PDA

View Full Version : Duke Alum Lefty Driesell to Hall of Fame

ipatent
03-29-2018, 12:06 AM
Link (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/naismith-hall-of-fame-finally-does-right-by-lefty-and-votes-in-driesell/2018/03/28/81dad42e-32f2-11e8-94fa-32d48460b955_story.html?utm_term=.8fbba35e33d1)

Long overdue, IMO.

heyman25
03-29-2018, 12:33 AM
Long overdue. He was punished unfairly by the Len Bias OD.

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2018, 08:49 AM
Skull cap claps.
Well deserved.

devildeac
03-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Many thanks,

X

(I went to Duke and never learned how to write-Lefty)

(paraphrasing)

Agreed. Long overdue. Congrats.

BeachBlueDevil
03-29-2018, 09:54 AM
About time. I'm from Norfolk like Lefty and yes, he's maaaaaaaaaany years older. But he has always been a legend around here and glad to see his legacy getting cemented as an inductee in the Naismith Hall of Fame.

kako
03-29-2018, 01:16 PM
So happy Lefty got finally inducted. Well deserved.

My two favorite memories:

- Lefty came into Cameron pre-game with Maryland, and students were wearing the skull caps and chanting, "Baldy, Baldy, Baldy". He ignored the chants and sat down on the bench. Then he pulled out a comb and combed his chrome dome. Cameron went wild.

- On some old Jefferson Pilot showing of a Carolina game, Lefty briefly showed up as a guest color guy while still as a coach. He predicted exactly what Dean Smith (not Carolina, but El Deano himself) would do on practically every set. The play by play guy (Thacker?) asked if he knew what was going to happen, why he couldn't stop it? Lefty said, in his drawl, something to effect of "yeah, I hate Dean" (but very nicely).

ehdg
03-29-2018, 01:45 PM
About Damn time!! Lefty has been much deserving of this honor and imo it only took this long cause of the untimely passing of Len Bias that he was made a scapegoat for. Congrats Lefty so happy they did this while you
could still enjoy the honor!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 03:57 PM
About Damn time!! Lefty has been much deserving of this honor and imo it only took this long cause of the untimely passing of Len Bias that he was made a scapegoat for. Congrats Lefty so happy they did this while you
could still enjoy the honor!

Agreed...several posts on this theme, and I think it's obviously the case. Well deserved Lefty!

On a related topic, can you imagine the Celtics forward combo of Bird and Bias? YEESH!

JStuart
03-29-2018, 04:23 PM
Many thanks,

X

(I went to Duke and never learned how to write-Lefty)

(paraphrasing)

Agreed. Long overdue. Congrats.

A great story!

I had the privilege of playing in the Davidson Pep Band my freshman year, lefty's last, and watched from the sidelines as Charlie Scott hit an impossible last second shot in Landover Maryland, to beat Davidson in the East Regional finals.
Years later, he spoke at a reunion, and related that Scott and Mike Maloy were looking forward to playing together at Davidson, but Scott called him and tearfully backed out, as he had been 'persuaded' to attend unc. Ironic that his shot kept Lefty from a Final Four berth.

Another story I heard when Lefty was coaching a t Georgia Southern(?), and Smith had just retired, and someone asked Lefty if he thought he could overtake Dean's win record...Driesell said, 'Awww, if I got close, you know he'd come out of retirement'.

JTH
03-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Always a favorite of mine.

My favorite of the many, many great Lefty moments was his TV interview before an epic showdown between Virginia w/ Ralph Sampson and a really formidable team from cheater hill. The game was really hyped and before the game they showed how all the ACC coaches responded to the question of who they wanted to win or who they thought would win. All the other coaches went to great lengths with politically correct, unbiased assessments that basically all translated into, well, they didn't know but were looking forward to a great game by two excellent teams.

Lefty answered very bluntly to the effect "I don't know but I hope they both lose." That was probably closer to what everyone was actually thinking.

53n206
03-29-2018, 07:43 PM
About time. I'm from Norfolk like Lefty and yes, he's maaaaaaaaaany years older. But he has always been a legend around here and glad to see his legacy getting cemented as an inductee in the Naismith Hall of Fame.

Norfolk also. Duke i yr after he left. Always followed Lefty. Great to see him finally recognized.

devildeac
03-29-2018, 07:50 PM
From Lefty's skull cap:

:o

jv001
03-29-2018, 08:54 PM
Norfolk also. Duke i yr after he left. Always followed Lefty. Great to see him finally recognized.

Gramby High School? Correct? My ex graduated from there. GoDuke!

53n206
03-29-2018, 11:28 PM
Gramby High School? Correct? My ex graduated from there. GoDuke!

Granby. Nice to remember your "ex'.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-29-2018, 11:46 PM
It's astounding what he was building at tiny Davidson College....to think he almost had Malloy and Charlie Scott on the same Davidson team. Just mind boggling.

Reilly
03-30-2018, 01:25 AM
... He was punished unfairly by the Len Bias OD.

... it only took this long cause of the untimely passing of Len Bias that he was made a scapegoat for ...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-06/sports/ct-spt-0407-haugh-depaul-oliver-purnell--20100406_1_oliver-purnell-depaul-campus-college-basketball

Lefty's funny, a character, a live wire, and a big part of the glory days of the ACC. That said, he's not a saint (none of us are).

davidson
03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-04-06/sports/ct-spt-0407-haugh-depaul-oliver-purnell--20100406_1_oliver-purnell-depaul-campus-college-basketball

Lefty's funny, a character, a live wire, and a big part of the glory days of the ACC. That said, he's not a saint (none of us are).

While the story linked by Reilly has been around for a while, I do not believe there is any truth to it. The Washington Post article from a few days ago addressed it as follows:

“Even though Maryland had to pay Driesell for the remainder of his 10-year contract because it could find no wrongdoing on his part, Bias’s death became part of urban legend, including an oft-repeated story that Driesell had suggested to assistant coach Oliver Purnell that Bias’s room be somehow cleansed before the police arrived.

Grand jury testimony shows that never happened and, in fact, Driesell had received a call earlier from someone suggesting the room be cleaned up and had told all his assistants that no one was to go near the room.

Still, the legend persisted, and the story would come up periodically from Hall of Fame voters as a reason they kept Driesell out. “

A great article making the case for Lefty, if anyone is interested:

https://theathletic.com/167659/2018/03/29/the-case-for-lefty-driesell/

Reilly
03-31-2018, 10:04 PM
While the story linked by Reilly has been around for a while, I do not believe there is any truth to it ... [/url]

Given my connection to some of the people involved, I believe there is truth to it.

And, I've been told other Lefty stories by others about every advantage being pressed and every corner being cut.

DukeandMdFan
03-31-2018, 10:30 PM
While the story linked by Reilly has been around for a while, I do not believe there is any truth to it. The Washington Post article from a few days ago addressed it as follows:

“Even though Maryland had to pay Driesell for the remainder of his 10-year contract because it could find no wrongdoing on his part, Bias’s death became part of urban legend, including an oft-repeated story that Driesell had suggested to assistant coach Oliver Purnell that Bias’s room be somehow cleansed before the police arrived.

Grand jury testimony shows that never happened and, in fact, Driesell had received a call earlier from someone suggesting the room be cleaned up and had told all his assistants that no one was to go near the room.

FWIW, the overdose was not in Bias's room. It happened (June 19, 1986) during summer school. Bias was not enrolled at the time. Bias was hanging our with a few basketball players and drug dealer, Brian Tribble.

Congratulations Lefty!

BigWayne
09-10-2018, 11:52 PM
Induction speech. Entertaining 15 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTSZxE73aHQ

Indoor66
09-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Congratulations to the lefthander. Lefty is always a hoot. Thanks for posting. I am so happy he was honored while he is still with us.

Indoor66
09-11-2018, 08:06 AM
It's astounding what he was building at tiny Davidson College...to think he almost had Malloy and Charlie Scott on the same Davidson team. Just mind boggling.

His big star at Davidson was Fred Hetzel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hetzel), a 6'8" forward from the DC area. Hetzel had committed to Duke and was to have the last available scholarship. A guy named Art Heyman decided to come to Duke and Hetzel had to go. Vic and Eddie Cameron steered him to Davidson to be sure he was not in the Conference for his career. That move helped both Duke and Davidson. It also helped make Lefty's coaching career as Hetzel and Terry Holland became the nucleus of the great Davidson teams of the 60's.

sagegrouse
09-11-2018, 08:27 AM
His big star at Davidson was Fred Hetzel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hetzel), a 6'8" forward from the DC area. Hetzel had committed to Duke and was to have the last available scholarship. A guy named Art Heyman decided to come to Duke and Hetzel had to go. Vic and Eddie Cameron steered him to Davidson to be sure he was not in the Conference for his career. That move helped both Duke and Davidson. It also helped make Lefty's coaching career as Hetzel and Terry Holland became the nucleus of the great Davidson teams of the 60's.

Indoor, I believe that the player involved was Bill Bradley -- both were class of 1965. We ended up losing both of them.

Indoor66
09-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Indoor, I believe that the player involved was Bill Bradley -- both were class of 1965. We ended up losing both of them.

You are correct; it was Bradley. I am getting like Lefty (only I don't have a wife of 66 years.)

OldPhiKap
09-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Always liked when Lefty came to town.

His '85-'86 Terp team was one of my favorite non-Duke teams.