PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill to be inducted in Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame

kAzE
03-29-2018, 11:45 AM
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/979382719590395906/

Congrats Grant!!!! Huge moment for Duke basketball.

Truth&Justise
03-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Fantastic! Well-deserved, congrats to Grant Hill.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Great for Grant...I hate we didn't get to see him without that devastating injury suffered in something like year 2 of his NBA career. I hate it for Grant, and I hate it for all Duke fans. A healthy Grant for his entire career would mean we wouldn't have to even acknowledge Mr Ceiling is the Roof....

This is also good...don't think Grant will be getting into the sportscaster/writers hall anytime soon.....(couldn't resist - I thought he was horrible in the Kansas game.)

fraggler
03-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Great for Grant...I hate we didn't get to see him without that devastating injury suffered in something like year 2 of his NBA career. I hate it for Grant, and I hate it for all Duke fans. A healthy Grant for his entire career would mean we wouldn't have to even acknowledge Mr Ceiling is the Roof...

This is also good...don't think Grant will be getting into the sportscaster/writers hall anytime soon....(couldn't resist - I thought he was horrible in the Kansas game.)

End of year 6, which allowed him to establish himself as an All-NBA player and now, Hall of Famer.

duke4ever19
03-29-2018, 01:01 PM
A lot of people in the comment section of that twitter post are questioning Grant Hill's worthiness.

The people questioning Grant Hill's induction are either (1) too young to remember his college career, or (2) fail to realize that it's not the NBA hall of fame, it's the basketball hall of fame. Based on Hill's total career, he deserves to be in the hall.

Tripping William
03-29-2018, 01:13 PM
This is absolutely awesome! Not only for Grant's well-deserved induction, but because it removes the very last sling-and-arrow that some Tar Heel relatives have directed at me about how "Dean was better than K."

"Dean coached all of these HOF'ers," they say. "K coached none."

Of course, until now, my retort has been, "Yeah, Dean had all those HOF'ers and won two titles. K won five titles, without a single HOF'er. Says a bit about coaching, doesn't it?" (No one ever said these particular relatives were all that bright.)

Congrats to Grant!

kako
03-29-2018, 01:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRAMM3rZw8

At the time, alley oops like this NEVER happened, much less in the NCAA championship game. KU (with not so Ol' Roy as the coach) never had a chance.

Congrats to GHill!

Duke79UNLV77
03-29-2018, 01:29 PM
A lot of people in the comment section of that twitter post are questioning Grant Hill's worthiness.

The people questioning Grant Hill's induction are either (1) too young to remember his college career, or (2) fail to realize that it's not the NBA hall of fame, it's the basketball hall of fame. Based on Hill's total career, he deserves to be in the hall.

Or don’t realize how great of an NBA player he was. For a 6 year period, he accumulated a combination of points, assists, and rebounds only matched by Bird, LeBron, and Oscar Robinson. Even after injuries, he played long enough to amass excellent career totals.

ipatent
03-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Well deserved, congrats #33. Still my favorite player at Duke.

ehdg
03-29-2018, 01:46 PM
Congrats Grant!!!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 01:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRAMM3rZw8

At the time, alley oops like this NEVER happened, much less in the NCAA championship game. KU (with not so Ol' Roy as the coach) never had a chance.

Congrats to GHill!

This is one of the highlights I show my kids to introduce them to when Duke became Duke...which was really 86 through 92, especially the back to back years of 91-92. I can still hear the call by Jim Nantz in my head..."I never thought he could SAVE IT...let alone DUNK IT." (I guess I can go to your video and see if that's an accurate quote...)

UPDATE: Ah, this video only has Packer talking through the replay - Nantz not featured on this clip. Not a bad reference by Billy P to David Thompson however...

Billy Dat
03-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Due to injury, Grant was borderline HOF based on his NBA career but he is a classic example of a guy that most people want in so he got in. His overall basketball resume certainly earns it for him, even if his NBA resume likely came up just a bit short due to all the years he lost due to injury.

In his prime, he earned one first team all NBA and 4 second team all NBAs, plus he was rookie of the year. Those were consecutive over his first six years in the league. That's an amazing first 6 years...had he been able to continue that trend for another 4 years, we wouldn't even have to debate it, and one assumes he would have continued that way.

Who could be the next K player to make the Hall? Basketball Reference gives Elton a 70% chance based on his career, which probably won't get it done. I think we'll be waiting to see how the 2010+ generation fares.

dyemeduke
03-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Call me a homer, but I disagree strongly when people say that Grant Hill is a borderline HOF'er or that he's making it in due to his college career or personality. The guy was awesome as a pro before his injury. Also, the Naismith HOF is effectively a pro HOF for men, otherwise Laettner (who I consider a top 5 college player of all time would be in). Grant deserves it - he's like a Gale Sayers - short, spectacular careers. Anyone watching him play saw how special he was. Additionally, while MLB has the most exclusive HOF, and then NFL...the Naismith HOF lets most people in that deserve it. There are many guys in the Naismith that are in that make me scratch my head. Mutombo? I'm a Denver native and love the Nuggets, but the guy isn't HOF worthy imo. But whatever, he's in; cool. Grant definitely deserves to be in.

Acymetric
03-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Due to injury, Grant was borderline HOF based on his NBA career but he is a classic example of a guy that most people want in so he got in. His overall basketball resume certainly earns it for him, even if his NBA resume likely came up just a bit short due to all the years he lost due to injury.

In his prime, he earned one first team all NBA and 4 second team all NBAs, plus he was rookie of the year. Those were consecutive over his first six years in the league. That's an amazing first 6 years...had he been able to continue that trend for another 4 years, we wouldn't even have to debate it, and one assumes he would have continued that way.

Who could be the next K player to make the Hall? Basketball Reference gives Elton a 70% chance based on his career, which probably won't get it done. I think we'll be waiting to see how the 2010+ generation fares.

If I had been a bit older and more into the NBA those years, I probably would have been telling anyone who would listen that he should have been 1st team at least one more of those years, but there's no shame in making second team behind Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, and Kevin Garnett to be sure.

Bull City Proud
03-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Congrats to Grant. Great player and person.

YmoBeThere
03-31-2018, 06:35 PM
I didn't notice this as a thread already:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/basketball-hall-of-fame-ray-allen-jason-kidd-steve-nash-grant-hill-headline-2018-class/

YmoBeThere
03-31-2018, 09:51 PM
I didn't notice this as a thread already:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/basketball-hall-of-fame-ray-allen-jason-kidd-steve-nash-grant-hill-headline-2018-class/

Whoops, a couple days late and a couple dollars short.

kAzE
04-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Oof . . . Grant has his own meme now

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2018/3/31/17184950/grant-hill-face-moe-wagner-ncaa-basketball-final-four-meme

kAzE
08-28-2018, 10:21 PM
https://player.fm/series/the-woj-pod/grant-hill

Great conversation between Woj and Grant, talking about his basketball journey from Duke to the Naismith Hall of Fame. I highly recommend this one :D

camion
08-28-2018, 10:59 PM
Is it surprising that I’m not even a little bit surprised?

Congrats to Grant.

jv001
08-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Thanks for picking Duke University as your school of choice and not transferring because you doubted yourself. I sure didn't doubt you. You have been a great role model for young basketballers around the world. GoGrant and GoDuke!

gep
09-12-2018, 03:02 AM
Just saw this... Grant Hill and Jason Kidd... Hall of Fame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtCQ9Yhfz4U

mutual admiration

NSDukeFan
09-12-2018, 07:22 AM
This is one of my favourite Hall of Fame classes. Grant Hill is one of my all-time favourite Dukies, Steve Nash is one of my favourite all-time players and the best Canadian player ever; I always liked Ray Allen a lot as well as Jason Kidd. Fantastic class!