsvman
04-03-2018, 11:05 AM
When it comes to Michael Jordan's stupidity, the ceiling is the roof.

As far as golfing is concerned, I think he was probably closer to about a 6 or a 7, but suffered from delusions of grandeur.

CDu
04-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Yeah, Jordan has done quite well for himself financially off the court. He seems to have pretty darn good business sense: you don't wind up an owner of a major professional sports team by being dumb.

But he's always been a poor talent evaluator, and has never really seemed to have the temperament for managing a team. And it often has to do with his affection for UNC. He was pissed that the Bulls drafted Scottie Pippen over former UNC player Joe Wolf, for example. Later, he traded a young Richard Hamilton to the Pistons for Jerry Stackhouse. Sports management seems to be the one glaring weakness for Jordan, as he hasn't been able to translate his business success elsewhere into NBA success in the front office - either as a GM or owner.

That being said, I don't know whether Kupchak is a good or bad hire. I think a lot of what went down in LA had to do with the man above Kupchak (Jim Buss). I think Kupchak did a pretty decent job in building around Bryant after the O'Neal/Bryant relationship faded. Unfortunately, towards the end, the management got in a bit of a power struggle, and the team didn't do a good job of managing the end of Bryant's career (as opposed to, say, the way Boston handled the near-end of Garnett/Pierce/Rondo's careers).

TruBlu
04-03-2018, 11:23 AM
MJ was a pretty good golfer. I once played a round of golf with him, by accident. A friend (a State fan) and I showed up at a course with no T time. They were only letting foursomes play, so they had us wait for another twosome to show up. MJ and Walter Davis showed up.

I was impressed with their patience with us, cause we were terrible golfers. Of course, him waiting for us to take futile swipes at the ball gave him plenty of time to graciously sign autographs for the other folks on the course.

(My friend and I would not give in and ask for autographs. It’s against Duke and NCSU code to get autographs from unc athletes.)

jacone21
04-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Man I thought this was going to be a list of "he so stupid" jokes.

You know... like...

He so stupid he thinks Spotify is a stain remover.
He so stupid when someone said it was chilly outside, he ran out with a bowl and spoon.
He so stupid he stares at boxes of frozen orange juice because it says concentrate.

4Gen
04-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Years ago. Jordan said in an interview that he was considering the PGA tour post basketball, about which Payne Stewart said--I'll be starting center for the Knicks before Jordan is on the PGA tour.

jv001
04-03-2018, 04:32 PM
MJ was a pretty good golfer. I once played a round of golf with him, by accident. A friend (a State fan) and I showed up at a course with no T time. They were only letting foursomes play, so they had us wait for another twosome to show up. MJ and Walter Davis showed up.

I was impressed with their patience with us, cause we were terrible golfers. Of course, him waiting for us to take futile swipes at the ball gave him plenty of time to graciously sign autographs for the other folks on the course.

(My friend and I would not give in and ask for autographs. It’s against Duke and NCSU code to get autographs from unc athletes.)

You could be excused from getting Walter Davis' autograph. GoDuke!

CDu
04-03-2018, 04:42 PM
Years ago. Jordan said in an interview that he was considering the PGA tour post basketball, about which Payne Stewart said--I'll be starting center for the Knicks before Jordan is on the PGA tour.

Jordan never lacked for confidence in his athletic abilities. For better (NBA greatness) or worse (baseball, bad golf bets).

JNort
04-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Jordan may be trading Kemba for spare parts - just wait until the Cavs dangle the 8 pick and JR Smith in front of MJ this June!!!

I can only dream that Jordan is smart enough to do that. Hopefully throw in Batum as well and grab a cheaper player from the Cavs.

JNort
04-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Sure as hell not dumb. Took his talent to the highest level. Other than what has been reported as a gambling problem (which he seemingly could afford) he has stayed out of trouble. Also has, for an athlete of his magnitude, stayed below the press radar. Yes, not Duke, but as good as can otherwise be..

Well to be fair it doesn't even take average intelligence to do any of those things.

rocketeli
04-03-2018, 06:01 PM
being a fantastic athlete means having a fantastic neural organization, which means amazing athletes are seldom stupid, and it is Jordan's drive, ability to delay gratification, work hard and plan that made him a superstar--all signs of intelligence. Athletes, including dancers, are often not "intellectual" in a verbal/ writer's sense, which sometimes contributes to the stereotype that they are unintelligent. Jordan has a huge ego and a huge blind spot for UNC though, which are probably not helpful in his current job. I have heard plenty of stories about his partying ability, but it doesn't seem to have done anyone any harm, except in hangovers and lost bets by Mr. Jordan.

DinoDuke
04-03-2018, 06:15 PM
That Carolina connection

JetpackJesus
04-03-2018, 07:39 PM

The first couple sentences just make me think of MJ's Stuart Smalley sketch on SNL (https://youtu.be/xNx_gU57gQ4).

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2018, 01:44 AM
Jordan did want the Bulls to draft Johnny Dawkins over Brad Sellers in 1986, so his personnel decisions aren’t all bad.

killerleft
04-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Jordan did want the Bulls to draft Johnny Dawkins over Brad Sellers in 1986, so his personnel decisions aren’t all bad.

According to Wiki (I know) GM Jerry Krause wanted Sellars, while Jordan and others wanted Dawkins. Krause took Sellers.

gus
04-04-2018, 11:06 AM
I wonder what Jordan's opinion is on the Earth's morphology?

JNort
04-04-2018, 12:08 PM
I wonder what Jordan's opinion is on the Earth's morphology?

It's round but the atmosphere is the roof... possibly also the ceiling but now I'm splitting hairs.

NashvilleDevil
04-04-2018, 01:04 PM
According to Wiki (I know) GM Jerry Krause wanted Sellars, while Jordan and others wanted Dawkins. Krause took Sellers.

I remember reading about it in Halberstam’s book on Jordan.