PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Notre Dame 91, UConn 89, OT

sagegrouse
03-31-2018, 12:07 AM
Most exciting game ever? Mebbe so. ND has a five-point lead with 20.1 seconds in regulation. Game over, right? Nope. UConn ties on a three and a steal.

ND has a five-point lead with 44 seconds left in OT. UConn ties it with 15 seconds left on a long three. ND's Arike Ogunbowale makes a jumper near the three-point line with 1.0 seconds left -- ny-LON!

OZ
03-31-2018, 12:12 AM
A valuable lesson learned... In sports as in life...NOTHING is GUARANTEED!

uh_no
03-31-2018, 12:15 AM

A valuable lesson learned: I hate basketball.

Stray Gator
03-31-2018, 12:29 AM
Definitely the greatest women's college basketball game I've seen -- and I didn't tune in until late in the third quarter, when I saw that the score was close. From there, the game went back and forth until late in the fourth quarter, when UConn opened up a 7-point lead that looked like it might be enough to hold up. But Notre Dame fought back and took a 5-point lead with only 21 seconds left, which I (and most everyone in the arena, or so it appeared) thought would be curtains for UConn. Then, incredibly, UConn hit a three-pointer and five seconds later stole an Irish inbounds pass for a floor-length layup that tied the score and sent the game to overtime. A similar sequence of events unfolded in the last minute of overtime. Notre Dame took a 5-point lead with 44 seconds remaining; but UConn hit a jumper, then after two missed free throws by Notre Dame, UConn made a three-pointer to tie the score with 29 seconds remaining. But this time, Notre Dame hit a jumper with 2 seconds left in the game to win it. Truly a remarkable game played at a very high level by both teams.

dudog84
03-31-2018, 01:01 AM
"guaranteed national championship"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

uh_no
03-31-2018, 01:05 AM
But this time, Notre Dame hit a jumper with 2 seconds left in the game to win it.

it was closer to 1. and uconn still ended up with a good look to tie it at the buzzer.

i'd have enjoyed the game if i didn't hate basketball.

juise
03-31-2018, 03:11 AM
Definitely the greatest women's college basketball game I've seen --

I hope you didn’t miss out on... this (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=240030041).

brevity
03-31-2018, 03:23 AM
The mods might want to change this thread to a general WBB Final Four thread, because this just got interesting. (And where's the MBB Final Four thread? It starts in 15 hours.)

Personally, I can't relax and enjoy the women's NCAA Tournament until UConn loses. The sport could be squeaky clean, but something about the inevitability of the Huskies makes it feel fixed to me. I watch competitions, not coronations.

The championship game between Notre Dame and Mississippi State (Sunday, 6pm ET on ESPN) is now appointment viewing.

Jim3k
03-31-2018, 03:24 AM
i'd have enjoyed the game if i didn't hate basketball.

LOL. That's the funniest thing you have ever said on the DBR. Can please you repeat the effort?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-31-2018, 07:07 AM

Valuable lesson to Leonard Hamilton too....DONT QUIT

By the way Miss State will beat Notre Dame for the title.....a reverse of last year when MSU took out UCONN and SC beat MSU two days later. Watch and see.

chrishoke
03-31-2018, 07:49 AM
Azura failed to get her transfer championship.

dukelifer
03-31-2018, 08:10 AM
Most exciting game ever? Mebbe so. ND has a five-point lead with 20.1 seconds in regulation. Game over, right? Nope. UConn ties on a three and a steal.

ND has a five-point lead with 44 seconds left in OT. UConn ties it with 15 seconds left on a long three. ND's Arike Ogunbowale makes a jumper near the three-point line with 1.0 seconds left -- ny-LON!

Okay- UConn fans- made it to the FF. Was this a great season? It is all relative.

drummerdevil
03-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Stayed up to watch the game because I didn’t want UConn to win... was not disappointed! There were two stellar games yesterday and I expect one heck of a final!

CameronBornAndBred
03-31-2018, 10:24 AM

And has another year to get denied. That championship was "guaranteed", right?

Wander
03-31-2018, 10:43 AM
A valuable lesson learned: I hate basketball.

Yeah, I'm sure life is really hard as a fan of the most dominant team in American sports. This loss must sting just as bad as UVA's tournament loss this year.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2018, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I'm sure life is really hard as a fan of the most dominant team in American sports. This loss must sting just as bad as UVA's tournament loss this year.

No need to pile onto a fellow Duke fan. We all know how much season ending losses are painful for a fan base.

I am sure there are many who were as overjoyed by our loss as people were about UCONN.

Wander
03-31-2018, 12:59 PM
No need to pile onto a fellow Duke fan. We all know how much season ending losses are painful for a fan base.

I am sure there are many who were as overjoyed by our loss as people were about UCONN.

Snarkier than I meant it to come across. Sorry uh no!

duke09hms
03-31-2018, 03:00 PM
And has another year to get denied. That championship was "guaranteed", right?

Well, she got her guaranteed Final Four, which hasn't happened at Duke for a long time. And has another year for a championship.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-31-2018, 04:08 PM

Oh, I'm sure there were a hundred Duke haters overjoyed by our loss for every one Huskie hater - of which I don't know how many there are. I mean, is that even a thing? Hating Duke is a thing, and has been since 1992.

Kedsy
03-31-2018, 04:58 PM
Well, she got her guaranteed Final Four, which hasn't happened at Duke for a long time. And has another year for a championship.

But if she'd stayed at Duke and teamed with Lexie and Becca, she would have had a pretty good chance of making the Final Four then, too. The lure of UConn was the supposedly guaranteed title.

dudog84
03-31-2018, 05:59 PM
But if she'd stayed at Duke and teamed with Lexie and Becca, she would have had a pretty good chance of making the Final Four then, too. The lure of UConn was the supposedly guaranteed title.

Exactly Kedsy. What do the DWBB haters think would have happened last year with a backcourt of Kyra, Becca, and Lexie and a frontcourt of Azura, Leaonna, Oderah, and Kendall? This year a backcourt of Becca and Lexie and a frontcourt of Azura, Leaonna, and Erin. We were behind UConn by 20 most of the game. UConn had 6 contributors, take Azura away from them and give us her 19 and 10 (what she averaged as a soph) and that's a different outcome.

I'll never deny anyone what they want to do with their life, but I'll never have warm feelings for Azura. An average of the 4 recruiting services had her as the 40th best recruit in high school, and we turned her into the 3rd best player in her class (behind only Aja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell). I'll bet Geno never even looked at her. Leaving and saying she wanted "player development" and a "guaranteed national championship" was a slap in the face to her teammates and our program. That's why I give Coach P a pass on her comments, I would have said worse. She would have made us a better team, but good riddance.

duke74
03-31-2018, 06:16 PM
Exactly Kedsy. What do the DWBB haters think would have happened last year with a backcourt of Kyra, Becca, and Lexie and a frontcourt of Azura, Leaonna, Oderah, and Kendall? This year a backcourt of Becca and Lexie and a frontcourt of Azura, Leaonna, and Erin. We were behind UConn by 20 most of the game. UConn had 6 contributors, take Azura away from them and give us her 19 and 10 (what she averaged as a soph) and that's a different outcome.

I'll never deny anyone what they want to do with their life, but I'll never have warm feelings for Azura. An average of the 4 recruiting services had her as the 40th best recruit in high school, and we turned her into the 3rd best player in her class (behind only Aja Wilson and Kelsey Mitchell). I'll bet Geno never even looked at her. Leaving and saying she wanted "player development" and a "guaranteed national championship" was a slap in the face to her teammates and our program. That's why I give Coach P a pass on her comments, I would have said worse. She would have made us a better team, but good riddance.

This.

“You must spread some Comments around before commenting on dudog84 again“

dudog84
04-01-2018, 11:52 AM
So who's everybody got tonight? If I had to put money on it, I'd probably go with Mississippi State. I think maybe Notre Dame has the same letdown Mississippi State had last year after beating UConn in the semifinals. I hope it's a good game. How do you beat Friday's semifinals that both went into overtime? Double overtime?

sagegrouse
04-01-2018, 12:15 PM
So who's everybody got tonight? If I had to put money on it, I'd probably go with Mississippi State. I think maybe Notre Dame has the same letdown Mississippi State had last year after beating UConn in the semifinals. I hope it's a good game. How do you beat Friday's semifinals that both went into overtime? Double overtime?

I go with Notre Dame. The Irish had the better win on Friday and oughta take care of business today.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-01-2018, 02:49 PM
I go with Notre Dame. The Irish had the better win on Friday and oughta take care of business today.

Gonna take Mississippi State....last year, they were coming off the big emotional win over UCONN while South Carolina breezed in their semi-final.....this year it's reversed....be hard for ND to play another great game after beating UCONN....and nobody knows that better than MSU.

And BTW, I do hope to be wrong......but I feel pretty safe on this one.

dudog84
04-01-2018, 08:16 PM
And that is exactly why I don't gamble.

dukelifer
04-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Gonna take Mississippi State...last year, they were coming off the big emotional win over UCONN while South Carolina breezed in their semi-final....this year it's reversed...be hard for ND to play another great game after beating UCONN...and nobody knows that better than MSU.

And BTW, I do hope to be wrong...but I feel pretty safe on this one.

Miss State player fouled driving up the court and nothing called. Amazing

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 08:22 PM
Wow Arike Ogunbowale got a shoutout reply from Kobe on Twitter for being hero against UConn. She said getting that from Kobe made her life complete. Kobe replied to her - it's not complete. If you want to be complete and have #MambaMentality go finish the job on Sunday.

I'd say she did just that. Wow

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 08:28 PM
For Notre Dame WBB to win Natty despite 4 ACL injuries is pretty incredible.

Arike might get a statue on campus near Touchdown Jesus for Easter.

ehdg
04-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Wow what a game n stones from Arike! Miss State has to be kicking themselves as they had a foul to give. How do you not use the foul to improve chances for OT.

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 08:55 PM
Wow what a game n stones from Arike! Miss State has to be kicking themselves as they had a foul to give. How do you not use the foul to improve chances for OT.

Yep the Miss State coach was devastated. He said something to the effect of there is no excuse that they were up 5 with 1:40 to go and he couldn't get them home. "I will wear that, maybe for the rest of my career." Very tough to lose 2 National Championship games in a row.

And Hannah Storm asked a good question - "What players in history have shot or scored THE game winning shot in BOTH semifinal and championship games?" Maybe Stones not right word for WBB. But Mambamentality for sure. Wow.

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 08:59 PM
Miss State player fouled driving up the court and nothing called. Amazing

True. Morgan William was run over by Mabrey & no call. Give credit for the final shot but maybe it shouldn’t have come to that.

Pretty incredible Women's Final Four this year though.

sagegrouse
04-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Yep the Miss State coach was devastated. He said something to the effect of there is no excuse that they were up 5 with 1:40 to go and he couldn't get them home. "I will wear that, maybe for the rest of my career." Very tough to lose 2 National Championship games in a row. .

Well, how about up three and with the ball with under a minute to play?

dukelifer
04-01-2018, 09:10 PM
True. Morgan William was run over by Mabrey & no call. Give credit for the final shot but maybe it shouldn’t have come to that.

Pretty incredible Women's Final Four this year though.

Their center missed a bunny at the hoop with 30 secs or so to go. At that point I knew they had blown it.

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Well, how about up three and with the ball with under a minute to play?

Ugh for real. And with fouls to give. And a later very questionable but very crucial foul not called correctly. Too many parallels for comfort.

But Duke has won our share, and hopefully will win more. I feel for Miss State.

That's why they call it March Sadness for 67/68 teams.

dudog84
04-02-2018, 05:29 PM
You know, I kinda expected this for a while but decided not to post since I had not a hint of evidence, only a gut feeling.

Azura Stevens has declared for the WNBA draft. So it appears that a national championship wasn't really all that important to her. Neither was school.

Wonder how Geno feels about it.

jimsumner
04-02-2018, 06:37 PM
You know, I kinda expected this for a while but decided not to post since I had not a hint of evidence, only a gut feeling.

Azura Stevens has declared for the WNBA draft. So it appears that a national championship wasn't really all that important to her. Neither was school.

She's a senior. Presumably graduating next month. Taking a job in her chosen career.

How does that show that school was not important to her?

dukelifer
04-02-2018, 06:53 PM

Geno is fine. He has another freshman star ready to jump in. Getting a championship is not a given. She is healthy and likely to be drafted relatively high. In the women’s game- and ACL is not unusual.

uh_no
04-02-2018, 07:17 PM

We wish Azura nothing but the best and we're going to be there to support her in any way we can," coach Geno Auriemma said. "Z and her family have given this a lot of thought and feel this is the right time to pursue this.

bit of a different style than P, id say

OZ
04-02-2018, 08:58 PM
We wish Azura nothing but the best and we're going to be there to support her in any way we can," coach Geno Auriemma said. "Z and her family have given this a lot of thought and feel this is the right time to pursue this.

I'd say the situation is a bit different.

msdukie
04-02-2018, 10:36 PM
I hope you didn’t miss out on... this (http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=240030041).

I was at that game :) Ran into Rebecca Lobo, who was calling the game for CBS, afterwards. She was not happy. Went to dinner post-game in Hartford and the UConn players and their parents walked in They still looked shocked.

dudog84
04-03-2018, 09:22 PM
She's a senior. Presumably graduating next month. Taking a job in her chosen career.

How does that show that school was not important to her?

I made it pretty clear what I thought about Azura upthread, so I guess I'm biased. But why didn't she transfer to Stanford? They made it as far as UConn last year (national semifinals). Or even Notre Dame, who missed the Final Four last year by 1 point.

I'll stand by my assessment.

dudog84
04-03-2018, 09:25 PM

Geno: "blah blah blah". I meant I wonder how he really feels about it. Do you really think he expected to rent a player for one year? His program doesn't need to do that.

uh_no
04-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Geno: "blah blah blah". I meant I wonder how he really feels about it. Do you really think he expected to rent a player for one year? His program doesn't need to do that.

He's generally fairly honest. You can see his comments on Elena Della Donne after she left the program for an evidence of that.

jimsumner
04-04-2018, 12:20 PM
I made it pretty clear what I thought about Azura upthread, so I guess I'm biased. But why didn't she transfer to Stanford? They made it as far as UConn last year (national semifinals). Or even Notre Dame, who missed the Final Four last year by 1 point.

I'll stand by my assessment.

I guess I missed the part where you addressed her lack of commitment to academics.

I think your narrative that Duke developed her from a nobody into a star is way overstated.

I think most of us know that recruiting rankings are largely established via the summer AAU circuit. Look at the rankings for rising seniors at the end of August for both boy's and girl's and you can come pretty close to picking the McDonald's All-America team for that class.

Stevens broke a leg as a junior and not in the good-theater-sense of the term.

So, she missed the summer circuit following that season.

So, she was under-ranked by the pundits who saw her competition play but did not see her play and remained under-ranked by the same pundits who don't do their homework.

But she was healthy as a senior at Cary High School. That's a 4-A (largest classification in NC) school. She averaged 29.6 points, 18.1 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 1.8 assists per game, for a 28-4 team. She was named a Parade All-America and was ranked 23rd by HoopGurlz. which did do their homework.

Duke did a good job of developing her talents. I thought she was a future ACC POY.

But other coaches recognized those talents and she was regarded as a future star before she ever set foot on the Cameron floor.

She wasn't happy at Duke, during her sophomore season. She thought her talents could be maximized better elsewhere. I wish she would have stayed the course at Duke. But for the life of me, I don't see why anyone would carry a grudge against her for making the decision to leave, first for UConn and then for the WNBA.

Just curious. Do you have the same bias against Alexis Jones, Angela Salvadores, Sierra Calhoun, Chelsea Hopkins, Sierra Moore, et. al? Or is this just against Stevens?

Kfanarmy
04-04-2018, 02:15 PM

Yes...Didnt work out for her or UCONN. Karma

dudog84
04-10-2018, 07:03 PM
I guess I missed the part where you addressed her lack of commitment to academics.

I think your narrative that Duke developed her from a nobody into a star is way overstated.

I think most of us know that recruiting rankings are largely established via the summer AAU circuit. Look at the rankings for rising seniors at the end of August for both boy's and girl's and you can come pretty close to picking the McDonald's All-America team for that class.

Stevens broke a leg as a junior and not in the good-theater-sense of the term.

So, she missed the summer circuit following that season.

So, she was under-ranked by the pundits who saw her competition play but did not see her play and remained under-ranked by the same pundits who don't do their homework.

But she was healthy as a senior at Cary High School. That's a 4-A (largest classification in NC) school. She averaged 29.6 points, 18.1 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 1.8 assists per game, for a 28-4 team. She was named a Parade All-America and was ranked 23rd by HoopGurlz. which did do their homework.

Duke did a good job of developing her talents. I thought she was a future ACC POY.

But other coaches recognized those talents and she was regarded as a future star before she ever set foot on the Cameron floor.

She wasn't happy at Duke, during her sophomore season. She thought her talents could be maximized better elsewhere. I wish she would have stayed the course at Duke. But for the life of me, I don't see why anyone would carry a grudge against her for making the decision to leave, first for UConn and then for the WNBA.

Just curious. Do you have the same bias against Alexis Jones, Angela Salvadores, Sierra Calhoun, Chelsea Hopkins, Sierra Moore, et. al? Or is this just against Stevens?

I’ve been going back and forth on whether I should answer this, but you seemed to request a response. Also because I respect your opinion a lot, but you’ve really missed the mark here.

First, I probably will never feel warmly towards anyone that gives my alma mater a kick in the pants on their way out the door. But I wouldn’t call it a grudge. You’ve got to screw me over personally to get me there.

More to the point, so you’re saying that only 1 of the 4 recruiting services accurately evaluated Azura in high school. Well, make that 1 out of 5 because she wasn’t a McDonalds All-American. The McDonalds people got to see her as a senior. That argument just doesn’t hold water.

But let’s go with it. Accept that she was the 23rd best high school player. Our coaches still turned her into a consensus top-3 player in her class in 2 years. Please give me some examples of other players that have been developed like that by other coaching staffs. If there are any, there are certainly not many. How is that “way overstated”?

Re the other players you mention:

Alexis Jones: Her father was in a wheelchair, she was going to be out a year, I understood her going home. Do you have any info that she was unhappy? I never saw anything that suggested that. I hated that year. I really felt her and Chelsea could have delivered something special for us before they both got hurt. We were one of the top 2 teams in the country before Chelsea got hurt.

Angela Salvadores: I was always concerned about the language barrier with her. Especially after I saw interviews well into the year and she was not close to fluent. I couldn’t even imagine going to a top university under another language, so kudos to her for even trying. But I wasn’t surprised that she went back to Spain. Wish Coach P would have handled that one better.

Sierra Calhoun: She averaged 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 13 games as a freshman. Three years later she averaged 11.6 and 3.8 for Ohio State. Yeah, she really got coached up in Columbus.

Chelsea Hopkins: Didn’t really remember her, had to look up some stats. She wanted more playing time, nothing wrong with that. And then I noticed she left in 2010. She was already playing behind Jasmine Thomas, and Chelsea Gray was on the way. Talk about a no-brainer.

Sierra Moore: Another one that went home. Also probably wanted more minutes. I had lost track of her. The team she joined went 27-35 in her 2 years (she was injured all junior year) and never played in the NCAA Tournament. Maybe it was just homesickness.

Importantly, I don’t remember any of them flaming the program as they left.

Finally, part of it may be that we would have been a legit Final Four prospect each of the last 2 years with her. I know a lot of people don’t like Coach P but she probably saw that too so I give her a pass on her comments (though she should have kept it to herself). Especially when Azura said she was looking for player development. What a slap after what had been done for her.

She could have been a star that led her team to new heights, probably gotten her jersey retired, been a legend. Instead she was the 6th wheel rent-a-player on a team that most UConn fans will feel failed. She’ll be forgotten by them in 5 years.

So she bailed on her teammates. Pretty much said she was too good for them. I’ll support Lexie, Becca, Kyra, Oderah, Leaonna, etc. over her any day.

One last thing: I went back and searched some articles about Geno’s comments when Azura transferred. Nowhere did he say he looked at her in high school and was always interested. Duke made her. There’s no 2 ways about it.

jimsumner
04-10-2018, 07:48 PM
I’ve been going back and forth on whether I should answer this, but you seemed to request a response. Also because I respect your opinion a lot, but you’ve really missed the mark here.

First, I probably will never feel warmly towards anyone that gives my alma mater a kick in the pants on their way out the door. But I wouldn’t call it a grudge. You’ve got to screw me over personally to get me there.

More to the point, so you’re saying that only 1 of the 4 recruiting services accurately evaluated Azura in high school. Well, make that 1 out of 5 because she wasn’t a McDonalds All-American. The McDonalds people got to see her as a senior. That argument just doesn’t hold water.

But let’s go with it. Accept that she was the 23rd best high school player. Our coaches still turned her into a consensus top-3 player in her class in 2 years. Please give me some examples of other players that have been developed like that by other coaching staffs. If there are any, there are certainly not many. How is that “way overstated”?

Re the other players you mention:

Alexis Jones: Her father was in a wheelchair, she was going to be out a year, I understood her going home. Do you have any info that she was unhappy? I never saw anything that suggested that. I hated that year. I really felt her and Chelsea could have delivered something special for us before they both got hurt. We were one of the top 2 teams in the country before Chelsea got hurt.

Angela Salvadores: I was always concerned about the language barrier with her. Especially after I saw interviews well into the year and she was not close to fluent. I couldn’t even imagine going to a top university under another language, so kudos to her for even trying. But I wasn’t surprised that she went back to Spain. Wish Coach P would have handled that one better.

Sierra Calhoun: She averaged 10.1 points and 3.8 rebounds in 13 games as a freshman. Three years later she averaged 11.6 and 3.8 for Ohio State. Yeah, she really got coached up in Columbus.

Chelsea Hopkins: Didn’t really remember her, had to look up some stats. She wanted more playing time, nothing wrong with that. And then I noticed she left in 2010. She was already playing behind Jasmine Thomas, and Chelsea Gray was on the way. Talk about a no-brainer.

Sierra Moore: Another one that went home. Also probably wanted more minutes. I had lost track of her. The team she joined went 27-35 in her 2 years (she was injured all junior year) and never played in the NCAA Tournament. Maybe it was just homesickness.

Importantly, I don’t remember any of them flaming the program as they left.

Finally, part of it may be that we would have been a legit Final Four prospect each of the last 2 years with her. I know a lot of people don’t like Coach P but she probably saw that too so I give her a pass on her comments (though she should have kept it to herself). Especially when Azura said she was looking for player development. What a slap after what had been done for her.

She could have been a star that led her team to new heights, probably gotten her jersey retired, been a legend. Instead she was the 6th wheel rent-a-player on a team that most UConn fans will feel failed. She’ll be forgotten by them in 5 years.

So she bailed on her teammates. Pretty much said she was too good for them. I’ll support Lexie, Becca, Kyra, Oderah, Leaonna, etc. over her any day.

One last thing: I went back and searched some articles about Geno’s comments when Azura transferred. Nowhere did he say he looked at her in high school and was always interested. Duke made her. There’s no 2 ways about it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

No two ways about it.

dudog84
04-10-2018, 09:12 PM

No two ways about it.

Good enough for me. How boring if we all agreed all the time.

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2018, 11:27 PM

No two ways about it.

Good enough for me. How boring if we all agreed all the time.

Clap-Clap-Clap cheer for both of you. That was a well reasoned debate. Enjoyed both sides.